PDA

View Full Version : Fine Hair & Drandruff....Help!

BeautifulBlonde
July 18th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Morning Ladies,

I happened to find my camera so I'll post a picture of my hair down so you can see what I'm talking about when I mean fine.

Anyway, I'm wanting to know of any others that have fine hair and a dandruff problem (did you know there are 3 different types?) and what you use to keep it under control.

I want a shampoo that doesn't have sulfates or cones in it if I can help it.

Please Share!!!

Thank you!

B.B.

Saeth
July 18th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I use the shampoo from Handmade Naturals which is based in the UK. This has no sulfs and also has coconut oil and AVC in it. Also, since switching to a shower filter, I've found my scalp and skin to be so much better. Personally I would try to find out what is causing your dandruff, for me it was hard water, harsh shampoo and also over cleansing :)

Arianoor
July 18th, 2011, 11:08 AM
I have very fine, but thick hair and get dandruff in the fall almost every year. Last time around, I used a rosemary and vinegar rinse, that worked great. However, it can darken your hair slightly if you are a blonde. I did this pre-LHC, so if someone else knows that it is bad for you hair, please chime in!

Firefly
July 18th, 2011, 11:32 AM
I used to get flakes all the time... they were especially bad in winter. Since going to CO washes, the problem has completely disappeared. I had no idea my scalp disliked shampoo!

BeautifulBlonde
July 18th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Thank you ladies. Please keep the suggestions coming. I used an acv & catnip rinse for a while last year and it seemed to help.

Basically, from what I've read (so far) most dandruff is caused by over active fungal things (everyone has them don't freak out).

The other is Excema (I think this one might be me do the face i'll get red and irriiated along my hair line and eyebrows)

and the final one is due to medication. I'll keep reading and looking..also does anyone know how to put a sig into my posts? I haven't found it yet....well where it goes at least.

Dina L.
July 18th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Hi!

My dandruff was gone when I switched to ACV rinse. And some months ago I started to use evvo and castor oil mix as a scalp massage before washing, it also helps the scalp not to dry out. Castor oil is fungicide, too. And for eczema: shea butter. I swear on it. :) (Though I have eczema on my hands and not on my face/hairline.)

You can have a sig only after 25 comments.

BeautifulBlonde
July 18th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Ty Dina!

Oh, please see pic to your left for both hair color, length, & thickness.

Anje
July 18th, 2011, 02:56 PM
You can also just get flakes from dry skin (I think the lack of nasty irritatedness would keep it from being eczema). CO washing is often great for the dry-scalp crowd. Mixing some brown sugar into condish for an occasional scalp scrub is also useful if your scalp requires a bit of exfoliation.

Definitely try the dilute vinegar rinses again. They seem to cure a wide variety of scalp ills.

pelicano
July 18th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Sounds like seborrheic dermatitis to me, which is what I have. The reason I say this is because you've said you get it around your hairline and on your eyebrows.

whitestiletto
July 18th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Hi, I think you can't put a sig in until you have 25 posts.

I have seborrheic dermatitis and STRONG ACV rinses and CO (conditioner only, no shampoo) helped me a lot, but the thing that finally kicked it was henna/cassia. You could try just cassia without dye releasing it. Cassia is yellow and fades over a few weeks. If you're interested, read the articles about cassia or post here and somoene can give you advice. My seb. derm. comes back mildly about a couple weeks after my henna/cassia, but is completely gone for a while before it returns. Since using these herbs I can only remember how itchy and flaky my scalp was, like pieces falling off it and bleeding. Gross. Anyway, personally I recommend cassia. It's also conditioning and good for the hair.

BeautifulBlonde
July 18th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Ty ladies!

*hugs*

I think I'll give an actual scalp scrub a try because (as icky as it sounds) feels like it's just a major build up of...stuff? Not to mention it would help break whatever it is loose. I know when I first started prednisone back in Feb (they had me doing 30 mg twice a day) and my dandruff seemed to clear up rapidly. Now that I'm down to 5mg my body is probably gearing back up to "normal" I just need to find what rinse I used...Oh, and I have jo-jo oil as well.

I"m trying to treat my hair as gently as possible while it grows back *crosses fingers it does*