PDA

View Full Version : Startin' from scratch

LissaJane
July 17th, 2011, 03:19 PM
What's up guys :) Haven't been on here in ages, due to a pretty much complete lack of internet at the school I'm currently attending/living at. Have missed all the great advice and general awesomeness on this forum.

So, come the second week of August, I've decided I'm going to cut my hair, completely, and then shave my head (donating the locks to a wig-making organisation for cancer patients) I feel the need to do this for a huge multitude of reasons, which I've been dwelling on for the past month or two, just wondering if anyone here's ever done this and could share their experience? I'm very nervous, as I'm finally at about my waist-line. Looking forward to documenting the growth, though and starting completely afresh.

Also, somewhat hoping that my hair will grow back thicker after the whole shaving thing, but was recently told that it won't be the case :( anyone wanna make me feel better and say otherwise? :)

anyways, I'm sure this has been done loads of times on this forum, I'm just excited/nervous and felt like putting it out there.
Hope everyone's healthy n' happy :)

RitaCeleste
July 17th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I'd cry my eyeballs out if I had my head shaved. My hair would grow straight up and require all kinds of styling. I just couldn't do it. If you decide you are really sure, I guess you do what do what will make you happy. Just be really sure because that sounds really drastic.

oktobergoud
July 17th, 2011, 03:47 PM
I have no experience, I did have a buzzcut several times and believe me: it is a pain to grow out! Not only that, it will take forever. Plus short hair is a lot of upkeep! You will need to wet your hair every morning, you don't want to know how I woke up like! :P
On the other hand, it's also easier and lighter of course :)

I'm don't know what your reasons are, but it's really drastical and, like I said, it will take forever to grow out! Me, personally, I didn't like how I looked with hardly any hair or bangs. Just make sure you do :)

jojo
July 17th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Its not something I could do and would advise against donating your hair, especially if its locks of love. There a scam, theres loads on here about them if you put it in search. Pantene does a better one.

From looking at your December photo where you are just past APL, id say you grow pretty fast. It took me 2 years to go from APL to waist so thats a good thing. Id definitely think long and hard; once its gone, its gone!

There are lots who have grown from shaved Boontown Rat and Igor being the two that come to mind, again try search I am sure you will get some good posts.

As for shaving making your hair thicker, I am afraid this is not true. The only time mine went thicker was once I got to all one length and a buzz cut will give you a multitude of layers at first.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

gthlvrmx
July 17th, 2011, 03:55 PM
I think it will grow back thicker :) I mean when you trim, the other shorter hairs catch up, so if you trim it all the way back, it should be thicker, assuming you get those pesky layers out of the way that start coming out later on.
An older member did it and grew her hair to her knees in 9 years :)

rusika1
July 17th, 2011, 08:30 PM
It won't grow back thicker; shaving doesn't magically give you more hair follicles or change your hair from fine to coarse. I think the myth started because cut hairs are blunt on the end and so they feel more bristly when growing out from skin level. Unfortunately, bristly does not equal greater density. Sorry.

There have been quite a few people on here who have shaved their heads for one reason or another. (Fresh start, supporting a loved one with cancer, just felt like it, it was the style at the time...)

There have also been some people on here who have shaved their heads before chemotherapy so the hair loss would be less traumatic. Their regrowth would be new growth, so it wouldn't have the blunt ends issue until they get it cut.

If the main reason you are cutting is to donate, you might want to consider getting a short bob instead of shaving. You might also consider donating to something that isn't Locks of Love unless you have a personal attachment to that organization.

growingpains
July 17th, 2011, 08:58 PM
I think there is the change it will grow back thicker if you take care of it well as breakage that creates thinning will no longer be a problem. I know if I bit the bullet and got rid of my damaged bits and cut to chin it'd grow back with twice as thick of a hemline. It's not that there would be more hairs, just more that reach my hem. But for me I'd rather deal with thinner ends and damage that starting new.

I had a pixie once and it was seriously horrible to grow out. I swear the mullet stage lasted a year.

But, if you are happy to do this, heck, it's only hair! Have fun and I hope you enjoy it.

Mesmerise
July 17th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Well the OP didn't say she was donating to Locks of Love, so as long as she's worked out that the organisation she's donating to will use the hair properly that's okay. I think it's also erroneous to call LOL "scammers". It is true that they do throw out hair, but that's generally because it's not hair that can be used to make wigs. It's also true that the wigs don't always go to kids with cancer... but so what? Kids who are bald for whatever reason (like alopecia which can be very traumatic especially if there's no idea when/if the hair will return) should be able to get a wig!

