PDA

View Full Version : ? for those who wash once a week or so......

whiteisle
June 24th, 2008, 08:17 PM
.........what do you do in between washings for your hair? Do you rinse with water, CO, brush, etc.? I'd like to try to start stretching my washings out (I'm every day right now) but was wondering how to care for my hair during the "off" time.

Curlsgirl
June 24th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I CWC once a week. I don't really rinse or anything between unless I swim but I bought a swim cap to use so I won't be doing that anymore either. In between, I sometimes mist a bit with just water and little conditioner. I do braid a lot and wet my tassle and add conditioner and coconut oil to keep my ends protected and mosturized. I sometimes even put a bit of oil over it when mist. I don't usually oil without misting. That's pretty much it for me. I find if I CWC with a sulfate shampoo (diluted) my scalp is fine. I never oil or condition on my scalp even when I CWC. I keep the leave-ins mostly below my ears and only the rinseouts up above that and still don't let it touch my scalp. It makes it dirtier quicker. I use Aveda color seal shampoo and LOVE it. I like BWC leave-in conditioner or Biolage conditioning balm for leave-ins and mixed in my mixer.

Oh and I do detangle maybe after a couple of days with a wood comb very gently and every day or every other day after that depending on how I wore my hair and how tangled it is. HTH.

misstwist
June 24th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I've been once a week recently with Aveda Shampure products which I really like.

I fingercomb and bun in the morning and use a wooden comb as well if I'm braiding. I use a skim of coconut oil after a wash and again nearly every morning. If I'm leaving my hair down and want to reactive the waves I use biotera's leave-in cut by half with water to make it sprayable, then scrunch the heck out of it.

Riot Crrl
June 24th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I would suggest to possibly start out by continuing your usual SC every other day, then just rinsing (and adding conditioner if you need it) every other day. Eventually a weekend will come up where you can experiment with stretching this even further and see how it goes.

When I did SC I basically did the S every two or three days pretty much, but I rinsed and conditioned every day. Now I do the same thing but with only CO. (I rinse and condition every day but only scrub with the conditioner every 2-3 days.) As long as I add water and conditioner every day, I seem to have no transition period with anything, lol.

danacc
June 24th, 2008, 09:23 PM
I do a modified CWC every 4 days. I usually wash my hair in the evening. The next morning, I apply less than a fingernail of coconut oil to the dry length from the earlobes down. Your results may vary; I know for some, oil applied to damp hair gives good results, and oil applied to dry hair makes it crunchy. For me, oil applied to dry hair works well.

Every morning I finger comb to detangle, then use a horn comb to scritch the scalp. My scalp is unhappy if I don't scritch. I also use a wide-toothed horn comb to help smooth my hair into an up-do after finger-combing. Recently, based on feedback from others here, I stopped using the horn comb to comb the length except to the degree necessary to smooth it into the up-do. If I leave my hair down and loose (which is rare for me), or braid it at the nape, I use finger combing only.

If it feels like it needs it, I apply a fingernail of coconut oil to the length on one of the other days. I don't usually need to do this, though. Other than that, I leave it alone--no wetting or other leave-ins.

I used to wash my hair every day, then started stretching out the washings in November 2007. First, I went to an every-other-day routine, cutting the washing in half. The first time I skipped, I had noticeably oily hair. The second time I skipped, it was visibly oily, but not as much. By the end of the first week, the texture was different on the off day, but not oily-looking. Stretching more than every-other-day was a much longer adjustment period, and I still have noticeably oily hair the day before I wash after a couple of months of keeping an every-4th-day routine. I don't have oily-looking hair on the other 3 days, though. And up-do's hold much easier on the 2nd and 3rd day than on the 1st. On the 4th day, I just pretend I have styling product in, and choose my up-do a little more carefully so that the slicked-back look works with it.

Aisha25
June 24th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Once a week washer here. I oil my hair every other day scalp massage and finger comb everyday. I wo on thursday night because I do coconut milk on thursday morning and then do head bath on friday morning after a DT.

