PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Long AND Layered?

Angel_Abby
July 18th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Having recently chopped my past APL length hair to chin, with layers, I have to say my face looks GREAT with layers. Now that I am going to be growing out from scratch I just wondered if anyone layered their BSL and beyond hair?

I have red highlights that I may or may not have reapplied, but I love the shaping around my face. I want to grow it back long and have had good results layering up to about shoulder length. I have never experienced layered hair any longer than that.

Any insight would be great! :)

TheMechaGinger
July 18th, 2011, 09:56 AM
When my hair was a couple inches past bsl I had it layered and while it looked okay down (most days) updos were a nightmare. All of my braids tapered into little frayed things and all my buns looked the same, chunks of hair sticking out everywhere in all directions. That's why I cut my hair pack to apl to get rid of them all. So not trying to discourage you at all, that was just my experience with it

Angel_Abby
July 18th, 2011, 09:59 AM
I appreciate it. Thats what I am after- any pro's or con's to the layers. I LOVE to braid, so that is definitely something I need to consider.

Thanks!

Elysium
July 18th, 2011, 10:06 AM
I'm currently sneaking up on BSL. I'm growing out from a buzz cut so I have all different length hair, rather than actual layers though.
While I'm a ii/iii, my hair tapers down to nothing, braids are thin and perpetually messy looking. Updos won't stay very well and bits always escape, that might be down to my own incompetence though :p
That said, I do like the look of layers when down. Not trying to discourage you either :D

Viechen
July 18th, 2011, 10:13 AM
I am glad you like your new haircut :D

I am a little past BSL and I looove my layers! My layers are spaced pretty far apart with my shortest being about APL and the longest 2 inches past BSL... I find braids easy if I use some coconut oil on the braid to keep the fuzzies in. Updos take a little creativity but if I twist the hair in a certain way, I barely get any bits hanging out. A hairpin or two will take care of anything that may wiggle loose during the day. Let me know if you want to see some close ups of my hair up and down, in case that may help you...

Lollipop
July 18th, 2011, 10:13 AM
A few tips for braids and layers:
a) you can add a little aloe/oil to keep the layers in place
b) try twisting the individual sections as you braid
c) there was somthing else but I can't remember :o

As far as layers go, I know Ultrabela had hip-length hair that is now at BSL, and she had layers at both lengths.

I'm not much help since my layers are close together in length (like 3-4 in between shortest and longest piece), and my hair is not long, but while braids can get annoying, I have no problem with buns

Signe
July 18th, 2011, 10:27 AM
My hair is about an inch or two above waist and for the most part, unlayered. In front, however, I recently cut some face framing layers that soften my look dramatically and look good when I have my hair up or down. The trick is to cut ONLY the hair that you could stand to leave OUT of an updo, so like an inch or less from your hairline, if that makes any sense.
Here are pics to show you what I mean:

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/9403/photo13lf.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/269/photo13lf.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/6273/photo16e.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/24/photo16e.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)
The shortest layers are just above where my fingers are, more or less.
I would show you what it is like down, but I have my hair in a Dutch braid at the moment and don't want to take it out. Also, the dutch braid is holding up a few more tiny pieces of the longer layers.
I haven't noticed that this has adversely effected my braids or updos in their construction because I prefer to leave the short bits out, so whatever is up is mostly all one length anyway. Despite being a truly tiny amount of hair, the difference it makes is quite dramatic, IMO, whether it is down or up. Also, if you decide it is not enough for you, you can always cut more.

I hope this helps, sorry the photos couldn't have been better/ more precise.

Angel_Abby
July 18th, 2011, 10:28 AM
. Let me know if you want to see some close ups of my hair up and down, in case that may help you...
That would be great! Please post some! :)

A few tips for braids and layers:
a) you can add a little aloe/oil to keep the layers in place

Thats great news! I already use aloe in my hair(LOVE!) and have a ton of coconut oil.... it takes so little to do anything hairwise- that one container last eons!

LisaMonster
July 18th, 2011, 10:28 AM
I'm at not-quite waist, and I love my layers. I'm planning to get them re-done in about a month. For me, personally, they give my hair more shape and movement when I am wearing it down. They also make it a lot less heavy.

Angel_Abby
July 18th, 2011, 10:29 AM
My hair is about an inch or two above waist and for the most part, unlayered. In front, however, I recently cut some face framing layers that soften my look dramatically and look good when I have my hair up or down. The trick is to cut ONLY the hair that you could stand to leave OUT of an updo, so like an inch or less from your hairline, if that makes any sense.
Here are pics to show you what I mean:

[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/269/photo13lf.jpg/)

Uploaded with [URL="http://imageshack.us"]ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/24/photo16e.jpg/)
The shortest layers are just above where my fingers are, more or less.
I would show you what it is like down, but I have my hair in a Dutch braid at the moment and don't want to take it out. Also, the dutch braid is holding up a few more tiny pieces of the longer layers.
I haven't noticed that this has adversely effected my braids or updos in their construction because I prefer to leave the short bits out, so whatever is up is mostly all one length anyway. Despite being a truly tiny amount of hair, the difference it makes is quite dramatic, IMO, whether it is down or up. Also, if you decide it is not enough for you, you can always cut more.

