PDA

View Full Version : How much oil should i use?

DarkBeauty
July 19th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Ok, i tried deep conditioning my hair with coconut oil (warmed), i think i over oiled, i applied it to my hair when it was damp after my shower and only applied it to my scalp and massaged it in, then used a brush so it would go to my ends. Left it for 30mins.

I then went back in the shower and used an organic shampoo, when it was dry it left my hair so flat and slightly stringy, as opposed to my naturally thick and wavy hair.

However, i absoloutly hated the thin hair i just HAD to get the oil out. So the day after i used a commercial shampoo (pantene) mixed with my organic shampoo, i shampoo'd it twice to make sure the oil came out, then did an ACV rinse to make sure it had all gone and to take the dryness away from the shampoo. When it was dry it left my hair naturally thick again - and to my surprise shiny and soft!

But i'm soooo confused what to do next -

1. How much oil should i apply next time, and should i apply to wet,damp, dry hair?

2. Where should i most importantly apply it to? Scalp or ends, or all over?

3. Do you think i should reduce the amount of time it sits on my head?

4. Do you think i should apply the same amount as i did last time and then use commercial shampoo mixed with organic, shampoo x2, then ACV rinse? Or is there another routine you can recommend?

Help! I'm so confused since i'm new to oiling :S and i don't want boring flat hair again. But i definately did see good results when i washed properly which i'm happy about :D

faithsdaisy421
July 19th, 2011, 05:21 PM
I oil my hair 3x a week. Twice I use a TINY amount (like how much I can scoop out with my thumbnail), and the 3rd time I do a treatment. For the treatment I use EVOO mixed with mayo egg and a tiny bit of honey. When I rinse that I do an ACV rinse. The treatment is nasty smelling and feeling, but my hair is so soft and amazing after.

kahill
July 19th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Here's how I oil.

The night before I plan to shampoo I part my dry hair down the middle and work one side, then the other. I use coconut oil and I begin at the ends, and work my way up, usually stopping at ear-length, just like I'd apply conditioner. It doesn't take a lot of oil, maybe 2-3 light applications per side. Then I braid my hair (so the oil doesn't get all over my pillowcase and sheets) and go to sleep.

By morning, a good amount of oil has absorbed into my hair. Instead of CWC, I'll wash the roots like normal, and once they're soapy, I'll slide some of the suds down the length of my hair. I rinse really well, then condition with my regular conditioner, clip up my hair, toss on a cheapo shower cap, finish my shower, then I rinse with the warm water, then a rinse of cold.

I'm sure other people do it differently than that, but I hope that helps!

I expect part of your problem was that (1) you might have used too much oil. Really a little goes a long way. (2) it may not have absorbed well because your hair was wet. (3) You applied it to your roots, rather than to the length first.

But I've only been oiling for a month or so. Others may have better suggestions.

ElusiveMuse
July 19th, 2011, 05:25 PM
I oil my hair sometimes twice a day, but rarely my scalp! Mostly I just do my length and ends with maybe a nickel sized dollop of coconut oil. Before I shampoo, I saturate it with a much thicker balm. I find oiling my hair when it's wet doesn't work well.

Copasetic
July 19th, 2011, 05:29 PM
I never apply oil to my roots or scalp, but I use quite a bit. A lot of people only use a finger nail full, but I probably use about 1/2 a teaspoon. You could try scooping out a tiny but of oil, only enough to make your palms shiny when you melt it in your hands, and then smooth your palms over your dry hair. It will look a bit greasy right after you apply, but you can just put it up, or wait a little while and your hair should soak it up.

Kathie
July 19th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I do very heavy oilings the night before a morning wash. I use somewhere between 1-2 teaspoons of coconut oil, apply it to dry hair, and work it though all my hair from roots to tips. I use shampoo bars, 3 lathers and rinses, and the oil comes out easily.
I have in the past not washed the oil out properly. Now I know that when the shampoo bars give a nice rich lather the oil is out.

DarkBeauty
July 19th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I oil my hair 3x a week. Twice I use a TINY amount (like how much I can scoop out with my thumbnail), and the 3rd time I do a treatment. For the treatment I use EVOO mixed with mayo egg and a tiny bit of honey. When I rinse that I do an ACV rinse. The treatment is nasty smelling and feeling, but my hair is so soft and amazing after.

Ok, when you do it the first two times, do you apply this to dry or wet hair, and where do you apply it?

