PDA

View Full Version : Do ANY of you have & want to keep layers?

toodramatik
June 25th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Hey all!

I was just wondering, if any of you with waist+ hair have layers, or if everyone's cutting them out. I love layers, and my hair can't handle one-length, and and, I need layered inspiration.

Pleeeeeeeeeease =o

Laululintu
June 25th, 2008, 02:32 AM
I don't have layers at the moment, but that mainly because my old layers have grown out (I'm too chicken to cut them back in myself). As soon as I can justify a visit to the hairdresser, I'm having layers cut back in.

LongForLife
June 25th, 2008, 02:41 AM
My length is a around 3 inches past tailbone and I love my layers. My hair is very heavy, so it takes some weight off. Plus it seems I can have a larger variety of different styles when wearing my hair down. I like the way it looks in the back too. So I will probably be keeping my layers. :)

Riot Crrl
June 25th, 2008, 02:44 AM
I sure do! Without layers ALL the curl falls out.

Niphredil
June 25th, 2008, 02:46 AM
Not yet waist+ again, but I won't go without layers.
I have had heavy layering beyond waist (3rd sig pic from the left), and this time around, I'm aiming for some more subtle layers and a deep U shape once I get past waist again.

Tap Dancer
June 25th, 2008, 03:51 AM
I have them. As my hair grows, I think I might keep some. I like long hair with long layers.

Pegasus Marsters
June 25th, 2008, 04:09 AM
I've always had layers. They make my hair easier to manage.

hairymonster
June 25th, 2008, 04:53 AM
I would like to give layers a try but often hesitate because if I do not like it after cutting, it would take ages to grow back. I'd like to hear what everyone else says about layers too.

There's something I've always wondered: what's the difference between long layers and short layers? Can somebody kind please enlighten me?

missy60
June 25th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Long layers are longer :) short layers can be as short as bangs. You can have layer that are no more then an inch shorter then your longest hair. I was always told this makes your hair lay better...yeah right. You can also have layers that start blending in with your bangs and are layered all through the length.

30isthenewblack
June 25th, 2008, 05:55 AM
I don't have waist length hair. My hair is only bsl when pulled straight but I love my layers. I am definitely not growing them out. It gives my curls volume, life & vitality.

SpiralingWaves
June 25th, 2008, 06:35 AM
I was just wondering, if any of you with waist+ hair have layers, or if everyone's cutting them out. I love layers, and my hair can't handle one-length, and and, I need layered inspiration.

There's something I've always wondered: what's the difference between long layers and short layers? Can somebody kind please enlighten me?

I have waist length and love layers. I had grown them out at one point and enjoyed one length because it was easier to do varying braided updos. But when it was down, it just didn't look right to me. I have wavy hair and one length didn't have any life or movement imho. So I cut in long layers, with the longest layer approximately 3 inches up from my hemline (my sig pic) (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=2983). I could do my braided updos and wear my hair down with a look that appealed to me, the best of both worlds. However, recently I wasn't content with my hair, not sure why really, but I needed a change and I wanted to keep it long (though I contemplated going much shorter, eek!). So I added more dramatic layers, with the shortest layer laying about the base of my neck (pic in my album) (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=792&pictureid=14964). I guess that would be considered short layers. I couldn't be happier with it. Somehow my hair seems more alive and I enjoy wearing it down more often. Another bonus is that it is lighter weight and I have less strain on my neck with updos. And speaking of updos, I am limited because of the shorter layers, but I can play with messy and playful looks, so I am embracing that and having fun with it.

noelgirl
June 25th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Not waist+ yet, but when I get there I probably will still have some layering. I get very triangle-headed otherwise, even at longer lengths.

bex487
June 25th, 2008, 06:47 AM
I don't even have APL hair, but I need my layers! My hair is straight but I have tons and tons of it. When I had APL one-length hair, it overpowered my tiny face and frame. I need layers around my face and in the length to get rid of the bulk. My current goal is BSL, and I will most definitely have lots of layers still. For me, the more the better!

froglet
June 25th, 2008, 07:01 AM
I HAD layers in the ends and a really nice V shape going on and like a bobo I cut back thinking it would look better blunt. Come to find out, on me it doesn't. :(
I was so sorry, and I still really wish I hadn't done that.

