PDA

View Full Version : Don't drag me down...

Tangles
June 24th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Okay. I know many of you will say I'm being silly, but I really feel like my hair (when I wore it past BSL) dragged my face down. I'm very young, so I shouldn't even be worrying about this, but here I am!

I have a pretty oval shaped face, but it is more like a long oval, and for whatever reason, I have the tendency to be "tired" looking, though I'm extremely healthy. To be very honest, my face is best flattered with hair between APL and BSL.

When I had waist length hair a couple years ago, I looked good--don't get me wrong--but I didn't seem to style my hair right for my face, and it sort of just "hung there." When I look at photographs from this time, and "cut off" 8 inches of hair with my hand, my face does look brighter, less dragged down, more oval.

That said, I *do* intend to grow to waist -- I'm currently well on my way to APL. Planning ahead, though, I'm just curious what those of you with thinner or longer faces do to avoid looking dragged down when you wear your hair down. I'm currently experimenting with root lift techniques and this seems to help some, although, too much root lift makes my face look longer.

Edit: I realize a lot of models etc. with long hair have lots of layers and waves to minimize this effect, but I prefer straighter, unlayered hair.

Riot Crrl
June 24th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Well I have a fat oval that also looks crap with nothing around it... but I believe the solution may be the same. Get a few face framing layers.

shellblue1
June 24th, 2008, 10:02 PM
I have a long oval face too. I have found that fringe and layers around my face helps a lot! I also have naturally curly hair so that helps offset the longness of my face too, so you might add some curl/wave to your hair if you don't have it already. If you aren't opposed to hair coloring or highlighting, highlights strategically placed around the face might help too.

Nat242
June 24th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Face framing layers or long, sideswept bangs might work - I find half-ups also "lift" my face.

HTH!

-- Natalie

Masara
June 24th, 2008, 11:58 PM
I have a long, thin face and fine, thin hair. This is one of the reasons I hardly ever wear my hair down.
I've found that a fringe (bangs) helps to cut the long look. But mostly, if I want the effect of hair down, then I will do a half-up. Somtimes even a tiny amount of hair taken back makes a lot of difference

Dianyla
June 25th, 2008, 12:38 AM
IMO, a negative self-image drags you down a whole lot more than all-one-length hair. :twocents:

GlennaGirl
June 25th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Hmmmmmmmmm!

Well, I'm an old bag and I have a naturally long-ish face (runs in my family), and bangs never made it look any shorter, so I decided to grow mine out and they're now down to my chin. They tuck right behind my ears and if I wear a high pony or bun, they smooth pretty well back into the rest of the hair.

And the interesting thing is...I actually like my face more without something to "shorten" it. I think I just look more elegant.

So it's up to you. But you can keep a few long-ish bangs if you want to "break up the line" of all one length hair if you want. Another thing you can do is make faux side-swept bangs simply by parting deep to one side and pinning the hair. Now you have something cutting across your forehead to try to shorten the appearance.

toodramatik
June 25th, 2008, 01:09 AM
I agree with dianyla.

The best thing you can do is get layers. Or, if you really don't want to, learn how to do your eyebrows and makeup in ways that shorten your face. =]

goldenwaves
June 25th, 2008, 03:22 AM
How about a side fringe? Or just some shorter bits around your face? I seem to have the same problem a little bit, and I have some shorter layer an inch or two past my chin to help wih this :)

Calista
June 25th, 2008, 04:11 AM
What´s wrong with a long face? And in what way does long hair make you look tired? I can´t imagine. Maybe you could post some pictures to show us?

willowcandra
June 25th, 2008, 04:15 AM
Well I have a fat oval that also looks crap with nothing around it... but I believe the solution may be the same. Get a few face framing layers.

I was going to say this.

justinekay
June 25th, 2008, 04:17 AM
I have a similar problem and wondered... does anyone have any tips on cutting face-framing layers or one or two shorter pieces around the face? Or do you recommend going to the dreaded hairdressers? ;-)

Pegasus Marsters
June 25th, 2008, 04:20 AM
This seems more like a self esteem issue than a hair issue.

