PDA

View Full Version : Horse Shampoo

Tennessee Rose
July 18th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Hi everybody!

My mum came today and told me not to laugh before showing me a thing she bought.

I saw a horse on the bottle and at first I thought there was an ex-horse in there...until I realized (clever me) that it was shampoo for horse hair.

It has biotin and urea (urea is fantastic to repair skin but I don't know how can it help hair).

Has anyone tryed horse shampoo ever? What can you tell me about it? (Even if you haven't tried)

QueenJoey
July 18th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Not shampoo, but I do have both conditioners (Mane 'n Tail and Mega-tek). Horse conditioners are almost a staple here at LHC, it seems. Some you may have to dilute a bit, because keep in mind they're created for big animals, not human heads. They're a great source of protein, though, and make my hair feel very moisturized and healthy.

vanillabones
July 18th, 2011, 03:02 PM
I've always been a little scared to try but am curious and would like to hear more about how people like it.

MissHair
July 18th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Interesting... I must try this! Where can I buy horse shampoo from, local petstore or some place where they keep horses?

RitaCeleste
July 18th, 2011, 03:21 PM
I found the Main and Tail shampoo to be pretty gentle on my hair. My daughter loves the conditioner as a leave in. She loves anything with protein for her hair. It helps smooth her hair and reduce tangles. Plus her hair is fragile so the less snapping she hears the better. When I grew my hair out natural I always used Main & Tail as a leave in, it made my waves look really full and hold up better.

Cainwen
July 18th, 2011, 03:24 PM
You can get it from places like amazon, in normal and gigantic sizes (I've used their hand creme for years, though I've always been too chicken to try their hair stuff. Though, considering what its done for my nails, I should probably give it a try...)

QueenJoey
July 18th, 2011, 03:27 PM
BTW, for people wondering where to get it. Mane 'n Tail can be found in the most random places: beauty supply stores, Asian markets, grocery stores (anywhere BUT the hair care section it seems). I got mine at my local Sally's Beauty Supply, but I've seen it in all the above listed places.

Mega-tek, I've only found in my own local horse supply store. I had been seeing it on Amazon for some time, though.

1953Diygal
July 18th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Ah, Mane and Tail......

That harkens me back to the early '90s when my friend Christie told me that it made your hair grow faster. I didn't get those kinds of results but it was a good protein conditioner for the price.
In the "olden days" (lol), you could only get it in pet stores, but now, it's available in the people-hair section of most drugstores.

Just so you know, though....lots and lots of hair products contain biotin and probably urea, too.

Toiréasa
July 18th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Walmat carries mane & tail shampoo and condish it's in the same section as people shampoo.

paintedhorse
August 22nd, 2011, 06:01 AM
iv used mane and tail before and loved it i wasn’t trying to grow my hair then but i think i will go back to it

oh also if you cant seem to find it go to walmart if they dont have it will all the humane shampoo and conditioner its in the pet section

Curly Hermione
August 22nd, 2011, 06:10 AM
I've been on here for ages and never realised mane and tail was a horse conditioner! I always remember in the meg cabot book All American Girl, the main character doesn't really bother with her hair, but her sister does, so when she ends up meeting the president (long story) her sister forces her to use her own shampoo and horse conditioner. Does anybody know where to get them in the uk?

kmoc123
August 22nd, 2011, 07:48 AM
I have used Mane n Tail...I love the shampoo and the condish!! It seems to brighten my hair color a bit, too....I really want to use the Mega Tek condish, but it sells for $30 a bottle here...eek....

pixi_stix
August 22nd, 2011, 08:55 AM
I've been on here for ages and never realised mane and tail was a horse conditioner! I always remember in the meg cabot book All American Girl, the main character doesn't really bother with her hair, but her sister does, so when she ends up meeting the president (long story) her sister forces her to use her own shampoo and horse conditioner. Does anybody know where to get them in the uk?

Google mane n tail. There are a fair few links for it. I get mine from ebay or amazon.