Now I'm afraid to cut layers back in, in case it gets screwed up.
However I have over time, reshaped the ends into a U working towards a V. I keep thinking, maybe when it's longer I'll have the gumption to put layers back in.

Madam Librarian
June 25th, 2008, 07:25 AM
I'm not anywhere near waist, but I hope to get there some day, and I will bring my layers along for every bit of the ride.

I've tried blunt hair, and I had super duper tangles at the ends. I need the layers in order to keep that from happening. I also like how they help give my waves more movement and shape.

I will probably change how the layers look as I need to, but I don't plan on being without them again.

whitesnake
June 25th, 2008, 07:51 AM
me too ll keep layers...my waves look so cool with it...

Patrycja
June 25th, 2008, 08:00 AM
I'm not at waist length yet but at BSL I have layers.I've had them for so long,I really can't remember the last time I had blunt cut ends. I curse my layers some days because updos are harder for me,the way my ends like to poke out of everything and braids do not look right.Then,when(very rarely these days)I do have my hair down,it lays wonderfully.If I want to show more of my length,I just clip back my top layers.

I have been messing around with the idea of cutting to one length,but if I do that I'll be at shoulder or APL.I'm not ready to get rid of all the hard work I've done and the more I think about it,the more I know I'm not going to do it.

TwirlyTresses
June 25th, 2008, 08:13 AM
I'm in between BSL and waist, and like layers--they make my curls separate and bounce up. They can make braids messy, though, so I see it as a trade-off.

jojo
June 25th, 2008, 08:25 AM
I like layers in hair which is thick. My hair is thick until it reaches the length it is now and then thins out (must change profile) Layers which i have are in the front and do my hair no favors, they make it look thinner than it is but I do love layers in really thick hair, it gives swing.

starfire
June 25th, 2008, 10:05 AM
I don't like my layers, but only because I cut them myself and they are poorly cut (uneven and all that). But I love having layers. One of these days I'll get them cut by someone who knows what they're doing =)

SpiralingWaves
June 25th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Here's a video showing a quick way to add layers - Create Long Layers in Longer Hair (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNzLZ7H7FfI&feature=related)

In another video she shows you how to cut face framing layers.

ETA: If you decide to do this, cut the hemline you'd like first, then do the layers. Otherwise you will end up with a deep 'V' hemline like mine. :)

ETA 2: I keep forgetting to add things, sorry .... If you'd like very long layers, put the pony lower in the back of your head.

LongForLife
June 25th, 2008, 10:48 AM
I have waist length and love layers. I had grown them out at one point and enjoyed one length because it was easier to do varying braided updos. But when it was down, it just didn't look right to me. I have wavy hair and one length didn't have any life or movement imho. So I cut in long layers, with the longest layer approximately 3 inches up from my hemline (my sig pic) (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=2983). I could do my braided updos and wear my hair down with a look that appealed to me, the best of both worlds. However, recently I wasn't content with my hair, not sure why really, but I needed a change and I wanted to keep it long (though I contemplated going much shorter, eek!). So I added more dramatic layers, with the shortest layer laying about the base of my neck (pic in my album) (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=792&pictureid=14964). I guess that would be considered short layers. I couldn't be happier with it. Somehow my hair seems more alive and I enjoy wearing it down more often. Another bonus is that it is lighter weight and I have less strain on my neck with updos. And speaking of updos, I am limited because of the shorter layers, but I can play with messy and playful looks, so I am embracing that and having fun with it.

Beautiful! Your layers are a lot like mine.

wintersun99
June 25th, 2008, 10:50 AM
yep - I really like face framing layers (on the longer side)

SpiralingWaves
June 25th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Thanks so much LongForLife!! I love your hair and the deep 'V' hemline you have too. I think I finally feel that I can go for tailbone with this cut. :)

LuXious
June 25th, 2008, 11:18 AM
I have layers, only at APL now, but I intend to keep them no matter how long I grow my hair. Layers give it shape and add interest and character, in my opinion. Just a personal preference. The all-one-length look is soooo gorgeous, though.

