PDA

View Full Version : Why did you join LHC?

C.H.
July 19th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I think it's safe to assume that each of us lurked for some period of time before becoming a member of LHC.

I'd like to know, how long did you lurk? And what finally motivated you to actually join up?

I personally only lurked for maybe a week or two before joining. I just had to see pictures of ya'lls hair.

Zesty
July 19th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I lurked for a couple of weeks. I really wanted to be able to see people's profiles and pictures, and since I'm internet-talkative (though IRL shy) I wanted to be able to add to threads! And of course be narcissistic and post pictures of the back of my head, etc. etc.

pocketsmall
July 19th, 2011, 07:27 PM
My sister (vanillabones) lead me on to LHC. I'm so inspired by her progress and new approach to hair health, I cannot believe how much differently she treats her hair after finding this site.

boomtownrat
July 19th, 2011, 07:29 PM
I lurked for a couple of months. As I recall, it was the CO-washing thread and/or the Salt & Pepper thread that convinced me to sign up so I could communicate with people here and see photos.

Sundial
July 19th, 2011, 07:33 PM
I lurked for about a year? At first I just came to get information on how to rehabilitate my chemically processed hair, then later I came back to troubleshoot gummy roots and velcro ends (turned out to be buildup). Subsequently I signed up because I was curious about all those action pictures of hairtoys and updos. They wouldn't show up without a member account with a certain minimum number of posts.

Like what someone stated in her signature: "I came, I saw, I stuck around" :p

trolleypup
July 19th, 2011, 07:34 PM
I lurked for a couple hours, and promptly got nailed on one of my earliest posts. Umm.

AlexiaBlue
July 19th, 2011, 07:37 PM
I did a Google search for growing long hair faster, which somehow led me to Suicide Eve's post about using Monistat. Using MN on my head for hair growth fascinated and intrigued me so much that I spent hours poring through that and a million other threads on LHC. I was an immediate convert and signed up about a day or two after finding the community. :D

battles
July 19th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I can't remember what exactly I was searching for. Probably just about growing long hair. I lurked for maybe 2 days, and signed up. :)

Kyla
July 19th, 2011, 07:46 PM
I first heard about it from listener mail read on the podcast Stuff Mom Never Told You. The email was referencing an earlier podcast about long hair, and mentioned this site offhand. I was curious, looked it up, lurked for about three weeks and joined. :)

PolythenePam
July 19th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Every time I would do a google search on something hair related LHC would pop up. I lurked for probably about a year. Not being able to see photos finally broke me.

Madora
July 19th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Never lurked. I was a member over at Frank P's Long Hair Site and when it disbanded, I remember someone mentioning LHC so joined up because I was curious to see what other hairstyling mavens might have up their sleeves.

Enjoying new hairstyles (particularly braids) was what I hoped to see, and I haven't been disappointed!

MissManda
July 19th, 2011, 07:53 PM
I found LHC through the Long Hair Loom, which I found through a Google image search for long wavy hair because I was looking for some inspirational photos for one of my art projects. :)

I found a very drool-worthy photo of a member's hair and so I poked around the site I found for a while and found more pictures of beautiful hair, some of them of hair that I thought was similar to mine at the time (I used to think I had 1a hair, but I know that's not the case now). I had already been attempting to grow my hair down to my butt for almost a year, so I found the long hair boards to be extremely useful. :D

jujube
July 19th, 2011, 08:06 PM
I don't actually remember. I know that I was just starting to grow out my pixie and that I found LHC when searching for tips to get long hair faster. I guess I joined because I had so many questions to ask.

Melon Collie
July 19th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I lurked for a little over a year. I was looking for hair growing tips and I was lead here. :)

RitaCeleste
July 19th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Well, I joined up with in a few days. I had tried to turn black cherry hair back to red using 30 developer, then I color stripped it, and recolored with the 20 developer. Thought my hair was toast and went to a local beauty supply and bought some stuff for it. It was dry and brittle so I tried Aphogee 2 step and looked like a Pomeranian, had to douse with EVOO. I cut 2 1/2 inches off way too soon. Some of the products didn't work so I went online seeking advice to straighten out my mess. I visited a few hair sites. This one didn't charge a fee, members were many and active. I learned so much reading articles, and from helpful advice. My hair was saved! Its happier now than it has been in years.

SheaLynne
July 19th, 2011, 08:37 PM
I found LHC when looking for updos that I could do with almost waist-length hair...and an explanation of *why* I couldn't do any of the updos in my long hair styling book (turns out my thickness of hair requires more length...thanks LHC!)

I felt I had found all the information I had been missing all my life, and I lurked for a couple of weeks, but had to see the photos of the updos I wanted to learn! No turning back now!

Oldfashioned
July 19th, 2011, 08:43 PM
I only lurked for a couple days and got hooked! I had gotten the "mommy" haircut and wasn't happy with it so I wanted to grow it to BSL again. Silly me, I thought that was long! :D I wanted to join between all the good hair advice and camradarie. I can be shy IRL...

Persephone
July 19th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I think I lurked for an evening, maybe a day or two before I joined. I remember having a strong impression of vain snobs. But I stuck around long enough to realize that's not true! :)

I can't remember exactly why I joined. I already had what I thought was pretty long hair. But I do like learning new styles, and learning new hair care recipes, so that's why I've stuck around- and come back! :)

Fairlight63
July 19th, 2011, 08:52 PM
I think that I joined really soon. I wanted to find out how to take care of long hair because I had never had long hair before & wanted to find out all of the secrets to having long healthy hair.
I also wanted to find out how to do new long hairstyles.

Nae
July 19th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Ya'll seemed pretty nice and funny, plus you had great hair. Obviously there was much to learn since my hair was miserably short at the time. Tada! Here I am.......can't get rid of me now!

skraprchik
July 19th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I came to LHC following an interest in hair toys. I lurked for maybe a week before I joined because I really wanted to be able to see the photos.

Poppy Seed
July 19th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Can't remember how long I lurked for. Probably not that long as the reason I found LHC was to get new updo ideas for my hair - I wanted to get past the stage of "I only do the same three dos and I'm bored, maybe I should cut it..."

