PDA

View Full Version : Drying wet hair

newbeginning
July 17th, 2011, 05:23 PM
I was wondering what people use to dry their hair. I'm looking for a (non damaging) way that I could use to dry my hair faster. Also I'd like to know where I could find the equipment (e.g towel) people use to dry their hair.

silverjen
July 17th, 2011, 05:25 PM
I use an ordinary towel, but I'm careful to only press it to my head, and squeeze my hair without pulling or rubbing. Doing this thoroughly will get quite a bit of water out, I find.

Melon Collie
July 17th, 2011, 05:35 PM
My hair takes forever to dry, so I do my hair washing in the evening. I do just what silverjen described except with my BSL hair I squeeze as much excess water out before using a towel.

Madora
July 17th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I use a thick Egyptian cotton towel I purchased at Target. I have also devised a special technique for drying my moderately thick, 42 inch long hair via a "fanning"method. Outside it takes 20 minutes. Indoors, with the help of a portable electric heater, it takes 45 minutes.

You can send me a message (if you'd like) regarding my fanning technique. It really works and is easy to do (provided you do not have hand/shoulder issues).

ange1ito
July 17th, 2011, 05:58 PM
I use a turbi towel and the air conditioner in my car on the way to work as it leave's a natural wave. I have it on blast on a cool setting.
My hair has never been healthier. Previous to joining I used to blow fry and straighten daily including the wash.
I love LHC for teaching me to love and accept my wurls :)

neko_kawaii
July 17th, 2011, 06:04 PM
I was outside right after washing my hair for the first time in years and remembered bending over and standing up quickly causing my hair to whip around and knock the excess water out at the ends and wondered if this was LHC kosher, lol. Any thoughts?

BlazingHeart
July 17th, 2011, 06:06 PM
First I squeeze as much water out as I can with just my hands sliding over my hair. Then I use a towel to squeeze more water out. Then I use 3 turbi towels one after another - so I put one on, let it sit for 15 minutes or so, then take it off and put on the second, wait 15 minutes, then put on the 3rd. By the time I've done all that, it's most of the way dry, even though it usually takes me 8+ hours for my hair to dry because it's so very thick.

I bought a 3-pack of Turbis on Amazon for about $10-11.

~Blaze

newbeginning
July 18th, 2011, 05:21 AM
I use a thick Egyptian cotton towel I purchased at Target. I have also devised a special technique for drying my moderately thick, 42 inch long hair via a "fanning"method. Outside it takes 20 minutes. Indoors, with the help of a portable electric heater, it takes 45 minutes.

You can send me a message (if you'd like) regarding my fanning technique. It really works and is easy to do (provided you do not have hand/shoulder issues).

I've never messaged anyone before and I'm guessing others may be curious about your "fanning" method so if you're comfortable would you be able to describe it in this thread? TIA.

Madora
July 18th, 2011, 08:31 AM
I've never messaged anyone before and I'm guessing others may be curious about your "fanning" method so if you're comfortable would you be able to describe it in this thread? TIA.

@New beginning! Glad to!

1 Make sure all your damp or wet hair is thoroughly detangled first. Use a wide tooth comb and gently comb from the bottom of the strands up to the roots
2 Part your hair from the forehead to the nape
3 Band one section with a scrunchy to keep it contained
4 Take a THIN section of hair from your front hairline, lift it
up to your eyebrow, hold your hand out to the side, and let the hair fall
5 Pick up another small sliver and repeat
6 Continue to "fan" the strands..over and over

What you are doing is allowing air to circulate among the strands, which is the secret to drying hair quickly.

Undo the other section of hair and fan it also.

When you notice the hair is halfway dry, you can then take your wide tooth comb, and taking a small section of hair, lift it up and out to the side and gently and SLOWLY, comb down the strands with the comb. Hold your comb lightly in your hand. You do NOT want to rush while you're drying your delicate tresses!

Once all your hair has been fanned and is dry, part your hair again from nape to forehead. Grasp the ends of the hair on your right with your right hand, and gently place the hair over your right shoulder and release it. Repeat with the other side.

Style as desired.

To combat flyaways, try a tiny bit of coconut oil (rubbed between your palms then applied to your hair).