When you do the treatment, do you also shampoo after, also is it organic (sulphate free) or commercial?

McFearless
July 19th, 2011, 05:36 PM
I think the next time you want to do a deep treatment with oil, use conditioner to get it out. Apply the conditioner to your dry hair 30 minutes before you get in the shower. Once you hop in add a little water and massage the conditioner into your scalp and hair. Let it soak in while you soap up and then rinse. All the oil should be removed.

RitaCeleste
July 19th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Well, to get a better idea of how much to use you could start by oiling a few hours before you are going to wash it. That way, if you over do it a little, you can wash it right out. I can't tell how much to put on damp hair but with dry its easy to see when I've gone too far. Now I have a better idea of how much to use. I like to part my hair and pull it over my shoulders and oil the ends from about the neck down and only add a touch (pretty much I just finish up by running my still slightly oily hands over the top) to the rest.

DarkBeauty
July 19th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I do very heavy oilings the night before a morning wash. I use somewhere between 1-2 teaspoons of coconut oil, apply it to dry hair, and work it though all my hair from roots to tips. I use shampoo bars, 3 lathers and rinses, and the oil comes out easily.
I have in the past not washed the oil out properly. Now I know that when the shampoo bars give a nice rich lather the oil is out.

I know what you mean, i'm not so keen on commercial shampoo's, but since the organic one doesn't lather it's not so good at stripping the oils. Pantene lather's so i used it to get rid of the main grease, then did an ACV rinse to remove the shampoo's dryness (commercial shampoo's make my hair like straw)

McFearless
July 19th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I know what you mean, i'm not so keen on commercial shampoo's, but since the organic one doesn't lather it's not so good at stripping the oils. Pantene lather's so i used it to get rid of the main grease, then did an ACV rinse to remove the shampoo's dryness (commercial shampoo's make my hair like straw)

Many people on this forum have reported that they have to build up their oil tolerance, starting with a few drops and adding a tiny bit more every time. Trial and error.

You might want to try using oil as a leave-in to see which your hair prefers. A few drops smoothed onto damp hair works really well for me.

faithsdaisy421
July 19th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Ok, when you do it the first two times, do you apply this to dry or wet hair, and where do you apply it?

When you do the treatment, do you also shampoo after, also is it organic (sulphate free) or commercial?

When I oil the first two times, I apply the oil to dry hair and from the ears down.

As for the treatment, I shampoo the "gunk" out with this shampoo:
http://www.giovannicosmetics.net/item.asp?prodtype=HAIR%20CARE&category=ECO%20CHIC&model=SHAMPOO&item=GWS-8

Then I condition with this conditioner:
http://www.giovannicosmetics.net/item.asp?prodtype=HAIR%20CARE&category=ECO%20CHIC&model=CONDITIONER&item=RT66C-8

They are SLS and cone free.

Then I do the ACV rinse and then I do a quick cold water rinse.

Sorry... I don't explain myself very well :)

DarkBeauty
July 19th, 2011, 05:57 PM
When I oil the first two times, I apply the oil to dry hair and from the ears down.

As for the treatment, I shampoo the "gunk" out with this shampoo:
http://www.giovannicosmetics.net/item.asp?prodtype=HAIR%20CARE&category=ECO%20CHIC&model=SHAMPOO&item=GWS-8

Then I condition with this conditioner:
http://www.giovannicosmetics.net/item.asp?prodtype=HAIR%20CARE&category=ECO%20CHIC&model=CONDITIONER&item=RT66C-8

They are SLS and cone free.

Then I do the ACV rinse and then I do a quick cold water rinse.

Sorry... I don't explain myself very well :)

No problem, i think it's helped :D

GreenEyedKat
July 19th, 2011, 06:08 PM
[QUOTE=DarkBeauty;1697063 then did an ACV rinse to remove the shampoo's dryness (commercial shampoo's make my hair like straw)[/QUOTE]

I tried an ACV rinse once and it made my hair into straw! Did I do it wrong? How do you do yours, if I may ask? Thanks in advance!!!:D

neko_kawaii
July 19th, 2011, 06:21 PM
I am also new to oiling.

I haven't tried coconut oil on my hair yet as what I have in the cupboard was damned expensive, but I have done EVOOs the past two wash days. I'd estimate the amount of oil to be 1/4 to 1/2 tsp, put that on from about the ears down (basically what the sebum hasn't reached) and then brush it to distribute. Braid, and let it sit around until I have a chance to shower later in the morning, an hour or two? I wash with baking soda and vinegar rinses and they seem to get the oil out just fine. It feels so light and soft! I'm liking this so far.