A friend from the US kept raving about this horse shampoo she used and how well it helped her hair grow. She sent me a large bottle. That was 10 years ago and I haven't found another shampoo that my hair loves this much. I have tried all types of shampoos over this past decade, but I always go back to Mane n tail.

SoulOfTheSea
August 22nd, 2011, 02:49 PM
As much as I wanted it to work, horse shampoo just did not work for me. It dried out my hair terribly, and the conditioner was just too thin and runny for my thick hair... Not a pleasant experience. Perhaps it was the protein? I haven't done much experimenting with protein... nor have I really cared to try, but from reading these posts I'm guessing it's full of protein, thus my hair maybe doesn't like protein?

Shany
August 22nd, 2011, 03:26 PM
I'm not in the UK, but I found their products in the hairdye section of the drugstore I work at, not in the haircare section.

1hunky5monkeys
August 22nd, 2011, 03:58 PM
Is the conditioner cone free?

Joribear
August 22nd, 2011, 04:50 PM
As much as I wanted it to work, horse shampoo just did not work for me. It dried out my hair terribly, and the conditioner was just too thin and runny for my thick hair... Not a pleasant experience. Perhaps it was the protein? I haven't done much experimenting with protein... nor have I really cared to try, but from reading these posts I'm guessing it's full of protein, thus my hair maybe doesn't like protein?
I remember using the S&C back in high school and I loved it. I bought a big bottle of it about two months ago to use with CO-washing and my hair hated it! My hair got dried out like straw! I stuck it in my boys' shower and neither one of them like it, either!

Is the conditioner cone free?
Yep, the conditioner is cone free.

1hunky5monkeys
August 22nd, 2011, 04:53 PM
I remember using the S&C back in high school and I loved it. I bought a big bottle of it about two months ago to use with CO-washing and my hair hated it! My hair got dried out like straw! I stuck it in my boys' shower and neither one of them like it, either!

Thanks! :) My hair loves protein so I may give it a try if I get bored with everything I already have. ;)

angelfell
August 22nd, 2011, 04:56 PM
I bought Mane-N-Tail and wasn't impressed over the feel it left in my hair.. my hair felt dry. However, my hair is a pain in the butt, and likes few things over than Garnier Fructis.. so that's probably why :p. I found it at Sally's Beauty Supply, anyhow.

MindBeforeMouth
August 22nd, 2011, 05:04 PM
I've seen it at Sallys beauty supply before. I remember trying it awhile ago and liking it alot :).

Cowgirl16
August 22nd, 2011, 05:14 PM
I have found Mane and Tail in the Pet section at Wal-mart; also in the hair care isle. I use the Conditioner and the detangler on my hair :D

irishlady
August 22nd, 2011, 06:37 PM
I like it. Bought some Mane n Tail shampoo and condish when I was in the States. I think it can be a bit heavy though, and I can't use it everytime because it's drying, but otherwise it's nice, no different to any other type of shampoo or conditioner in my opinion.

archel
August 22nd, 2011, 07:19 PM
Ain't nothing wrong with using horse shampoo and conditioner, my mother used to use Bag Balm as a skin moisturizer and it was udderly fabulous. :-P

missoj
August 23rd, 2011, 12:57 AM
I use horse shampoo, not Mane & Tail but Equestrine or something like that. Helps prevent breakage, not shedding. Gives the appearance that your hair is growing faster because its not breaking off, so it wont help if you have little to no breakage. I use it 1 every or 2 weeks with my normal shampoo, cause it makes my hair dry. Also I use more conditioner then. One bottle lasts me over a year.

racrane
August 23rd, 2011, 06:18 PM
My 10 year old cousin (who also loves horses and owns a pony, by the way :) ) uses the mane and tail stuff. Her hair is so lovely. I used a little bit 3 years ago and it was damaging for me. Ah well, my hair loves VO5 which is cheap so it works out in the end. :) I'm glad it works for some people

curly girl fla
August 23rd, 2011, 06:37 PM
I used many of the Mega Tek products, and they worked wonders for me. They cost alot, but are concentrated. My hair does love protein, though. Another really excellent conditioner, and much cheaper, too, is Cowboy Magic Demineralizer Conditioner (http://www.amazon.com/COWBOY-MAGIC-Demineralizer-Horse-Conditioner/dp/B002L0NMC0). I have hard water, and this worked amazingly well. I don't know why I stopped using it.

