PDA

View Full Version : How long did it take YOU...

MajorasMask
July 19th, 2011, 03:50 PM
...to grow from shoulder to ____??

I'm really interested to hear how much grueling time was waited out, to make me feel a little better about myself. Usually I practice the whole benign neglect thing, but seeing so many girls around my college with waist length hair is killing me x_x
Its always been my dream to hit waist, (so if you're waist I'd be especially interested!!) but every time I hit BSL I hang around there for awhile, and then damage forces me to cut it. So here I am, at shoulder length again. And my hair growth fluctuates too much to be sure about anything :( so I dont have an avg growth rate. Plus, i was never clear on how to measure hair, een though I read through thread and everything. Slow. So how about you guys??

see_turtle
July 19th, 2011, 04:33 PM
I was a bit past shoulder in December of 2009 and I am nearing waist now(see album for pix)...I should be to waist by December of this year if my growth rate continues as it has...so two years from ~shoulder to waist.

ElusiveMuse
July 19th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I haven't had shoulder length hair in a long time so I can't speak to growing it out, really, but if you find you constantly have to chop off damage, maybe you should try to tinker with your hair care routine? That could help you retain the length you grow. I know how excruciating it is, my hair grows very slowly. I'm predicting it will take me two years to go BSL to waist.

ETA- Last summer I was just at BSL and I'm still just barely grazing the top of my waist with my longest layer. So...sometimes it just takes a while.

faithsdaisy421
July 19th, 2011, 04:37 PM
It took me about a year to go from shoulder to BSL. It went much faster once I started treating my hair better! I am hoping to be at waist by Halloween of 2012.

constantki
July 19th, 2011, 04:40 PM
It took me a little less than 5 years to grow from shoulder to tailbone length.

racrane
July 19th, 2011, 11:17 PM
It took me three years to grow from shoulder to *just past* waist in high school. Mind you, I was getting trims every 3 months.

Mairéad
July 19th, 2011, 11:22 PM
My hair grows quickly I can usually hit waist in 2-3 years if I'm growing a bob.

Tabihito
July 19th, 2011, 11:54 PM
I was at shoulder about a year and a half ago, and I'm nearly BSL now (depends on what bra I'm wearing, but I already determined it'll be the one that actually fits, and I've got an inch left for that one). So three years after shoulder, I should be somewhere around hip, though my torso is rather short.

MajorasMask
July 20th, 2011, 12:48 AM
Amazing growth :D it gives me hope! & your hair is super pretty!

MajorasMask
July 20th, 2011, 12:52 AM
I haven't had shoulder length hair in a long time so I can't speak to growing it out, really, but if you find you constantly have to chop off damage, maybe you should try to tinker with your hair care routine? That could help you retain the length you grow. I know how excruciating it is, my hair grows very slowly. I'm predicting it will take me two years to go BSL to waist.

ETA- Last summer I was just at BSL and I'm still just barely grazing the top of my waist with my longest layer. So...sometimes it just takes a while.

Ah I see. Yes, ever since I joined LHC my hair care has been much better it definitely makes a difference with routine and everything.
Two years from BSL to waist?? Wow, do you have a long torso :0 ? Im a 5'1 shortie so it sounds like forever to me!!

Alaia
July 20th, 2011, 02:00 AM
I've never been as short as shoulder I'm afraid, but my shortest layers before were at Chin and they took two years, no trims, to get to Waist.

I'm 5'4". My hair in general took 8 months to go between BSL and Waist (it's 4" and at that time I had a steady growth rate). I can't do any buns at BSL, I remember just being able to form a cinnabun (but it fell out immediately) at BSL because of the layers and the taper. Now that I have blunt ends (and I'm pretty much at Waist) I can only just do a cinnabun.

alwayssmiling
July 20th, 2011, 02:30 AM
Thats great growth - 2 years wow! I went from just scraping shoulder to apl in 1.5 years. I expect to be at BSL at the end of the year so that would be 2 years 3 months. I had massive bleach damage when I first started growing so I've had plenty of trims.

Well done you.

oktobergoud
July 20th, 2011, 02:44 AM
I wish my hair was shoulder length! ;)
My hair always takes forever to grow out, sadly...

freckles
July 20th, 2011, 04:42 AM
Mine was last at around shoulder in ... 2007?
When I came to LHC in 2009 it was around BSL.
Last year it hit waist, now it's around hip.

So for me, it was about 2 years to BSL, 3 years to waist, 4 years to hip.
Except I was growing for two years without LHC care (or really, any care!). I think it could have been faster if I'd known then what I know now :)

Mina_Harker
July 20th, 2011, 04:47 AM
I have been at waist length on and off since I was 7. In between I would cut and donate my hair to locks of love so I had quite a few times that I would be growing out again. The last time I cut my hair to my shoulders and it has just grown past my waist. That would be about 4 years, but I did have a few extreme trims and style along the way so it might have taken less time if I had just let it grow.

Night_Kitten
July 20th, 2011, 04:49 AM
I had chin-length in the end of 2003 / beginning of 2004, and reached hip in Agust 2009 and classic in May 2011. But I had one big trim between hip and classic, and alot of trims / cuts to style it between chin and hip (before LHC I used to actually listen to the hairdresser and let her cut more than was needed... *sigh* )

torrilin
July 20th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Ah I see. Yes, ever since I joined LHC my hair care has been much better it definitely makes a difference with routine and everything.
Two years from BSL to waist?? Wow, do you have a long torso :0 ? Im a 5'1 shortie so it sounds like forever to me!!

It's not unreasonable. Top of BSL for me would be around 24". BSL proper is 26". Waist is 32" Looks like waist is around 34" or so.

I grow at about 0.75" per month, so at 10" from top of BSL to full on waist, it's 14 months. Add in trimming to keep splits under control because I'm a finey and it'd be easy for it to take 2 years. (Classic is going to be somewhere in the 42" plus range)

By comparison, it's maybe 2" from APL to top of BSL on me, and maaaaaaaaaaybe 4" from APL to proper BSL.

Tuna
July 20th, 2011, 09:55 AM
3 years back i was shoulder lenght. Lower half of my hair was bleached to blonde/orange, upper part was dark brown (my natural color). Today my hair is at hip lenght and m is completley bleach free. =)

Anje
July 20th, 2011, 10:13 AM
I think it was about 4.5 years from shoulder to BCL. Though I wasn't actively growing my hair out for all of that, and managed to have a nice long stall just south of BSL. Also, I've got a fairly short torso.

Herb
July 20th, 2011, 10:15 AM
About 5 years to go from just past shoulder to just past classic. Of course, there were quite a few one-inch trims, and at least one four-inch trim.

ChatNoir
July 20th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Hmm... I chopped to just above shoulder in the middle of last august (2010) and now I'm past APL, sooo.. Almost a year from shoulder to APL? :P

layla<33
July 20th, 2011, 11:23 AM
well idk how long it took me to get were i am now from shoulder but it will only take me six months to get from BSL to waist (i got a little less than five months to go ;) ) and im 5'5 and have a long torso.. and long legs.. and long arms.. and eventually long hair :D oh but my hair grows 1" a month thanks to good hair genes from both of my parents :D