I developed this fanning technique after years of doing battle with snarls and mats. I also use my own technique of shampooing and conditioning as I try and keep tangles to an absolute minimum. Detangling is always done when my hair is full of conditioner.

My 47 inch hair (back then) dried in 20 minutes outdoors.
Indoors, it took 45 minutes (with the aid of a portable electric heater). I've been using this method of airdrying for over 35 years.

Alaia
July 18th, 2011, 09:55 AM
I don't have the patience to do anything like that :lol:

I just put it in a turbie towel and then air-dry it overnight :lol:

Madora
July 18th, 2011, 10:20 AM
@Alaia...

If that works for you, terrific!!

Yours truly loathes wet hair..plus all the angst with those snarls. So the "fanning" technique was born.

IanB
July 18th, 2011, 10:32 AM
I just pat it with a towel, the let the surrounding air get to work!

Anje
July 18th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I turban it for a few minutes in a regular towel, then reverse the towel so I get a dry section at the back of my head and re-turban for a few minutes more. Apply a dab of oil, comb through damp hair, and let it hang down my back to air dry until I need to put it up. I'll braid it if I don't have any time to wait around after combing, since a bun could stay wet for days if I left it.

chahuahuas
July 18th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I use a microfiber towel or a t-shirt, because regular terrycloth towels rough up my curly hair and cause frizz. I just turn my head upside down and squeeze my hair with the microfiber or t-shirt. This keeps my ringlets intact & frizz free, and gives me more volume. (This is actually part of the CG method.)

I should probably note that this doesn't get your hair ALL the way dry, and the only way for me to get my curly hair all the way dry without frizz is to air dry it, or use a diffuser on the hair dryer. A hairdryer with a diffuser is not as harmful as a regular hairdryer, but it's still better to just let it air dry.

heidihug
July 18th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I would never comb or brush my hair when it's even damp, much less wet. Way too much damage. I wash at night, then fan it out over the top of my pillow. By morning it's not dry, just damp. I finger comb, then style in an updo. That evening I let it down for a bit, then I put it into a topknot for sleeping. Next day I detangle and brush, then that night I start over again. My hair is rarely actually fully "dry" by most people's definition of the word.

SallyCinnamon
July 18th, 2011, 03:15 PM
I use a microfiber towel I found on Amazon. I absorb most of the moisture on my hair with a regular terrycloth towel (5 minutes or so), then wrap it in the microfiber towel while getting ready (makeup, tooth-brushing, etc). This method absorbs more water faster than using only a terrycloth towel. It shortens air drying time, especially if I leave it down.

I usually don't use a blow-dryer afterwards. Only once in a while. Also my hair is a 2b, but having a towel touch it doesn't make it go frizzy like some people's hair. Just lucky I guess :cheese:

newbeginning
July 20th, 2011, 03:20 PM
@New beginning! Glad to!

1 Make sure all your damp or wet hair is thoroughly detangled first. Use a wide tooth comb and gently comb from the bottom of the strands up to the roots
2 Part your hair from the forehead to the nape
3 Band one section with a scrunchy to keep it contained
4 Take a THIN section of hair from your front hairline, lift it
up to your eyebrow, hold your hand out to the side, and let the hair fall
5 Pick up another small sliver and repeat
6 Continue to "fan" the strands..over and over

What you are doing is allowing air to circulate among the strands, which is the secret to drying hair quickly.

Undo the other section of hair and fan it also.

When you notice the hair is halfway dry, you can then take your wide tooth comb, and taking a small section of hair, lift it up and out to the side and gently and SLOWLY, comb down the strands with the comb. Hold your comb lightly in your hand. You do NOT want to rush while you're drying your delicate tresses!

Once all your hair has been fanned and is dry, part your hair again from nape to forehead. Grasp the ends of the hair on your right with your right hand, and gently place the hair over your right shoulder and release it. Repeat with the other side.

Style as desired.

To combat flyaways, try a tiny bit of coconut oil (rubbed between your palms then applied to your hair).

I developed this fanning technique after years of doing battle with snarls and mats. I also use my own technique of shampooing and conditioning as I try and keep tangles to an absolute minimum. Detangling is always done when my hair is full of conditioner.

