PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use products designed for afrohair?

MissHair
July 18th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Does anybody here use products specifically designed for afrohair? I've got a local afrohair-shop nearby that sell all kinds of ointments, creams, oils, balms, shampoos for afrohair. Can I use them for my hairtype aswell? They smell so good and if they work on afro they must work on mine, Im sure? Just curious of what kind of results I might get. Just looking to get moisture.

Maelyssa
July 18th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Well my kiddos are mixed race & have thick, curly hair. In the past I've purchased some products market for 'afrohair' to use on their hair & did end up using it on myself as well. BUT what you have to watch out for is that most products marketed for that hair type have a ton of mineral oil & stuff in them which really isn't good for any hair type.
I used to order from Carol's Daughter online & share their products. Haven't ordered anything from them for a while because they're pricy.

I'm sure there's some great products out there but watch out for the mineral oil. Out of all the oils that one is the least beneficial for hair.

Good luck!

IndigoAsh
July 18th, 2011, 12:31 PM
I've been thinking the same thing for myself, my hair and skin loves the oils! I tend to be extremely dry all the time and have to oil my skin and hair 2-3 times a day!!!I haven't yet tried it, as the above stated these products tend to run pretty pricey BUT I want to try this store's products eventually: http://www.etsy.com/shop/ChristineGant

Dina L.
July 18th, 2011, 12:33 PM
If I weren't in love with my EVOO+castor oil mix, I would definitely try shea butter massaged into my scalp. :)

Roseate
July 18th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Sure! I love my local African-American beauty supply store! My hair is coarse and dry, so the type of oily, moisturising products marketed for AA hair also work well for me.

I like cholesterol treatments, and have tried a couple different brands; the ones from Lustrasilk are great on my hair. The store I go to also has a nice selection of oils and butters at reasonable prices, that's where I got my shea butter.

I agree with Maelyssa about the mineral oil, also be on the lookout for "petrolatum", basically the same thing. Just like anywhere, read the ingredients first!

RitaCeleste
July 18th, 2011, 12:44 PM
I kinda do. I order Trader Joe's Nourish Spa and Aubrey Organic's Honeysuckle Rose and Vatika Coconut oil from Lakshmi's Cupboard online. My daughter is getting deep treatment with KeraCare's Humecto as we speak. Plus I buy Aphogee 2 Minute Keratin Reconstructor at the local beauty supply geared towards black hair. My daughter also likes Main & Tail.

Idjit
July 18th, 2011, 12:57 PM
I always go to the 'ethnic' section in stores searching for hair products. I hate that it's always so far away from the rest of the hair products. Plus, if I ask for help the sales people rarely understand what I'm looking for since I hardly look the part.

In my opinion, if it's good, it's good. Doesn't matter who you are.

1953Diygal
July 18th, 2011, 12:58 PM
There are two AA (that's African-American, not Alcoholics Anonymous....although that would be good too! ;):D ) beauty supply stores in Vegas that I totally LOVE! When I had more discretionary income, I would wander the aisles shopping for oils, conditioners, etc.

I frequently use the Shea Moisture line (http://www.walgreens.com/search/results.jsp?Ntt=shea+moisture&x=9&y=10)which can be found in the ethnic hair section of Walgreens. Target carries it as well. They make great shea deep treatments, shea-based shampoos, and a great anti-frizz coconut based spray. I cannot say enough good things about that line! I hope Walgreens carries it for a very very long time.

Spring
July 18th, 2011, 01:00 PM
This is interesting how different things work for different people. Many years ago, I had to give up products marketed towards afro textured hair because they didn't work as well for me... plain ole simple olive oil has been better for my hair than most commercial products sold for afro textured hair. They left my hair feeling dry while 'claiming to be a moisturizer', whereas olive oil with no fancy ingredients worked perfectly for me. I do like Cantu shea butter leave-in conditioning repair cream along with my olive oil... I think it's the collagen that works so well to give my hair the elasticity that it lacks. I also sometimes like the Lustrasilk cholestral conditioner (I think it's the mango butter... it's orange).

brielle87
July 18th, 2011, 01:03 PM
I love Carol's Daughter products and especially the Hair Milk leave in conditioner.

wvgemini
July 18th, 2011, 01:31 PM
I use the Cantu Shea leave in stuff and love it! Smells great too. I was planning on picking up some of the Shea Moisture items as well. I've gotten some looks and one comment from an associate at Walmart, but I just don't see the big deal.

Paranda Belle
July 18th, 2011, 01:48 PM
I use hair mayonaise for an occasional protien boost. Leaves my hair soft and shiny. But beware that some products do have a few cones in, and they are usually listed right at the bottom of the ingredients list!

C.H.
July 18th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I agree with Maelyssa about the mineral oil, also be on the lookout for "petrolatum", basically the same thing. Just like anywhere, read the ingredients first!

