PDA

View Full Version : Crinkle splits

claymoregalatea
July 19th, 2011, 01:27 AM
Hi everyone, I have questions about crinkle splits as I have a whole heap of them and they are really getting on my nerves.:eek: I never get any other splits other than taper, but I rarely get those as well. It's just the crinkles :disgust:. I can't cut them, because they are usually the whole strand, so I yank them out and it works and I don't mind. The ones I pull out are usually really rough, thick, bumpy and split when I break them, but they are strong and shine a lot. Other than that, my hair is healthy and I try to take good care of it. So, what should I do, should I keep pulling them, leave them alone? Lots of advice would be great, thanks.:) For those of you that don't know, it's a type of split end.

Roseate
July 19th, 2011, 01:36 AM
The ones I pull out are usually really rough, thick, bumpy and split when I break them, but they are strong and shine a lot....So, what should I do, should I keep pulling them, leave them alone?

Leave them alone. Unless you want thinner hair, if so, by all means keep plucking.

Strong, shiny, coarse, kinky hair sounds just fine to me, and not something I would want to pull out by the root!

alwayssmiling
July 19th, 2011, 01:41 AM
Have you always had these? It could just be your natural texture. What you describe are hairs like mine. I have very fine hair at the front, but I have one underneath section and a section on my crown that is very thick and coarse. Often wiry, crinkly or corkskrew curly. My OH describes them as fuse wire! They are sometimes split but often not. This texture of hair came in my teenage years. Don't pluck them out. Extra moisture, and a generous amount of leave in conditioner softens them to help them sit nicely.

Hope this is what you mean because I've never heard of crinkle splits before. Forgive me if I'm wrong.

Narya
July 19th, 2011, 01:41 AM
Those are the hairs that trigger my trichotillomania :( I understand how the different texture, the bumpiness, can feel so alien but I'd also advice against pulling them out: they will come back with the same texture, again and again, there's no way you can win that battle.

Also, I'd say they are perfectly normal hairs, just different and that's why they stand out to you. That's what happens to me, at least. So I vote "Leave them alone".

claymoregalatea
July 19th, 2011, 01:48 AM
Have you always had these? It could just be your natural texture. What you describe are hairs like mine. I have very fine hair at the front, but I have one underneath section and a section on my crown that is very thick and coarse. Often wiry, crinkly or corkskrew curly. My OH describes them as fuse wire! They are sometimes split but often not. This texture of hair came in my teenage years. Don't pluck them out. Extra moisture, and a generous amount of leave in conditioner softens them to help them sit nicely.

Hope this is what you mean because I've never heard of crinkle splits before. Forgive me if I'm wrong.

I'm not sure if I've always had them, but yes, I am in the middle of my teenage years. Thankyou, I will try put in some leave in conditioner and oils more often. :D

claymoregalatea
July 19th, 2011, 01:51 AM
Double post sorry

claymoregalatea
July 19th, 2011, 01:51 AM
Thanks Roseate and Narya.

pink.sara
July 19th, 2011, 02:44 AM
I have these! They are not the most attractive hair strands and when they are short tend to stick straight upwards in all directions :rollseyes:
They do feel weird in my otherwise fine/medium hair. But they are shiny!

vanillabones
July 19th, 2011, 07:47 AM
I got splits like that a few months ago from all my bleach and extensions damage of late 2010. They bothered me so much I had to S&D chunks off of my hair that I couldn't really afford to do since I barely have any hair. Growing back healthy hair is worth it though.
To me it sounds like this isn't excessive damage and you are just really prone to splits but your hairs are healthy. I would leave them and see what happens as you get longer hair over the years while regrowing out to your length.

chahuahuas
July 19th, 2011, 08:08 AM
I don't think you should ever pluck any of your hair by the root. There's no reason that the hair should be damaged all the way up and down the strand, since it doesn't grow out of your head damaged. If you really hate that particularly strand, cut off the damage part way up the strand. That way you can at least use that hair for ponytail circumference in a few months, and in a few years it will match up with the rest of your hair (if you trim routinely)

Btw, my mom used to pluck hair from the top of her head as a nervous habit, and now she has a thin/bald spot on her head from it!

WilfredAllen
October 3rd, 2012, 10:05 PM
I've started finding these too. I have no idea where they come from but they are driving me crazy. I was using a rubbing ponytail holder (shame on me :( ) for a while and doing that thing where you adjust it by pulling your hair

jacqueline101
October 3rd, 2012, 10:54 PM
I've gotten lazy on my s&d. I've noticed a lot of splits. I wouldn't rip out the whole hair just clip the splits.

goldloli
October 11th, 2012, 08:04 PM
sounds like how my trichotillomania started also.

op- they aren't splits just coarse hairs, don't pull them out it damages the follicle and eventually leads to that hair not growing back. It becomes addictive, i'm not scaremongering or exaggerating, it's a legit illness like ocd where you end up pulling out all your hair starting with the crinkly ones. it usually starts in teen years and i wouldn't get on that slippery slope if i were you. we have a thread for all the long hairs who have it, you may find that many other ppl started out with just one or 2 crinkly hairs.

get some scissors and s&d the 'traditional' splits at the ends instead, much healthier habit. :)