PDA

View Full Version : I don't want to wash my hair...

IndigoAsh
July 18th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Seriously. It's been over a week, I had brushed it out, oiled it, braided it, and then went to bed and my hair has been amazingly awesome. I had the intentions of oiling it and than washing it when I woke up because it had started to look greasy but now the flakes and greasy hair are absolutely gone and my hair is shiny and gorgeous and soft... and I don't want to wash it!!! My hair never smells or anything, but I feel kind of like maybe I'm taking the hair thing too far. It just feels and looks so amazing. I'm being totally gross aren't I?

ArienEllariel
July 18th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Nope, not at all. :)

Melon Collie
July 18th, 2011, 08:42 PM
If that makes you gross, then I'm completely disgusting.

By the second day after a wash my hair feels like silk right after a detangling and a brushing.

chahuahuas
July 18th, 2011, 08:43 PM
My hair never smells or anything, but I feel kind of like maybe I'm taking the hair thing too far. It just feels and looks so amazing. I'm being totally gross aren't I?

You aren't being gross if it looks and feels amazing... you're just paying attention to your hair's signals! As long as you continue to pay attention to how it's doing, you're fine. If it gets greasy or smelly or dry, then wash it Until then, you're good :)

Though I bet you aren't in the southern parts of america right now..... it is getting so HOT around here, there is no way I could get away with not showering that long. My hair would get so greasy after a while, especially since I bike to class!!

IndigoAsh
July 18th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Ok, I feel better about it. I was thinking maybe I was just getting straight up gross about my hair. Chahuahuas, I live about 10-15 miles from Mexico on the Rio Grande Valley border just across from Reynosa. I think it was somewhere 107 today. My husband and I run every morning at the park, but I put my hair in double french braids and pin them up. Part of my reason for wondering how far is too far with the whole not washing thing. Usually my hair gets pretty greasy after about a week because of the humidity. This time, it was just purely by accident that I saw an amazing improvement. I'm afraid it'll wash away in the shower. lol.

Eire
July 18th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Well, if it doesn't smell and is not greasy, then why think it's gross?

IndigoAsh
July 18th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I blame social brainwashing?

Madora
July 18th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Actually, if you wash your hair too much, the natural oils will be removed from your hair and it will end up looking like straw.

Of course there are situations where you need to wash more often than once a week..or if you have oily hair..but the longer you can keep from washing, the better for your hair.

Many here do shampoo often..but also take steps to make sure the hair is moisturized and nourished so that it doesn't dry out and become fried.

neko_kawaii
July 18th, 2011, 09:13 PM
I blame social brainwashing?
This. ^.^

We have a DVD titles something like Social Engineering 101 that is full of black and white hygiene films they used to show in schools. Things like, "I didn't get invited to the party, maybe I smell." I just finished reading The Dirt on Clean: An Unsanitized History and the institute that put those films together was funded and lead by, *drum roll* soap manufacturers.

whitestiletto
July 18th, 2011, 09:13 PM
I haven't washed my hair in a week and I've been rubbing olive oil and braiding it as well.... I'm going to take a stand with you and not wash tonight... Too much work anyway.

Cardinal
July 18th, 2011, 09:16 PM
I am in the hot/humid south, and I have been trying not to wash, but can't avoid at least running water through my hair when it gets itchy.

It's funny, since I joined this forum I seem to spend a lot of time with my hair damp from oiling or wet from moisturizing. :)

IStand4u
July 18th, 2011, 09:20 PM
I honestly hate washing my hair... I think if it doesn't smell, and it looks great, why try and fix something that isn't broken just because society says this is how it has to be? Like c'mon! The women in medieval ages had BEAUTIFUL hair and bathed what? A few times a year?

Cheese anyone? :cheese:

MeganE
July 18th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Maybe NW/SO method (no water/sebum only) would work for you? Have you seen the thread for it?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=144

IndigoAsh
July 18th, 2011, 10:09 PM
I've been checking out LHC since last January and I never had considered SO until now. I didn't think it'd be something I could pull off. I have a tendency to turn into a grease ball when I use soap on my face so I use water on my face only and oil my entire body after a shower... I hadn't really thought that maybe my scalp is having the same overly dry issue... since it is attached to the rest of the skin on my body. Herp-derp moment. I haven't been itchy or anything at all since I haven't washed it. It sound kind of like a major common sense factor, and you'd think that after a year and a half of being here I'd catch on! I've also gone through a major body over hall since March so maybe I'm seeing more of the benefits now. I'm diggin' it. I really appreciate everyone commenting on this, it's helped me quite a bit.

chahuahuas
July 18th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Herp-derp moment.