LongForLife
June 25th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Thanks so much LongForLife!! I love your hair and the deep 'V' hemline you have too. I think I finally feel that I can go for tailbone with this cut. :)

Thank you too! I find my layers much easier, especially the longer it gets. It makes such a difference, and is much lighter when you have thick heavy hair. I had mine blunt cut awhile back, and lost most of my wave/spirals. Now they are more obvious. :)

Stacy_E
June 25th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Thank you, SpiralingWaves, for your contribution to this thread! I've looked at your photos and you have such beautiful hair! I was all set to grow out my layers to one length, but I am having second thoughts after looking at your hair. :) I too want to emphasize what waves I have.

I have a question for you: I suspect you did not exactly follow the video's instructions for cutting your recent (shorter) layers into your hair, because you said your top layers are at the base of your neck, and I don't think you could get that with the ponytail-straight-up method. How did you cut your shorter layers? TIA!

SpiralingWaves
June 25th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Hi Stacy! I feel so honored that my hair cut has inspired you. Thanks so much!! :grin:

As for my newest layers, yes I actually did the ponytail-straight-up method. The higher the ponytail is on the head, the shorter the layers will be. For instance, for my profile pic with the longer layers, I put the ponytail at the middle of the back of my head, and I trimmed only about one or two inches. And, for the shorter layers, I put the ponytail at the very top of my head, then trimmed about 4 to 5 inches off. And to make it easier because of how long my hair is, I used two scrunchies, one to keep the ponytail in place and the other to slide up the pony to where I wanted to trim/cut. I guess that would make a difference in how short the layers may end up, so that is something to take into consideration if you choose to do it that way.

I think the main points you want to keep in mind is that .... when you pull your pony up on your head to cut, the hairs that grow from the top of your head (or your front hairline depending if you have bangs or not) will be the shortest layer. And the hair underneath the canopy, will be the longest layer. So, for the shorter layers method (pony on top of the head), the more you cut, the shorter the layers will be. And the length will not be as affected because the higher you place your ponytail, the less you are cutting from underneath. So, also, when doing the longer layer method, because the pony is lower on the head, cut less if you want to keep your length.

I hope that makes sense and that I didn't confuse you. :)

Morticia
June 25th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I love my layers. I keep getting more cut in as my hair gets longer.

jesamyn
June 25th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I had almost-waist-length hair that was blunt cut, and I hated it for myself. My hair just hung and didn't have any movement or bounce to it. (This is actually why I cut it off.) I'm not back to long yet, but I fully intend to have longer layers this time around!

Celebrian
June 25th, 2008, 05:43 PM
BSL here - and planning on keeping my layers however long I grow my hair.

I look really serious and boring with hair all one length... :(

Stacy_E
June 25th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Thanks, SpiralingWaves, for your great description of cutting short layers. I understand what you are saying, I think. See, my confusion was that I have been doing the ponytail-on-top method for trimming my layers, but I have only been cutting a tiny amount to trim them, and my layers are quite long (layers go from APL to just touching BSL in back). I'm not sure, but I think that what I didn't realize was that I could have cut more off with the top-ponytail method, and still not have cut any off the underneath hair.

Your layers go from base of neck to waist with this method, right?

Tangles
June 25th, 2008, 06:58 PM
I don't like steep, overly perfect looking layers, but I do like romantic, barely there layers as they add width and height (important for thin faced people like me!) I had a really good hairstylist once who cut layers that were so deep you couldn't tell my hair was layered !! Unfortunately, this doesn't work when my hair is short--makes me tooooo curly. I plan on doing slight layering when I reach BSL.

SpiralingWaves
June 25th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Thanks, SpiralingWaves, for your great description of cutting short layers. I understand what you are saying, I think. See, my confusion was that I have been doing the ponytail-on-top method for trimming my layers, but I have only been cutting a tiny amount to trim them, and my layers are quite long (layers go from APL to just touching BSL in back). I'm not sure, but I think that what I didn't realize was that I could have cut more off with the top-ponytail method, and still not have cut any off the underneath hair.

Your layers go from base of neck to waist with this method, right?

