PDA

View Full Version : What could you not live without???

faithsdaisy421
July 19th, 2011, 04:16 PM
So, I am just wondering... what do you do for your hair that you would never ever want to give up? Not using 'cones, S&D, not brushing when wet, using oils... etc??

I think mine has been a combo of using sls free shampoo and going cone free. My hair can go so much longer between washes now!

Narya
July 19th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Using less shampoo. I started with S/C, changed to CWC and now I'm COing, searching for no coney conditioners so I can give up clarifying as much as I have to now. I wouldn't want to give up my no 'poo routine, my hair is happy without shampoo and cranky when I use it!

faithsdaisy421
July 19th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Thanks Narya! I am glad to hear you are having success with COing. I see that you have fine hair... I must admit that I am surprised it is working for you. I just assumed with my fine hair CO would not be an option! I may have to look into that...

RitaCeleste
July 19th, 2011, 04:39 PM
I started cowashing with trader joe's nourish spa conditioner and deep conditioning with AOHR plus using the AOHR as a leave in. Oiling with something is also a must. It can be meadowfoam or EVOO. I'm not sure where coconut fits in and whether or not it causes me to loose color yet, but I like it too. Deep treatments with honey and EVOO are great too. I tried to go to the bare minimum over the summer and it didn't work. I like having spoiled hair right now.

ElusiveMuse
July 19th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Oiling, for sure. I am starting to experiment with making my own, but coconut is my go-to.

Sundial
July 19th, 2011, 04:48 PM
For me, it has got to be silk pillowcases. I am a very restless sleeper and the switch had made a dramatic difference in both my hair and skin (I used to get red patches and imprints on the sides of my face, broken and frizzy hair strands on my temples :rolleyes:)

pepperminttea
July 19th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Conditioner. I can wash with it, moisturise with it, even dilute it as leave-in if needs be.

Coconut oil is a very close second. :)

Copasetic
July 19th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Conditioner. I can wash with it, moisturise with it, even dilute it as leave-in if needs be.

Coconut oil is a very close second. :)

100% agreed! I could never give up conditioner. My hair looks terrible without it.

faithsdaisy421
July 19th, 2011, 05:23 PM
I love these answers! I am going to have to try the CO method!

Also, I recently bought a silk head wrap to sleep in. I am loving it, so far =)

ellen732
July 19th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Trimming my own hair.

pocketsmall
July 19th, 2011, 05:52 PM
That's an easy one...coconut oil!

Leisje
July 19th, 2011, 06:24 PM
I could not live without my whole routine. My hair loves it! I don't think I could choose just one. But if I absolutely had to... I would say shampoo bars and citric acid have made the biggest difference in my hair because I shed so little now and my hair is a lot fuller and softer.

Routine:
Shampoo bars + citric acid.
Deep oiling with coconut or EVOO.
Post wash oiling with camellia or apricot.
Silk pillowcases.
Wooden hair comb and brush.
Hairforks.

Shanbot
July 19th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Even though I'm not too picky about brands and types of shampoos and conditioners, and I don't use a lot of other products regularly enough to worry about going without, I have to say I go batty when I find myself at someone else's house during the holidays or accidentally on vacation without ANY conditioner at all! My brothers and father don't have any, not even a little travel size one from a hotel hiding under the sink! (Gasp!)

So I'd have to say conditioner, otherwise I'd feel like a very scruffy bale of hay!

GoldberryHair
July 19th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Garnier Frustis Triple Nutrition Leave-in:) AMAZING.

silverjen
July 19th, 2011, 07:29 PM
My Mason Pearson brush. Love it! I can go WO and product free if I have to (have done it before), but the brush is a must-have.

Madora
July 19th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Wide tooth comb and my pure bbb!

jujube
July 19th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Cheap condish. Wash, condition, leave-in and basis for DTs.

nocojojo
July 19th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Love my wide tooth comb (seamless, thanks to LHC!). Detangling with conditioner on and NOT towel drying is huge.

