PDA

View Full Version : Unique style

Sunsailing
July 18th, 2011, 10:25 AM
I ran across this picture. I don't think I've seen any style quite like it (but what do I know?) Thought I'd share.

http://applediet.net.ms/img/health/hairstyle/v/472.jpg

I like it :)

twilight_faerie
July 18th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Wow, I don't know if it's been done before, but it's really pretty.

RitaCeleste
July 18th, 2011, 10:29 AM
My daughter loves it! Since I can't braid to save my life, I do too. I could actually do her hair like that way, she has fine thin hair. Not sure how mine would turn out but it would look great on her.

Sewas
July 18th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Very feminine and pretty. What is holding the strands together? Elastic? They look like little rings in the photo.

twilight_faerie
July 18th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Very feminine and pretty. What is holding the strands together? Elastic? They look like little rings in the photo.

I think they're those tiny silicone elastics you can find in the drugstore.

CarpeDM
July 18th, 2011, 10:48 AM
I think they're those tiny silicone elastics you can find in the drugstore.

I've seen those elastics before and have always wondered if they are damaging to your hair??

Lollipop
July 18th, 2011, 10:49 AM
This reminds me of a cage braid :)

twilight_faerie
July 18th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I've seen those elastics before and have always wondered if they are damaging to your hair??

I haven't used them myself (though I'd like to), but I've heard from others that they're great for braid ends, so I assume they aren't damaging.

CarpeDM
July 18th, 2011, 10:52 AM
I haven't used them myself (though I'd like to), but I've heard from others that they're great for braid ends, so I assume they aren't damaging.

I have some clear ones, but I've always been afraid to use them, I love the brown ones even better!

Madora
July 18th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Yes, its cage "braiding". Looks cute! Thanks for sharing!

Honestwitness
July 18th, 2011, 10:54 AM
I can't use those silicone elastics. They are very damaging to my fine, fragile hair. That is a very pretty style, though.

Spacescape
July 18th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Ooh, pretty! Now I want to try that with my hair...

They are damaging if you remove them by sliding them off your hair over the end of the braid/ponytail; when I use them, I take a tiny pair of embroidery scissors and carefully cut them off whenever possible. (They come in large packages for fairly cheap, at least where I get them.) I like to use them to secure the ends of braids that I'm going to work into a different hairstyle (like a bun) because they don't add very much bulk to the braid and hold well. It's the good hold, though, that makes them damaging if you slide them off your hair.

Arianoor
July 18th, 2011, 10:58 AM
I tried this a few years ago. It looked great for about 10 minutes, then the little bands slid out. My hair is very fine and slick, I think this would look and work amazing on coarser hair.

Sundial
July 18th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I can't use those silicone elastics. They are very damaging to my fine, fragile hair. That is a very pretty style, though.

Actually, thin pieces of wire can work as an alternative. Then you won't have to worry about damaging fine hair. At the end of the day, you can just untwist the metal wire and slip it off.

If you really want to go a step further at being hair-friendly, I guess you could use silk ribbons or thread but that might not work for slippery hair. You can just snip it off or pull it out.

Alaia
July 18th, 2011, 11:31 AM
I love cage braids and their variations.

I'm itching to try it myself I just haven't gotten around to it. Torrin has this beautiful one up that was inspired by Game of Thrones. But now that I have gone looking for it, it's gone. :lol:

MasCat
July 18th, 2011, 11:54 AM
I buy elastics for horses - they come in big packages, are silicone thingies like braid-elastics, but are much softer, and can stretch out more before breaking.

IndigoAsh
July 18th, 2011, 12:02 PM
I love this hairstyle! I use those little elastics quite a bit, no problems for me. Need to be gentle and take your time taking them out though, but that goes for anything you put in your hair. I'm wearing them in right now, they don't leave a pinch where they've been in contact with my hair either.

SoulOfTheSea
July 18th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I am going to try that! It's so elegant and pretty :)

chahuahuas
July 18th, 2011, 02:02 PM

I use those little elastics quite a bit, no problems for me. Need to be gentle and take your time taking them out though, but that goes for anything you put in your hair. I'm wearing them in right now, they don't leave a pinch where they've been in contact with my hair either.