And as has already been mentioned, there are not many visible pictures for lurkers :D

Also, at the time I worked in a call centre, and they permitted us to browse the internet if there were no calls coming in, so it made sense.

slo2gro
July 19th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Every google search i did regarding hair led me here however, i kept thinking my hair was too short for me to be a member lol I lurked for a long time probably two to three months. I read felt overwhelmed left came back, and so on. Then finally joined thought well hell i have some thoughts and questions and want to jump in so imma join so here i am lol

Yozhik
July 19th, 2011, 08:58 PM
I lurked for about a month. I had much more time on my hands than I ever had before, recently having graduated and then jobless, so I poked around the internet for natural beauty/body information. If I remember correctly, the cones/no cones debate led me here. :)

Aerin
July 19th, 2011, 08:59 PM
I was google searching velcro rollers (for maybe sleeping in them) and came across this site saying something about how velcro rollers were really bad. Maybe not heat damage bad, but bad anyway. Kind of got sidetracked and started poking around the rest of the site. Never imagined all the stuff I didn't know about long hair. Never really had success growing it much past shoulder length.

nocojojo
July 19th, 2011, 09:00 PM
I discovered LHC looking for alternatives to traditional shampooing and joined because of the kind, giving community. One day I will be a longhair and I'll have something helpful to contribute. One day . . .

proo
It was the WO thread, still is.

growingpains
I lurked for a least a year before joining, then another year before posting as I forgot the name I used to sign up for awhile.

I finally got sick of spending so much time on here and not posting and rectified that.

nocojojo
July 19th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Aaack! I'd love to be able to do that. I cannot manage to stretch my washings. At all. I'm still an every morning girl. Maybe I should absorb some of that WO wisdom. How's it working for you?

Sunshineliz
July 19th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I first visited the site several months before I joined. Got directed there the first time by other washing methods mentioned on a little girl curly hair blog. Then ended up here on a few hair related google searches. Didn't stay too long. Then I chopped my hair, immediately regretted it and started looking up ways to grow healthy long hair again--again occasionally ending up on this site. But I finally joined when I had my "gray hair is good!" epiphany and found the Renegrays! Love them!

(And being able to use the search function and see pictures played a big role too:))

Hotrox
July 19th, 2011, 09:17 PM
There was a thread dedicated to Ultrabella's massive head eating sock bun - I just had to see her hair :D

Raiscake
July 19th, 2011, 09:19 PM
I don't remember how I found LHC, but I'm pretty sure it was through Google. I lurked on and off for a few months before I became genuinely interested in growing my hair out. Then I joined, lurked a bit more for a few weeks, then finally made a thread in the newbie forums. :P

QueenJoey
July 19th, 2011, 09:57 PM
I get oddly obsessive about things once I'm slightly into them. about 3 months ago I just decided I wanted super long hair and did extensive research on any and all products, treatments, any thing that could possibly speed the process. Many of my google searches led me to LHC. I lurked for about a week, but I really wanted to join in on all the interesting conversations. I finally joined when I saw that it was free. ;)

ETA: During my research, I also found CinnamonHair's website, and was totally in awe of her hair. Seeing that she was on LHC made me wonder what other great tips were here that could help someone get such great hair as her. Thanks CinnamonHair!

kme81
July 19th, 2011, 10:17 PM
I think I was looking for hairdos because I was BSL length for the first time in my life and completely bun-impaired...and I'd say I lurked only until I saw Madora's avatar pic, I really love braids. I also found Torrinpaige on youtube around the time I found this site, she just helped to reinforce becoming a member of this amazing site!
(Translation: Thank you Torrin and Madora!!!)

C.H.
July 19th, 2011, 10:18 PM
I get oddly obsessive about things once I'm slightly into them. about 3 months ago I just decided I wanted super long hair and did extensive research on any and all products, treatments, any thing that could possibly speed the process. Many of my google searches led me to LHC. I lurked for about a week, but I really wanted to join in on all the interesting conversations. I finally joined when I saw that it was free. ;)

ETA: During my research, I also found CinnamonHair's website, and was totally in awe of her hair. Seeing that she was on LHC made me wonder what other great tips were here that could help someone get such great hair as her. Thanks CinnamonHair!

God, me too. I only seem to ever really focus on one thing at a time and I completely (obsessively) immerse myself in that one thing for a period of time until I seem to have gotten my fill and then I move on to something else...and on and on. I really do find it odd.

QueenJoey
July 19th, 2011, 10:28 PM
I only seem to ever really focus on one thing at a time and I completely (obsessively) immerse myself in that one thing for a period of time until I seem to have gotten my fill and then I move on to something else...and on and on. I really do find it odd.

Yes, that's me, too! Word for word. Wow, I was so worried I was the only one, but I'm very glad I'm not alone.

KLin
July 19th, 2011, 10:34 PM
In 2007 or 2008 I was on a mothering site that had a curly girl thread. Someone posted silicone free information 'from our friends at LHC' so I came lurking for information.

Had a bad hair chop from almost waist to BSL and was miserable, with un-asked for layers. Worked on growing out again.

I forgot about LHC for about a year then came lurking again, joined in Dec 2010 with a goal to get to hip or beyond.

Have spent 6 months working on hair health and no trim challenge.

C.H.
July 19th, 2011, 10:46 PM
I remember now--I was searching for sulfate-free shampoos...

Then I found information on the various heat-free straightening techniques and got really sucked in by that. Immediately intrigued by oiling. At first it was really overwhelming...every topic seem to spawn a bunch of other corollary topics, every thread pointed to several other threads. But I stuck with it and eventually got a grip on all the basics.

sun-kissed
July 19th, 2011, 10:47 PM
I found the LHC during the early stage of my long-hair obsession [] on Google in a search for WO hair care. Upon seeing that you all seemed to be very nice people, and know what you're talking about, I got interested.

After lurking for about a week, I gave in and joined once I couldn't stand it any longer not being able to see the pictures of yall's hair!

I also found a few websites with gals who where members of this forum, and found LHC mentioned on Youtube, so I realized how big this place really was. I was just so excited that there is this huge online community for people who enjoy doing the [I]right things for their hair, instead of the normal things.

I <3 ya'll!