Face framing layers sound like a good idea. I just took some small sections of my hair and snipped them to chin length around my face when I wanted them.

Curlsgirl
June 25th, 2008, 04:23 AM
I'm curious did you ever have someone tell you that your hair somehow dragged your face down? I'm asking because my Mom always say that. I think it used to be a popular way of thinking along with cut your hair when you get older, don't wear bangs with glasses, short hair is out when tall, long hair when short etc. Granted there might be a little truth in face shapes and hair that suits them but some of that is just "passed down myths". I do find that bangs help my face look better and that may be due partly to the longer oval face BUT for me I can't tell that my hair down makes much difference if any. I do wear halfups a lot to get my hair out of my face and when I do updos I tend to sweep them up and back instead of down and back. That just seems to "perk me up" a bit. But truthfully I like my hair all down best. If someone put that in your head, lose it is what I am saying. I know how things like that can "stick" though. Believe me! Hope you find your ideal solution! :)

FrannyG
June 25th, 2008, 05:34 AM
When I read your post, all I could think of was, "Who's been telling Tangles that her face is too long and that her hair drags her down?" It sounds so much like something you've heard someone say, and may not reflect the reality of the situation.

I've been told that I have a long face, and I've been told that I should wear shorter hair as it would "lift my face", especially since I'm a woman of a certain age.

I choose not to believe any of it. You can choose not to believe any of it too. If you like one length hair, then grow and enjoy one length hair.

You'll look beautiful, because you'll be happy with your beautiful long hair. It's simple. :flowers:

Tabitha
June 25th, 2008, 06:00 AM
I know exactly what you mean, Tangles. I see it not as a self-image problem, but as a simple optical illusion along the lines (no pun intended) of the Müller-Lyer illusion (http://amazingillusions.blogspot.com/2007/09/lyer-illusion.html).

The solution that I and my hairdresser reached was for me to keep a fringe and to have a little of the hair in front cut shorter to just below collar-bone length. It is definitely more flattering to my face when I wear my hair down, and I can still pull all the hair back into a ponytail, braid or updo when I want to.

Chromis
June 25th, 2008, 06:03 AM
I dislike layers, so my suggestion is to learn to like your face and try some new updos. If long hair drags it down so much then surely putting it up must have the opposite effect on it.

Ursula
June 25th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Once your hair is past your shoulders - so that people can't see the ends when it is down - there isn't a huge difference in how it looks from the front, when down. If just-above BSL doesn't drag your face down, waist won't drag your face down either.

One thing to bear in mind is that the longer your hair gets, the more you'll wear it up, and the more fun things you'll be able to do with it up. So it may not be the issue you think it is. Half-ups also become more useful, because it keeps your hair back, and you can do something a little puffy and Gibson-girl like with your front hair, to add width, if you like.

bex487
June 25th, 2008, 07:01 AM
I have a very thin, oval face as well-I need side bangs and frace-framing layers to look good. My hair length can be quite long, but I love my layers to "plump" my hair a bit and keep it from looking too heavy.

MsBubbles
June 25th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Well, I'm an old bag

:laugh: ok that was hilarious!

Tangles - have you been talking to my Mother? ;) It's just that some of those phrases sound eerily familiar, especially the just-hangs-there thing. I have decided to defy long, dragged-down faceness and grow it all out anyway, bangless and all. Plus now I even have frown marks, which drag my face down way more than my bangless, hanging hair ever did.

But it's your look, so maybe face framing layers would help you feel better.

Islandgrrl
June 25th, 2008, 07:11 AM
I have a "long face" as well, and really, my face was no more "dragged down" by knee length hair than with BSL hair, so I don't quite get it. If you want waist length hair, then grow waist length hair. Wear it up and away from your face if you think it's an issue. I don't know about you, but I wear my hair up all the time anyway.

rhubarbarin
June 25th, 2008, 07:25 AM
I have a long and very thin face, keeping my hair in a deep side part minimizes that (it's amazing how different I look with different partings). I also cut a face framing layer on one side, and wear it tucked behind my ear.. it covers the corner of my forehead and makes it look a little smaller.