Magicknthenight
June 24th, 2008, 09:38 PM
im trying to strech my washes too! Last time when i didnt want to fully wash i just conditioned the length and washed my bangs. The rest of my scalp was fine! If you have bangs i would suggest washing them as it really helps with the greasy look and feel. But you could always use cornstarch! I tried it a while ago and it works you just put some in your hair where you want some of the greasies gone and then brush/comb/ or just kinda dust your hair with your hands to get any leftover cornstarch out of your hair. :D

Mrs_Zombie
June 24th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I don't do anything in between. Seriously, i wash once a week, maybe twice. A CWC and a CO. I usually just wash once a week a CWC. Between washings i just put my hair up in a ponytail. I've been washing my hair once a week (at most twice) for about 6 years now, so my hair is completely used to it. I don't brush, comb, rinse, NOTHING between washings. Sometimes if my hair feels a little dry i might add a little jojoba oil to the ends, but that really is about it. I'm really lucky that my hair doesn't tangle. I only comb right after i wash my hair, and that's the only comb it sees until the next wash

I'm a lazy head. :D

julya
June 24th, 2008, 10:54 PM
I try to comb my hair once a day, and I wash it in some fashion about once a week.

SearMeCarefully
June 24th, 2008, 10:54 PM
I wash about once a week and I use conditioner the other time - just a light amount but its mostly when I scrub my scalp lightly with my fingertips that does the cleaning

Dianyla
June 25th, 2008, 01:09 AM
I only get my scalp hair wet when I'm actually washing it. If I get it wet or damp in between washes, it gets greasy and nasty much faster.

I detangle the length daily, and usually add some jojoba oil or coconut/shea mix to the length (shoulders and down). Occasionally I'll mist or dampen the length and ends, to moisturize them.

If I've got a lot of scalp buildup, and cannot wash, I will occasionally scritch and try to scratch up as many flakes as possible, and then try to preen/brush it out with a BBB. It kind of helps. :shrug:

GlennaGirl
June 25th, 2008, 01:47 AM
I don't do anything special to my hair between washings. I don't oil or rinse it. I just wash it once it seems dirty. I just went a full week before feeling I needed to wash it. My take on it is this: rather than keeping to an exact schedule, I may as well just give my hair what it needs, when it needs it. That just seems like the most natural thing to do.

Lamb
June 25th, 2008, 02:37 AM
(I rinse and condition every day but only scrub with the conditioner every 2-3 days.) As long as I add water and conditioner every day, I seem to have no transition period with anything, lol.

That's my experience right now. I S&C every three days, but due to dry summer hair and bedhead problems, I rinse and condition every day. Works well and I hope to keep it up.
It might be different for a straightie though - perhaps it would be a good idea to do an S&C every other day and CO in between to ease transition.

Miss Murphy
June 25th, 2008, 02:48 AM
I wash once a week, and don't do anything in between. My hair is quite funky on the wash day and the day before - but for me that's Saturday and Sunday. On these days I only do sports anyway, so I don't really care.

I do brush though.

willowcandra
June 25th, 2008, 04:24 AM
I do nothing. I just wrap it in a bun and forget it.:)

blondecat
June 25th, 2008, 04:58 AM
I wash my hair once a week but do rince with water daily and when dry brush with a Natural Bristle Brush [BBB]

As a washing rutine I CWC diluted sham/cond, then leave in condish.
On in between days after rincing, I oil [almond oil & peppermint & rosemary eo's]

Bunning when wet. leave it to dry
When totally dry I BBB,

mira-chan
June 25th, 2008, 06:12 AM
.........what do you do in between washings for your hair? Do you rinse with water, CO, brush, etc.? I'd like to try to start stretching my washings out (I'm every day right now) but was wondering how to care for my hair during the "off" time.

I oil, scalp and length, as needed. Scritch a bit as needed. Otherwise put it up and leave it alone. I don't even comb every day.