gthlvrmx
August 23rd, 2011, 07:03 PM

That's funny, my Deep Moisturizing conditioner has Dimethicone. Maybe it's a different formula between the normal conditioner and the deep moisturizer?

Annibelle
August 23rd, 2011, 08:21 PM
I thought about getting it before, but the bottle I read had cones. :(

Joribear
August 23rd, 2011, 08:47 PM
That's funny, my Deep Moisturizing conditioner has Dimethicone. Maybe it's a different formula between the normal conditioner and the deep moisturizer?

I thought about getting it before, but the bottle I read had cones. :(

Here's the ingredient list I found over at Wal-Mart (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mane-n-Tail-Moisturizer-Texturizer-Conditioner-32-fl-oz/10293244):

Water, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Lactate, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Stearoyl Alcohol, Emulsifying Wax Nf, Cetyl Alcohol, Coconut Oil, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Vegetable Oil, Fragrance, Hydrolyzed Protein, Lanolin, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Fd&C Yellow 5.

Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine is the only one that I had to actually pause and look-up to double check its cone/no-cone status (the stupid Dime prefix is like a highlighter for me now!). Am I showing my ditziness and completely missing a cone somewhere in there?

Annibelle
August 23rd, 2011, 09:39 PM
Here's the ingredient list I found over at Wal-Mart (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mane-n-Tail-Moisturizer-Texturizer-Conditioner-32-fl-oz/10293244):

Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine is the only one that I had to actually pause and look-up to double check its cone/no-cone status (the stupid Dime prefix is like a highlighter for me now!). Am I showing my ditziness and completely missing a cone somewhere in there?

I don't think you're missing anything in there-- but the bottle I read in person at Rite-Aid had dimethicone as one of the first ingredients. :( Maybe it was the deep moisturizer??? I dunno...

virgo75
August 23rd, 2011, 10:10 PM
I don't think you're missing anything in there-- but the bottle I read in person at Rite-Aid had dimethicone as one of the first ingredients. :( Maybe it was the deep moisturizer??? I dunno...

Yes, the Deep Moisturizing one has cones, the original one in the BIG bottles don't.

I like Mane n' Tail shampoo & conditioner but can't use it consistanly because I get protein overload from it. I have to alternate with other more moisturizing products.

CaityBear
August 23rd, 2011, 11:15 PM
I got a Mane n Tail conditioner from Sally's Beauty Supply but haven't used it yet...

gthlvrmx
August 23rd, 2011, 11:39 PM
Well i suppose i need to buy the original one and use my cone one on the dogs..or swap with someone!! :D

stacyyyy1972
August 23rd, 2011, 11:47 PM
oh yes mane n tail has been around for awhile now and actually works very well. I used to love it when I had permed my hair and it would be very dry. I have no oils in my hair and so the only moisture it gets is what I give it. But you can purchase it at walmart even.

jojo
September 29th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Just used this today and I have to say my hair doesn't feel coated at all but very soft. Whether it will have an impact on my growth rate time will tell. But 10/10 for me.

sisi33
September 29th, 2011, 10:03 AM
I really want to use the Mega Tek condish, but it sells for $30 a bottle here...eek....
I would got to a tack shop, and see if they have any trial sized little bottles. Most of the time they do, and it's a great way to try it out! Also, they're free :eyebrows:

AnnaJamila
September 29th, 2011, 10:05 AM
I like them but if you get protien buildup easily this isn't the best brand. I'll use it occasionally after coloring or using the curling iron but after one or two washes it stops being all shiny and soft.

swearnsue
September 29th, 2011, 10:51 AM
I like the conditioner and buy it at the feed store. The Family Dollar Store carries it and so does online drugstore stores. It smells good, its thick, and is really good to use as needed, for me about once a week. I used it last night in my henna gloss and it helped make my hair very shiny and strong feeling.