TheCaityCat
July 19th, 2011, 10:53 PM
I joined because I need moral support and inspiration/motivation for growing my hair out from a short A-line cut! This place gets a lot of recommendations from other people with long hair and who are knowledgeable about hair care.

teal
July 19th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Scouring the internets for no-poo information, which led to tips for taking care of longer hair, which led me here. Lurked for a few days or maybe a week before requesting an account, because I had burning questions that were just about bursting out!

I'm really glad for the community here. It makes me nostalgic for my old Quake 3 clan forum where people actually cared about what they said and didn't hide behind their forum persona to be mean.

racrane
July 19th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Actually, I was trying to find information about Sarah Brightman; I love her voice and her hair. Anyway, I was also planning on growing my hair longer and was looking for inspiration. I found this on google search and lurked for about 3 days, then signed up.

fandango
July 19th, 2011, 11:25 PM
I just joined! I think I found this site about a year ago, looking for info on CO-washing. I'm on uni holidays now and I've found myself visiting the site almost daily, trying to absorb all the information; making mental lists of things to buy (seamless comb, oils). But I really want to see all the pretty hairstyles, especially the braids.

Slinks
July 19th, 2011, 11:37 PM
an e-mail pen pal of mine and I had mentioned that we were growing our hair long and grey, she pointed me in the direction of LHC and a few other hair forums (that do not interest me .. lol, I joined before she did !! :-) we lurked together and wrote about this thread and that post ..

Quezie
July 19th, 2011, 11:43 PM
I initially joined because I was interested in henna, and trying to get my hair healthy again.
Then when I really started to consciously grow my hair, I joined. (:

PraiseCheeses
July 19th, 2011, 11:52 PM
I was researching the oil-cleansing method and someone linked to LHC in one of their comments, saying something to the effect of "I'd love to know what those ladies put in their hair - it's so gorgeous!" Well, I'd been no-poo for a year before that and was curious, so I "peeked in." Hah! I was hooked - so many different ideas, so many interesting people, and a great atmosphere. I lurked around for a month or so, and then decided to participate.

Athena's Owl
July 19th, 2011, 11:55 PM
I was on the Naturallycurly forum and people there told me about LHC, so I barged right over and joined.

MissAlida
July 20th, 2011, 12:00 AM
I lurked for 1-2 weeks. I searched for photos and articles about long hair, and somehow always ended up on LHC. I think what finally made me register was curiosity...I was dying to see the pictures, and the updos, and beautiful healthy long hair, not just the photoshopped pictures from google or yahoo.But the most important thing that made me register was the fact that, back when I was just lurking, I found a thread about hybrid wash that helped me get rid of the 2 types of shampoo used one after another on my whole lenght, followed by conditioner. I registered to thank the member for her great advice, but never found that thread again:(.

Slinks
July 20th, 2011, 12:05 AM
I registered to thank the member for her great advice, but never found that thread again:(.
lol ... yeah they get lost in a sea of threads don't they :-)

KittyLost
July 20th, 2011, 01:09 AM
I first found the site in 2007, when I had barely BSL hair and wanted to grow longer. It was layered so I cut it all to blunt Shoulder and followed random advice on here on how to make it grow faster and I reached BSL again in just over a year. I forgot about LHC after that. I straightened the hell out of it, got layers and then eventually had to cut to Shoulder again where I enjoyed shorter lengths. Then last year I decided I wanted long hair again, refound the website and joined a few days later because it was free and to strengthen my resolve to grow healthy hair.

So I was a lurker for 3years haha.

pixiestar
July 20th, 2011, 01:30 AM
I found lhc when I was googling for info on colouring grey hair with cassia and henna. I lurked for a couple of months before I decided to take the plunge and try henna. So I joined up to get help with all my questions, and to see more pictures:D

EmiliaF
July 20th, 2011, 02:45 AM
I found TLHC when I was googling hair sticks. I had accidentally discovered that a pen can hold my hair up all day without it hurting. I couldn't find any hair sticks in any shop in my town so I started to look online. I found this website, lurked for a few days and joined in the beginning of December :)

catarinalaree
July 20th, 2011, 03:11 AM
To me, it seemed like every Google search about really long hair brought me back to LHC so it only took me a few hours of lurking to join. I'm still a newbie and I'm not able to post threads yet but gosh, I've learned so much and it's great to get so much motivation and advice from people who are experiencing similar difficulties. For me, my problem is my seriously tortured hair (triple bleaching over henna, what was I thinking?!) and all I wanted to do was chop it all off but thanks to LHC, I'm on my way to classic length locks!

KlarissaD
July 20th, 2011, 03:13 AM
I wanted to grow my hair long again, back to my waist, because I used to have long hair as a child and I neeed more information and tips to get back there again.

Cania
July 20th, 2011, 03:18 AM
I lurked for about two weeks. Much like you, OP, I had to join to see the pictures!

Eolan
July 20th, 2011, 03:42 AM
I did a Google search, on "long hair" I think, and found this place. I didn't lurk before I joined, I think I joined the same day I found it. :) After that, I posted random for quite some time, it's only the last year or so that I started posting regularly.

As for why joining, for obvious reasons I got hooked. I thought it was like a dream come true! :D This place really means alot to me. All I know about long hair, I learned here.

I love you, LHC! :crush:

pink.sara
July 20th, 2011, 03:46 AM
I was Googling how to do different buns and couldn't figure out why most of them didn't work for me. Then I realised my thickness was the problem and even classic wasn't long enough for some.
About a month after joining I cut all my hair back to shoulder on a hairdressers advice as I wanted to go blonde.
And I've been here learning how to repair the damage and grow it back ever since :)

swetiepeti
July 20th, 2011, 03:49 AM
lurked a few weeks or maybe a month. Not being able to see the pictures, do a search or post a question motivated me to join. Oh, I looked originally because of a comment two different people made about me cutting my hair short once I turned 50. Irked me enough that the stubborn that runs strong in my family slipped out and made me want to grow my hair longer, and so I looked for long hair sites.