Heh. :p

(Yep, I'm sooo mature :rolleyes:)

Isala
July 18th, 2011, 10:47 PM
I am jealous of your hair getting better without washing, IndigoAsh. That is very awesome. I think I'm going to have to investigate this no washing thing some more. At the moment, my hair does get greasy, and the worst part is my scalp gets angry. I mean very angry.
Good luck and I'm excited to see where your adventure takes you! To wash or not to wash... :)

SoulOfTheSea
July 18th, 2011, 11:22 PM
You've inspired me to not wash my hair for as long as I can stand it =D

McFearless
July 18th, 2011, 11:42 PM
Honestly, don't feel embarassed. Go with the flow and do what makes your hair happy. There are no rules on how many times you have to wash your hair. In fact, we are pressured to wash our hair more often than we should. I wish I could stretch washes, but my curls turn into dreads. Scary sight.

LuXious
July 19th, 2011, 12:09 AM
I get oily in two days, even after years without sulfates. Cocoa or cornstarch are the only way I could ever get away without washing that long. You lucky lady!

Eolan
July 19th, 2011, 12:25 AM
I envy you, IndigoAsh! I wish I could go over a week without washing! :)

Seeshami
July 19th, 2011, 12:50 AM
I don't want to trim my hair, cut my hair or stop buying things to spoil it rotten. I can't think of anything that would make me do something I don't want to for my hair, so if you don't want to wash it, don't. I wouldn't.

clarinette
July 19th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Haha I thought the same thing lately..."wow, I'm becoming lazy/gross/paranoid" ; I feel that if I wash twice a week I'll end up destroying my hair....plus, jojoba oil and rooibos keep it balanced and smelling good the whole time between washes, but yesterday my husband said: hey you should wash your hair I think, it's becoming greasy....Greasy??? I was offended!! it's OILED, so.....yeah...

PolarCathy
July 19th, 2011, 01:02 AM
Seriously. It's been over a week, I had brushed it out, oiled it, braided it, and then went to bed and my hair has been amazingly awesome. I had the intentions of oiling it and than washing it when I woke up because it had started to look greasy but now the flakes and greasy hair are absolutely gone and my hair is shiny and gorgeous and soft... and I don't want to wash it!!! My hair never smells or anything, but I feel kind of like maybe I'm taking the hair thing too far. It just feels and looks so amazing. I'm being totally gross aren't I?

Even when I used to wash hair more often (khm) and with shampoo (another khmmmm...) I washed only once in every ten-fourteen days. Why would it matter what others think? Social brainwash as pointed out before me. I don't wash my face either. I wash it with warm water like every other day (I don't use makeup). Unless I exercise and get sweat of course. Gross? People regularly think I am in my early twenties. Something I must be doing right then.

Nephele
July 19th, 2011, 02:16 AM
Another one here who hates washing their hair. I wash mine every 2-3 weeks maybe? It really depends on how itchy my scalp gets.

I also don't wash my face - simply splash with water and gently buff with a towel once I get out. I'm also mistaken for late teens/early 20s a lot - I'm 28.

Washing really does seem to take away the good natural oils that we seem to need for our hair/body. If it's working for you, then don't change it!

wandlimb
July 19th, 2011, 03:06 AM
I'm so envious of you all. My hair only lasts two days at most before it looks like I've been frying chips in it!

Alaia
July 19th, 2011, 03:06 AM
The best part is nobody can even tell that you don't wash your hair as often as they do :eyebrows:

Biedronka
July 19th, 2011, 03:35 AM
I don't want to wash my hair either.Mostly because i'm lazy.Last time i washed it was Saturday...well i'll probably do a nice oiling tonight and wash tomorrow.I'm ok with not washing for some time when im home all day long,but when i have to go out and meet people,i kinda like to have somewhat recently washed hair.

EmiliaF
July 19th, 2011, 06:19 AM
I now EXACTLY how you feel. I have also somehow managed to going from having (!!) to wash every day to only washing once a week. I do however wash WO or use corn starch as dry-shampoo in between... so sometimes when I actually get to my wash day, I don't feel like I should wash because it looks fine. It just gets so soft by the end of the week... But if I don't wash I get time issues during the week so most of the time I still wash it.