There are plenty of ways to make your hair style and cut more flattering to your face shape. Keep the front layered to APL and you can have the best of both worlds.

Altocumulus
June 25th, 2008, 08:08 AM
I have a long face and long, unlayered (well, except for those darn last few inches!) hair. Doesn't bother me a bit!

jojo
June 25th, 2008, 08:21 AM
I have a long face and my mum hates my hair long as she says it drags my face down and makes me look like a cocker spaniel-but i like cockers!. It really doesn't bother me. Plenty of beautiful people have long faces and long hair Jerry Hall and Cher.

If it bothers you then a fringe or layers around the face will help break up the drag effect or up do's, certainly don't go for a centre part, try more a side one also will help.

Tangles
June 25th, 2008, 08:37 AM
My sister is actually the one who said that it just hung there. She only said it once but it remained in my memory LOL. She didn't mean it in a mean way she just meant it was hiding my face too much.

Maybe cutting just a tiny layered section, not under the chin but to collar bone, would help. I also do find that the cleaner my hair, the more "awake" I look for some reason, so maybe that's something else to try. I agree that no part or a slight side part are most flattering (deep side parts make my face look thinner though).

You're right--there's nothing wrong with the cocker spaniel look as long as you're happy with it. :)

Pegasus Marsters
June 25th, 2008, 08:40 AM
When I read your post, all I could think of was, "Who's been telling Tangles that her face is too long and that her hair drags her down?" It sounds so much like something you've heard someone say, and may not reflect the reality of the situation.

I've been told that I have a long face, and I've been told that I should wear shorter hair as it would "lift my face", especially since I'm a woman of a certain age.

I choose not to believe any of it. You can choose not to believe any of it too. If you like one length hair, then grow and enjoy one length hair.

You'll look beautiful, because you'll be happy with your beautiful long hair. It's simple. :flowers:
Franny, I've looked at every photo in your album and I can honestly say that you look the best with long hair. Infact you look freaking gorgeous with long hair. Ignore the nay-sayers!

My sister is actually the one who said that it just hung there. She only said it once but it remained in my memory LOL. She didn't mean it in a mean way she just meant it was hiding my face too much.

Maybe cutting just a tiny layered section, not under the chin but to collar bone, would help. I also do find that the cleaner my hair, the more "awake" I look for some reason, so maybe on the day when my sister criticized my hair, it was just greasy (?)

I'm sure your sis didn't mean to upset you... it was probably an off the cuff comment. She didn't say it dragged you down, just that it was hiding your face. Why don't you try wearing it back/up more?

jojo
June 25th, 2008, 09:03 AM

Maybe cutting just a tiny layered section, not under the chin but to collar bone, would help. I also do find that the cleaner my hair, the more "awake" I look for some reason, so maybe that's something else to try. I agree that no part or a slight side part are most flattering (deep side parts make my face look thinner though).

You're right--there's nothing wrong with the cocker spaniel look as long as you're happy with it. :)

I only last night cut my fringe which was past chin to chin length, to blend it in more than anything. I just held my hair at an angle and cut. It looks quite effective and less block now, will post some pictures when my camera has charged but at least if people are looking at my long face, their not looking at my big bum!:puppy: I love the cocker spaniel look its kind of cute!

Periwinkle
June 25th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I feel like that sometimes: long hair doesn't so much drag my hair down as swamps it so that my face gets kind of lost. Wearing it down also takes about three years off my age, which might be great when I'm 40, but I'm a teen at the moment, so I have a different opinion ;)

However, I look about my age when I have it back, and I look quite a bit older in updos, and since I wear my hair down always, it doesn't really bother me much.

paper
June 25th, 2008, 09:28 AM
This is interesting. My mom always hated when I had long hair. She always said my face was too long for it.

