PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma

GreenEyedKat
July 17th, 2011, 11:59 AM
I had originally had a whole long story typed up of the journey my hair has been on, but I accidentally exited the window and lost the whole thing! :(

So long story short: my hair is driving me crazy, I need to know what to do.

I bleached it a ton and then dyed it which resulted in pink hair.
I heard about henna and through researching it I found LHC. Since finding LHC I started CO washing and my hair is getting better, more manageable, softer, even starting to get it curl back as apposed to just being frizzy....

My question is, what would anyone here recommend? Let it alone? Dye it? Henna? Cut it?

Any, and I mean ANY advice is welcome!!!

I am also going to include a pic of my hair.
http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac178/Kajelynn/My%20hair/pinkhairresize.jpg?t=1310925530

Madora
July 17th, 2011, 12:16 PM
I'd recommend letting it revert to its normal color, cutting off all the damage (or as much as possible), then being as gentle to it as possible as you grow it out..i.e. no blow drying, no chemicals, no straightening, no hot curlers. AIR DRY ONLY!

Using a silk pillowcase or night cap
Doing trims every so often
Wearing your hair up as much as possible to protect the fragile ends
Using a wide tooth comb
Brushing daily with a pure boar bristle brush (no nylon!)
Always detangle your hair BEFORE brushing
Brushing correctly and SLOWLY!!
Never brushing hair when it is wet!
Detangling your hair when it is full of conditioner, NOT when it is dry!
Using hair friendly products (the Articles section has reviews from members on what worked for them..or did not)
Eating healthy and drinking plenty of water
Exercising moderately
Taking supplements--but easy does it! Don't overdo it.
Using oils for your hair (the ends, in particular)
EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) for restoring shine, softness and incredible slip
Hair massage
And tons of other things.
Above all - and the hardest thing to deal with - have patience!! Nearly everyone here has had to cope with hair problems of one sort or another. I'm sure you'll find others who will be more than glad to help you with your hair questions! Good luck!

Fairlight63
July 17th, 2011, 12:17 PM
My opinion: is that you are doing too much to your hair I think that you should leave it alone on coloring it for a while (until your roots start to drive you crazy), then do 1 last coloring to your put your hair as close to your natural color as you can, maybe go to a salon & have it done if you can afford it.

Right now: I would deep condition it & get it healthy as you can. Quit the hot appliances if used, no perms & anything that is damaging to the hair.
Find out how to do different buns or French twist & wear your hair up for a while. Then trim ( 1/4 in.) your hair every 2 or 3 months to cut off the damage.

GreenEyedKat
July 17th, 2011, 12:27 PM
I'd recommend letting it revert to its normal color, cutting off all the damage (or as much as possible), then being as gentle to it as possible as you grow it out..i.e. no blow drying, no chemicals, no straightening, no hot curlers. AIR DRY ONLY!

Using a silk pillowcase or night cap
Doing trims every so often
Wearing your hair up as much as possible to protect the fragile ends
Using a wide tooth comb
Brushing daily with a pure boar bristle brush (no nylon!)
Always detangle your hair BEFORE brushing
Brushing correctly and SLOWLY!!
Never brushing hair when it is wet!
Detangling your hair when it is full of conditioner, NOT when it is dry!
Using hair friendly products (the Articles section has reviews from members on what worked for them..or did not)
Eating healthy and drinking plenty of water
Exercising moderately
Taking supplements--but easy does it! Don't overdo it.
Using oils for your hair (the ends, in particular)
EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) for restoring shine, softness and incredible slip
Hair massage
And tons of other things.
Above all - and the hardest thing to deal with - have patience!! Nearly everyone here has had to cope with hair problems of one sort or another. I'm sure you'll find others who will be more than glad to help you with your hair questions! Good luck!

That is an INCREDIBLE amount of insight! I am completely thankful for it too!!! Thank you Madora!

My opinion: is that you are doing too much to your hair I think that you should leave it alone on coloring it for a while (until your roots start to drive you crazy), then do 1 last coloring to your put your hair as close to your natural color as you can, maybe go to a salon & have it done if you can afford it.

Right now: I would deep condition it & get it healthy as you can. Quit the hot appliances if used, no perms & anything that is damaging to the hair.
Find out how to do different buns or French twist & wear your hair up for a while. Then trim ( 1/4 in.) your hair every 2 or 3 months to cut off the damage.

Fairlight, I completely agree. I have done way too much to my hair and way to fast. I used to have ringlet curls when my hair dried on it's own. I've completely destroyed them and miss them! Also, I wear my hair up every single day, I cannot stand having it free because it gets too hot and tangled, the only time it's down is for washing, brushing and drying.
I have to admit, I need some new hair do's but I am illiterate when it comes to that. Buns and simple braids here. Mostly buns...:o

Not dying my hair is no problem, the roots don't bother me, the actual color is bugging me because I would love a more natural color again. I can stand it though.
So looks like I am going to leave it be on dying etc. and I am not cutting until my natural color, grays and all, are where I want my hem to be!