I remember attempting an oiling a few years ago and put in way too much oil and had a hard time washing it out with my regular shampoo. I have seen it said a number of times in these forums that conditioner works better to remove oil than shampoo. Counter intuitive, eh?

Good luck with your experiments! You'll find something that works if you keep trying.

DarkBeauty
July 19th, 2011, 06:32 PM
I tried an ACV rinse once and it made my hair into straw! Did I do it wrong? How do you do yours, if I may ask? Thanks in advance!!!:D

Hey, i'm not too sure why it's gone dry for you, make sure you have diluted the mix. I use 1/2 tablespoon to 1 tablespoon of the vinegar, to 200ml of water, maybe if you used too much it can get sticky xD

Secondly, i apply it to wet/damp hair after i have shampoo'd, usually towel drying it. I then store the ACV rinse in a squeeze bottle (makes it less messy and can control were it is going) then apply it to my scalp (If your hair is thin then you don't have to use it all) I then go back into the bathroom and rinse with warm then cold water.

GreenEyedKat
July 19th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Hey, i'm not too sure why it's gone dry for you, make sure you have diluted the mix. I use 1/2 tablespoon to 1 tablespoon of the vinegar, to 200ml of water, maybe if you used too much it can get sticky xD

Secondly, i apply it to wet/damp hair after i have shampoo'd, usually towel drying it. I then store the ACV rinse in a squeeze bottle (makes it less messy and can control were it is going) then apply it to my scalp (If your hair is thin then you don't have to use it all) I then go back into the bathroom and rinse with warm then cold water.

Yup, too much. Last time I go to an outside source on how to do stuff!! I'm sticking with LHC directions ONLY! :P

Well wish me luck I may have to do one, here's to getting the coconut oil right and if I have to resort to ACV, getting that right too!! LOL

DarkBeauty
July 19th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Yup, too much. Last time I go to an outside source on how to do stuff!! I'm sticking with LHC directions ONLY! :P

Well wish me luck I may have to do one, here's to getting the coconut oil right and if I have to resort to ACV, getting that right too!! LOL

You will get it right in the end :P I remember my first ACV rinse, i didn't dilute it too.

GreenEyedKat
July 19th, 2011, 06:58 PM
You will get it right in the end :P I remember my first ACV rinse, i didn't dilute it too.

Hee hee funny, you totally got that right. I just dumped some ACV on my head let it sit for a bit then rinsed. Ohhhh dear. Everyone's a noob at some point though!! :D

ladylovecraft
July 19th, 2011, 07:12 PM

This is a misconception perpetuated by shampoo commercials. Lather has nothing to do with how clean you get, be it washing your hair or anything else. : )

As for oiling tips, I never oil higher than my ear level, unless my hair really needs it (RARELY). Otherwise I apply as much oil as my hair can handle by applying it first to my hands and then smoothing down my hair (concentrating more towards the ends, and never going above ear level). I let this sit for as long as possible... sometimes overnight while braided, sometimes for a few hours before a wash. I then wash it out with my Aubrey Organics SLS-free shampoo. Sometimes I apply a conditioner, sometimes I don't. My hair doesn't really need it after this.

And if I want a light oil application I apply mostly on the very ends, and just enough to make my hands look slick once.

GreenEyedKat
July 19th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Ok I had put coconut oil in my hair, I did from my roots to tips but mostly my ends. I left it on for 3 hours. Washed with my hydralicious herbal essence poo and condish. My hair has been horribly maltreated and feels crazy dry and brittle already. Well I freaked out once I washed with all that and went ahead and did a light ACV rinse with DILUTED ACV this time! ;)

My ends are still a bit dry feeling, but NO WHERE near what they were!! and my virgin roots feel silken!!!! I think I'm digging this more natural stuff!!! :D

I just had to share, I was soooo excited!! :)

jujube
July 19th, 2011, 08:47 PM
I've found that there's pre-wash oiling and post-wash oiling.

Pre-wash: I usually use a heavier oil such as coconut or olive, and make sure I saturate my hair so it really penetrates.

Post-wash: I tend to like lighter oils because my hair is fine and short, for example grapeseed oil. I use only a dollop on almost-dry hair.

GreenEyedKat
July 19th, 2011, 09:13 PM
I've found that there's pre-wash oiling and post-wash oiling.