Night_Kitten
July 20th, 2011, 04:34 AM
I found LHC while googling for advice for long hair care...
I lurked for 8 months, and finally joined to be able to ask a question :)

Mina_Harker
July 20th, 2011, 04:36 AM
I hardly lurked at all. I joined the same day that I found the website. I love this site but I need to come on more often because I haven't posted enough to do everything:(

mrs_coffee
July 20th, 2011, 04:59 AM
I was searching for information on henna because I wanted to grow my hair out and thought henna would be a better option than box color. I'm not much of a lurker (as you can probably tell by my post count :o), so I joined within the first day or two of finding it.

pepperminttea
July 20th, 2011, 05:20 AM
It was Grahtoestudio that made me join up actually. :) Back when they did a discount for LHCers, Kim convo'ed me and asked if I was a member. She actually convo'd to ask if I was sure the fork wasn't too big for me, so I sent over a length shot, and that's when she asked if I was a member here. I thought she meant the longhair community on LiveJournal, said yes since I'd been mostly-lurking there for over a year, then googled and realised she must have meant here. So I joined up. :D She still gave me the discount when I told her, which was very kind.

A hairtoy addict from the beginning! :p

Finghin
July 20th, 2011, 05:26 AM
I originally was doing a search for "what's the white gunk on my scalp after I shower" and found a post on here with almost the exact title, one thing led to another and I only lurked about a week, I was too impatient to not join.

Neneka
July 20th, 2011, 05:44 AM
I searched some motivation to not to cut my BSL hair and I was amazed how nice and kind all the people are here.

Tuna
July 20th, 2011, 06:20 AM
I was searching for pictures and care for very long hair that i always wanted. I lurked for about two years, and now i finnaly joined... so i can share my experiences and track this site better. It's full of useful information :D. i love it!

JuliaDancer
July 20th, 2011, 06:53 AM
As I was growing my hair longer, I was looking for more hairstyles to do, as well as how to properly take care of it, since I noticed I was starting to get split ends at waist length, when I never used to get split ends. I was directed to this site for a few different questions, so I decided to join, since it seemed to be the place where all my questions could be answered!

Dina L.
July 20th, 2011, 07:06 AM
I googled crea clip and I ended joining LHC and making those first 25 posts in less then 48 hours just to be able to see the pictures of the beautiful long hairs you all have here, ladies! :)

Jing
July 20th, 2011, 07:20 AM
I actually came here entirely by chance. I read a post on a bellydance forum about ACV for skin care, which via google led me to ACV rinses, which via Youtube led me to tea rinses, then I think I went back to said forum and followed a link to a blog called 1000 Days of Hair. I think there may have been something after that as well, but eventually I ended up here, anyway. Lurked for a week or two and ended up joining after I saw a thread about bread (I'm a newly converted sour dough fanatic) which I just had to post in.

Stub
July 20th, 2011, 07:31 AM
I was looking for info on naturally moisturizing hair since I had gone no 'poo last fall and the BS dried my hair out in winter. So I found this place and only lurked for about a week before joining because I wanted to see pictures.

EdG
July 20th, 2011, 07:33 AM
I came to LHC from another long hair board. At the time that I joined, I already knew about ten LHC members from the other board.

It's a small long-haired world. :D
Ed

tolly
July 20th, 2011, 07:44 AM
i joined shortly after getting a buzz cut following over a decade of chemically treated hair. I was lost and had no idea what to do with my hair. I didn't really browse when I found out there are few type4, spent a year on other sites geared towards my hair type, only came back here a month ago, now I know that regardless of hair type, there is a lot of useful stuff here.
I am learning so much now, I have such slow growth only 4inches in a year [but that was my first year being natural so I might have had more breakage than I realised, topical growth aids irritate my scalp, and vitamins make me gain weight] all I am doing know is just learning to retain my growth and excited to see how far I get in next few years.

rags
July 20th, 2011, 08:04 AM
I had been forced to cut my TB hair to shoulder after losing half of it due to medications (desparetly needed, but killed my poor hair!). I wanted tips on how to deal with this new thin, very fragile and turning wavy hair I had after the treatments. So I googled growing long hair and kept ending up here. I didn't lurk for long at all - maybe a few days? I'm horribly shy in RL, but internet talkative (obviously! :D ) so I wanted to join in!

I got my hair to BSL and chopped it to a pixie in a misguided hormonal moment last October, but I'm back at shoulder again now and WILL have my TB hair back again!

lingxi
July 20th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I wanted to comment and ask questions.
And of course, PHOTOS!!!!

Henrietta
July 20th, 2011, 08:31 AM
I don't know where does the assumption that we all lurked for some time come from. I lurked for about 15 minutes and joined. I know there are people who lurked for a few months, I DON'T say it's bad! ;) But a few more statements like that and I'll start to think there's sth wrong with me.
And I joined to be able to see all the beautiful pics and to have something concrete, like a motivation to grow. Albums, blog, the fact that I belong to a commnity... You know ;)

Spacescape
July 20th, 2011, 08:43 AM
I lurked for quite a while before joining... I would Google for hairstyles, and this site kept coming up, and I would root around in the Articles looking for new stuff I could do with my hair. I joined because I wanted to see pictures, and because I was very impressed that people here can talk about braiding your own hair in complex styles without going like this :agape: like most of my real-life friends (even those with beautiful long hair) do.

C.H.
July 20th, 2011, 11:22 AM
I think I lurked for an evening, maybe a day or two before I joined. I remember having a strong impression of vain snobs. But I stuck around long enough to realize that's not true! :)

Hah. It never occurred to me to think that, but I can see how someone might get that impression.

delsh
July 20th, 2011, 12:01 PM
I stumbled across LHC when I was growing out a pixie, oh, maybe a year and a half ago? I was searching for timelines of people who had also grown out a pixie to get an idea of what I was in for, the styles I could try at different lengths. I didn't join then because I knew if I spent so much time worrying about my hair when it was that short I would drive myself crazy :laugh: Now, my hair is at APL and I've grown enough on my own that I'm happy to chat about it!

faithsdaisy421
July 20th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I did not lurk for long. I actually found LHC when I was interested in head coverings (for religious reasons). Google led me strait to you! I love it here, and everyone is so nice!

mellie
July 20th, 2011, 12:18 PM
I think I lurked for about a month. I was primarily interested in styles for my hair to keep it up in the heat. I ended up being sucked in by the friendship and good conversation! :D Wow, is it almost 4 years later? :thud:

Rustella
July 20th, 2011, 01:08 PM
I joined LHC after a hairdresser took my hair from BSL to shoulder length, without permission. Then the cut was so bad I had to have a new (and thankfully wonderfull) hairdresser cut the rest off. I had to start all over, and I was heartbroken. I was so embarrased that when people would ask me why I cut my hair off I would lie and say I needed a change, as though it was on purpose. It ended up being a good thing, though. I found henna because of it and better ways to care for my hair.