Okay, I've been thinking about this some more and I realized that there is something else to consider here when using this method for layering hair. How your layers and length turn out is also determined by what you already have going on with your hair; such as type of cut (is it layered with short or long layers or blunt?) and length. So, for instance, my starting hair was about waist length with long layers and the shortest layer was about 3 inches above my hemline. When I pulled all the hair up into a ponytail on top of my head, the longest hairs sticking out in that pony were the ones on the top of my head, and the shortest ones were the hair from my nape. So, when I cut 4 inches off the top of that pony, I actually only cut maybe about 1 inch off my length and 4 inches off my canopy, thus bringing my shortest layers up to my neck (well, the shortest layers may actually be a bit longer, my waves/curls bring them up a bit), and virtually nothing off the length. For you, lets say if your shortest layer was 2 inches above your hemline, and you pulled it up in a ponytail and cut 2 inches off, you would not cut any off any length at all. But your shortest layer would be two inches shorter. I think that's right ... I am pretty tired right now, lol.

Along the same line, if one's hair already has dramatic, short layers, and they use the pony on the top of the head method, their nape hair and top hair will come to about the same length in that pony when pulled straight up. So when they cut, it will shorten their length as well as their layers. So, if the starting point is one length or almost one length (very long layers), then it is more likely that the length can stay the same or almost the same depending on how much is cut. :)

spidermom
June 25th, 2008, 08:30 PM
I have layers around my face. I will keep them. I like layers in my length, but I was getting pretty thin at my longest layer, and I want more length, so I've been trimming off the layers there. I want to keep the hem as thick as I can. But the layers are really pretty, and if I ever cut back to around BSL or waist, I'll probably have long layers put in as well.

Curlsgirl
June 25th, 2008, 09:45 PM

Spiraling Waves, I just looked at your latest layered cut and WOW, I thought I would never get layers again and you are tempting me! Can I ask how you trim them up when they need it? Also since you have more "ends" throughout the hair does that mean more splits, dryness, frizz?

Oskimosa
June 25th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Layers are funky because they are different for everyone. For some people it adds more fluff, poof and frizz, and for others it adds interest and movement. My hair doesn't seem to care which way I go, layered or not. If it's all one length, then when I pull it back or up, I've got nothing to frame my face and it's just naked and out there. I get shy about my face shape... SO, I appreciate having layers that poke out and camoflage my face with pretty little locks even when my hair is up or back. Gets in my face though and can be detrimental to lipstick. But who says your hair has to be the same all the time? Go for layers, get bored with them, grow them out again. That's me.

crystal_89
June 25th, 2008, 11:53 PM
I have waist length hair and a lot of layers chopped in by a friend with no prior experience. But I like my hairstyle and so do most of my friends so it looks like layers will stay for some time again.

SpiralingWaves
June 26th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Spiraling Waves, I just looked at your latest layered cut and WOW, I thought I would never get layers again and you are tempting me! Can I ask how you trim them up when they need it? Also since you have more "ends" throughout the hair does that mean more splits, dryness, frizz?

Hi Curlsgirll! To trim my layers, I pull my hair into the same ponytail position that I used to originally cut in the layers. And then just take off how ever much I need to. Fortunately, I don't have many issues with splits, but I do have some occasionally. The challenge with those is getting to the ones that are in the shorter layers behind your head. My shortest layers are just long enough for me to see when stretched. Any shorter would make it impossible for me to check for splits. For frizz, it seems to be the same as having one length, or almost one length. I actually think it looks a bit better with frizz, because before with my hair down it looked poofy and triangular. Now it is just poofy and frizzy all over. Hmm, well, not sure if that can be called any kind of improvement, lol. Dryness, especially on the ends is a slight bit more challenging too I'd say ... if say you braid and oil your ends regularly to keep them in check, now you can't braid (too many sticky out pieces), so you'd have to put your hair in a ponytail and oil the whole thing to make sure you catch all the ends. :shrug: It's a trade off really. The differences in care/upkeep depend on one's hair type and condition I suppose. So that would have to be weighed out before taking the plunge to being heavily layered. :)

Dianyla
June 26th, 2008, 04:31 AM
You know, if your hair gets long enough, it becomes naturally layered? My layers start somewhere around waistlength and progress down to calf-length. :)

NorthernDancer
June 26th, 2008, 10:12 AM
I'm at BSL and I love my layers. If I have all one length it looks really full and puffy, but give me layers and I'm sleak and have lots of movment. I plan to keep my layers no matter how long I grow. How much it's layered may change....