I hope this helps, sorry the photos couldn't have been better/ more precise.
Thanks! That gives me a pretty good idea.:)

1nuitblanche
July 18th, 2011, 11:04 AM
My hair is a few inches past hip and has layers for the bottom 6" and ii but not particularly thick in general. It looks pretty good now. When it was first getting long, the longest layers were really thin, so it didn't look very nice down. After a couple years of trimming and re-growing between this length and BSL, it's gotten thicker there, to the point where it looks healthy up or down. When I make a braid, I usually leave the tassle a little long if I'm going out. If it's for sleeping, I braid right to the end to protect as much as possible. In buns, the layers never give me a problem - and I think it's cute if a couple stick out.

Silverdragn7385
July 18th, 2011, 11:07 AM
I have hip-length hair with long layers that are a few inches past BSL (I wanted them right AT BSL, but I forgot to tell my stylist last time to trim them shorter than the length). I love 'em...they really help my hair feel lighter and go into updos easier without all the weight. The layers do poke out of braids though, but I'm not fond of braids on me so I don't mind...I just braid it when I go to bed. :P

QueenJoey
July 18th, 2011, 11:09 AM
I'm at mid back with layers.

pros:
hair is lighter
hair is bouncier
gives me a style
great for faux bobs

cons:
strands can't protect each other as well, so I get more split ends (and the splits come up to my chin)
make updos a hassle
stick out of braids (and I'm a braid fanatic, myself)

krissykins
July 18th, 2011, 11:13 AM
I'm at waist length with layers and I love it! Actually, I want more layers! MORE!

I think that the pros and cons have been stated, but I'd like to say that the pros outweigh the cons for me. I just love the way my hair looks when it's down :D

Cainwen
July 18th, 2011, 11:13 AM
I have hair just longer than BSL and the shortest layer is an inch or so below SL, with it being fairly smoothly layered in between. The only problems I have is when I have it in braids at night, wisps come out easily (probably because I toss and turn alot though :p)

Other than that annoyance, I love my layers. This is the only long hair cut I've ever had that looks as good down as it does up. My hair is fairly thick and curly/wavy, so the layers help prevent a lot of poofing.

kitschy
July 18th, 2011, 11:14 AM
yes and yes

JuliaDancer
July 18th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Until I reached hip, I always had layers, because I wore my hair down a lot. Now, I've got a V cut with face framing layers. It's nice having the layers to soften my face when I do updos. I love braids, and layers do make them have a lot of pokey-outey pieces, but I would always just re-braid when they start looking too messy. I think layers look great when hair is down, and as long as you don't mind have slightly messy looking updos, you'll be ok. Just use bobby pins! =)

dulce
July 18th, 2011, 11:38 AM
MechanicGinger said what 1 was going to say!

feb26
July 18th, 2011, 12:34 PM
I'm BSL, fine, and layered. I mostly have layers on the left side of face, going down to chin or just past with soft, light layers in back. I don't find it's an issue for braids at all. With buns,yes, I do get a crazy uptail look at times, but a bit of gel or a baby claw will make it neat & tidy. I love my layers :crush:

finzi
July 18th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Interesting to read the posts here, as I've been toying with the idea of cutting a very slight layer into my hair, so that the top layer will only be maybe one to two inches shorter than the rest. Wondered if it would give a bit of interest to my hair without giving too much of a taper. My hair isn't very thick so hate the idea of losing too much! On the other hand, I wonder if this would end up looking weird. Ugh. No idea!

aliceinmadness
July 18th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I have a (semi) scene-hair cut...if you type "scene hair" into google images you'll get the idea about how it's cut, although mine is tamer, more polished, and I don't make it ridiculously floofy by teasing. My longer pieces are also not quite as thin.

Because it's not cut with a razor and rather choppy, I actually don't have a problem putting it up. I do Victorian (see my avatar) and retro 1950's styles, and the cut will cooperate with anything I want to do to it, up to and including braids. I'm not a huge fan of neatly styled buns, so I can't really comment on that - but my Gibson Girl turns out fine.

Other than that it will take smooth waves, curls, textured-straight, and sleek straight...honestly I could wax poetic about the awesomeness of this cut for a while, so I'll call that a day, lol.

chahuahuas
July 18th, 2011, 03:02 PM
I nearly hip length hair (when stretched, its more of waist when curly), and I looove my layers. I like that I have shorter bits in front, so it frames my face, and it's nice and long in the back. Plus the layers make it so my hair doesn't look flat and weighed-down. My buns look a little messy, but I prefer it that way. I think tight, perfect buns look too conservative for my style (and a tad boring...)

newbeginning
July 18th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I have approaching waist length hair with long layers (and growing out bangs). I like the way the layers make it seem more like my hair is styled when I don't really do anything to it. I also like the way it brings out my waves.

bettylibertine
July 18th, 2011, 04:37 PM
My hair is at the top end of hip length and my shortest layer comes to about bsl. I love my layers! Although it can get a little bit frustrating with braids, it feels a lot lighter and looks really nice down. :)

Olivia23
July 18th, 2011, 08:17 PM
I have a pic in my album of my hair all one length. I hated it because my hair was so heavy it pulled out any waves I had. From the back it may have looked good but from the front it just made me look older. Now my siggy pic is me with layers and much happier because I have more curl, it's lighter, and when I wear it down it looks a lot better than all one length.

