PDA

View Full Version : To those who think about thinning their hair out

GabrielleRose
July 18th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Don't do it!!! Lol, seriously don't. Y'all have absolutely GORGEOUS hair. I made the mistake of thinning out my hair twice. The first time, the guy did it really nice. Didn't thin it out too much, but the second time he went crazy with the shears and my hair was so thin, and limp. I want to cry just thinking about it, and ever since then my hair hasn't really gone back to its original thickness. I don't think it ever will :( So, if you're considering it please think long and hard about it.

ange1ito
July 18th, 2011, 02:45 PM
I agree with you I don't like it thinned. To avoid the weight with thick hair I think layers are better. I had mine thinned a few time's and now 4 yrs on I had to chop all the ends up because they looked so miserable. I have vowed to never do it again.

SoulOfTheSea
July 18th, 2011, 11:29 PM
I agree, do not do it! Last time I got a salon hair cut (2 years ago :D ) the stylist thinned out the back of my hair to "get rid of poofiness." What ended up happening is that my hairs were thin so they BROKE, and this caused more frizz and poofiness! Ugh, never again!!!!

whitestiletto
July 18th, 2011, 11:37 PM
What is thinning the hair? How does this work?

McFearless
July 18th, 2011, 11:41 PM
I'm not really a fan of thinning. It makes my hair tangle as the hairs grow back. I already have shorter hairs because of new growth, but with the added thinning it becomes too much. It also looks like a mullet when the hairs are a few inches long. I think it might work for some who like added volume at the crown, but also have thick enough hair that it doesn't cause thinning.

Roseate
July 19th, 2011, 12:40 AM
What is thinning the hair? How does this work?

There are different ways to do it, either with scissors or a razor or special thinning shears, but the idea is that some hairs are cut off much shorter than the rest, to give the illusion of thinner hair.

They usually do it on the underlayers and try to blend it in so it's not obvious. But eventually, especially with wavy/curly hair, those shorter hairs start poking out and you look awfully bushy. I've had it done in the past, sometimes the lighter feeling is nice at first but the growout is a royal PITA. Fuzz city.

Fortunately for you, as a i/ii probably no-one will ever attack your head like that! Hairdressers are always dying to do it to me.

MoonlightShadow
July 19th, 2011, 12:44 AM
wow...im glad ur telling me this now because i was really thinking about thinning my hair...i thought it would be alot easier to deal with and i wouldn't have any more trouble, but i guess i should just learn to deal with it.

Mesmerise
July 19th, 2011, 01:11 AM
Uck... I imagine it'd be much like my hair is now (due to hair loss not hairdressers though!!) which is soo frizzy and annoying as the shorter hairs grow in... and stringy at the ends :rolleyes:.

The good thing is that it WILL thicken up again, as it can't possibly do anything to change the hair follicles or the number of hairs growing! It will just take time to grow out.

Celtic Morla
July 19th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I dont recommend thinning because you are cutting a lot of length off the hair it isn't really making the hair thinner it is cutting! I groom dogs and on some I do thin the coat to mak eit less bulky but I have seen some overthnning and it is terrible it tends to shred the hair if the thinners are not super sharp!

Oldfashioned
July 19th, 2011, 10:38 AM
I had my hair thinned once and was trying to grow it out at the same time... worst idea EVER! Do not recommend it. Pictures of my hair at the time are embarrassing and that was before I joined TLHC.

MsBubbles
July 19th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Unfortunately over the years I've had several hair stylists believe that putting layers into my fine, straight hair would 'give it some body' or make it appear more voluminous somehow. All it did was make it look even thinner! Useless.

Celtic Morla
July 19th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Unfortunately over the years I've had several hair stylists believe that putting layers into my fine, straight hair would 'give it some body' or make it appear more voluminous somehow. All it did was make it look even thinner! Useless.