I haven't found a hair dresser that cuts layers well, they don't seem to know how to do layers in long hair. So I might give this ponytail thing a try. If I can at least get it up and see what it looks like in that high ponytail then I can see what my layers now look like and go from there.

pepperedmoth
June 27th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I like layers in my hair! I'm not very fond of my current layers; the shortest is just long enough to put in a ponytail, while the longest is just below BSL . . . I wanted a MUCH subtler U-shaped hemline, with my shortest layers at APL. Oh well. But yeah, I love layers because my hair is only curly in the last few inches, and layering gives me that much more curl! It looks SO much better down like that.

rubyredslippers
June 27th, 2008, 08:25 AM
I have just-shy-of-BSL hair, but I have layers in the last four inches of my hair and I intend to keep them. Otherwise I get pyramid-hair. Though I recognise this is not what you were looking for, for inspiration.

hairymonster
June 27th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the clarification on long and short layers, missy60 and spirallingwaves! Now I'm tempted to get myself some long layers. I also noticed a majority of people who posted here are either thick iii's and ii/iii's or wavy/curly 2's and 3s :)

Nightshade
June 27th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I have layers and love them :)

None down the back, but on the sides and around my face. I have one at chin, one at shoulder, one at BSL and then my U hemline starts at hip.

nissamholtz
June 27th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I feel the same. I prefer layers. Just makes my hair feel softer

peachy.pudding
June 27th, 2008, 10:44 AM
I also like some kind of extra movement, but full layers only make my hair look thin so i go for layers only in the front, i am planning to cut all other layers out next year.

NorthernDancer
June 30th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I've been thinking about trying the ponytail cutting method, and thought I would see what my existing layers (cut by a stylest) would look like gathered up into a ponytail. Well most of them are almost the same length (within 1/4 to 1/2 an inch), except for these few weird sections that were about an inch longer. I had to fight the impulse to chop those off to make them the same length. :D

So it seems that I would get almost the same results with this method. Next time I need a trim I'll try it!

SpiralingWaves
June 30th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I was wondering if that would be the case with a salon cut ... so the pony tail on top of the head method is about the same as a layered cut from a hair dresser. Very cool!! :D

paper
June 30th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I live for the day my layers will be gone. But, they are left over from short hair cut.

Alley Cat
June 30th, 2008, 06:58 PM
I have waist length hair and have layers and plan to keep them. :)

bkitty09
July 16th, 2008, 07:21 PM
I love my layers, except the shortest one in the back of my head always flips up unless i blowdry it.

shellblue1
July 16th, 2008, 09:33 PM
I don't have waist length hair yet, not even close, but when I do I'll have layers. :)

goldenwaves
July 17th, 2008, 12:50 AM
I have long layers and I like them, except for when I want to do plaits! They encourage the curl and make it look more interesting for me!!

NorthernDancer
July 21st, 2008, 08:05 AM
I agree, braids are kind of messy with layers, but I never want to be without them. I don't like the look of my hair (especially when long) without layers.

Marianne
July 21st, 2008, 08:56 AM
I have layers, love them and plan on keeping them. They do make braids look messy, but I quite like that and rarely wear braids as it is, except for convenience and not as a 'style'.

LisaJaney
July 21st, 2008, 09:06 AM
My braids are a fuzzy pipecleaner-looking thing no matter if it's "all one length" (which is NEVER all one length on me; I have a lot of hairs that terminal-out at BSL and there-abouts) or if it's layered, so I never wore braids much anyhow. I cut layers last summer and LOVE them and won't ever go back to "all one length" again. I love my layers. LOVE. :inlove:

lora410
July 21st, 2008, 09:12 AM
I have layers and I am not to crazy about them. They make certain styles harder because of all the hairs sticking out, and the make my hemline look thinner then what it is.

NurseMama
July 21st, 2008, 09:16 AM
Here's a video showing a quick way to add layers - Create Long Layers in Longer Hair (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNzLZ7H7FfI&feature=related)

I did this method several months ago (before joining LHC!) and for my hair, it was awful. It created a thinned look at the bottom vs the stairstep layers that I typically like. The layered hair became frizzy and I couldn't get any clumps:mad:. I have found that for curlier hair thinned out layers do not work, the hair needs distince stair steps to be able to clump.

