PDA

View Full Version : Tell me your best leave-in recipes!! :)

SoulOfTheSea
July 19th, 2011, 12:17 AM
I am so so curious as to what kind of leave-in oils mixes, sprays, gels, etc, that people have concocted and use on their wet hair after they wash it!

I don't put in anything in my hair after I come out of the shower, but I would sure love to start! So please share recipes and how it has changed your hair since using it :) Much appreciated!!! :cheese:

Sidenote: I do put jojoba oil in my dry hair. I've tried putting it in my wet hair, but my hair didn't like it :P

Tabihito
July 19th, 2011, 12:20 AM
When I plan on wearing my hair down and wurly, I usually leave a nickel-sized squirt of straight conditioner in. If I'm wearing it up, usually nothing, occasionally coconut oil if it's being particularly uncooperative and impossible.

For the former, I haven't noticed any major positive change, but there's no noticeable negative effect, and it's usually easier to comb the next day so that I can put it up. My hair pretty much does the same thing down no matter what I do to it, short of taking a brush to it. Scrunching, gel, nothing changes my wurlies much. Unfortunately. I'd love to get them to be curlies. Coconut oil, on the other hand, doesn't have an immediate effect, but the next day it's much better.

Eolan
July 19th, 2011, 12:24 AM
I use The Panacea Hair Salve by Nightblooming on Etsy. I like it better than any oil. :) I use a dollop on damp hair after I have washed it. (I also use this as a deep treatment before I wash.)

kidari
July 19th, 2011, 01:32 AM
I never have tried using actual conditioner in my hair until I came here. I've tried it in Fox's shea conditioning cream using Aussie 3mm. I was so scared to try it for a while because I really need to thoroughly rinse my hair after washing or else my hair is really unhappy. However I'm so thrilled I tried it because I love the results. It works better than straight coconut oil since it doesn't leave my ends greasy. So, I've been experimenting and bought my first bottle of V05 conditioner in kiwi lime squeeze and put a squirt of that into a mister with some distilled water and it gives me the best curls and waves with damp buns. Normally my curls fall out really fast and my hair goes straight unless I use some hairspray or mousse but this leave in conditioner concoction really makes my curls last and my hair is soft!

SoulOfTheSea
July 19th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I've tried straight up conditioner as a leave-in and it makes my hair dry :o You girls are lucky it works for you! And that Etsy balm looks like heaven in a jar!

I'm wondering if some people use a spray recipe of like rosewater, coconut oil, and aloe vera gel, if that's even possible in a spray? o_O

haibane
July 19th, 2011, 01:40 PM
If I want my hair ultra moisturized I mix like 10-20 drops of coconut oil with a table spoon or so of garnier triple nutrition conditioner, and put that goop on my length while it's still sopping wet. Leaves my hair more moisturized than anything, but also kind of stringy so I only do it when I know I'll be leaving it up.

Normally I use just triple nutrition, or also the red bottle garnier conditioner.

And for moisture spray mist, just a tiny bit of triple nutrition and coconut oil.

SallyCinnamon
July 19th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I like to keep it really simple...I take one of my old/empty Aussi Hair Insurance spray bottles, fill most of it with water, and put in a few big squirts of regular conditioner, and shake to mix. (Any spray bottle will work, obviously. I just like to re-use the Aussi spray bottles if I can.) I use whatever conditioner I have around. This is also a good way to use up that last little bit of conditioner in the bottle.

I use this as a de-tangler after my shower and a leave-in spray. It does not make my hair crunchy or product-y. What it does is make my hair manageable and easy to comb. I don't use too much conditioner in the mix, because I want it to have more of a liquid consistency. It's really simple to adjust it to suit your preferences though.

young&reckless
July 19th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I use The Panacea Hair Salve by Nightblooming on Etsy. I like it better than any oil. :) I use a dollop on damp hair after I have washed it. (I also use this as a deep treatment before I wash.)