I don't think I lurked for long, if at all. I mostly lurk now that I have my routine down, but I have many members to thank for my now almost-waist length, healthy, auburn-again hair! For the first time I am going for Tailbone, or maybe longer, and I know that I will reach it.

:happydance:

eternalknot
July 21st, 2011, 02:40 AM
I think it's safe to assume that each of us lurked for some period of time before becoming a member of LHC.

I'd like to know, how long did you lurk? And what finally motivated you to actually join up?

I personally only lurked for maybe a week or two before joining. I just had to see pictures of ya'lls hair.

I didn't lurk long, just a few minutes :D I was motivated to join because I wanted full access to all the forum offered, including photos and tutorials.

SpinDance
July 21st, 2011, 09:50 AM
I was searching online for instructions on buns, and using hair sticks and forks and kept finding myself here. After a few times I found myself browsing the threads and articles so just joined up.

Mingle
July 21st, 2011, 10:01 AM
I lurked for about three weeks. I had so many questions, I finally decided to join so I can ask.

patienceneeded
July 21st, 2011, 11:35 AM
I joined because I wanted to finally have my dream-hair. I always wanted to have hair I could sit-on but always got bored or unmotivated and chopped it off. I didn't even lurk here, I joined the moment I found the site. I had borrowed some books from the library on long-hair-care and then went online to find more information and found, THIS! My hair is the nicest it has ever been and I am looking forward to it getting longer than it has ever been too.

Also...my crafty and artistic husband has started making me hairtoys. And feather-earrings. It's a win-win for me!

elbow chic
July 21st, 2011, 11:39 AM
to kill time while my hair grows. I have to say, it is working.

archel
July 21st, 2011, 05:49 PM
Boomtownrat! Hey look, it's someone I know in real life :-D

Vlientje
July 21st, 2011, 05:54 PM
To learn! :D

summerjade
July 21st, 2011, 05:59 PM
I was wanting to find some information on how to get my hair to grow faster and found this site and loved it right away!! i joined a couple of days later and have learned so much!!!I was so facinated by all the extremely long hair that I knew these people knew what they were doing and I wanted to know what they all knew!

julliams
July 21st, 2011, 06:07 PM
I'm pretty sure I arrived here after googling an issue I was having with my hair. Found a related post, read the thread and immediately signed up. I knew it was the place for me. I'm amazed that I still find things to be interested in after all this time. There is so much to ponder isn't there...

Arianoor
July 21st, 2011, 06:54 PM
Found with a Google search and lurked for all of ten minutes, I knew I was in love!

Toiréasa
July 21st, 2011, 07:03 PM
I did a google search on growing long hair and found a thread that linked me here I was hooked immediately ,it did take me a couple days of lurking to join. I love this place there is sooo much great info here and it's nice to be in a community is full such friendly people willing to help each other for one common goal beautiful healthy hair.

Toiréasa
July 21st, 2011, 07:21 PM
oops sorry double post.

Astroflammante
July 22nd, 2011, 01:16 PM
Another one who joined for the pictures... And then I got sidetracked by Real Life, and I'm still not up to the comment limit. So I still can't see the pics...

O well, some day I'll manage. Maybe by then I'll actually own a digicam so I can share my pics with you all. :-) Like todays hairdo, which looked like a failure until I stuck a hairtoy in it to conceal the gap... Instant success! Thank to LHC, where I learned about the joys of hairtoys. :D

constantki
July 22nd, 2011, 03:13 PM
I found this website by chance, and at the time I had pretty long hair (maybe waist length) but I didn't think about it much. This website made me treasure my hair a lot more and improved my self confidence since I started to appreciate it.

C.H.
July 22nd, 2011, 06:01 PM
I found this website by chance, and at the time I had pretty long hair (maybe waist length) but I didn't think about it much. This website made me treasure my hair a lot more and improved my self confidence since I started to appreciate it.

My hair was already hip length when I joined and this has been my experience exactly. For me LHC has not been about a journey of growing but of treasuring what I have. Learning to care for it and fully enjoy it. As I've grown to love my hair more I think I am loving myself more.

citadel
July 22nd, 2011, 06:10 PM
I have split personalities when it comes to hair--one day I want it curly and red, the next day I want it long, straight, and black, the next I want it golden and bobbed. I've done a lot of damage to my hair in ten years and I finally feel like I'm starting to get tired of all the maintenance of dying. I recently just dyed it back to black and am planning on growing it out to my waist. Since most of my girlfriends are the type that absolutely must go to the salon for trims every month, none of them can relate. They think it's cool I'm trying to grow it out but can offer no advice or support.

But yeah, I definitely am trying to get involved here so it will make me think twice about cutting my hair. Every time it gets longish (below my chest is pretty long on me since I have a long torso), I end up going in the bathroom and chopping it all off. :(

Jezerellica
July 22nd, 2011, 07:48 PM
I followed Lady Long Locks. My original hair inspiration. Then joined right away to learn as much as I could about taking care of long hair. I remember one of the first things I learned, "Treat your ends like antique lace". Since I have lots of lace that is over 100 years old, it was eye opening!!

Amraann
July 22nd, 2011, 09:42 PM
I grew my hair long and then looked for long hair tips and found LHC.

About 5 or 6 years ago.

Bohemian Haze
July 23rd, 2011, 03:37 AM
I've probably been lurking around here since last July when I had horrible highlights freshly done and wanted to try to take better care of my hair! I joined coz I felt guilty about lurking and not contributing anything!

Alias
July 23rd, 2011, 06:40 AM
The main reason I joined LHC is probably inspiration people here give me for growing my hair long.

pkd
July 23rd, 2011, 07:12 AM
I found the site by googling as well. I lurked for a couple of months. I've never really done message boards. I finally joined because I liked the idea of having a place to track my progress and to go for support not to cut my hair on a whim.

goldenmoments
July 23rd, 2011, 07:19 AM
I kept googling and getting links to LHC....after six months I decided this would be a good place to keep myself accountable for my hair, now that I'm.....educated haha

Cainwen
July 23rd, 2011, 10:02 AM
I was googling what to do with long hair during interviews, then realized there was tons of advice on what to do with hair problems (which I was also looking for answers to). I lurked a couple days, then realized I should probably join to be able to ask questions. I've been making myself a nuisance ever since. :cheese:

Pirate Cat
July 23rd, 2011, 02:07 PM
I spent a lot of time googling the no-poo movement, and LHC kept popping up and I realized I was getting most of my useful information about natural haircare from you guys.