My 47 inch hair (back then) dried in 20 minutes outdoors.
Indoors, it took 45 minutes (with the aid of a portable electric heater). I've been using this method of airdrying for over 35 years.

Thank you!

Hiriel
July 20th, 2011, 03:32 PM
I was outside right after washing my hair for the first time in years and remembered bending over and standing up quickly causing my hair to whip around and knock the excess water out at the ends and wondered if this was LHC kosher, lol. Any thoughts?

My friend used to whip the hair around, to the bathroom sink, and knock the water out. Worked great until the day she whipped her head in to the bathroom sink... (She was OK, though a bit dizzy :p)

I wrap my hair in a microfibre towel (I found mine in the swimming section of a local sports shop) which absorbs a whole lot of water quite quickly. When I'm done drying my body and dressing I remove the towel, and the hair is just damp at that point.

neko_kawaii
July 20th, 2011, 06:18 PM
My friend used to whip the hair around, to the bathroom sink, and knock the water out. Worked great until the day she whipped her head in to the bathroom sink... (She was OK, though a bit dizzy :p)

Oh no!

I had to put one hand against the garden wall so I didn't fall over and thought, "I don't remember feeling like I was going to fall over when I did this regularly as a kid." I also noticed my hair almost touched the ground, so not something I'll be able to do if it gets much longer!

rena
July 20th, 2011, 08:18 PM
My hair despises the towel so I just sqeeze and let it drip.

chahuahuas
July 20th, 2011, 09:08 PM
My hair despises the towel so I just sqeeze and let it drip.

Have you tried microfiber towels or a t-shirt instead of regular terrycloth?

rena
July 20th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Have you tried microfiber towels or a t-shirt instead of regular terrycloth?

I think I will try those out when I get more virgin hair. I have crispy ends that need all the moisture they can get. I also leave some of my conditioner in when it dries and I really don't want the towel to absorb that either >_<. Thanks for the suggestions :).

QueenJoey
July 20th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I squeeze my hair very gently right after my showers so it's not sopping wet and dripping so much.

When I want to speed up the drying process, I pat my hair down with paper towels. Works well! I don't like doing it too much thought because it's not the best thing for the planet.

I have a microfiber turbie twist sorta thing, but I don't think it helps very much (if anything it seems to make my hair dry slower cause it can't get any air), so I just use it when I'm doing hair masks.

julliams
July 20th, 2011, 10:32 PM
In summer I find it really easy to simply air-dry my hair. I usually put it up in a towel for about 5 - 10 minutes. Then I just let it out and add a leave-in.

This week we have had alot of rain and if it weren't for our heater, I think it would take a very long time to get completely dry. We have a gas heater that blows warm air out and heats our open plan home. I find that if I'm in the same room as the heater, my hair just naturally dries a little faster without drying out.

My daughter is able to dry her waist length hair in about 10 minutes in the car with the face-height fan on full blast directly on her. I guess it's no different to a hairdryer really. We discovered that one on a morning when she was running very late and had dripping wet hair on a cold day.

Kathie
July 20th, 2011, 10:43 PM
I used the dehumidify last night I just hung my hair over the vent where the dry air was coming out and moved it around a bit. The air that comes out is very mild, and it took 75&#37; of the dampness off in just a few mins!!
But perhaps that isn't so helpful :P But it worked well!

Dina L.
July 21st, 2011, 12:41 AM
Hi girls!

I checked turbie towel on ebay (to see the price with shipping) and there were microfiber and cotton ones. Which one is the original or if both are OK which one do you own / works better on your hair?

eternalknot
July 21st, 2011, 02:31 AM
I like my microfiber turban. My hair is thicker and takes forever to dry. I usually tie it up in the turban for 15-20 minutes, then blow dry on cool. If I let it sit wet for too long it the heaviness of my hair gives me a killer headache.

chahuahuas
July 21st, 2011, 05:58 AM
I think I will try those out when I get more virgin hair. I have crispy ends that need all the moisture they can get.

Have you tried going cone-free? My ends are muuuch less crispy, and I've only been cone-free for a single wash! I'm excited to see how much softer they get after a few more washes, and the buildup starts to really go away :D

Also, I've been doing a little S&D on the bad ends I find. I'm not sure if that's helping as well.

