PDA

View Full Version : Weird things you've done just for your hair

kahill
July 18th, 2011, 04:40 PM
So, today I switched from a shoulder bag to a hand bag just because I was worried that my shoulder strap would damage the hair when I carry my purse. It was a sacrifice because I've carried a shoulder bag for at least the last 20 years.

That got me thinking, what odd things have you given up or sacrificed solely for the sake of your hair?

:gobblecheese:

whitestiletto
July 18th, 2011, 04:53 PM
I sued a hair salon in small-claims court after a hairdresser cut my APL hair to a shoulder/chin-length mullet. I lost, though. *sigh*

BrightEyes7
July 18th, 2011, 05:22 PM
I plan my hair washing around events and parties. I pretty much start planning when I'll wash my hair at least two weeks ahead of time.

Sometimes I try to work through my schedule out loud and DBF thinks I'm crazy! :laugh:

"But honey we're going out of town in 3 weeks so I need to wash my hair tonight so it doesn't mess things up"

kahill
July 18th, 2011, 05:27 PM
I sued a hair salon in small-claims court after a hairdresser cut my APL hair to a shoulder/chin-length mullet. I lost, though. *sigh*

I might have done that too! At a minimum, you could have argued that your hair had value if you had desired to sell it or something... :(

gthlvrmx
July 18th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I plan my hair washing around events and parties. I pretty much start planning when I'll wash my hair at least two weeks ahead of time.

Sometimes I try to work through my schedule out loud and DBF thinks I'm crazy! :laugh:

"But honey we're going out of town in 3 weeks so I need to wash my hair tonight so it doesn't mess things up"

I do the same too :p
Don't want people seeing my secret!!

Speckla
July 18th, 2011, 05:53 PM
I have 1/2 lbs of mud on my head right now. Love henna!

JellyBene
July 18th, 2011, 06:07 PM
I read on TLHC that catnip is good for hair so I went to PetSmart and bought a giant tub of organic catnip and when I got realy to make some catnip tea I relized I had no teabags so I cut a sock in half, poured in some catnip and tied it off with a hairtie. When my mom saw me doing this she said "what are you DOING?" I told her "making catnip tea to pour on my head" and she said "I shouldn't have even asked...."

Ligeia_13
July 19th, 2011, 03:48 AM
I read on TLHC that catnip is good for hair so I went to PetSmart and bought a giant tub of organic catnip and when I got realy to make some catnip tea I relized I had no teabags so I cut a sock in half, poured in some catnip and tied it off with a hairtie. When my mom saw me doing this she said "what are you DOING?" I told her "making catnip tea to pour on my head" and she said "I shouldn't have even asked...."

Hahahahahahaha :D that's amazing! I know if I were living at home, my hair behaviour would be severely frowned upon.

Panth
July 19th, 2011, 04:14 AM

You don't actually need to make a teabag, you know. Just put a teaspoon-full in the water for however long, then pour the resulting liquid into a different container through a sieve or some fine cloth. Helps if the first container (that you brewed it in) had a spout on. ^_^

You can also use a teaball (a metal mesh ball on a stick/chain that one fills with tea leaves to make a halfway house between a teabag and a proper tea leaf brew).

Night_Kitten
July 19th, 2011, 06:28 AM
I have a tub of catnip too, but about a month ago I desided that I want my own, so I went and bought 3 catnip plants... And one rosemarry plant...
I have 5 cats by the way... LOL :o

Mina_Harker
July 19th, 2011, 06:32 AM
You could put the catnip straight in the water and strain it off. That would probably be easier.

Melanie Marie
July 19th, 2011, 07:02 AM
I also take special events into consideration when I wash my hair! And I have always preferred handheld bags over shoulder bags.

One time I had to walk somewhere and I didn't oil my hair before braiding, so I wrapped it all up in a scarf and walked the whole way like that so that my hairstyle would be fresh when I arrived. I took it off only when I was very close. :p

Angeletti
July 19th, 2011, 07:15 AM
One time I had to walk somewhere and I didn't oil my hair before braiding, so I wrapped it all up in a scarf and walked the whole way like that so that my hairstyle would be fresh when I arrived. I took it off only when I was very close. :p

This reminds me of what I'll do before going to work. If I have my sponge curlers in from the night before I'll leave them in until I get to work and then take them out in the work bathroom, that way the curls don't fall out instantly on the car ride up. Yes I'm one of those people who go out in public with curlers lol.

