PDA

View Full Version : Oiling Or N0t??

sana junaid
July 19th, 2011, 09:34 PM
i have a questions about oiling ..is it benificial for your hairs if you do oiling from roots to tips or just to the ends? few dollops or heavy oiling?and what you guys think .. oiling is important or n0t ?

Oldfashioned
July 19th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Oiling is important! Problem is with finding out how much works for you... I did WAY too much the first time and I did it from root to tip! What works for me is to seperate my hair into two sections, put a very little oil in my hand (I use coconut), brush it over the tips of my BBB, and work from the bottom up to about my ears on each side. Then if I have any left on my brush, I glide it across the top hair to calm the frizzies a little. I have a good bit of damage from the metal on my old elastics and the occassional straightening so the oiling is helping a lot!

RitaCeleste
July 19th, 2011, 09:50 PM
I like oiling my hair. I wait until its almost dried or just dried, part it and pull it over my shoulders, and use a few drops from the neck/ears down, if I have a little oil left on my hands I run them over the rest. Occasionally I like to leave a mix of EVOO, a table spoon of honey, and some conditioner on my hair as a deep treatment. That mix can be left on over night but I haven't been brave enough to sleep with nothing but a cap between that and the bed. I've liked coconut, EVOO, and meadowfoam seed oil so far.

ange1ito
July 19th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Definately oiling you just have to try a few before you find the right one for yourself.

MaryLA
July 19th, 2011, 10:38 PM
I love oiling my hair! I use Extra Virgin Coconut Oil that I bought off GNC's website. I keep the jar in my refrigerator so the oil will last longer. I oil my hair the night before I shampoo/cond. I only oil the length section, not the scalp hair. You don't want to put so much oil that its dripping out of your hair. I normally put enough oil so my hair feels slightly oily. I let my hair soak up the oil overnight, then wash it out the next morning. I usually braid my hair after oiling. After washing, my hair feels so soft and silky. This routine may not work for you, so just experiment and find what you like!

ladyfey
July 19th, 2011, 10:44 PM
I've never oiled my hair and it is knee-length and in great shape, so I would say not important. I think I am in the minority here though! :) I do know others with hair even longer than mine who also never oil, but to each their own!

Madora
July 19th, 2011, 10:48 PM
I never let oil touch my hair (my brush kept my hair in great shape) BUT LHC member JOJO told me about the benefits of an EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) treatment...and she was right!

It was very easy to do and I used very little oil and the results were amazing! Soft, lovely hair with tremendous slip, which I really appreciated since it made braiding such a breeze! A real treasure when you're working with braids!

aliceinmadness
July 19th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Oil is like salt (in cooking) - it's easy to put it in, harder to take it out. I use 4 or 5 drops on lightly damp hair (2 or so drops on dry hair)...just enough to get a sheen on my hands. Then I VERY lightly run my hands through my hair where my layers start from SL all the way down to TBL. If I still have some left I'll concentrate it on the very tips. I add a teeny bit every day and it keeps my hair smooth, shiny and manageable without using conditioner.

I wouldn't do roots/scalp unless there's a problem like dry skin...sebum is generally sufficient for that area.

McFearless
July 19th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Oils have many uses. To coat the strands and protect them, to lock in moisture, to soak in and make the hair soft, to help detangle, encourage growth when applied to the scalp, cure an itchy scalp, prevent protein loss, or all of the above. I can't say it will do everything for everyone, but most people can get something out of oiling their hair.

Different oils do different things. Coconut and olive oil can penetrate the shaft. Oils with ceremides like Safflower and Grapeseed coat and strengthen the hair.

Not only are there different oils for different goals, but there are lots of ways to use them. On damp hair to lock in moisture, dry hair as a pre-wash treatment. You have a lot of options but its all trial and error. You won't know if your hair likes oil unless you try. Like aliceinmadness said, its easier to apply than remove so always start with a few drops and don't add anymore until your next wash or at least a few days. Its best to go slowly.

sana junaid
July 22nd, 2011, 03:55 AM
thanks for the replies i will try coconut oil today :) m0re suggestions and tips are welcome !