DarkBeauty
July 23rd, 2011, 03:26 PM
Lurked for about 2 days, and i've decided to grow my hair out long, so i need tips on how to keep good care of it, and if i have any problems in my routine i can always come here and ask :) I still haven't found my -best- routine yet, but i have seen an improvement in my hair since joining on what oils to use, how, and why. Also i like looking at long nicely conditioned hair that i aspire to have :D

ellette
July 23rd, 2011, 07:47 PM
I have always wanted really long hair and struggled with not knowing how to care for it properly. I'd get to waist at most and end up chopping because I couldn't manage it or do anything with it.
Then 2 years ago I was brushing my freshly blowdried and flat ironed BSL hair and watching in horror as little broken bits flew all over the place.
I said "That's it, it shouldn't be this hard" stomped off to the computer and found the LHC, where I have proceed to lurk about ever since.

squiggyflop
July 23rd, 2011, 08:39 PM
i lurked for maybe 15 minutes.. i didnt post on the new people introduction boards because i didnt lurk long enough to know it existed.. i just jumped right in and started posting.. back then people used to have different titles under their name for how many posts they had.. the highest honor was guru.. i am nearly 5 times a guru now as guru status is achieved with 1000 posts and im nearly at 5000.. so anyway i was motivated to post a lot so that i could be a guru.. not only that but i took really disgusting vitamins that made my hair grow 2-3 inches a month so that when i was finally a guru i would have long hair..

i cant remember exactly how i found LHC.. i think i found another LHC before that, but that LHC was very different.. i left that one in search of a less scary forum (there was a story that was supposed to be true of a man giving himself a hairj*b with a poor unsuspecting and unaware womans braid tassel and then there were posts CONGRATULATING the guy for s3xually assaulting the poor womans hair),, anyway.. so i went to search for fast ways to grow hair out and came upon JJJ and cinnamonhair and somehow finding them led to TLHC so upon finding no scary hair molestation stories i immediately joined..

this was the first internet forum that i actually posted on

SarahKayfa
July 23rd, 2011, 10:34 PM
I started reading this forum because I was linked here in about a dozen ways and once I started reading it I was hooked- while reading OCM info, natural hair care, natural black hair blogs, religious bloggers, no-poo articles, natural baby care sites, cloth diapering sites,you tube hair styling videos, henna info sites, etc. But in particular I found this forum while researching how to style and care for my hair now that it's getting longer. I lurked for a few weeks, and at first I didn't think I'd fit in, because my hair isn't long right now(apl) and I'm not planning on growing to super-long lengths. But I found such good advice, and saw how diverse and interesting all the members are, that I finally felt comfortable joining.

SeaWench
July 23rd, 2011, 11:00 PM
I found this site by way of a google search and kept coming back to read the posts and great haircare advice.

crysz
July 24th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I lurked for awhile a couple of years ago but only recently rediscovered this site and all the goodies it holds :)

winona
July 25th, 2011, 07:33 AM
I found this site last year and lurked for about 3 months before joining in Jan. I really like that the ladies here are not very catty. Everyone is supportive of each other:) I know every family has its disfunction but I love it here:) You ladies are so knowledgeable and I plan soaking everything up like a sponge:)

Alaia
July 25th, 2011, 07:41 AM
I joined LHC because my DH showed me a picture (on the main forum) that he found of an amazing hair toy and I liked the look of it.

I also had a bird's nest instead of hair :p

It was long, but I wanted to take care of it better and grow it longer. Funnily enough, 5 years later I'm at about the same length I was then, having grown to TB twice and cut twice.

Dr. Girlfriend
July 25th, 2011, 08:01 AM
I joined last year while I was in the awkward stages of growing out a short haircut. My hair was a mess and I was ready to chop it off again, but thanks to what I learned here I didn't have to. :)
I basically was washing it too often, and using too many products to compensate so it was a poofy gross mess and I was fed up.

I'd be lying too if I didn't mention that LHC member's hair was and is a huge inspiration and has stopped me from reaching for the shears more than once. Any time I felt like chopping I'd hang around here for a while, and by gum it worked. Thank you LHC!

Gwaihiril
July 25th, 2011, 08:07 AM
I had long hair and was looking for new hairstyles - when I reached 7th grade, my mom declared school started too early, and she was no longer going to help me braid my hair in the mornings. I had started braiding it on and off in 5th grade, but that was when I became actually good at regular braids and learned to French and Dutch braid my own hair. And then I wanted to learn more - my hair was already waist-length, though I was a few inches shorter than I am now. I think I might have stumbled across the Long Hair Loom first, then found the LHC and was interested in talking to people with long hair, because I knew maybe 2 people with long hair and they usually wore their hair in a single braid and were adults, so as middle school/high schooler, I didn't really talk to them much. So I think I poked around very briefly before joining - this was 7th or 8th grade, I think. And I haven't been the most faithful member, but I come back every so often when I'm sitting in front of my computer and think, "I wonder if there are new styles or interesting discussions going on?" And invariably there are!

Busybee
July 25th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I Googled for some answers to questions I had about my hair issues and remedies. LHC seems to be the reliable website - with thousands of women who give answers, and post about results. This is HARD to come by when seeking advice and product names!

Hoping to get more help on my specific hair issues, once I can post some photos!

dragonmyst
July 25th, 2011, 09:08 AM
I found it from researching citric acid looking for bath bomb recipes (gotta love google) I lurked for about 5 hours before joining.

Glad I did, my hair is much softer and manageable (and growing!) since joining.

