PDA

View Full Version : Self image and change of goal

hibiscus
July 18th, 2011, 02:46 AM
---------------------------------

Alaia
July 18th, 2011, 03:56 AM
Never let fear of what others think cause you to do something you don't want to do. If you want to do it, then fine.

But people probably aren't really thinking "What a freak with the long hair", they are probably thinking "Wow her hair is long and beautiful".

Go for whatever makes you happy with your hair :flowers:

sun-kissed
July 18th, 2011, 11:01 AM
You just do what makes you happy, there are people who will not like it, but also a lot more who will. My mother got me to cut my BSL/waist hair to a 'styled APL' for highschool and I did it because I thought it would make me more normal and less insecure about myself, not because I knew I would love it. I've been horridly upset ever since. Never again will I cut my beautiful hair!! </3

And don't worry about being your natural self, I'm sure you are beautiful with or without henna. ;D Keep it up, and if you ever feel like you want to henna again, think about it for at least a week, don't just give in on the spot, or you might regret it later.

Good luck reaching your new goal, and believe in yourself!

Henrietta
July 18th, 2011, 11:20 AM
An idea for boots? Updos! I am sure that with APL you can do a plenty of them. Everyday you can look different ;)
I keep my fingers crossed. Stop thinking that people have a bad opinion of some kind about you or your hair. It is not true. 1. When someone has long hair, 90&#37; of women thinks "I'd like to have my hair so long too". I know it is so, because my cousin has TBL hair and she hears it everyday. 2. The way people look is not objective. Really. When I think about nothing, just walk and listen to music I have completely sad/boring/"don't talk to me" face expression, at least my friends say so. So...? Don't trust the way people look at your hair ;)
:flower:

brielle87
July 18th, 2011, 11:32 AM
You should feel super comfortable with your long hair. Yes it does make you different, but in the best way possible.
I have knee length hair, but ALWAYS wear it up. Whenever I take it down people always are amazed and say "I wish I could have hair that long". Most people admire super long hair, because it is different and beautiful, not for any other reason.
I remember last summer walking on the beach with my mother in law. I had left my hair down, it was still slightly damp from the night before (love humid air:( ) but so many people started talking to me, just on account of my hair. Admiring it, asking how long it took to grow, is it hard to care for, etc...
You will be pleasantly surprised by how much positive attention you will receive.
Sometimes "different" is great.

RitaCeleste
July 18th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Updo's require pretty hair toys. Now I think those are a nice Boost that doesn't involve color. I color my hair to death but I just learned an updo that required a stick. People complained about the pencil so I've ordered my first hair toy besides barrettes from Walmart. I've been corrupted. Now I'm planning to have some hair jewelry. Clips, Clamps, Claws, Hairsticks, Hair forks. I think I like this better than color, if that's even possible?

jojo
July 19th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I'm confused about my self image. Now that I've reached my goal of APL, it still doesn't feel long enough. I used to have waist length hair for years and years and years, and changed it because I hated being so different and unconventional, and thought that people probably looked at me differently or disrespected me because of it. Probably just me being paranoid! I had low self esteem and thought a drastic haircut would help, but it didn't. I had fun with different hair lengths and cuts but I kind of miss my waist length hair and I'm changing my goal to BSL/WL. I also want to embrace my natural colour (dark brown with chestnut highlights) and give up the henna which I've been using for over 20 years. I managed to coax an opinion out of my husband (he's always reluctant to say what he prefers because he doesn't want to tell me what to do and be a control freak) and it turns out he liked me with long hair and would prefer me not to henna my hair. So that made me even more determined to do what I've been considering, i.e. grow longer and give up henna.

I just hope my resolve stays strong this time. Every time I've tried to give up the henna before, I've caved in at some point thinking my hair looks dull and boring and I need a boost. I'm not sure how else to give myself a boost and get that lovely feeling I get from henna. Any ideas anyone?

I really want to embrace my natural colour. (Growing out henna isn't a problem for me because it blends well enough with my natural colour.)

I hope my ramblings made some sense. :)

I don't get this bit? I don't see waist length as a length that people would find "different and unconventional" its not even that long. I think hair has to be at least classic length before it is seen as unusually long.

anyway good for you embracing your hairs natural beauty, though henna is beautiful too I understand why you feel this way. SMT's are lovely in maintaining hairs beauty.

Roscata
July 19th, 2011, 10:58 AM
If you're looking for a boost you could always use a semi-permanent hair dye I'd recommend something that comes pre-mixed like Manic Panic (which made from plants). I know on their website it says you need to bleach your hair for it to work, but if you rap your hair in cling film and leave it on for longer than 15 minutes, say 1 hour, it will work just as well on virgin/henna hair.
I'm glad you're growing your hair out long again for yourself. Good luck! :D

hibiscus
July 19th, 2011, 03:59 PM
--------------------

hibiscus
July 19th, 2011, 04:01 PM
I don't get this bit? I don't see waist length as a length that people would find "different and unconventional" its not even that long. I think hair has to be at least classic length before it is seen as unusually long.

Just what I was told many many times by many different people over the years when I had waist length hair so obviously plenty of people did find it different and unconventional.

faithsdaisy421
July 19th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Just what I was told many many times by many different people over the years when I had waist length hair so obviously plenty of people did find it different and unconventional.
I agree. I am told all the time that my BSL hair is so long and unique. I think that this view is based on two things. First of all, I truly think it depends on where one lives. In some areas, long hair not seen as often due to culture, weather, etc. The second is that we here on LHC see VERY long hair all the time. I still think of my BSL hair as very short. But, that is mostly because i hang out on a forum all day that is full of very long haired people :).

You should do with your hair what makes YOU feel beautiful and happy! If that means growing your hair to the floor then do it! If it means shaving if off into a mohawk, do it :p! Life is far to short to worry about what society thinks...

jojo
July 20th, 2011, 04:19 PM

maybe we have been brain washed by LHC :D heck what would they say if your hair was really long!

hibiscus
July 23rd, 2011, 04:09 PM
-----------------

McFearless
July 23rd, 2011, 10:58 PM
Do you use oils? They give some folks results very similar to henna. You could also use cassia without getting any colour.

hibiscus
July 24th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Do you use oils? They give some folks results very similar to henna. You could also use cassia without getting any colour.

Thanks for the ideas.

SoulOfTheSea
July 24th, 2011, 02:04 PM
I have always wanted hip-length hair, and the last time I had hair that long was when I was 3 -.- .... I recently did a major chop last April, and I loved having short hair for a while because of the health and how easy it was to take care of (I chopped it because my waist length hair was so so damaged :( ). However, now that my long hair has returned (and better than ever!) my confidence has soared! I love love having long wavy hair :3 (except on wash days @_@) Can't wait til it's hip length and I can feel like a mermaid!! :)