Pre-wash: I usually use a heavier oil such as coconut or olive, and make sure I saturate my hair so it really penetrates.

Post-wash: I tend to like lighter oils because my hair is fine and short, for example grapeseed oil. I use only a dollop on almost-dry hair.

Oooo, now where do I get grapeseed oil? Because that sounds great. I tried canola oil just as a regular post-wash and it made my hair a tad more greasy feeling than I'd like. I also didn't use a lot because I am extremely new to putting any oil on my hair!

Kathie
July 19th, 2011, 09:24 PM
This is a misconception perpetuated by shampoo commercials. Lather has nothing to do with how clean you get, be it washing your hair or anything else. : )

That depends- it may be true for detergents, e.g. SLS, and maybe some soaps. But lather aids the movement of soap molecules throughout the hair... without lather I'd simply be dealing with a waxy wet lump of hair when using shampoo-bars. This is completely different from something like CO-washing where the conditioner is easily moved throughout the hair and the surfactants in conditioner don't have to lather to clean.

Vegasrenie
July 19th, 2011, 09:46 PM
I have thick, spirally curly hair that wouldn't look flat even if I drenched it in motor oil, so I'll use a variety of stuff to see if it works. I like to do my own concoctions, and I have a new one that I'll be trying tonight. It's shea butter, castor oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, and a few drops of tea tree. It smells, um, *natural." I like to massage my scalp and I like to really work the oils into the hair. I live in place with very low humidity (Vegas), so keeping my hair conditioned (even though I don't do chemical processing any more) is of utmost importance.

I like WEN and cowashing, and they work well in removing excess oil. I "did" my hair with heat on Sunday (for pics), so will be oiling it to help with damage. I don't generally use heat - especially in the summer! - so I will go overboard in doing repair work when I do.

kahill
July 20th, 2011, 09:01 PM
I have thick, spirally curly hair that wouldn't look flat even if I drenched it in motor oil, so I'll use a variety of stuff to see if it works. I like to do my own concoctions, and I have a new one that I'll be trying tonight. It's shea butter, castor oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, and a few drops of tea tree. It smells, um, *natural." I like to massage my scalp and I like to really work the oils into the hair. I live in place with very low humidity (Vegas), so keeping my hair conditioned (even though I don't do chemical processing any more) is of utmost importance.

I like WEN and cowashing, and they work well in removing excess oil. I "did" my hair with heat on Sunday (for pics), so will be oiling it to help with damage. I don't generally use heat - especially in the summer! - so I will go overboard in doing repair work when I do.

LOL! I'm such a dork - when I read your recipe, I thought, "Oooooohh!!! That sounds like a nice base for homemade soap and/or lotion!" :D You'll want to use the tea tree oil sparingly on your scalp, as it can cause a little extra oiliness. But it is generally pretty fantastic for your skin and can act as a very mild preservative in your other oils. :)

Out of curiosity, what is "WEN?"

Vegasrenie
July 22nd, 2011, 05:18 PM
LOL! I'm such a dork - when I read your recipe, I thought, "Oooooohh!!! That sounds like a nice base for homemade soap and/or lotion!" :D You'll want to use the tea tree oil sparingly on your scalp, as it can cause a little extra oiliness. But it is generally pretty fantastic for your skin and can act as a very mild preservative in your other oils. :)

Out of curiosity, what is "WEN?"

I used about 1/4 cup of everything except Tea Tree which was *about* 1/4 tsp. At 59 years, an oil scalp is not a problem lol.

My concoction is great on the skin too! Melts in surprisingly well, especially on my embarrassing elbows. Heavy on the hair, but with *my* hair, not difficult to clean out.

WEN is a "cleansing conditioner" that doesn't lather or use soap. When it's in my budget, I get the biggest size I can because it cleans my hair better than conditioner. When it's *not* in my budget, I'll use any number of different conditioners as a cleaning agent. It's overpriced, but I really like it. Chazdean.com, but I purchase it at QVC which takes off 1/3 or more of the price. I don't use all of the products (can't afford it), but really like the cleansing conditioner. YMMV ;)

Vegasrenie
July 22nd, 2011, 05:18 PM
*oily* scalp! Sheesh!