Sundial
July 19th, 2011, 07:24 AM
When I was last in the US, I bought an extra large luggage just to lug home conditioners that I wasn't able to get a hold of locally. :rolleyes: the luggage cost more than all the hair products put together

ETA: There was also a period of time when I would bring a scissors wherever I went just so I could S&D whenever I find a strand that need to be cut. This was also during the same period of time when the government was being fairly strict about being in possession of sharp objects, but I didn't care.

Also I have lost count of the times when I would step out of the house and remember midway to my destination that I forgot to oil my hair, so I would either go back and oil my hair or make a detour and purchase a new bottle along the way.

Thank goodness I got over the OCD stage and no longer do things like that!

chahuahuas
July 19th, 2011, 07:28 AM
That got me thinking, what odd things have you given up or sacrificed solely for the sake of your hair?

:gobblecheese:

You aren't suggesting that you've given up cheese for your hair, are you? I would NEVER give up dairy for anyone or anything, especially cheese!!

LOL you probably aren't suggesting that, but it would actually kinda make sense, since sometimes LHCers talk about specific diets they go on for their hair... :p

This:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8222&pictureid=107353 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=8222&pictureid=107353)http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8222&pictureid=107354 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=8222&pictureid=107354)

I do this. Then I walk around my house and go about my nightly business. And I do it around roommates, my sister, my boyfriend... I feel like Pinhead from Hellraiser when I do it, but I get great volume!!! I explain why I do it here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=8222&pictureid=107353

(I explained to my sister why I do it, but she doesn't care, she still thinks I'm weird :p)

Neneka
July 19th, 2011, 07:48 AM
I sit here with honey and cinnamon in my hair and it's running on my face and everywhere and I am wearing a towel on my neck. Still. I am going to be like this next 4 hours. And I have to take my dog out soon. I am going to wear a scarf with some toilet paper tucked under it...

Das Siechtum
July 19th, 2011, 08:44 AM
I added a bit of mustard to my honey egg shampoo once. The result was "mustard hair".

chahuahuas
July 19th, 2011, 08:59 AM
I added a bit of mustard to my honey egg shampoo once. The result was "mustard hair".

What kind of mustard did you use? If you tried regular yellow american mustard, I can see why that wouldn't work so well. That stuff is probably sugary and processed.
Maybe instead of this:
http://img4.realsimple.com/images/food-recipes/shopping-storing/0505/frenchs-mustard_300.jpg
You could try something like this:
(not exactly that, but something similarly less processed)
http://beavertonfoods.com/store/images/deli-mustard-grated-horse-roots-g.jpg

I don't know exactly what ingredients mustards have, and I don't know why you put it in your hair to begin with, I just know that putting processed junk in your hair is probably never a good idea. Yes, I'm advocating you putting mustard in your hair AGAIN! :p

Oh and the deli mustard is a million times tastier anyway. They make the biggest difference in my sandwiches, an even bigger difference than the meat. Just a little bit of fancy mustard and sandwiches taste almost gourmet to me. So I swear it's worth it to buy, since you can use it anyway! And if you find they're too spicy, try mixing them with honey to make honey mustard (My favorite! :D) Or spreading a tiny bit with mayo to lighten the taste a bit.

ETA: Just kidding! You're from Germany! I bet you eat tasty non-american mustard all the time! haha. Maybe you should ignore this whole post...

Das Siechtum
July 19th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Hahaha. :-)

I used mustard because I read in the german long hair community messageboard, that its good for the hair. Maybe I screwed up the dosage.

I use alverde (SLS & cone free) shampoo and conditioner since 2 years.

http://www.dm-drogeriemarkt.de/cms/servlet/segment/de_homepage/alverde_home/alverde_produkte/produkte_haarpflegeundstyling/produkte_dekorativekosmetik_shampoo/4554/alverde_sensitivshampoo_birke_salbei.html

http://www.dm-drogeriemarkt.de/cms/servlet/segment/de_homepage/alverde_home/alverde_produkte/produkte_haarpflegeundstyling/produkte_dekorativekosmetik_spuelung/4930/alverde_sensitivspuelung_birke_salbei.html