So does anyone have any idea how to do that yourself? Or would that be a visit to the salon?

almudena
July 21st, 2008, 09:20 AM
I have been growing my layers for a year. WHen I was at about two inches of my goal I've realised that I actually loved layers so I had them redone a couple of weeks ago. LOVE them. They are not too deep to make my updos impossible (in any case I'm not an updo person) but enough to give movement and stlye :inlove:

SpiralingWaves
July 21st, 2008, 09:28 AM
This is interesting NurseMama because I have 2c with some 3a, and I have had some success with clumping. Maybe it has to do with how thick your hair is ... I see you are fine to medium and I am a little thicker than you. I'm sorry this didn't work for you. There's nothing worse than trimming your hair to find that you've made it worse.

Not sure if this would matter to you since you had such an awful experience, but I found that if I trimmed my hemline first, then did a low pony I could get a slightly thinned hemline (rather than very thinned) with longer layers. Take a look at my profile pic, that is what I did for that cut.

I'm sure there must be another self layering method/tutorial out there, somewhere. :) I haven't searched since I found this method though. But I thought I came across one that was mentioned here a year or two ago, it would be in the LHC archives. I wasn't interested in layering my hair back then so I didn't really pay much attention to it. :)

Forever_Sophie
July 21st, 2008, 09:51 AM
I love layers! My hair had just reached waist when I cut a few inches, but whatever the length, I'll always keep them. Keeps my hair on the trendier side. I like long layers down the sides (starting around my collar bone or a little lower), and straight across the back (so it doesn't look like a "U"). And then long layers all over the last few inches of my hair...if this makes any sense :p

vindo
July 21st, 2008, 10:04 AM
I do have layers that are very grown out. If my hair was shorter, not longer than Hip I might have kept them but with my natural taper they take off too much of my ends thickness.
I you have thick lengths, not much taper, layers would be perfect for you! I like the look in thick or wavy hair! :)

enitsirk
July 21st, 2008, 09:03 PM
You know, if your hair gets long enough, it becomes naturally layered? My layers start somewhere around waistlength and progress down to calf-length. :)

:liar:

I don't know why I found that so hilarious but I did. LIAR!

:misskim:

Not really, this is SO true. I'm quite enjoying my natural face framing "layers" that hang out of my buns. This isn't quite the same thing because it's a few teeny strangs of baby hairs that I'm talking about, but I definitely have the waist length layers thing going on too.

ladyshannonanne
July 22nd, 2008, 02:40 AM
I love layers! I wouldn't be without them. I think the trick, though, is getting a good haircut. Layering done the wrong way can make hair look thinner or frizzy. Some stylists have even brandished a razor at me, claiming that it would "bring out my natural curl" and "it won't damage your hair because the blade is sharp." Let me tell you: Lies! All that did was make my hair really lank and frizzy. So, yes, layers are great--as long as razors have nothing to do with the process of getting them.

NurseMama
July 22nd, 2008, 08:26 AM
This is interesting NurseMama because I have 2c with some 3a, and I have had some success with clumping. Maybe it has to do with how thick your hair is ... I see you are fine to medium and I am a little thicker than you. I'm sorry this didn't work for you. There's nothing worse than trimming your hair to find that you've made it worse.

Not sure if this would matter to you since you had such an awful experience, but I found that if I trimmed my hemline first, then did a low pony I could get a slightly thinned hemline (rather than very thinned) with longer layers. Take a look at my profile pic, that is what I did for that cut.

I'm sure there must be another self layering method/tutorial out there, somewhere. :) I haven't searched since I found this method though. But I thought I came across one that was mentioned here a year or two ago, it would be in the LHC archives. I wasn't interested in layering my hair back then so I didn't really pay much attention to it. :)

I love your profile picture! I wish that my hair would behave that well with this cut. You have great clumps.

Now that I am thinking about it, I wonder if the frizzy/thin problem could have been compounded because of damaged hair. I had the same reaction to that cut that I have had from the dreaded razor cut in the past.