This i sso opposite of what it does! we use thinning shears on dogs to remove bulk and get the hair to lay flat, also to "blend" uneveness in the coat(think Sheltie neck mane)

GabrielleRose
July 29th, 2011, 01:05 AM

I have heard some say that, but yes I agree it makes it thinner and is useless! I am sorry the hair stylists have horrible beliefs.

BlazingHeart
July 29th, 2011, 01:10 AM
I've had it done to me once.

My hair went POOF. The weight of my hair helps keep it lying nicely. I have a rather extreme amount of it, so keeping it lying nicely is a necessity. Thinned out, there was less to weigh it down, so the now-shorter strands suddenly decided to take up a lot more room. Disasterous cut; I ended up chopping out very short get rid of the worst of it.

GabrielleRose
July 29th, 2011, 01:12 AM
I've had it done to me once.

My hair went POOF. The weight of my hair helps keep it lying nicely. I have a rather extreme amount of it, so keeping it lying nicely is a necessity. Thinned out, there was less to weigh it down, so the now-shorter strands suddenly decided to take up a lot more room. Disasterous cut; I ended up chopping out very short get rid of the worst of it.

That really stinks, I'm sorry! What's your current length?

TheCaityCat
July 29th, 2011, 01:17 AM
My hair's been thinned out every time I got my hair cut for the last few years. It's thick and wavy so apparently there's too much of it for my former short style to work. It was part of the reason I had to get my hair cut so often - as soon as those shortened hairs got longer I looked shaggy!

So I echo everyone else in this thread who says "DON'T DO IT!"

UltraBella
July 29th, 2011, 02:23 AM
My hair is layered and then thinned with a razor. I love it. It takes away some of the bulk and it has a nicer shape.
Thinning, when done correctly, is great for some people.

aliceinmadness
July 29th, 2011, 06:19 AM
My hair has gone through different wavy/straight phases, so for a long time I treated my hair as if it were straight...long, choppy scissor layers do nice things for it, but I have sworn off the razor crack. I made hubby swear it off too. He has really thick, quite coarse hair and a fairly round face, and every time they touch him with a trimmer thing like he's in the military looking for a buzz cut, he looks like an electrocuted poodle after a week (shakes head). It really irritates me how hairstylists have a tendency to treat everyone's hair as the same.

Joribear
July 29th, 2011, 06:21 AM
My hair is layered and then thinned with a razor. I love it. It takes away some of the bulk and it has a nicer shape.

THIS. I have had my hair thinned every time I went to my hairdresser for 10 years. It was a necessity. My hair would get so thick it broke combs and brushes. That used to be my clue it was time for a trim - whenever I broke another comb or brush.

If you don't trust your hairdresser, don't get your hair thinned; but it can be done with beautiful results, even while growing out your hair!

share801
July 29th, 2011, 12:50 PM
[/quote]Fortunately for you, as a i/ii probably no-one will ever attack your head like that! [/quote]

I wish!! In my younger days I found many who did not know what to do with the waves and thought thinning would be the answer. Um, no, it isn't.

GabrielleRose
July 29th, 2011, 01:29 PM
I agree with you I don't like it thinned. To avoid the weight with thick hair I think layers are better. I had mine thinned a few time's and now 4 yrs on I had to chop all the ends up because they looked so miserable. I have vowed to never do it again.

Wow, I'm sorry it made your ends look horrible. :( Honestly I don't like layers on myself, but when I see someone with thick hair get them they look absolutely beautiful on them.

I agree, do not do it! Last time I got a salon hair cut (2 years ago :D ) the stylist thinned out the back of my hair to "get rid of poofiness." What ended up happening is that my hairs were thin so they BROKE, and this caused more frizz and poofiness! Ugh, never again!!!!

They go scissor crazy I tell you!

I'm not really a fan of thinning. It makes my hair tangle as the hairs grow back. I already have shorter hairs because of new growth, but with the added thinning it becomes too much. It also looks like a mullet when the hairs are a few inches long. I think it might work for some who like added volume at the crown, but also have thick enough hair that it doesn't cause thinning.

