PDA

View Full Version : feeling down today...

duckhugger
July 18th, 2011, 02:28 PM
I am feeling down today. :( It is related to my hair unfortunately. I hate that but that is just the way it is. When I cut it off last summer I was so excited and happy to have change. I just never realized all the negative effects it would have on my life. Since I cut my hair off, I have lost all my confidence. Not that I had much to begin with, but at least it was something. I think the biggest part of this is that I just don't feel pretty anymore. I feel manly in a sense. It doesn't help when I get mistaken for a guy at work on a weekly basis, and people make comments about how I look like like a replica of my brother.

People keep telling my I look better with short hair. But I just don't FEEL better. That to me is far more important than how I look. This is where I was at last summer before I chopped it all off.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w2/wilkieme/hair%20photos/35356_10150228774945294_535550293_13563679_4932464 _n.jpg
I hope to be there again by next summer.

Artsy
July 18th, 2011, 02:34 PM
You can always change up your wardrobe a bit, you don't have to buy a whole bunch, just a few girly pieces, even accessories. If you are wearing fun earings/clip-ons, noone is going to take you for a guy.
Cheer up

Joliebaby
July 18th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Hugs! You will be there next summer. I know how you feel..

I just cut my waist length hair and though it's a feminine bob and I don't feel manly, I really miss my long hair as it felt so special compared to this.. And what I find SO annoying is when someone tells me NOW "oh your hair was so pretty and thick and long, why did you cut it???".
It's like a slap in the face, Like, why didn't you ever give me a word of compliment UNTIL I don't have it anymore??

Anyway.. we are in luck that IT WILL GROW BACK. (And then I will have pretty long thick hair again and she can be jealous and not give me compliments all she wants LOL!)

We will have long hair next summer, just hang in there!

buttercupmcgee
July 18th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I know how you feel--I went from BSL to chin, and after the newness wore off, my self image took a definite hit.

This is not what you want to hear, I know but...you are beautiful and I think your eyes look huge and feminine in your avatar.

Chalk it up to a life lesson, keep a list of emotions you're feeling now, that you can refer to later.....so you don't chop. And maybe treat yourself to some clip in extensions once you pass the mullet of doom phase. You'll be there sooner than you think!

Hugs to you-

Amara
July 18th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Oh dear. I experienced the same thing when I was young - I got my hair in a pixie and I just felt awful about it for like a year. That's very hard to deal with.

I feel for you... ((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))
I hope you will recover quickly and you're maybe just having a down period - those can last a while and sometimes they latch onto whatever's nearest. Can you:

buy dangly earrings?
dye some/all of your hair a funky temp color?
Get some sparkly barrettes?
Get a couple new, flirty shirts?
Change up makeup routine? (I don't wear makeup usually, but sometimes if I'm having a bad day, a bright eye shadow makes me feel fun - not so much girly as just fun...)
Spike up that short 'do and go punky for day?
Make a list of things that make you feel pretty and DO THEM!

Anje
July 18th, 2011, 02:48 PM
For what it's worth, you've got a very feminine face. And you look seriously cute even with short hair in your avatar. I'm guessing that the folks who mistake you for a guy are seeing you from behind and are stupid enough not to notice curves?

Hang in there and go do something fun. We all have down days and insecure days.

Wearing some fun dangly earrings might help clue people in who haven't seen your face yet. They're also good when your hair is longer if you want to soften up a slicked-back updo.

ETA: I don't know if you're having any of the hot weather that we are down here, but if you are, enjoy the fact that it's off your neck with no effort on your part. It's 32C here today with a heat index of 39C.

duckhugger
July 18th, 2011, 03:06 PM
thanks for all the comments :) It definitely is helping cheer me up. I actually have been wearing dangly earrings for the last week now, and so far it seems to be doing the trick. I think the other thing I am going to do is get some contacts. My eyes look really squinty with glasses and I think that contacts would make me feel more feminine. Changing up my wardrobe won't help much because I work full time and I am stuck wearing a baggy uniform. However next fall I will start school again and I won't be stuck wearing the same thing day in and out.

Thank you all so much for the replies. It really helps to have some support when you need it :)

newbeginning
July 18th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I think your short hair suits you but I can understand you missing your hair.

goldenbrunette
July 18th, 2011, 03:15 PM
I understand what you mean about 'feeling' a certain way. There is much that could be said about it, probably which has been said before. But I assure you, if you make sure to eat all the foods that are good or you, your mood will be lifted and in turn, har will flourish in no time!

georgia_peach
July 18th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Hang in there! I am also growing out a pixie and totally understand your feelings. The dangly earrings and accessories will help you feel more feminine. Just keep hanging out here at the LHC and your hair will be longer before you know it. :)