The favorite layer cut that I have ever had was right after I saw Practical Magic. I went into the stylist and was able to describe exactly what I wanted (a steep stair step layer cut like the Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman had in the movie). Of course, the actresses' layers may have been extensions, but I loved the look of it! She did the cut perfectly and I was so thrilled.

historygen
July 22nd, 2008, 12:45 PM
my hair is only shoulder length right now (and not sure i'd grow it much longer than mid back, anyway), but i do like having layers in it. my hair is very thick and has some wave/curl to it (it got much wavier after i had children) and having some layers helps me to play with the waves and keep them under control. it's nice having the option to let it be curly or let it be straight, and layers give me that option more than just having it all one length (it just gets kind of big at the bottom, too, if it's all one length).

Cinnia
July 22nd, 2008, 12:56 PM
I've got layers in my BSL hair, love them dearly :crush:.
My hair has quite alot of volume (by nordic standards anyway) and a few waves; I've had it cut evenly before but it just looks dull, my face looks fat (it just does, not sure why, I need some faceframing to enhance my looks :D).
It's more manageble with layers, behaves more obedient ;).

SpiralingWaves
July 22nd, 2008, 02:53 PM
I love your profile picture! I wish that my hair would behave that well with this cut. You have great clumps.

Now that I am thinking about it, I wonder if the frizzy/thin problem could have been compounded because of damaged hair. I had the same reaction to that cut that I have had from the dreaded razor cut in the past.

The favorite layer cut that I have ever had was right after I saw Practical Magic. I went into the stylist and was able to describe exactly what I wanted (a steep stair step layer cut like the Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman had in the movie). Of course, the actresses' layers may have been extensions, but I loved the look of it! She did the cut perfectly and I was so thrilled.

Thanks NurseMama! :flowers:

I never saw that movie and meant to ... now I need to, so thanks for unintentionally reminding me. :) I googled the movie and found some images .... I love the cut. I can see why you fell in love with it. I love Nicole's color and bangs.

WritingPrincess
July 23rd, 2008, 02:26 PM
Do bangs count? I just got bangs, and I think I'll be keeping them for awhile at least. Since these bangs are thinner than the ones I had when I was younger and grew out, I currently have two layers. The ex-bangs I'm planning on cutting out, though.

tigerlily83
July 23rd, 2008, 02:53 PM
I don't have anything close to waist+ long hair yet, but I do have layers in my hair right now. I can't remember a time when I didn't have them. I feel like I need them so my hair doesn't feel so bulky. When my hair grows past BSL I will probably have only long layers.

BeatlesFanGirl
July 24th, 2008, 06:20 AM
My hair was straight shape before, then U-shape, it's layered now. I liked all shapes, I like this layered too, although it's harder to style.

Cassiopeia
July 24th, 2008, 07:13 AM
My hair is layered and I think I will keep them. My hemline is too "bushy" without layers, it doesn't look good.

helpmegro
July 24th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I asked this question on another thread, but it got so little interest it got buried and I can't find it. My question is: those of you who go to a longhair salon to get your hair trimmed, how do they deal with layers? My hair is layered and only shoulder length at it's longest, but I'd love to go back to a longhair salon and get a trim in the coming months (when I've saved up enough $$ to afford it) because I know they'll trim it right. Do you know if such places deal with already layered hair? I'm definitely not confident enough to try it myself.

Hurray4Henna
July 24th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I am not near waist but I do have layers--quite drastic ones IMO. I don't think I would want them gone because I have curly hair, but definitely not as extreme. I find the layers to be annoying for me when I attempt a braid.

helpmegro
July 25th, 2008, 07:44 AM
I guess no one knew the answer to that question about the long hair salon so I'll ask another one... how do those of you with layers and who are growing out your hair cope with trimming? Or do you not trim at all? I assume you maintain your layers... do you trim it yourself? Go to a salon for a trim and stare menacingly at the stylist?

See, I don't go to stylists very much at all. I found a place I liked but can't go back right now because it's way too expensive. I went to a local stylist and she lopped off maybe 6 or 7 inches of hair! :mad: LOL I don't want that mess to happen again, now that I'm trying to grow it out again. And it's growing SLOWLY. :D

starfire
July 28th, 2008, 11:11 AM
I guess no one knew the answer to that question about the long hair salon so I'll ask another one... how do those of you with layers and who are growing out your hair cope with trimming? Or do you not trim at all? I assume you maintain your layers... do you trim it yourself? Go to a salon for a trim and stare menacingly at the stylist?