Silver Strands
September 29th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I first bought Mane n Tail for my dogs 2 summers ago. They were itchy and one was losing hair on his back.
It stopped the itch the first time I used it and within a very short time all his hair grew back.
He's never lost it since and they rarely scratch.
I don't put flea spots on my dogs as I hate the toxic-ness of them and my dogs are old, so it's not a flea spot keeping their skin itch-free.

Now onto the human use:
I cut DH's hair about 3-4 months ago and noticed he was getting pretty thin on top. (He also had been itchy, maybe from dandruff? IDK)
I reminded him of the dog's hair growing back and he figured he didn't have anything to lose.
He's been using it since then and the last time I cut his hair ( about 2 weeks ago), I notice that it's not as thin anymore. It seems to be filling back in.
So, is it from the Mane n Tail or the fact that he's not using S&C that have whatever in them...
I don't know, but he's happy so i'm sold.

I use them myself and they work very well.
Sometimes I water them down or add another conditioner after I use them.
I have also used the conditioner for a CO wash. Works great.
You can also oil for an hour or so before using for good results.
I get very shiny, almost frizz free hair. I have more shine and less frizz with these than if I use silicone S&C's.

Oh and Cowboy Magic- I love them too.
They smell great and have mostly herbals in them. Love the demineralizing. It's like having a citric acid rinse mixed into a conditioner.
The reason I don't buy them often is because unlike Mane n Tail which you can find many places, I have only found the Cowboy Magic at Tack Stores which I don't normally frequent, so therefore I forget about them.

I have found many people on here don't like the horse products so i'm glad to see some of you do.
For the record- I'm using the Original Mane n Tail. It contains coconut oil. No silicones.
And I buy it at Wal-Mart in the pet section. But the label says for human or animal.
Thanks for reading my book.

Now back to lurking mode........

jojo
September 29th, 2011, 01:02 PM
^^ yes its the original one I have and can't go wrong with coconut oil in it

clarinette
September 30th, 2011, 06:22 AM
Wait, Mane 'n tail is for HORSES?? i though it was just a funny way of advertizing it, you know, the horse on it....My mother sent the conditionner to me last winter and i loved it, it smells so good.....Lol!! keep in mind i'm french and slightly dumb :D

redmj
September 30th, 2011, 06:42 AM
I used to use Main 'N Tail all the time. I loved the way my hair felt and how it smelled. Don't know about the growth benifits though because I didn't care then.

Friesian Rider
September 30th, 2011, 07:14 AM
I have used Mane and Tail shampoo and conditioner. I HATE IT! Makes my hair frizzy and crispy! It is terrible on my horses too. Something waxy i it. Of course since I own a few horses I have to try all their products :rolleyes:. But most of it is too heavy / waxy for my hair. If you compare your hair to a horses you can see why. There is a huge difference for me since my hair is fine.
http://www.sullivanwebdesign.com/LHC/sig.jpg

jojo
October 30th, 2011, 07:07 AM
update- I have been using this for exactly one month. I don't use it every wash but every other. I cut 4" off my hair last month to get rid of thin ends and was 28.5", I now measure 30.5" I do normally get a growth spurt around this time of year so maybe this is normal for me but I do think the protein in the T&M has helped strengthen my hair, so although not a growth aid it helps (with me) strengthen hair and thus retain any hair ive grown.

In terms of my hairs health, it looks shiny, no split ends and feels soft.

Strange because on my virgin hair it dried it out and made it straw like, now my hair is box dyed it much prefers it. So on chemical hair it does in my opinion and experience make it stronger.