Ingredients (shampoo)
Aqua, Sodium Coco-Sulfate, Glycerin, Coco-Glucoside, Sodium PCA, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Lactate, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Betula Alba Leaf Extract*, Salvia Officinalis Water*, Lavandula Hybrida Oil*, Disodium Cocoyl Glutamate, Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate, Glyceryl Oleate, Xanthan Gum, Alcohol*, Parfum**, Linalool**, Limonene**
* ingredients from certified organic agriculture
** natural essential oils

Ingredients (conditioner)
Aqua, Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Alcohol*, Simmondsia Chinensis Oil*, Acetum*, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Cocos Nucifera Oil*, Sodium Lactate, Coco Glucoside, Polyglyceryl-2-Caprate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sodium Cetearyl Sulfate, Arginine, Betula Alba Extract*, Salvia Officinalis Water*, Lavandula Hybrida Oil*, Lysolecithin, Xanthan Gum, Tocopherol, Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Parfum**, Linalool**, Limonene**
* ingredients from certified organic agriculture
**natural essential oils

Islandgrrl
July 19th, 2011, 09:58 AM
I once made a henna rinse by mixing up a batch of henna and then adding a LOT of hot water. I strained the whole thing through several layers of cheesecloth so I just had a little pitcher mostly clear henna liquid. It was hot, so I stuck the little pitcher in the fridge and went to go do something else. While I was in the other room, my DS came in from outside. Next thing I hear is, "Mooooooooom....what kind of TEA is this? It tastes DISGUSTING!" :bigeyes:

QueenJoey
July 19th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I grew catnip from seeds, not for my 3 cats, but for my own head of hair.

I did through my pantry and cupboards looking for stuff I can use on my hair. I take edible stuff all the time: honey, EVOO, baking soda, cornstarch, etc. I once used up almost all of what was left of my mom's apple cider vinegar because I wanted to try out ACV rinses.

Actually, I was on one of my "missions" today and saw vegetable oil. "Hmmm..." I read that it's only ingredient was soybean oil, looked up the benefits of soybean oil for hair, and decided to try to do something with my amazing find.

bluesnowflake
July 19th, 2011, 11:35 AM
I make decisions about whether I'll go to the pool or not based on whether it's a wash day :P

hyettf16
July 19th, 2011, 11:52 AM
My mom's baking soda, and various kinds of tea are all disappearing mysteriously. plus my dad's evoo

TheBluffs
July 19th, 2011, 11:55 AM

Exacly! I tore a muscle moutain biking, and a friend offered to come over to see me. No, you can't. Why not? Er.. well.
I couldn't tell him that I hadn't washed my hair, and it was too early to wash it. :lol:

kitschy
July 19th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Food in the bathroom. Need I say more?:shudder:

Kristamommyx3
July 19th, 2011, 12:32 PM
I buy expensive organic food with no intentions of actually eating it! Nope, only the best for my hair. :D. My sons and husband have no idea why they have such nice hair...they've been SLS free for two years! ;)

kahill
July 20th, 2011, 08:44 PM
I once made a henna rinse by mixing up a batch of henna and then adding a LOT of hot water. I strained the whole thing through several layers of cheesecloth so I just had a little pitcher mostly clear henna liquid. It was hot, so I stuck the little pitcher in the fridge and went to go do something else. While I was in the other room, my DS came in from outside. Next thing I hear is, "Mooooooooom....what kind of TEA is this? It tastes DISGUSTING!" :bigeyes:

Oh my word! I laughed so hard when I read this!!!! That's HILARIOUS! :D

rena
July 20th, 2011, 11:22 PM
I'm totally loving these posts! I wish I had a funny one of my own, but so far it doesn''t get any wierder than my current wash routine which I follow very strictly. It absolutely MUST be at night so I'll have those 5 crucial hours of sitting in front of my fan to dry my hair :\.

Lollipop
July 20th, 2011, 11:37 PM
I buy expensive organic food with no intentions of actually eating it! Nope, only the best for my hair. :D. My sons and husband have no idea why they have such nice hair...they've been SLS free for two years! ;)

Sneaky :eyebrows:! I like the way you work Kristamommy.

Sundial
July 21st, 2011, 01:42 AM

LOL!!! Oh no poor boy!!! Did you tell him what it was?? Ignorance might be bliss in this case :p I guess you'll be labeling your hair stuff from now

jacqueline101
April 21st, 2013, 03:46 PM
Buying Monistat for my scalp.