IndigoAsh
July 19th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Chahuahuas- I was totally herp-derping myself, I hope you didn't think I was saying that about you >.>

I'm not quite sure what washless day today is, but I am definitely feeling less inclined to wash it as time passes. This'll be interesting, my husband hasn't said anything and he's usually also the first on my butt about 'You never shower' even though he's basing that off how often he sees me with wet hair lol. BTW, I do shower.

chahuahuas
July 19th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Chahuahuas- I was totally herp-derping myself, I hope you didn't think I was saying that about you >.>

huh? why would i think it was to me?

my husband hasn't said anything and he's usually also the first on my butt about 'You never shower' even though he's basing that off how often he sees me with wet hair lol. BTW, I do shower.

hahahha my boyfriend does that too, only he's basing it off how many times I actually shower :D Yea, I'm a teeny bit gross sometimes...

hey! don't look at me funny! I just bought a shower cap, so now I don't have the "i don't wanna mess up my hair" excuse!

Though there's always the "i'm just plain lazy" excuse. :p JK! JK! I swear I'll try to shower more now! (I hear that not showering could be good for your skin, but I have a few things I need to keep clean...)

I get oily in two days, even after years without sulfates. Cocoa or cornstarch are the only way I could ever get away without washing that long.
I was reading over at the NW/SO thread that there is an adjustment period for your hair, during which your hair eventually stops producing so much oil. Your scalp gets so in the first place greasy because it's attempting to compensate for the drying affects of daily showers.

It actually makes sense if you think about it; our bodies aren't made to be washed every day! We didn't wash our hair 10,000 years ago, and we definitely didn't use harsh detergents like SLS. (though maybe the prehistoric cultures could have used animal fats and various oils? Maybe that could be support for going CO, since you would be using only moisturizing ingredients, no detergents)

Melanie Marie
July 19th, 2011, 07:09 AM
As long as it doesn't smell and it looks and feels fine, I think it's perfectly alright! :p I wash way too much, twice a week, but I plan on cutting back!

Jenw777
July 19th, 2011, 09:05 AM
I'm in the same boat. Two weekends ago I had to was too much due to the pool/lake/river. Then I went from Sat or Sun to Friday without washing it. Now it's Tuedays and I'm starting to feel a little icky, but just don't feel like it.

I keep telling myself I can go one more day.

QueenJoey
July 19th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Don't wash your hair! Why try to fix something if it's not broken? If your hair is feeling fantabulous, don't wash it and have to start all over again.

You're so lucky that your hair is feeling good over a week after a wash! Mine is disgusting by day two. (grr) What's your secret?

Signe
July 19th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Of course you aren't gross! There are entire haircare methods based on not washing one's hair! Keep stretching washes as long as you can... good for your hair, good for the planet.

mrs_coffee
July 19th, 2011, 09:45 AM
I've gotten much more lax about hair washing since joining LHC. It was normal for me to wash every other day and I thought that was pushing it! Lately I've been washing my hair once a week (I started with every 3 days). It looks great and doesn't get greasy at all anymore.

Most importantly my itchy scalp problem is G-O-N-E. :cheer:

Paranda Belle
July 19th, 2011, 09:54 AM
I only wash my hair about every two weeks. And I do light oilings inbetween washes. I think if you wear your hair down more, you need to wash more. But if you wear it up and out of the way, you can seriously go for weeks.

littlenvy
July 19th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Don't wash it then!
I only wash mine when it needs it.

trolleypup
July 19th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Preening now prior to washing after a week or something...I can't remember...but usually my scalp lets me know when it is time "Like Right NOW!!!" Hair still feels nice, but I'm sure it is getting piecey.

LunaMoon
July 19th, 2011, 01:46 PM
IndigoAsh you are sooo lucky! I will love to be able to go SO. I am COing and trying to stretch my washes and Go WO if I am lucky enough.

Amber_Maiden
July 19th, 2011, 02:00 PM
I go without washing my hair for as long as 10 days... I then only wash it because I miss the smell of my CO. lol

IndigoAsh
July 19th, 2011, 04:13 PM
yeah, I love my hair smelling pretty. I'd rather is be soft and shiny though. I'm not sure when I'll know I need to wash it, since my past ideas on 'dirty' and 'clean' hair have been skewed. I'm thinking that if/when I get to the 'I really need to wash this nastyness' I'll do just an ACV? I have to admit, I'm at a point where I feel like I'm relearning my hair all over again.

faithsdaisy421
July 19th, 2011, 04:23 PM
I am actually quite proud of you and your hair!

It is so sad that most people think that if hair is not washed once a day it is icky and gross. My hair is clean, soft, smells amazing, and healthy. I wash 2x a week at MOST! People comment on my hair and ask what I do to it. For awhile I would tell them, but they look at me like I have 4 heads or something.

