PDA

View Full Version : Finally going for it: dreadlocks!

klcqtee
July 19th, 2011, 11:14 AM
So, I finally reached waist length a few months ago, and started seriously (again) considering dreadlocks. Well, I've now got a stable job, and the dress code says nothing about women's hair other than that it must be clean and not be in the way at work. I can do that with dreads, so I'm set!

Anyway, here's my hair, pre-dreads:http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3354&pictureid=108245

and as proof, these are the first dreads I've been making:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3354&pictureid=108244

Since my hair naturally tries to become dreadlocks if I don't brush for a few days, it's very easy to just twist it, then gently back comb a little, and twist some more. No wax, no product, and I feel like if I do need to get rid of them (say when I graduate and need a more professional look), I may be able to comb them out, and cut back to shoulder, as opposed to shaving (which I may do anyway).

So, LHC, I've finally decided, and I'll be sure to post a picture when I have it all done!

Wavelin
July 19th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Hi! I had dreads, and felt a sudden need to share my experiences :D I loved my dreadlocks when I had them! But I didn't like how they grew out thinner than they had been made. I tried to keep dreading them as thick, but it didn't work. They were quite thick and if I ever make dreads again I will make them thinner, which looks more feminine and grows out nicer.

One thing to think about, dreadlocks shrink like crazy, both in width and length. I had BSL when I made my dreads, two years later when I trimmed them of I was at shoulder (at best!). They also got about 1/2 to 1/3 of the thickness they had in the first few weeks.

But there was no problem washing them or dying them. I washed them once every other week, and did a WO wash every other week. It took ages for them to dry so I didn't wanted to wet them more than once a week. I also waxed them with bees wax.

I would have had NO chance of combing them out, whatsoever :D But go for it!

Wavelin
July 19th, 2011, 11:31 AM
O, and I have a dreads-pic in my album, as you can see they are quite thick.

klcqtee
July 19th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Well, the ones I've made have only lost a couple inches so far, but I imagine they'll get shorter as they become more compact. Thanks for the advice about making them a little on the thinner side. I hadn't thought about how thickness affected how feminine one comes off as.

I did know that they would take forever to dry, and it's important they dry fully between washings. Why did you wax them?

Wavelin
July 19th, 2011, 12:10 PM
I was told I should :D This was before LHS so I didn't have much of an opinion about hare care back then. But I used the wax when "rubbing/dreading" them, it worked pretty well to enhance the dreading process.

LunaMoon
July 19th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Wow! cool!
I love dreadlocks! So bad I never had a job that allowed them.
Go for it! have fun!
And... we want pics of course!:D