MemSahib
June 25th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Well, there is the daily comb-out. (Actually that's several times a day with my superfine hair.) But I S&C with gentle products once a week. That's all. No wettings of any kind in between.

LynnM
June 25th, 2008, 08:24 AM
I don't do anything special to my hair between washings. I don't oil or rinse it. I just wash it once it seems dirty. I just went a full week before feeling I needed to wash it. My take on it is this: rather than keeping to an exact schedule, I may as well just give my hair what it needs, when it needs it. That just seems like the most natural thing to do.

What do you wash your hair with? (i.e., what kind of product?)

burns_erin
June 25th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I wash my scalp and condition the entirety twice a week, those two are usually close together, like Monday and Wednesday morning. The rest of the time I spray a Rosemary, Basil and Mint "tea" on my scalp.

Pegasus Marsters
June 25th, 2008, 08:37 AM
I just leave my hair to do its thing. Pin it up out of the way and wash it at the weekend.

Of course... I'm sick and can only really take baths if someone else is home to make sure I don't pass out or fall whilst getting in/out. Sighage.

Delenn
June 25th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I used to be strictly CO, that was done maybe 2-3 times a week. Gradually my routine changed and currently I do a CWC once a week and that's it. I don't wet down my hair in between because I just bun it and go, 9 times out of 10 I don't even comb it out. I will do a quick CO during the week if I have the urge to wear my hair down one day.

.Amanaka.
June 25th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Right now I wash once a week.

During the rest of the week I'll let my hair get damp in the shower, with one WO rinse, and then mist and add oils and leave ins the rest of the time. Mostly, I just keep it up.

jojo
June 25th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I shampoo just once a week but I do CO washes and herbal rinses inbetween, which really help.

I find when your trying to stretch poos out, rinse with cold water rather than warm/hot it helps cut down the greasies and makes the hair shine too!

eadwine
June 25th, 2008, 12:29 PM
.........what do you do in between washings for your hair? Do you rinse with water, CO, brush, etc.? I'd like to try to start stretching my washings out (I'm every day right now) but was wondering how to care for my hair during the "off" time.I do nothing for it but comb it and put it up in a bun. CO in my eyes counts as a washing, so don't do that if you want to stretch out. :)

naomimcc
June 25th, 2008, 12:40 PM
I just wear it up all the time.

Isilme
June 25th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I wear it in different styles and comb it twice a day. Sometimes I add a tiny bit of leave on misted hair, but that's not all that often. I practice being neglect :D

thetokenlady
June 25th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I take a shower in the mornings and rinse my hair with plain water then. Maybe a dab of condish on the very ends if they feel tangly, and detangle and put it up. My hair only gets shampoo on it once a week, usually on Saturday. Right now with the hot weather damp hair feels nice!

MusingFrog
June 25th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I wash my hair once a week. In between I generally comb it once in the morning and once before bed. It is in a bun during the day and I have it down at night. If I am excessively sweaty from exercise I'll do a quick wash with a little bit of shampoo so my hair won't stick to my head when it dries.

Lisa-Maria
June 26th, 2008, 02:42 AM
I wash, on average, thrice a week using only diluted AVC followed by damp oiling. If my scalp's really dirty or oily I let my schmpoo bar get in on the action as well. The AVC rinse usually does the trick though.

morgwn
June 26th, 2008, 02:58 AM
I CWC maybe every couple of weeks and mostly just CO about once a week. I do wear my hair up every day and my hair seems pretty happy with this system. However, I do sometimes scritch my scalp if it feels like gunk has built up and I'll also oil the ends mostly every day before I go to sleep.

havana86
June 28th, 2008, 01:53 AM
I (finger)comb my hair thoroughly every other day, and then (bb)brush the roots to even out the "grease" after 4 days or so. I wash my hair (poo and cones) about once a week, and it's working just fine. I loose much less hair, and my scalp seems to be enjoying it. I also save quite a lot of money on hair products:) My hair likes it best when left alone anyways!