I agree with this exactly. I think if you put them in carefully, there is no reason they should damage your hair. You can take them out intact & reuse them, as long as you do this carefully as well. Sometimes they still get stuck, despite my careful handling. In that case, I just cut them. I think they're easier to put in & take out of straight hair, since they get stuck in my hair sometimes when it curls around the elastic.

October
July 18th, 2011, 02:17 PM
That is really cute. :) Too bad I don't have any elastics right now.

Phiona
July 18th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Very pretty and elegant!!

CarpeDM
July 18th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Ooh, pretty! Now I want to try that with my hair...

They are damaging if you remove them by sliding them off your hair over the end of the braid/ponytail; when I use them, I take a tiny pair of embroidery scissors and carefully cut them off whenever possible. (They come in large packages for fairly cheap, at least where I get them.) I like to use them to secure the ends of braids that I'm going to work into a different hairstyle (like a bun) because they don't add very much bulk to the braid and hold well. It's the good hold, though, that makes them damaging if you slide them off your hair.

Cutting them off is an awesome idea, I had never thought about doing that.

islandboo
July 18th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I have pretty good luck with itty bitty claw clips in place of the silicon elastics.

Toiréasa
July 18th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Very pretty!

skraprchik
July 18th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Here's the link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD5wmzFNtdg) to Torrin's video of the caged ponytail. Very pretty, but I'd never get the elastics out of my curly hair. I have to be very careful of even the larger elastic bands.

PrincessBob
July 18th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks skraprchik! wow, that's awesome, I want to do it on my spouse's hair.

jujube
July 18th, 2011, 08:33 PM
It's elegant and actually looks simple. (I can't braid to save my life.)

Sheltie_Momma
July 20th, 2011, 11:29 AM
I have pretty good luck with itty bitty claw clips in place of the silicon elastics.

This is a great idea, I never buy the tiny ones but for this purpose they would be ideal. I tried the tiny elastics and I literally cried when I saw the damage to DD3's hair and threw them in the trash.

akka naeda
July 20th, 2011, 11:34 AM
I've done that using tiny clips rather than elastics on DD.
http://www.ajfashionjewellery.co.uk/rionach-silver-crystal-hair-clip-p-3068.html

this style of fastening.

And using larger clips on myself.

faithsdaisy421
July 20th, 2011, 12:00 PM
I buy elastics for horses - they come in big packages, are silicone thingies like braid-elastics, but are much softer, and can stretch out more before breaking.
What a wonderful idea! Thanks! :cheer:

Torrin Paige
July 20th, 2011, 07:45 PM
I like the little clear silicone elastics, but I only get one use out of them. When my hair is mostly straight, they just slide right out, but when it's super wavey, I err on the side of caution and cut them out. They seem to be a lot less damaging than the ones I was using prior (the goody ouchless kind that are fabric covered)...at least my ends think so. I like them because they're practically invisible and are conducive to hiding when you're using braids in an up-do.

I'm glad you gals like the cage braid! :)

bettylibertine
July 21st, 2011, 05:31 AM
That's awesome! Totally trying it :D

littlenvy
July 21st, 2011, 07:07 AM
I love it! My fine hair will love it too. But I can't do elastics. I think I will try those little little butterfly clips; they may work well and look pretty too.

HuggyBear
July 21st, 2011, 08:34 PM
Here is my first attempt (Thanks Torrin!):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6070&pictureid=108444

Sorry it's a bit blurry. My son is still figuring out how to work my camera. :)

Vani1902
July 21st, 2011, 08:37 PM
I want to try it but I am afraid that the little elastics will wreak havoc with my hair. I have super curly hair and anything tangles in it. :/

HuggyBear
July 21st, 2011, 08:45 PM
Sometimes, they will get stuck in my hair if I try to pull them out. I try not to wrap them too tight and I cut them out if they don't want to come out easily.