I think you are absolutely right!

wow...im glad ur telling me this now because i was really thinking about thinning my hair...i thought it would be alot easier to deal with and i wouldn't have any more trouble, but i guess i should just learn to deal with it.

If you do decide to do it make sure the darn stylist won't go crazy on you! Have you tried layers maybe instead?

Uck... I imagine it'd be much like my hair is now (due to hair loss not hairdressers though!!) which is soo frizzy and annoying as the shorter hairs grow in... and stringy at the ends :rolleyes:.

The good thing is that it WILL thicken up again, as it can't possibly do anything to change the hair follicles or the number of hairs growing! It will just take time to grow out.

How can you thicken the ends?

My hair has gone through different wavy/straight phases, so for a long time I treated my hair as if it were straight...long, choppy scissor layers do nice things for it, but I have sworn off the razor crack. I made hubby swear it off too. He has really thick, quite coarse hair and a fairly round face, and every time they touch him with a trimmer thing like he's in the military looking for a buzz cut, he looks like an electrocuted poodle after a week (shakes head). It really irritates me how hairstylists have a tendency to treat everyone's hair as the same.

I know, I can't stand how they think! I mean, don't they go to school to actually learn about all the hair types or is it over the years they just don't care?

Well, I'm glad it worked wonders for you. :)

MissManda
July 29th, 2011, 01:58 PM
My old hairstylist used to really thin my hair out, but it didn't do anything for my hair except make it look way thinner. :( I don't mind layers on shorter hair on me, but I don't think they suit my hair type when it's long and they're a pain to grow out. I believe there are hairtypes that may need and look great when the hair is thinned properly, but my fine, straightish hair is not one of them.

AnqeIicDemise
July 29th, 2011, 02:02 PM
How can you thicken the ends?

Regular trims (or microtrims) to get rid of the thinned layers and let the bits that were thinned catch up. Its essentially the same process you'd have to deal with when trying to grow out layers.

I mean, essentially thinned out hair and layered hair are one and the same -- some hair is shorter, others longer for a flowing, lighter effect on the overall canopy. The difference is that the thinned sections are mixed in with the longer shafts because only half the bulk of the hair snipped.

Its such a pain to grow out. It can take years. I'm growing out the last bit of thinned hair from a haircut from 4 years ago.

Mairéad
July 29th, 2011, 02:10 PM
I don't even have thick hair but when I was a child I don't think my mom was prepared to girl with TB length hair (she could never get past shoulder) so she thinned my already not terribly thick hair out. Those were awful child hood photos. Ick. Haha.

GabrielleRose
July 29th, 2011, 04:01 PM
My old hairstylist used to really thin my hair out, but it didn't do anything for my hair except make it look way thinner. :( I don't mind layers on shorter hair on me, but I don't think they suit my hair type when it's long and they're a pain to grow out. I believe there are hairtypes that may need and look great when the hair is thinned properly, but my fine, straightish hair is not one of them.

That is exactly how I feel!

Regular trims (or microtrims) to get rid of the thinned layers and let the bits that were thinned catch up. Its essentially the same process you'd have to deal with when trying to grow out layers.

I mean, essentially thinned out hair and layered hair are one and the same -- some hair is shorter, others longer for a flowing, lighter effect on the overall canopy. The difference is that the thinned sections are mixed in with the longer shafts because only half the bulk of the hair snipped.

Its such a pain to grow out. It can take years. I'm growing out the last bit of thinned hair from a haircut from 4 years ago.

Oh, I get it now lol! I don't want to trim because I want to grow my hair longer and I'm afraid to lose length, but I'll think about it.

I don't even have thick hair but when I was a child I don't think my mom was prepared to girl with TB length hair (she could never get past shoulder) so she thinned my already not terribly thick hair out. Those were awful child hood photos. Ick. Haha.

Aw, I'm sorry! My mom couldn't deal with my thick hair when I was little so she would always chop it off. >:/