Avaya
October 30th, 2011, 09:19 AM
update- I have been using this for exactly one month. I don't use it every wash but every other. I cut 4" off my hair last month to get rid of thin ends and was 28.5", I now measure 30.5" I do normally get a growth spurt around this time of year so maybe this is normal for me but I do think the protein in the T&M has helped strengthen my hair, so although not a growth aid it helps (with me) strengthen hair and thus retain any hair ive grown.

In terms of my hairs health, it looks shiny, no split ends and feels soft.

Strange because on my virgin hair it dried it out and made it straw like, now my hair is box dyed it much prefers it. So on chemical hair it does in my opinion and experience make it stronger.

I noticed Mane 'n Tail worked on my previously dyed hair also but on my virgin hair it doesn't work very good. I wonder why that is? Maybe box dyed hair needs more protein? :confused:

Amber_Maiden
October 30th, 2011, 09:42 AM
I've used horse shampoo off and on for years. Can't say my hair was better with it, but I did like it... But not enough to stick with it.

MaryRose
October 30th, 2011, 09:45 AM
I have been using Mane n Tail for the last 7 months and I love it. I went to the salon and the hair dresser commented on how healthy my hair was. My daughter also uses it and it made her hair feel like straw. It just depends on the person. She is 10yrs old and her hair prefers cones.

Babyfine
October 30th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I use the conditioner only just from the ears down in rotation, every other wash. It does a great job with detangling. I'm thinking of getting the deep moisturizing shampoo. My hair loves it but I'm both fine and color-treated so my hair most likely needs the protein.
My theory is that there are some hair types(virgin,stronger) that don't need as much protein so the proteins in M and T build up very quickly making hair dry and crunchy.

jacqueline101
October 30th, 2011, 11:48 AM
I am using that myself and love it. Its great and I think it could make hair grow faster due to the protein and the way it strengthens the hair.

miss legs
October 30th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Hi I mixed it with another shampoo, because it can leave your hair hard(proteien).Make sure you got a very mosturizing conditioner.I had an aunt who went through chemo and lost all her hair,but with this shampoo it grew back in no time.

blondie9912
October 30th, 2011, 02:15 PM
I noticed Mane 'n Tail worked on my previously dyed hair also but on my virgin hair it doesn't work very good. I wonder why that is? Maybe box dyed hair needs more protein? :confused:

Funny that you say that, because my hair is highlighted/dyed and Mane n Tail just overloads my hair with protein. My hair is crispy and breaking off everywhere when I use it.

However my little sister, who has completely virgin hair, is totally fine with M&T. Strange :confused:

KwaveT
October 30th, 2011, 09:16 PM
I would have thought about using these products at one point but with my thick hair I think protein overload would happen sooner rather than latter. I would try anything to make hair be able to grow faster.

pinupdancer
November 28th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Reviving this just to say I first used this stuff well over a decade ago. My mom used to use this on my hair (I had CL/virgin hair until I was 13) and it always worked wonders for me. So after much contemplation I went and grabbed a giant bottle of the conditioner on Friday and holy moley my hair still loves this stuff. I haven't noticed any buildup yet, or drying effects. My hair is shiny and soft. Not sure if it'll speed up my growth any, but one can hope. :eek:

Johannah
November 28th, 2011, 12:50 PM
I've heard such thing is a good shampoo, but that's all I know.

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 28th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Shampoo dried my hair out when I used it a few years ago, but I dont and have never used the condish.

Ava666
November 29th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Any tack store would carry it :) i've seen it multiple places that you wouldn't think would carry anything for horse, i think i may have seen some at albertsons and safeway, i could be wrong though. if you can't find it in any stores, you could go to just about any horse website (horsesupply.com, jeffers.com, doversaddlery.com, etc. etc. just type into google horse supply.) I've always liked the conditioner, and it does wonders to a guinea pig's coat :)

long&blonde
November 29th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Mane & tail shampoo & conditioner:giant bottle;buy one get one frr,CVS drugstore,people shampoo aisle. They are on my shower shelf now. I've used both for years,results no different than any other product you don't hate. Haven't tried as a leave in.