Now that my hair is getting past my shoulders, I've started thinking about this again. I do wear bangs, I think that helps.

I have a question, what is the best kind of bangs to wear for a long oval face?

jojo
June 25th, 2008, 10:37 AM
I think any bangs/fringe looks good but a side fringe looks more classy and is more versatile in my opinion, well done by the way in creating your first up do paper!

az_sweetie01
June 25th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I have a long and very thin face, keeping my hair in a deep side part minimizes that (it's amazing how different I look with different partings). I also cut a face framing layer on one side, and wear it tucked behind my ear.. it covers the corner of my forehead and makes it look a little smaller.

There are plenty of ways to make your hair style and cut more flattering to your face shape. Keep the front layered to APL and you can have the best of both worlds.

I can vouch for the deep side part. :) I also have that "long, thin face" and this helps things.

FrannyG
June 25th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Franny, I've looked at every photo in your album and I can honestly say that you look the best with long hair. Infact you look freaking gorgeous with long hair. Ignore the nay-sayers!

Aww Pegs, thank you sweetie. :o You're very kind. :flowers:

paper
June 26th, 2008, 06:10 AM
I think any bangs/fringe looks good but a side fringe looks more classy and is more versatile in my opinion, well done by the way in creating your first up do paper!

Thanks Jojo :) I have side bangs now. I'm getting my hair trimmed next week and was debating to keep them or get regular bangs.

harpgal
June 26th, 2008, 09:11 AM
The best length to wear with a long face?

Any length you will be happy with. A long face (think Liv Tyler) can be very elegant and beautiful. Learn to recognize the negative stuff Tangles, and simply dump it. And please learn to enjoy the way you look because it is unique and special.

Deborah
June 26th, 2008, 12:40 PM
I think you might like your look better if you keep all your hair OFF your face, especially if your face is small and swamped by your hair. If you don't like half-ups, maybe you could pull the sides back and hold them with barrettes or side combs. Or maybe you could try wearing some pretty headbands. Any of these can emphasize the cheek bones in a pretty way, making the face appear to have more shape than if the sides are somewhat covered by either hanging hair or bangs/layers.

This is also something you can try without making any permanent changes. Just try out some combs or barrettes or headbands. If you don't like the look, your hair is still the same, and you will have lost nothing. I just know that an awful lot of longhairs are plagued by bangs and layers that they are trying to grow out. That is why I suggest not reaching for the scissors any too soon.

Just another perspective. :flower:

goodenough
June 26th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I got photos done last month--and thought my mid-back length hair looked all over the place. Since my face-framing layer (old bangs) had grown to well past chin, I cut them into real bangs. I'm super happy with them, and feel like I have a real style now. It took a little getting used to, but a few months and they can be side bangs if I want.

Just wanted to throw out that option--I get tons of compliments, and my boss says it makes the rest of my hair even longer. I'm still happy with my new look a month later, and my damaged ends on the rest of my hair aren't bothering me as much--I think I'll be able to handle them till my planned trim this fall. My mom didn't have much nice to say about my old style or my new style, I'll won't continue the chain by quoting her here--but really--what is it about moms?

I should note that my hair is extremely thick, and that the loss of any volume actually makes my life easier. Medium and thin hairs may want to think twice, since growing them out is a pain. Cutting my bangs to eyebrow length was an easy decision for me, since I always plan on having some hair chin length or shorter. You'll want to really think about whether you want to loose thickness, and how fast your hair grows.

Tangles
June 26th, 2008, 04:40 PM
My hair is too cowlicky and wavy for full bangs--and I think I do have a nice forehead, so I like to show it. I guess a subtle face frame could help

blue_nant
June 26th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Face framing layers or long, sideswept bangs might work - I find half-ups also "lift" my face.

-- Natalie

I have an oval face, and I keep the hair in a half-up, but at the very least, swept back from my face in barrettes. A'course now I'm in an eternal braid, which works.