AnnaJamila
July 19th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Wearing a sleeping cap! That makes things so much smoother and less tangly!

QueenJoey
July 19th, 2011, 10:06 PM
So many things! But f I have to choose, I've gotta say it's switching to using homemade hair products. My hair is feeling great now that it's not dependent on chemicals and all that. And I love that many of the stuff on my hair shelf was cheaper than commercial products and can be used for more than just my hair.

I just love any multi-tasking product I didn't have to spend an arm and a leg for. Especially if it's this great for my hair in the long run.

Loreley
July 19th, 2011, 11:25 PM
I couldn't live without oiling my hair. The second would be my favourite sulfate-free shampoo. Then Triple Nutrition conditioner, my wide tooth comb, hairsticks, self-trims, etc.

Spacescape
July 19th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Dutch braids! It doesn't matter how much of a bad hair day I'm having, or how fast I have to do them, or how hot it is outside, twin Dutch braids automatically flatter my face and get my hair out of my way. I can leave them down if I'm feeling sporty or pin them up if I need to look more sophisticated. It's my go-to hairstyle for times when my hair absolutely has to look good, along with times when I can't be bothered to try and make it look good.

kidari
July 19th, 2011, 11:44 PM
There a many things I couldn't live without but the number one most important to me is learning to cut my own hair well and not letting anyone touch it. Asides from that is discovering oiling and learning that the less you do to your hair the better it looks. Also learning to love your natural texture and working with it to make it look its best- I'm still trying to accept that my hair is not wavy or curly and still learning to wear my hair straight most days. Ever since I quit heat styling I got addicted to non-heat methods for curling my straight hair so I'm still trying but at least I've moved on to healthier hair methods.

tiny_teesha
July 20th, 2011, 05:19 AM
Neelibringadi Oil. It's a new NEED. :)
Stops my hair from shedding. Amazing stuff.

Henrietta
July 20th, 2011, 08:56 AM
For me it;s just using conditioner, keeping it long and warm on my hair.

Anje
July 20th, 2011, 10:08 AM
My hair needs water and either oil or conditioner. And I need hairsticks! Just about everything else is optional. (It's amazing what people who've done WO can live without, hair-wise.) Though I have yet to kick the habit of combing my hair out while it's still damp post-wash.

faithsdaisy421
July 20th, 2011, 11:55 AM
I could not live without my whole routine. My hair loves it! I don't think I could choose just one. But if I absolutely had to... I would say shampoo bars and citric acid have made the biggest difference in my hair because I shed so little now and my hair is a lot fuller and softer.
I am intrigued by the citric acid? Can you explain what you do exactly for that?

Anje
July 20th, 2011, 12:00 PM
I am intrigued by the citric acid? Can you explain what you do exactly for that?
If I may answer for her, citric acid rinses are sometimes used for the same purposes as diluted vinegar rinses. But they don't smell strongly and the acid comes in crystal form, both of which are preferred by some folks.

LoversLullaby
July 20th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Bun covers :)

Close seconds are cone free conditioner and coconut oil.

faithsdaisy421
July 20th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Thanks Anje! I had no idea...

Neneka
July 20th, 2011, 12:55 PM
At this point its my anti fungal shampoo. :agree: I have been living with itchy scalp for too long. The others are conditioner and my self made oil and vinegar spray.

sun-kissed
July 20th, 2011, 01:07 PM
I need my WO cold showers, coconut oil, and hairsticks; the loves of my life.

CastaDiva
July 20th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Cones and hair sticks.

SC
July 20th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I was about to say beak clips, but I need to change it to be my mini flexi8. It's just wonderful with ending a braid, and it catches your eye unlike some hair elastics. So mini flexi8 it is.

Stub
July 20th, 2011, 02:50 PM
vinegar! And braids. If I could not braid my hair it would be SHORT forever.