Apple_Betty
July 25th, 2011, 09:49 AM
I was looking for ways to make my hair healthier, and kept getting this forum in my searches. I lurked for a bit, then signed up. I'm a little overwhelmed with all the information right now, but I think that with some time, I'll figure it all out! :)

paintedhorse
August 21st, 2011, 04:40 AM
i think for oh about 2 sec lol it was just so refreshing to find something that didnt want to destroy my hair! i knew i wasn’t treating my hair right i just didnt know how or what to do, i am now addicted to this site!!!

kanaka
August 21st, 2011, 05:19 AM
Because i want to see all the beautiful hairs here.they are sooo gorgeous and want to get some inspiration as well :D
Before joining LHC, i used to google about hair and found wonderful threads. got impressed and joined in about a week :)

bluequeequeg
August 21st, 2011, 09:00 AM
Came in search of new styles to put my hair up into... found some good ones, too!

kylarosee
August 21st, 2011, 09:02 AM
I've lurked here on and off for about a year now.. But I finally decided to join since I'm newly committed to growing my hair out to about waist length and I figured I'd need some advice from the experts!

Eternal.Fiend
August 21st, 2011, 03:44 PM
I haven't really lurked at all to be honest, I only found this site yesterday, and have already become addicted to reading the forums. But I am still a total newbie... :)

I was probably searching hair care tips or something when I stumbled on this site, for the last month or so, I've been trying to take good care of my hair, and have already seen an improvement, but LHC has already shown me that treating my hai even better isn't actually as hard, or as expensive, as I thought it was going to be. So I'm already pretty happy :D

Growing my hair out has been something I've been debating for a while (after some bad experiences, I don't want to hVe to go to the hairdressers to maintain a shorter style) and I was hearing alot of things about donating hair as well to cancer foundations, so that's probably the main reason I'm growing out my hair. But that means that I can start again from shorter hair that is going to be treated really well :)

irishlady
August 21st, 2011, 03:47 PM
I wasn't happy with my hair, and wanted to learn to take proper care of it, so that I could have long and healthy hair :)

renarok
August 21st, 2011, 04:00 PM
I think I joined the first day I found this site. So no lurking here.

SusanSt
August 21st, 2011, 04:01 PM
I lurked for a few days, but was so glad to have found all the helpful tips and encouragement. I still am new enough that I can't see all your pictures, but I'm eager for that day! What I've seen so far has been inspiring.

Avital88
August 21st, 2011, 04:05 PM
i lurked 2 years:) i came here due to hairloss, i joined because i wanted to grow a long mane.

angelfell
August 21st, 2011, 04:13 PM
I joined LHC after I realized I was killing my hair. I wanted long, HEALTHY hair.. yet obviously didn't know how to take care of it. And alas, I googled some 'support' communities, and googled hair tips/tricks.. and found LHC. I was amazed and attracted by the wise knowledge of the users here on achieving and maintaining long, healthy hair! I decided I could learn a lot and would enjoy being here :). And I do, despite my long absenses.. life will be life.

Alias
August 21st, 2011, 04:17 PM
I've been lurking here for a few months before I became a member and to be honest, not being able to see pictures of your hair was what made me join. Today I find inspiration for growing my hair right here, on TLHC.

rbecks
August 21st, 2011, 05:47 PM
I'm a lurker, I think it was for about a year before I joined.

Now I still mostly lurk, but I need to get some more posts to see all your beautiful hair pics.

Kindredraeven
August 21st, 2011, 06:03 PM
I was watching a hair tutorial on youtube with Torrin Paige, heard her mention it. I googled Long hair clubs , this one popped up. I lurked for about 2 days tops, and signed up. Love this place :)

spidermom
August 21st, 2011, 06:10 PM
I was looking for pictures of long hair, found LHC, lurked for about 1 minute (o.k., maybe closer to 5), then joined. That was more than 6 years ago.

Quetiepi
August 21st, 2011, 06:22 PM
I lurked for well over a year before joining. I came here originally via a google search after being talked into cutting my hair to donate to Locks for Love. I got the worst haircut of my life that day, and it has taken almost three years to grow back what I lost that day, plus a couple of trims to even out the hemline.
I signed up for the support. There is a lot of pressure to keep your hair short, permed and colored after you reach a certain age, but that's way too much manitenance for an old hippie like me. I'm looking forward to the day when I have enough posts to view the photo albums.
Thanks for reading my post!

neko_kawaii
August 21st, 2011, 06:28 PM
I had an odd head ache for a couple days and wondered if it was from constantly wearing my hair in the same way (one braid) and le google brought me here. Poked around for a few hours and got frustrated I couldn't see the pictures of the different updos and applied then spent THREE agonizing days waiting for my application to be accepted! Waaaaaaah! ^.^

NightOwl26
August 21st, 2011, 06:44 PM
I was on the lookout for ways to grow long healthy hair and for sls free shampoos. That led me to LHC and then lurked for a week until I joined.

Selkietea
August 21st, 2011, 06:48 PM
For someone who has an obsession with her hair, I'm surprised I didn't find LHC years ago. Once I started lurking and reading all the awesome information on better hair care I figured I should join and try to actively participate in the forum

Growin' It
August 21st, 2011, 07:05 PM
I didn't lurk. I wanted instant access to some long hairstyles. :)

archel
August 21st, 2011, 07:12 PM
Holy **** boomtownrat, your profile photo is awesome. Your hair color is so cool!

Audhumla
August 21st, 2011, 07:14 PM
I joined after about a day here. I was really keen to post and add some pictures as a record of my hair growth but than I chickened out cause I'm too camera shy :p Maybe when I'm having a good hair day I'll make myself do it.

Freitzeit
August 21st, 2011, 08:51 PM
I was linked to this through a long hair livejournal community. I spent about 5 minutes looking at threads and then joined. I'm still anxiously waiting for the day I can see album photos. I am a sucker for pretty updos, and someday I'd like to be able to do them on myself.

Copasetic
August 21st, 2011, 09:19 PM
I lurked for a couple hours, and promptly got nailed on one of my earliest posts. Umm.

Ha! Me too! I had decided I wanted to try to grow my hair since I had never had long hair before. Google linked me to the LHC, started reading and joined the same day. Joining a new forum where it seems like everyone knows each other and they all use words I have never heard of is SO intimidating.