See, I don't go to stylists very much at all. I found a place I liked but can't go back right now because it's way too expensive. I went to a local stylist and she lopped off maybe 6 or 7 inches of hair! :mad: LOL I don't want that mess to happen again, now that I'm trying to grow it out again. And it's growing SLOWLY. :D

I am trimming my own hair for now (unevenly but I don't care). I might get it done professionally every few years just to clean things up, but who knows.

Ranee
July 28th, 2008, 01:01 PM
@ helpmegro

I deal with my layers by not trimming at all. Just waiting patiently for them to grow out. Which might take a while considering the shortest layer is at my shoulders and the longest is about hip. I put it up and try to forget about it. Just maintaining your current lenght by trimming til the layers catch up with the rest is an option of course.

@ starfire

Your hair is gorgeous! *feels inspired*
Is that your natural colour?

starfire
July 28th, 2008, 01:42 PM
@ helpmegro

I deal with my layers by not trimming at all. Just waiting patiently for them to grow out. Which might take a while considering the shortest layer is at my shoulders and the longest is about hip. I put it up and try to forget about it. Just maintaining your current lenght by trimming til the layers catch up with the rest is an option of course.

@ starfire

Your hair is gorgeous! *feels inspired*
Is that your natural colour?

Thanks! That is my hair dyed to my natural color more or less :P

Eireann
July 28th, 2008, 01:53 PM
I'm only at BSL, but I plan to keep my layers forever. I have fine wavy hair, and layers bring out the best in it.

EbonyCurls
August 4th, 2008, 08:15 AM
ooh I love my layers and I can't wait for my hair to grow longer so that I can cut more in (w/out it looking like a shag like shorter hair w/tons of layers tend to resemble).

I think it gives such shape to my hair and I feel very sexy (when I want to lol) when I have layers wild everywhere.
All of my power are in my layers. I feel glamorous and larger than life with them even though I don't consider myself a glamorous person.

Cinnia
August 4th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Love my layers, would not survive without them!
Well yeah I would but my hair would be like, you know...:silly:

NurseMama
August 4th, 2008, 01:13 PM
All of my power are in my layers. I feel glamorous and larger than life with them even though I don't consider myself a glamorous person.

That is a really cool statement. I have felt like that before with layers, but my current ones make me feel like a triagle (if that makes any sense at all).

JuneBride
October 1st, 2010, 10:05 PM
I have and like layers. I like a few blended layers. I don't like the many layers I had to get to get ride of damage...but that's another story!

supermanok03
October 2nd, 2010, 08:40 AM
i have waist length hair and i LOVE my layers. the problem is though i don't have very thick hair. i mean my single braid is like one of my friends' pigtails braid. so as my hair gets longer, i feel like i need to let go of some of the layers, to keep some thickness in the length.

but i LOVE layers on long hair! something to frame the face but still have length in the back is great. :)

Capybara
October 2nd, 2010, 10:35 AM
I've had layers in the past, with waist length hair, and really liked them. Am toying with the idea of getting layers cut in when I reach goal. Still lots of time to decide :) I love how layers look.

Tabitha
October 2nd, 2010, 12:12 PM
Yes thank you - I'm very happy with my layers. They flatter my face and prevent me from having pyramid hair.

akuamoonmaui
October 2nd, 2010, 02:24 PM
Layers are not evil.

Tabitha, your hair is gorgeous!

MissManda
October 2nd, 2010, 02:28 PM
As of right now, I am yet to decide if I'm going to have layers when I reach classic if I decide to stop growing there. I am currently growing out layers and bangs and gradually trimming them off as my hair grows. I think once I get rid of them, I'll be able to decide if I want to put the layers back in or not.

Dolly
October 2nd, 2010, 02:30 PM
I have layers and definitely plan to keep them! I have had my hair all one length, and with no bangs, and kept it that way for a couple of years. I just didn't like it though....so I cut my own bangs and let my hairdresser do my layers for me....

ullalein
October 2nd, 2010, 02:35 PM
I have layers, an like them ;)
To maintain them, I simply hang my head upside down an trim random locks.