PDA

View Full Version : Help - New Curly Wurly Member

Seishin
July 18th, 2011, 02:37 AM
Hi Lovely People. I'm new to LHC but just wanted to say I think the community is fantastic and so supportive. Wish I'd come accross you guys sooner.

I'm a new henna head. After 10 years of chemical dye on my 3c hair, enough was enough. Over the last two years I've lost about 1/3 of my pony tail circumference, and right now I just have to run my fingers through my hair and it keeps on falling from the root. Doctors have done all the tests and I have the all clear. Everyone keeps saying its my age and that curly hair falls out more. I dont take that on board as I'm only 35 years young. I've cut my hair from waist length to a bob because it broke my heart to see the long hair in clumps everywhere. But after discovering LHC I'm filled with hope again, that I can recover my hair loss and be nicer to me and my hair. I was up most of the night searching through threads to see if I had a twin hair head on here. I've started oiling my hair more, using CO and doing loose lace braids to keep the hair tidy while it grows but I just have to touch my hair and its all over the floor. I'm at a loss where to go from here. I need some advice on a new hair care routine that I could adopt. started taking my Biotin again yesterday:D

Pierre
July 18th, 2011, 03:23 AM
Welcome to LHC and to Lawsonia!

I'm curly (not that curly) and have no problem with hair loss, or breakage, and barely any split ends. I do of course lose a bunch of hair every time I wash (which is once or twice a week), but the new growth more than makes up for it, so my hair is growing. I keep it up all the time, except when washing of course, and I wash with a comb, never a brush. I have a mixture of mostly jojoba with some coconut that I oil my hair with. Don't worry, the longer you stay away from the chem dye, the more hair you'll have that won't fall apart at a touch. (Not that I've ever used chem dye. I've never colored my hair without henna.)

Hotrox
July 18th, 2011, 03:24 AM
Hello Seishin Welcome to the LHC :D

I'm a fellow curly head, but not a 3c like you but wondered if you had given the Curly Girl method a shot yet? It is basically CO washing without silicones and sulphates. Its definitely worth a read of the many threads dedicated to it, I can't find a link for you but maybe a cleverer LHC'er may be able to help us out...... I took a few days off work when I first discovered this place and just read all the info on here like crazy person!

I'm not sure what at advise about the hair falling, there are many causes and seeing as you say you are in good health it may just be that you need to adjust your hair care routine to find the one that you hair is most happy with, do you do protective styling? How do you de-tangle your curls? There are many small changes that can be made to improve the condition of your hair, and with so much experience on here you'll in the best place to get the right answers :)

Seishin
July 18th, 2011, 03:33 AM
Thanks Guys. Wow I love your updo Hotrox. i put my hands up, I've tried to fight my natural curls for years and have used straightening irons once a week for a number of years. Gave up the irons this year and working with what God gave me. No heat full stop. Just air drying and gentle finger combing. My hair could use a comb as I feel there is some resin build up in my hair after the henna but I'm too scared to use a wide tooth combed with my hair the way it is at the moment. Trying to keep it as soft and managebale as possible with the cocunut oil.

GRU
July 18th, 2011, 05:41 AM
Not sure how close I am to a "hair twin" but I'll give it a shot.

What works for me:

*Getting my TSH levels as close to 1.0 as possible (I notice you're in the UK -- if you have "subclinical hypothyroidism" you may have to REALLY ride your physician for appropriate treatment -- most docs seem to think a TSH in the 3.0-4.0 range is "normal" but it is NOT! You'll also have to push to have your T3 and T4 levels checked -- TSH alone is not good enough for monitoring thyroid function.).

*No 'cones and no sulfates.

*CO-washing.

*ACV-rinsing.

*Detangling in the shower with conditioner-coated hair and a wide-toothed comb.

*Brushing only with a Tangle Teezer and only if necessary for updo, braid, etc.

*Leaving conditioner / aloe / oil on my hair.

I need to write up an updated version, but this is what I do, other than the fact that my leave-in now consists of conditioner, aloe, and oil:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1308189&postcount=14

Seishin
July 18th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Thanks Gru....think I may have to pay my GP yet another visit. I'm sure he will begrudgingly offer me the tests again. Not very helpful at all

GRU
July 18th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Hypothyroidism is VERY misunderstood, even in this day and age. You really have to do your research if your numbers are "normal" according to the lab.

But the biggest difference for me hair-wise has been CO-washing and not brushing out the tangles.

AceOfCurls
July 18th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Hi Seishin, I also have the same problem. I have 3b hair and I started losing my hair in chucks as well and I'm only 23 years old! I'm not quite sure what is going on, but I hope to recover my thick long hair soon. I'm going to buy Biotin today and start the process. Hopefully we'll both recover from this traumatic hair loss. I try not to stress because I think that makes it worse.

Anje
July 18th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Hi Seishin, I also have the same problem. I have 3b hair and I started losing my hair in chucks as well and I'm only 23 years old! I'm not quite sure what is going on, but I hope to recover my thick long hair soon. I'm going to buy Biotin today and start the process. Hopefully we'll both recover from this traumatic hair loss. I try not to stress because I think that makes it worse.
AceOfCurls, if you've started losing hair in chunks and can't attribute it to something like a relaxer job, you need to get to the doctor, not simply take random supplements hoping that you'll happen to treat what's wrong! Hair loss tends to indicate that something's wrong internally (anemia, deficiency of any of a dozen vitamins and minerals, thyroid are just the common possibilities).

Take care of yourself before you pop pills.

longcurlygirl<3
July 18th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Well, I am a 3a/3b so I guess I am a bit close. I lost alot of hair but for a problem of oct '10. And well I have been regrowing my hair and I feel it is thicker! So there is hope, just be patient, eat healthy, do not stress out! Because stress makes your hair fall out or even months after the stressed problem. Just be chill and do not stress about your hair falling. If you go to naturallycurly.com and go to the discussion boards, there is a thin/thinning part and check it out there.
Good Luck!
Ps: I feel that doing deep treatments strengthen my hair, and scalp massages with your favorite oil for a couple of minutes a day, everyday. Also maybe exercise abit for the blood circulation wih flow more.

Seishin
July 19th, 2011, 02:24 AM
I second Ange on that. Definately go see your DR and get the relevant blood tests done in the first instance to rule out any underlying issues.

I'm feeling more positive today, knowing that I can come here for the best possible advice and more importantly real understanding...something that the medical profession all too often lack in my personal experience..:o