The cons of length is of course updos, but at the same time I like messy buns. Also like someone else said you get more splits due to different lengths. I have to be very careful combing my hair and S&D is a nightmare, but I plan on keeping my layers.

IndigoAsh
July 18th, 2011, 09:00 PM
My hair is mid-butt, or so, and layered. I'm growing them out and only trimming the bottom two layers to keep all the splits from getting to gnarly. I have to say, I kind of like my layers the way they are, but am too much of a wuss to get the layers trimmed. Last time I did it it cost me 4 inches of growth!!

kidari
July 18th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I love my layers and I will always have them. One length just doesn't suit me. My hair is BSL and is my own version of scene hair but more polished just like aliceinmadness posted. I maintain the layers myself, trimming and shaping them every month but I never trim my ends- all the portion of long hair from the ears down unless I'm really due for a trim. It gives me movement and shape. For me personally my layers help me with my updos I like to do. I don't think I could ever successfully pull off an updo with braids or with hairsticks but that's more than okay with me. Hair clamps, hair ties, pins etc have always been great and now I just discovered ficarres. I'm experimenting with a fake-karre and plan on purchasing my first real one soon!

Oh I forgot to add that the reason why I love having layers is that now that it's past the awkward stage I love wearing it down. It really makes it look styled when it's down with having to do much to it.

Arya
July 18th, 2011, 09:30 PM
My hair is nearly hip length, layers at the back at BSL, layers at the front/sides at APL and face framing layers (they were blunt bangs I grew out). I love them! I look really unpolished without them.

Nephele
July 18th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Mine is only at APL at the moment, but the shorter bits are above my ears. I am unsure if I should cut my hair back to the shortest lengths when it is down to my waist, or just leave it layered.

When my hair was at its longest (BSL) it was all one length and was not as flattering as it looked weighed down.

Glad to see that there are people out there who have layers and appreciate them, it is definitely food for thought :)

McFearless
July 18th, 2011, 11:49 PM
I'm at waist with layers. I hate them. I have to have my hair in an updo everyday so I'd prefere if I didn't have any right now. I should mention that I did love how they looked when my hair was down. Now they are a grown out an uneven.

Well cut layers look amazing when the hair is styled, but don't do much in updos. Horribly cut layers can make a person afraid of them for life.

UltraBella
July 19th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Layers !!!!! Layers, layers, layers !!!!!!! Oh how I love them.
There are pics in my hair album of my layers at BSL, mid back length, waist length, and hip length.

Seeshami
July 19th, 2011, 12:10 AM
I have three inches or so of layers on the bottom of my hair. I grew out from pixie so some of it is from that. I also had it trimmed and re-shaped at one point in time.

chahuahuas
July 19th, 2011, 06:09 AM
My hair is mid-butt, or so, and layered. I'm growing them out and only trimming the bottom two layers to keep all the splits from getting to gnarly. I have to say, I kind of like my layers the way they are, but am too much of a wuss to get the layers trimmed. Last time I did it it cost me 4 inches of growth!!

Awww, that's sad! Don't be afraid! You should get some references from friends for some excellent stylists in your area.

Also, I think it's possible to be VERY, possibly even overly, clear with your stylist about what you want. I think if you say "I want it this length, *no* shorter," then the chance of them taking off too much length is pretty low! (and maybe shoot a couple daggers with your eyes when you say *no*, the kind that suggest that you WILL take that hair fork and stab them with it if they chop off too much ;))

LunaMoon
July 19th, 2011, 02:36 PM
As you can see in my sig pic, I have layers as well. I love them!

finzi
July 19th, 2011, 03:20 PM
I think I'd have more confidence about trying layers if it weren't for the fact that my hair is both curly and thin. I saw some of UltraBella's pics and was gobsmacked by the sheer volume of hair that lady has! So jealous. Hair envy is a familiar feeling to me :blush: If I had enough hair I would go back to layers in a second. I love the shape and interest they give to long hair.

wooliswonderful
August 28th, 2011, 11:34 AM
I got layers last spring and some days love them, some days hate them.

gthlvrmx
August 28th, 2011, 12:27 PM
I have them and i hate them, it makes self trimming so bad and complicated....but it takes a while to grow it all to the same length so I'm not up for it and just getting my trims randomly when it needs them. Probably when i reach knee or something i'll trim to get a more blunt cut.
But im barely at MBL! Give me maybe 2-3 more years maybe.

But layered hair in curls and waves do look very pretty. :)