PDA

View Full Version : Disadvantages of dry shampoo

goldenbrunette
July 18th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Hello!

In the past 2 years+ I have become quite the advocate for use of dry shampoo but now would really like to wean myself off of it. Something about the quick results and the way I ruffle it into my hair have, I think, contributed to me handling my hair in a somewhat more scruffy and quick manner.

I feel that, like many a-thing, I have become accustomed to using dry shampoo and it has turned into a habit. Thus, my hair gets greasier more quickly/become dependent on usage and I develop more of a build-up. It may or may not have contributed to spots around my hairline also. I would really appreciate any opinions on why NOT to use dry shampoo. I understand that many people find it fabulous but, if anything, it is another unneccessary (that spelt right?) product that I'm wasting money on..

Madora
July 18th, 2011, 03:16 PM
I've had no experience with dry shampoo but would imagine that using a gentler shampoo would be kinder to your strands.

Your hair may be "dead" but it still needs to be babied and handled with TLC.

Roseate
July 18th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Wait, is dry shampoo your only cleaning method? That's not good. Dry shampoos are intended to be an in-between-washes kind of thing, just to refresh your hair and soak up a little oil.

Once in a while is no problem, but putting that kind of dry powder on your hair without eventually washing it out and giving your hair some moisture is not going to be good news.

aliceinmadness
July 18th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Meh. I've never found a dry shampoo that I particularly liked. Most of them are strongly scented...I hate when the perfume I'm wearing has competition. Who wants to buy a $70+ bottle of juice and then end up smelling like a hair product? I never feel like I can brush it out all the way either, and it just feels build-up-y. It might look a little better, but it doesn't really FEEL like an improvement when I run my hands through it. There's one more brand that I'm probably going to try, and if that doesn't cut it, I'll swear it off entirely no matter how enticing the tag-line.

QueenJoey
July 18th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I used my homemade dry shampoo yesterday. And this morning it looked like I had dandruff. It was soo gross to run my hands through it, and was very dry. After I washed, my hair is actually even more greasy than it was before I used the junk! I'm very irritated right now... :rant:

goldenbrunette
July 18th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Roseate.. I wash my hair with shampoo and conditioner evry 2-3 days also. It just tends to look better, less flat and less greasy with dry shampoo. My hair is kinda fine :/

I guess if you take too many short cuts, you're gona get cut short.

Mairéad
July 18th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Dry shampoo is too full of undesirable chemicals for my liking. I've never used it. My hair is on the fine side and I felt like I had to wash it every day or it felt so gross. But, after finding the right wash method my hair/scalp chemistry is happier and it sometimes takes a week for my hair to feel dirty.

AlexiaBlue
July 18th, 2011, 04:32 PM
To try and stretch out my washes as much as possible, I sprinkle a bit of baby powder between my hands, rub my hands together, and then and (gently) rub it into my scalp to absorb the oily/greasy look between washes. I have lighter-colored hair though, and on darker hair, it would probably look "dandruffy".

Anyway -- this isn't the *best* method though, and my hair still gets the greasy look mid-day, but I use this whenever I'm in a pinch, and it works OK for me. :)

suzycue
July 22nd, 2011, 09:14 AM
I have bought it to try and stretch shampoos and regretted it immediately! I find this stuff does nothing good at all - it actually makes my hair worse! Staticy, fly away and just as dirty looking if not worse!