I second this. Many are heavy on the petrolatum and/or mineral oil. As long as you avoid that, I would say knock yourself out. I ran across the sheamoisture line in the ethnic section of Walgreens recently and was very impressed after reviewing the ingredients (but what it has and what it doesn't have), but haven't tried it yet.

Anje
July 18th, 2011, 02:11 PM
I haven't gone after them because many of the ones I've picked up have so much mineral oil or paraffin or other petroleum in the ingredients, and I just don't want to have to clean that out of my hair. If I come across something that looks like it would get along well with my hair and feel like experimenting, though, I would gladly give it a try. My hair and scalp respond very well to CO washing, which seems to be a preferred method among curlies and folks of African descent, so I wouldn't be surprised if products geared toward so-called "ethnic" hair (awful term, btw) would work well for me.

RitaCeleste
July 18th, 2011, 02:52 PM
I've seen products like KeraCare that have mineral oil and still manage to work amazingly well. So I put mineral oil back as possibly okay for hair. I don't believe cones are bad of everyone. And I don't believe mineral oil is as bad as the claims against it either. KeraCare is the best on my daughter's hair, on mine it makes my hair feel stiffer and zaps my waves. But I won't be thinking mineral oil is bad in all cases anymore. The KeraCare works wonders on my daughter's hair and she loves the slip and her tangles just fall out using it.

MissHair
July 18th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Ive learned alot from this, thanks alot. :D

HappyHair87
July 18th, 2011, 04:07 PM
This is interesting how different things work for different people. Many years ago, I had to give up products marketed towards afro textured hair because they didn't work as well for me... plain ole simple olive oil has been better for my hair than most commercial products sold for afro textured hair. They left my hair feeling dry while 'claiming to be a moisturizer', whereas olive oil with no fancy ingredients worked perfectly for me. I do like Cantu shea butter leave-in conditioning repair cream along with my olive oil... I think it's the collagen that works so well to give my hair the elasticity that it lacks. I also sometimes like the Lustrasilk cholestral conditioner (I think it's the mango butter... it's orange).

OMG SPRING!!! Your hair has TRULY gotten longer!!! Beautiful!!!

But yeah...I have afrohair and I can't get down with Afro hair products sold in stores. They don't moisturize my hair. They suck the moisture out. I actually have a bottle of Hawaiian Silky 14-1 leave in spray just collecting dust upon my dresser.

I have to either order products online from places like Oyin Handmade, She Scent It, Bee Mine. Or sometimes I just order some Shea butter, mix my favorite oils in it and put it on damp hair OR I buy products that are either geared towards curly hair or that are Curly Girl friendly from the drugstore.

I've discovered since going natural that there's no need for "Black Hair Care" products like u see in the Ethnic Sections. The market is only big bc it's drying out Black American hair causing it to break off and thus a vast majority of not only Black women but non Black ppl think that Afro hair cannot grow to longer lengths. Thus the weave. The whole thing is like a big scam and it's sad.

So I just buy my Suave and Herbal Essence products as well as oils like castor oil, evoo, sweet almond oil, and my baby:love:...coconut oil.

I've tried the Shea Moisture line...the deep treatment masque actually dried my hair out...I don't understand why. The only thing I use with mineral oil are my Dominican Deep conditioners. And they work great I guess bc I rinse them out.

Sorry this is so long.

1953Diygal
July 18th, 2011, 04:11 PM
I forgot all about Oyin Handmade! Their products are wonderful and they smell so good. I especially like Whipped Pudding and the Burnt Sugar hair pomade. It takes awhile to get their orders because they hand make each order that goes out. Mmmmm....Whipped Pudding (drool)

P.S.
I also adore the books the Oyin people sell on their ExitTheApple (http://exittheapple.com/index.php/exittheapple-store-v-101/) site! I give "******** or Fertilizer" and "The Single Woman's Manifesto" as gifts and I have their two children's books in my classroom library. They also have some awesome free MP3s on their site. I play the remix for kids (http://exittheapple.com/index.php/2007/07/sunny-days-childrens-mix-tape-vol-1/) a lot when my students are doing handwriting or journaling.

Busybee
September 22nd, 2011, 02:54 PM
I have coarse hair at my nape, and though maybe a cholesterol treatment would work well and smooth my hair.
Got one of those well rated tubs at Sally's.

UUGGHHH - Horrible. It was like putting straight body cream in your hair and then letting it dry. My hair was impossible to comb wet, dryed matte with no shine, felt tacky and looked rough. I guess the mineral oil and parabens were too much for me..... not to mention that I smelled like a walking tub of Pond's cold cream....hahaha.