I used the dehumidify last night I just hung my hair over the vent where the dry air was coming out and moved it around a bit. The air that comes out is very mild, and it took 75&#37; of the dampness off in just a few mins!!
But perhaps that isn't so helpful :P But it worked well!

That sounds great! I've been considering getting a dehumidifier (no vent in the bathroom, and my sheets feel damp ALL THE TIME because my bed is parked over the A/C vent... :mad: Now you've just given me another reason to go out and get it! Thanks!

Svart
July 21st, 2011, 09:06 AM
Hi girls!

I checked turbie towel on ebay (to see the price with shipping) and there were microfiber and cotton ones. Which one is the original or if both are OK which one do you own / works better on your hair?

Microfiber is supposed to pull the moisture more effectively.
From my observation it also leaves less fluff sticking to hair, and this is a good thing.

FB
July 21st, 2011, 10:55 AM
I use the turbie towel too, however my length is causing this method to not be that useful anymore. I am curious about the T-shirt. How is this done???

longcurlygirl<3
July 21st, 2011, 11:11 AM
I use a microfiber towel or a t-shirt, because regular terrycloth towels rough up my curly hair and cause frizz. I just turn my head upside down and squeeze my hair with the microfiber or t-shirt. This keeps my ringlets intact & frizz free, and gives me more volume. (This is actually part of the CG method.)

I should probably note that this doesn't get your hair ALL the way dry, and the only way for me to get my curly hair all the way dry without frizz is to air dry it, or use a diffuser on the hair dryer. A hairdryer with a diffuser is not as harmful as a regular hairdryer, but it's still better to just let it air dry.

I do the same also! But I squeeze a bit of water out apply products,but i DO NOT PLOP ANYMORE SINCE IT SQUISHES MY CURLS :( After the products are in I just squeeze excess water with a microfiber [usually just the ends] or use paper towels, like two or three and scrunch up the ends. It is actually not damaging. Then I put a t-shirt on my back and air dry :)

ElusiveMuse
July 21st, 2011, 11:11 AM
Have you tried going cone-free? My ends are muuuch less crispy, and I've only been cone-free for a single wash! I'm excited to see how much softer they get after a few more washes, and the buildup starts to really go away :D

My ends get super crispy when I go cone free, so it really depends on the hair.

I wring my hair out before I get out of the shower, wrap it in a towel for a few minutes, and then I just let it air dry. It takes a long time because I often damp bun.

Because I mostly wash my hair at night, it's never really a problem for my daily goings-on.

chahuahuas
July 21st, 2011, 11:13 AM
I use the turbie towel too, however my length is causing this method to not be that useful anymore. I am curious about the T-shirt. How is this done???

Cinnamonhair has a great tutorial (http://www.beyondclassiclength.com/hairtowel.html) on what to do when your turbie towel is too short. :) hope that helps.

DarkBeauty
July 21st, 2011, 11:58 AM
I just let my hair air dry after being towel dried (Although don't scrunch the hair violently) just gently pat the hair from just above the ears downwards. I find using a hair dryer dries out my hair too much, seeing as i have naturally dry hair.

FB
July 21st, 2011, 01:40 PM
Cinnamonhair has a great tutorial (http://www.beyondclassiclength.com/hairtowel.html) on what to do when your turbie towel is too short. :) hope that helps.

Thank you that is alot of help. I love coming here and getting all sorts of help. Appreciate it!!!:cheese:

rena
July 21st, 2011, 08:31 PM

Also, I've been doing a little S&D on the bad ends I find. I'm not sure if that's helping as well.

Its no cones for me, I don't know what it is about them, but my hair doesn't like them at all. The crispies come from old hair that is hmm...What I would describe as deader than dead? :p They almost feel synthetic. I went through a period when my hair just refused to grow because I didn't treat it as well as I do now, and that old hair is still on my head. Its like growing out a frayed rope. There's too much of it to trim off at once or I'll find myself very short, something a certain father of mine would reeeeaaaalllly harass me about. Sooo...

I'm glad to hear your success with going cone-free! I'm a solid CO washer right now for the summer and I just love that silky feeling it gives my new hair :cheese:.