Anyway, I think it's a very game thing to do! I don't know that your hair will grow in thicker, because as others have said, shaving doens't change the number of hair follicles or thickness of the strands. However, if you do have thin hair due to hair loss in the past, or damage from breakage, the hair could grow back healthier and will thus be thicker because it won't have suffered from the same torments as the old hair! Although, if your hair is already healthy, virgin hair, it is unlikely that shaving it and starting again will change the condition at all.

rusika1
July 18th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Well the OP didn't say she was donating to Locks of Love, so as long as she's worked out that the organisation she's donating to will use the hair properly that's okay. I think it's also erroneous to call LOL "scammers". It is true that they do throw out hair, but that's generally because it's not hair that can be used to make wigs. It's also true that the wigs don't always go to kids with cancer... but so what? Kids who are bald for whatever reason (like alopecia which can be very traumatic especially if there's no idea when/if the hair will return) should be able to get a wig!

Anyway, I think it's a very game thing to do! I don't know that your hair will grow in thicker, because as others have said, shaving doens't change the number of hair follicles or thickness of the strands. However, if you do have thin hair due to hair loss in the past, or damage from breakage, the hair could grow back healthier and will thus be thicker because it won't have suffered from the same torments as the old hair! Although, if your hair is already healthy, virgin hair, it is unlikely that shaving it and starting again will change the condition at all.

I don't have as big a problem with hair donation as many LHC members do, but people in general have lots of misperceptions about LoL (this is not necessarily true of any other hair donation companies). Donating to LoL is a lot like signing some of those forwarded email petitions; it makes you feel good for having done something, but the results may not be what you expect.

Public perceptions vs reality:
1. Lol gives wigs to kids with cancer. false (twice!) LoL wigs are for children with permanent hairloss (not cancer patient); LoL charges for the wigs. (I don't have a huge problem with that; people tend to take better care of things that cost them money.)

2. All donated hair is used to make wigs. false. Lots of hair is thrown away as unusable (Perfectly reasonable, although they could re-donate to the oil spill cleanup company.). And here's the big problem LHC members have: They sell quite a bit of the donated hair. (Again, it's quite possible that's reasonable and helps with operating costs. I have no idea what kind of monetary donations they get.)

Bottom line for any charitable donations: Make sure the company's operating costs are a reasonable percentage of their total income. there are charity watchdog sites on the internet; when in doubt, check them out.

torrilin
July 18th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Also, somewhat hoping that my hair will grow back thicker after the whole shaving thing, but was recently told that it won't be the case :( anyone wanna make me feel better and say otherwise? :)

I've never shaved my head. But I've shaved plenty of other bits, and my hair does not grow back thicker there. It seems pretty unlikely to me that shaving would cause hair to regrow thicker, since thickness is largely due to genetics and nutrition.

My big concern in your position would be comfort. I really don't enjoy the growing stages from pixie to well past shoulder length. I've got various tricks for surviving, but it just isn't fun. My hair grows pretty fast, and even so... that's 2-3 YEARS of frustrating hair. Not something I'd do on a whim for sure. If you've had short hair before and do not mind it, no big deal. But if you've never had short hair before, it might be a bit of a shock.

Amara
July 18th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Have you had short hair before? If so you'll know what you're in for, styling-wise and growing-out-wise.

Also have you considered the social consequences of a shaved head? For some people, the funny looks are fun and wonderful. For others, that kind of attention can wreak havoc with your self esteem. It's only for a short time, but it's no fun to go through that if you're not prepared.

You said you're considering this for a huge multitude of reasons, so I assume you've put some thought into it and have good cause(s).

jojo
July 18th, 2011, 06:38 PM

nobody said she was! they are scammers they con people out of there hair and dont use it as promised, where i come from thats a con!

jojo
July 18th, 2011, 06:41 PM
I don't have as big a problem with hair donation as many LHC members do, but people in general have lots of misperceptions about LoL (this is not necessarily true of any other hair donation companies). Donating to LoL is a lot like signing some of those forwarded email petitions; it makes you feel good for having done something, but the results may not be what you expect.

Public perceptions vs reality:
1. Lol gives wigs to kids with cancer. false (twice!) LoL wigs are for children with permanent hairloss (not cancer patient); LoL charges for the wigs. (I don't have a huge problem with that; people tend to take better care of things that cost them money.)

2. All donated hair is used to make wigs. false. Lots of hair is thrown away as unusable (Perfectly reasonable, although they could re-donate to the oil spill cleanup company.). And here's the big problem LHC members have: They sell quite a bit of the donated hair. (Again, it's quite possible that's reasonable and helps with operating costs. I have no idea what kind of monetary donations they get.)

Bottom line for any charitable donations: Make sure the company's operating costs are a reasonable percentage of their total income. there are charity watchdog sites on the internet; when in doubt, check them out.

agreed. My problem isnt with the donating as in my original post I suggested pantene as an alternative. But I do have a problem when people are not informed properly of how "some" organisations work.

I sure do wish we had a like button, id have pressed it in this instance!