You know, I remember a time when I was washing my hair twice a day! I could not understand why it was so gross and oily all the time...

chahuahuas
July 19th, 2011, 04:57 PM
I'm thinking that if/when I get to the 'I really need to wash this nastyness' I'll do just an ACV?

You could try doing a rinse, or you could try a more traditional "shampoo" [I use the term lightly] route that I've been recommending to people alot lately, and that is to use a baby shampoo & bodywash combo. Where sulfate-free shampoos often have sulfate derivatives, baby shampoos have to be gentler than that, because they can't irritate an infants skin or eyes.

I've tried 3 different shampoo & body wash combos, and I really like California Baby's Super Sensitive Shampoo & Bodywash (http://www.californiababy.com/super-sensitive-shampoo-bodywash-8-5-oz.html). It has a neutral smell (Burt's Bees smells a little funky), it's cheap, you can get it in a huge pump bottle, and you can use it everwhere!
http://di1-3.shoppingshadow.com/images/pi/f6/40/90/94119639-260x260-0-0_California+Baby+California+Baby+Super+Sensitive+ Sh.jpg (http://www.californiababy.com/super-sensitive-shampoo-bodywash-8-5-oz.html)

IndigoAsh
July 19th, 2011, 06:01 PM
HAH! Chahuahuas it's so funny you post that because it's actually the only shampoo I buy. It's like $17 from Target for the big one. I use the lavender scented shampoo from them. I ABSOLUTELY love it and have recommended it to so many people. Fantastic product!

chahuahuas
July 19th, 2011, 06:27 PM
HAH! Chahuahuas it's so funny you post that because it's actually the only shampoo I buy. It's like $17 from Target for the big one. I use the lavender scented shampoo from them. I ABSOLUTELY love it and have recommended it to so many people. Fantastic product!

So why try a ACV rinse instead? Or did you mean in addition to? I'm not very familiar with rinses... I just know that the california baby gets my hair clean enough :)

IndigoAsh
July 19th, 2011, 06:57 PM
I like the way my hair feels so smooth after an ACV. I like to rotate shampooing/conditioning and baking soda and ACV rinses. I bought the shampoo/body wash for my kids originally plus rotating my routine makes the Cali Baby dollar stretch since it's 4 of us using one container. I use quite a bit when I wash the crown of my head and the hairs where my neck is with it since its so thick and tend to accumulate the most greasy hair clumps. This NW/SO has been something I've recently, accidentally, found out works for me so far.

chahuahuas
July 19th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I like the way my hair feels so smooth after an ACV. I like to rotate shampooing/conditioning and baking soda and ACV rinses.

...This NW/SO has been something I've recently, accidentally, found out works for me so far.

I understand the thought process behind NW/SO (the body takes care of itself), but I don't know much about ACV rinses. Do you know why it makes your hair feel soft?

proo
July 19th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Honestly, most of the time when I W/O wash it's because it's fun and I just want to love on it, not because it really needs it.

sun-kissed
July 19th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I am actually quite proud of you and your hair!

It is so sad that most people think that if hair is not washed once a day it is icky and gross. My hair is clean, soft, smells amazing, and healthy. I wash 2x a week at MOST! People comment on my hair and ask what I do to it. For awhile I would tell them, but they look at me like I have 4 heads or something.

You know, I remember a time when I was washing my hair twice a day! I could not understand why it was so gross and oily all the time...
Exactly why I keep my WO secret to myself now. :p

Awesome, IndigoAsh, you just keep that up and be happy!
Right now I have gotten to an every-other day schedule, from a twice-a-day one I had a year ago[ick!!], but slowly am getting greasier as I give in to the temptation of the shower. I think it'd be fun to try a crash-course on my head.. -smilestoself-

clarinette
July 20th, 2011, 12:56 AM
I remember , when I used to wash my hair evey time I showered, hearing girls say "I can't, I have to wash my hair" and think it was the funniest fake excuse ever....but now that "washing my hair " includes so many steps , before, during, after the shower, I think I'm starting to get it...

sharicat
July 21st, 2011, 01:44 AM
I remember , when I used to wash my hair evey time I showered, hearing girls say "I can't, I have to wash my hair" and think it was the funniest fake excuse ever....but now that "washing my hair " includes so many steps , before, during, after the shower, I think I'm starting to get it...

Ha I have been thinking the same! Now I have to devote an evening twice a week to washing my hair! :D