I was just enabled into this by Gru.

I love this stuff and it smells amazing. Bonus- my hands are less dry and my nails are happy now too.

Blond On Blond
July 19th, 2011, 08:12 PM
If I want my hair ultra moisturized I mix like 10-20 drops of coconut oil with a table spoon or so of garnier triple nutrition conditioner, and put that goop on my length while it's still sopping wet. Leaves my hair more moisturized than anything, but also kind of stringy so I only do it when I know I'll be leaving it up.

Normally I use just triple nutrition, or also the red bottle garnier conditioner.

And for moisture spray mist, just a tiny bit of triple nutrition and coconut oil.

I'm so with you on Garnier Triple Nutrition! I use it as a leave-in and as a base for most of my DIY leave-ins. It's incredible mixed with a few drops of castor oil. My hair loves castor oil but it's so damn hard to distribute it evenly due to the thick consistency, mixing it with with the GTN solves the problem.

Garnier is great for mixing with jojoba oil too. Coconut is a no-no for my hair, same as olive oil.

jujube
July 19th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Plain grapeseed oil works for me on dry hair, sometimes mixed with aloe vera gel.

xoerincolleen
July 19th, 2011, 08:39 PM
I have a WONDERFUL leave-in that my aunt's yoga teacher makes. It's called Isvara Organic Hair Serum, and is a blend of jojoba oil, aloe oil, evening primrose oil, lavender EO, and rosemary EO. It smells amazing and makes my hair nice!

Tigermama
July 19th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Yay for Triple Nutrition! I use a pea sized amount as a leave in, along with olive oil to my ends. After work I spray with mix of vitamin e oil, water, castor oil, and a few tablespoons of triple nutrition in a spray bottle. For a nice scent I have been adding a few drops of chamomile oil. I agree, this is nice way to distribute the castor oil's awesome power without the problem of its viscosity! So far this has really cut down on breakage and splits for me.

Cardinal
July 19th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Great thread, I had been wondering about this too. I will start experimenting now.

bettylibertine
July 20th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Hmm.. thinking I may have to try some of these.
I generally use a couple of squirts of the Body Shop grapeseed serum mixed with a drop of argan oil. Makes my hair feel and smell lovely. :D

SoulOfTheSea
July 20th, 2011, 12:38 AM
Great thread, I had been wondering about this too. I will start experimenting now.

That is why I started this, I want to know what kind of weird potions and mixes are out there! :D

And I will have to try so hard not to try every single concoction! DDD: (But I am going to experiment with these recipes! Thanks guys! ^_^)

slz
July 20th, 2011, 01:58 PM
I used to use aloe vera gel and coconut oil, it's been 3 months now that I started using a blend of oils/butters I made myself and I'm very pleased with it. I use it as a leave in in small quantity on damp ends and lengths right after shampoo, or the night before shampoo in more generous amount as an oil treatment. Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=68482) is the recipe.

SoulOfTheSea
July 22nd, 2011, 05:13 PM
Thank you all for sharing :)

Alas, look what I found!:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277

Can't wait to try this :cheese:

C.H.
July 22nd, 2011, 06:13 PM
I used to use aloe vera gel and coconut oil, it's been 3 months now that I started using a blend of oils/butters I made myself and I'm very pleased with it. I use it as a leave in in small quantity on damp ends and lengths right after shampoo, or the night before shampoo in more generous amount as an oil treatment. Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=68482) is the recipe.

Why did you abandon the AVG + coconut oil? Is there something it wasn't doing for you?

slz
July 22nd, 2011, 06:34 PM
Why did you abandon the AVG + coconut oil? Is there something it wasn't doing for you?
Actually, I had no complains at the time, I just wanted to try something different - and I realized afterwards by comparison that my recipe gives more slip, and is easier to use, so I'm satisfied ! I would try aloe gel + my butter mix, should be even better, but I've misplaced my aloe tub - I will when I find it, because I love the moisturizing effect of aloe.