30isthenewblack
August 27th, 2011, 07:25 AM
I wanted to grow my hair and when I was googling, I found another forum. At the time, the LHC was in the period was down. When I was posting on that forum, I found out about this one and joined it as well. I wanted to grow my hair and even though I'm not aiming for hair longer than hip curly, I wanted to learn from the experts and who better than people who had knee-length hair!

chou
August 27th, 2011, 07:40 AM
I've been lurking for a few months, mostly due to many of my google searches on natural hair care leading me here. I banished sls and cones from my shower and started using oils and aloe and acv to care for my hair a while ago but only recently decided to start growing it out from a super short cut. That's when I joined. Because what was the point of taking such good care of my hair is I was just constantly trimming back to above my ears before I could see how nice and healthy it was?

julierockhead
August 27th, 2011, 07:48 AM
I think I was here about 45 minutes! I had seen a Wen commercial...became fascinated with the concept, promptly went to the internet to read reviews, found the Sally Beauty Supply Wen knockoff called Hair One, and somehow read something about CO washing, which led me here. Why oh Why didn't I find you guys six months ago, when I gave up on my damaged colored small-of-back length hair and cut it off to above shoulder length????? Now I know it could have been saved, probably with a clarifying and a chelating shampoo. *Sigh* Live and learn. Just love it here! Learning every day and hoping to make new friends. Perhaps I can contribute someday too.:cheese:

embee
August 27th, 2011, 08:06 AM
My hair was long already through Benign Neglect (couldn't afford a trip to the salon) and I had one rather unattractive/uncomfortable updo I could make. Lurked at Frank P's site and at Stressless Tresses. In despair chopped 8 inches off my ponytail, thinking somehow (???) it would be easier to manage at a shorter length. Wrong again. :(

I followed a link to here in hopes of learning a new updo or two. Joined quickly... don't recall lurking at all. It's been all I hoped. :)

tigereye
August 27th, 2011, 08:29 AM
I lurked for about a week or so. I was looking for info about hennaing hair (or rather less damaging ways to colour hair permanently), which is how I got here. I was amazed about all the different hair care methods and I decided I had to join up, especially as I really wanted to take care of my hair. I was always scared to chemically dye my hair because I had seen the damage it could do to other peoples hair of a similar length.

racrane
August 27th, 2011, 01:55 PM
It's funny, I found LHC several times googling various hair things - products, styles, celebrities, etc. I would always lurk and then forget about it. But when my hair started to get really dull fast from my Pantene products, in desperation I found this place again and joined. Within a couple days, my "normal" hair was back and better than ever. I also wanted to grow my hair to my waist or hip (not sure yet) and this place is awesome really, :)

FireKat
August 27th, 2011, 02:17 PM
I found LHC after googling for homemade moisture treatments for hair. Found SMT, tried it and while it was on my head cooking came back and started lurking. SMT worked so well that I thought I'd lurk for a while and see what I could learn. My hair was so damaged from bleaching it blond and then trying to go back to red that I was ready to cut it back to a micropixie. I lurked for about a month, read up on CWC, CO, AVC, oiling, Henna and then finally took the plunge. Started CO, then Henna and fell in love. Decided to finally commit to growing out my hair, Also, you all just seemed so nice. So supportive and encouraging, willing to try things and share results. Once I joined, I was hooked.

Diesel Tech
August 27th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I lurked off and on for a few months. I came across LHC by doing a google search on castor oil. I decided to join to better learn how to take care of my shoulder length hair, as these are uncharted territories for me. That and I have a shedding issue I need to get under control.

oktobergoud
August 27th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Because I wanted to get healthier hair (but I already knew most of the LHC things) but most of all for growing support! I have had a pixie for many years and have tried to grow it out several times.. but never succeeded. Have to say that the 'Super Shorties Thread' has helped me a lot! I'm more certain than ever to grow my hair out now :D

Oh and also because I just like to talk about hair A LOT and my friends and co-workers get bored of that subject easily ;)

AcornMystic
August 27th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I joined LHC because I'd been looking for tips on how to grow my hair fast and healthy and almost every site/key word brought me back to the LHC website, so I figured this must be the gem of all gems that will help me achieve that. So, after some weeks of lurking, I finally joined so I could be a part of the community and share my experience with everyone and give thanks to those who share theirs, maybe make some hair loving friends along the way.:D

DonyaleM
August 28th, 2011, 10:17 AM
I've been off and on LHC for a while. I like the atmosphere here....for the most part everyone is very helpful and nice. Plus there are some gorgeous ladies in here with gorgeous hair!!!! I've frequented other hair boards in the past and I've been really turned off by the cliquishness of the boards :)

sre
August 28th, 2011, 11:09 AM
I have known about LHC for a while already trough some other hair-related forums, but started "officially" lurking this summer. For a long time I thought that I don't have the right to join because I don't really have that long hair. How silly of me. Eventually I joined because I wanted to talk about hair without others thinking I'm crazy to care so much. :p

RitaPG
August 28th, 2011, 11:14 AM
This. I was looking for hair care tips online and LHC happened :D

WinterButterfly
August 28th, 2011, 12:58 PM
I was reading on all sorts of threads for a couple weeks. Then I decided that I wanted to be able to communicate with the people on the sight. I also want to be able to see the profiles and stuff. But I don't have enough posts yet... sigh...

Dragonsbane
August 28th, 2011, 01:05 PM
I did a Google search a few days back for something unrelated and found this site by accident! Joined immediately, as don't know many people with really long hair! It's really bizarre to see people with hair longer than mine (saw one last night - bass player of the Levellers!) and scares me slightly, but I think it's completely cool at the same time!

But... I did navigate here, close the window, then come back a few mins later to join! :D

Oh, BTW - the masks here need fixing slightly. Anyone can "lurk" and view whilst not logged in, but can't view anything whilst waiting for approval? Was quite frustrating!

hototogisu
August 28th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I've lurked for a while, but now I'm really determined to do something about my hormonal hair thinning. I'm still working on my plan of attack (read: trying to work up the nerve to get my Implanon removed and get an IUD, which really, really freaks me out, actually), but I really want to commit to getting my hair long, thick and in the best condition possible. Everyone here is so knowledgeable and so on the same page, I figure this was the best place to work through my hair issues.

kiwiipop
August 28th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Last year when I was first starting to think about growing my hair out and really wanting to take care of it, every single search I did turned up LHC! I learned pretty quickly what an informed, nice, warm bunch of people were here.