I had to clarify 2x to get it out. :(

Red Rapunzel
September 22nd, 2011, 03:05 PM
Yes! I love my "ethnic" hair product that I got at WalMart called "Olive Oil Smooth-n-Hold Pudding." Oddly enough, it doesn't have any olive oil mentioned in its ingredient list. I was losing patience with my hair that had been drying out and frizzing and was almost ready to start just wearing wigs! Once I found the "Olive Oil Pudding" and began generously applying it to my hair, though, my hair started lying down better, becoming smoother, straighter, with a great scent!! When I put my hair up, the "puddin'" helps keep stray ends in place. Love it!!

cheetahfast
September 22nd, 2011, 03:08 PM
I tried carol's daughter, but I realized that it gave my hair major protein overload. Ever since then my hair seems to be really protein sensitive, maybe I'm more aware of the dry feeling and no longer think that it's just part of my curly hair texture.

ellen732
September 22nd, 2011, 03:10 PM
I frequently use the Shea Moisture line (http://www.walgreens.com/search/results.jsp?Ntt=shea+moisture&x=9&y=10)which can be found in the ethnic hair section of Walgreens. Target carries it as well. They make great shea deep treatments, shea-based shampoos, and a great anti-frizz coconut based spray. I cannot say enough good things about that line! I hope Walgreens carries it for a very very long time.

I agree. I love the Curl Enhancing Smoothie. I have used every gel and leave-in product known to man and now this is all I use after I wash and condition.

Trish in SC
September 22nd, 2011, 03:16 PM
I've been trying the Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Smoothie, but am confused by the results. Sometimes I have to put in two or three applications, because it seems to dry out so quickly and the friz comes right back. I've been putting it on dry hair. Maybe that's the problem?

For those who have had good results with this product, how do you use it? And what does it do for your hair?

Any help is appreciated. I'm a newbie, after all, so I need all the advice I can get! :rolleyes:

ellen732
September 22nd, 2011, 03:22 PM
I've been trying the Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Smoothie, but am confused by the results. Sometimes I have to put in two or three applications, because it seems to dry out so quickly and the friz comes right back. I've been putting it on dry hair. Maybe that's the problem?

For those who have had good results with this product, how do you use it? And what does it do for your hair?

Any help is appreciated. I'm a newbie, after all, so I need all the advice I can get! :rolleyes:

I find that it works best for me if I put it in damp hair, about the size of a half dollar but my hair is long. It tames my 2b/2c waves and leaves it soft and shiny without frizz. It doesn't make my hair curlier though, and I'm glad.

Trish in SC
September 22nd, 2011, 03:25 PM
Thanks, Ellen, I'll try that.

natural80
September 22nd, 2011, 03:29 PM
OMG SPRING!!! Your hair has TRULY gotten longer!!! Beautiful!!!

But yeah...I have afrohair and I can't get down with Afro hair products sold in stores. They don't moisturize my hair. They suck the moisture out. I actually have a bottle of Hawaiian Silky 14-1 leave in spray just collecting dust upon my dresser.

I have to either order products online from places like Oyin Handmade, She Scent It, Bee Mine. Or sometimes I just order some Shea butter, mix my favorite oils in it and put it on damp hair OR I buy products that are either geared towards curly hair or that are Curly Girl friendly from the drugstore.

I've discovered since going natural that there's no need for "Black Hair Care" products like u see in the Ethnic Sections. The market is only big bc it's drying out Black American hair causing it to break off and thus a vast majority of not only Black women but non Black ppl think that Afro hair cannot grow to longer lengths. Thus the weave. The whole thing is like a big scam and it's sad.

So I just buy my Suave and Herbal Essence products as well as oils like castor oil, evoo, sweet almond oil, and my baby:love:...coconut oil.

I've tried the Shea Moisture line...the deep treatment masque actually dried my hair out...I don't understand why. The only thing I use with mineral oil are my Dominican Deep conditioners. And they work great I guess bc I rinse them out.

Sorry this is so long.

I agree. There are a few products that I can find in the beauty supply store that works. Kids Organics ('cones), World of Curls (spritz), or any other glycerin spritz without 'cones works. Shea butter is the bomb. It works good when I mixed it with glycerin.

julierockhead
September 22nd, 2011, 04:27 PM
Since I have started reading about hair care on the internet I have realized that in many cases the sistas know way more than white people do about hair care! So when I was in the dollar store I spied out the "ethnic" hair care section (why is it separated from the other hair stuff? Is this a vestige of segragation? Weird) and was dismayed at the number of mineral oil products. Yuk. I did find a conditioner, Salon Olive Oil, whose ingredients to my noob eye looked very good...and it's a great COwash conditioner when I need something richer than Suave. It's a nice leave-in too, very light smell.

archel
September 22nd, 2011, 04:36 PM
I don't have any right now, but I love the Organic Root Stimulator olive oil cream.

Libbylou
September 22nd, 2011, 04:57 PM
I was just look at the ethnic line in grocery store today(That is about the only shopping I do now days). What a coincidence that this is a topic today. But I didn't buy any, I took the "Use your stash" challenge.