Ndnlady
June 28th, 2008, 02:07 AM
I wash my hair once a week with my shampoo bar, and oil my ends about every other night in between, but the night before I am going to wash I saturate my hair from ears down with coconut oil.

peachy.pudding
June 28th, 2008, 02:20 AM
I have just experimented with this in my blog, feel free to read, i have found that stretching washings is not for everyone, but only you will know after experimenting.

Gabrielle
June 28th, 2008, 03:42 AM
I wash once a week usually. In between washing I don't even comb the curly, fine, fragile length but I will use a comb to smooth the hair on scalp around face. I spritz with rosewater around my face in the morning and smooth that area with a horn comb then put my hair up. Believe it or not, with my dry hair, it looks best on day seven before I shampoo!

AprilElf
June 28th, 2008, 04:10 AM
I'm a once-a-weeker from way back. (Mainly because it takes so long to wash and dry.) :p

Since joining LHC my routine has become:
- CWC with ACV rinse
- comb once or twice daily
- mostly wear updos

With no regularity, during the week I may also:
- mist (water or water/conditioner)
- apply conditioner to wet ends
- light oiling (coconut)

Speedbump
June 28th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Although right now I am washing twice a week, most of the year it's only once.

I massage my scalp daily and comb twice daily. Then I braid it and stop thinking about it for most of the day. :lol: That's all I do.

Beatnik Guy
June 28th, 2008, 06:51 AM
I scalp was every 3 days and length wash ever 4 weeks (approx). Mostly it's in a pony or banded tail, gets combed 2 or 3 times a day (although doesn't tangle badly, as it is coarse); jojoba oil and BWC leave in as required during the wash-cycle.

HotRag
June 28th, 2008, 08:45 AM
I wash once a week. CO for now. With SMT after (every week for now).

Every day I comb and every to every other day I put oil on ends.

I could wait longer between washes, but then maybe need to scritch.
Scalp maybe would go itchy also, but I haven't tried this long between washes since I practised S&C. Maybe it would not itch now when I CO (or) CWC.

cobblersmaid
June 28th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I CWC every 4-5 days. In between I don't do any sort of cleaning. I comb daily, sometimes I will dampen and oil the length, and wear it up 98% of the time.

Magrat
June 28th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I actually consider myself washing two times a week, but depending on how you'd classify a wash, it could be said I do it once a week - or even less.

I try to get in the shower and wet my hair twice a week. Once a week it's just a simple WO, just rinse, sometimes massage the scalp (not always) and finish off with cold water.
The other time I either do a CO, or use clay, or if I feel like it, just another WO, in that case with a massage. That time I often finish off with ACV in cold water, but not always.
I oil a little bit every other day.

Deborah
June 28th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I mostly wash (CO or shampoo bars followed by an acidic rinse) once a week. I brush or comb as often as I like, usually twice a day.

That's it.

p.s. I forgot - sometimes I put a tiny bit of shea nut butter on the last 6 inches of hair, right after washing, while the hair is still wet/damp.

cheekytweety
June 28th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I started by stretching my washes gradually, going a day further each time.

rubyann
June 28th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I wash one to two times a week. I haven't been using any one method with any kind of regularity. Pretty much whatever I get the urge to do, mostly specific to how my scalp and hair feel and how they responded to whatever I did the last weeks. Right now I'm CO'ing. Before that I would CWC for a couple of months. Before that was shampoo soap bars, also CWC. Before that was CO. Seems I rotate:) I hadn't thought about it too much until I read this thread:shrug: I do use a vinegar rinse followed with a cool water rinse after just about every cleansing method, as it helps with shine and keeps the itchies at bay.

coppercurls
June 28th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I don't do much in between. I oil probably 2-3 times & occasionally mist if I really must de-tangle. If I go swimming, or if my hair feels really dry, I will do a CO on the length.