Slinks
July 22nd, 2011, 05:31 PM

I did this yesterday too ... NEVER again .. from my understanding it is only really quite useful if you have hard water, excess minerals in the water that cause build up in the hair .. well, I guess I don't have hard water cos the ACV rince did not make my hair soft and shiny, it turned it into barnyard fodder ..

readers feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :-)

Slinks
July 22nd, 2011, 05:34 PM
Hee hee funny, you totally got that right. I just dumped some ACV on my head let it sit for a bit then rinsed. Ohhhh dear. Everyone's a noob at some point though!! :D

lol ... I did dilute it 4 teaspoons to 1 cup of water .. still got straw ..

GreenEyedKat
July 25th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I did this yesterday too ... NEVER again .. from my understanding it is only really quite useful if you have hard water, excess minerals in the water that cause build up in the hair .. well, I guess I don't have hard water cos the ACV rince did not make my hair soft and shiny, it turned it into barnyard fodder ..

readers feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :-)

lol ... I did dilute it 4 teaspoons to 1 cup of water .. still got straw ..

After I was told to dilute it I filled it half way up with water and now it works great! Note: I had a 16fl oz container that I had dumped half of on my head in the previously mentioned straw incident! :P

AnnaJamila
July 25th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I add, literally, three drops of oil when I oil my hair. Lol, some people's hair gulps it, some just want a sip! ;)

GreenEyedKat
July 25th, 2011, 12:32 PM
I add, literally, three drops of oil when I oil my hair. Lol, some people's hair gulps it, some just want a sip! ;)

I know what you mean! My hair is a gulper. Yesterday I had mixed 1/4 cup of EVOO with a tbsp of coconut oil and about 1tsp-1tbsp of tea tree oil treatment (lots of other oils in it) and heated it about 30 seconds then I applied from root to tip and left on a few hours. My hair is soooo soft now, even the ends which felt like hay from being over bleached and dyed!

Doing a dance with the cheese for soft hair!:cheese::D

spidermom
July 25th, 2011, 01:44 PM
This is how I do it (with no problems, only benefits):
Wait until scalp area is oily with sebum.
Give my hair a good combing, then brushing.
Divide hair in half (like I wanted to make 2 braids)
Put about 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil in the bottom half of my length on each side (1 teaspoon total, but I'm guessing, not measuring).
Leave at least one hour or overnight.
CWC - conditioner to length, diluted shampoo to scalp.

Result: Clean, well-conditioned hair!

aenigmatica8
July 25th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Hey there! I think I can help because I deep condition with coconut oil every weekend! First of all, every time I start off with unwashed, DRY hair. This ensures that the coconut oil can actually penetrate deep into the hairshaft, versus being blocked by water that your hair has already absorbed. The amount you use is really up to you- As long as you fully saturate your hair and you wash it out completely. Actually, you should concentrate both on the ends of your hair and on the scalp. Scalp so that you improve blood flow by the massaging motion you will use to rub it in and so that the nutrients in the coconut oil can be absorbed. Actually, I think you should keep it on your hair for longer! Thirty minutes helps, but a couple of hours is better.... Overnight is even better! However, under time constraints, you can apply heat for half an hour and get similar results. When you wash the oil out, you should shampoo twice to make sure you aren't left with greasy hair. For me, two organic, natural "shampooings" is enough to get it all out. Just be thorough! Then condition as usual, and blast cold water onto your hair for as long as you can stand before getting out of the shower to boost shine!

Good luck! (Hope my reply wasn't too long so that it bores you.)

aenigmatica8
July 25th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Hey there! I think I can help because I deep condition with coconut oil every weekend! First of all, every time I start off with unwashed, DRY hair. This ensures that the coconut oil can actually penetrate deep into the hairshaft, versus being blocked by water that your hair has already absorbed. The amount you use is really up to you- As long as you fully saturate your hair and you wash it out completely. Actually, you should concentrate both on the ends of your hair and on the scalp. Scalp so that you improve blood flow by the massaging motion you will use to rub it in and so that the nutrients in the coconut oil can be absorbed. Actually, I think you should keep it on your hair for longer! Thirty minutes helps, but a couple of hours is better.... Overnight is even better! However, under time constraints, you can apply heat for half an hour and get similar results. When you wash the oil out, you should shampoo twice to make sure you aren't left with greasy hair. For me, two organic, natural "shampooings" is enough to get it all out. Just be thorough! Then condition as usual, and blast cold water onto your hair for as long as you can stand before getting out of the shower to boost shine!

Good luck! (Hope my reply wasn't too long so that it bores you.)

Oh, sorry, and additionally, I wanted to say that as you probably know, you should focus on the ends of your hair as well as the scalp because they are the most damaged and dry.