LunaMoon
July 17th, 2011, 12:34 PM
How about some aphogee treatment?
The aphogee 2 steps treatment followed the lots of moisturizing treatments is my advice. This is a very very strong protein hair treatment and is good to search info about it and look at some videos on youtube to learn how to use it. But works wonders! this stuff can fix very very damaged hair! After the protein treatment you can color again.
Also, a silk pillowcase as Madora recommend can save your hair from breaking.

GreenEyedKat
July 17th, 2011, 12:36 PM
The aphogee 2 steps treatment followed the lots of moisturizing treatments is my advice. This is a very very strong protein hair treatment and is good to search info about it and look at some videos on youtube to learn how to use it. But works wonders! this stuff can fix very very damaged hair! After the protein treatment you can color again.

Thank you, LunaMoon!!! *runs off to google aphogee*:D

Keepitgrowing29
July 17th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Hi GreenEyedKat! In my opinion Henna should only be used to condition and add highlights to your natural hair color. If I may I would suggest that you focus on nurturing and gently caring for your hair to improve condition. If you really can't stand to grow the color out then cut it and start over. : D Hope this helps.

LunaMoon
July 17th, 2011, 12:40 PM
There are 2 protein treatments from aphogee: a 2 minutes keratin reconstructor (medium power) and the hardcore 2 steps aphogee. Look at the hardcore aphogee, and if you can, buy the 2 minutes to use every week (once a week) between hardcore treatments .The hardcore you can use just once every 6 weeks.

lapushka
July 17th, 2011, 12:57 PM
I too would try and get back to a more natural color (saves you from bleaching and major upkeep). You could have a hair stylist get it back to your original color (don't experiment yourself if you haven't colored often). If you like red or brown tones (indigo and bleaching do not mix), you could experiment with henna. It is experimenting, though, and henna is very permanent, so make sure you completely read up on it first (there's plenty of threads on the forum for you to read on the subject).

Arya
July 17th, 2011, 01:00 PM
well why don't you tell us what your ideal is?

I'd recommend for now moisturizing the bejezus out of it. Have you done the protein/moisture test? You should take a wet hair and stretch it. If it stretches and stretches before snapping, or your hair has a gummy texture to it, your hair lacks protein. If your wet hair snaps without stretching at all, and feels brittle it needs moisture. Right now I'd suggest mixing up an egg and sitting with it on your hair for half an hour before washing it out with cool water (not hot! You don't want to cook it in your hair!), because it's a good mix of moisturizing and adds protein.

Cut as many damaging activities out as you can stand. That includes:
rough brushing (you should start from the bottom and work your way up slowly)
hair ties with metal bits
blow drying, flat irons, bleach, dye
shampoos with SLS
mounding your hair on top of your head in the shower to work up a lather (that tangles your hair)
scrubbing your head with a towel to dry, twisting your hair to wring it out or twisting it in a towel to dry it (that puts tension on the strands, some people just plop it in an old t-shirt to let it dry)
leaving it loose when you sleep (it should be in a protective style, like a bun or braid)
consider using henna for the added strength many people finds it lends to hair

To grow out the damage quicker consider:
taking vitamins with biotin
drinking lots of water and getting good nutrition
exercising daily
engaging in one of our crazy hair experiments (putting castor oil, miconazole nitrate, or rooibos tea on your scalp to encourage hair growth)
regular trims, dusting, and search and destroy missions

Hope this gives you something to think about!

GreenEyedKat
July 17th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Thank you all so much for the tips! You gals rock!!!! A lot of the stuff mentioned, in terms of drying, brushing, putting my hair up, etc I do already. Some of the others, like egg on the head, aphogee, oiling, the crazy hair experiments ( per Arya) I had no clue about!!!! Thanks again!!!!

LaceyNg
July 17th, 2011, 03:22 PM
i'd like to 2nd what Arya said about the moisture vs protein test. b/c giving your hair protein if it really just needs tons of moisture, will make it even more dry and brittle. i learned the hard way that my hair tends to not like protein, in favor of moisture instead.

as far as moisturizing products go, i LOVE Garnier 3 minute undo (in a green tube, has little bead things in it). i usually leave it on longer than 3 moniues though :) it has no proteins, and no cones, so it doesnt coat your hair, the moisture actually goes INTO your hair.

and you might want to consider Conditioner Only washing. i found that it helped my hair a LOT with being too dry and frizzy.

and as others have said, yeah, you could look into the henna. i'd save up some hair from combs, the drain, etc, to test it out on, so you know what color you're going to get before you actually do the hair still on your head :D

and keep us updated! we're a curious bunch!

GreenEyedKat
July 17th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Ok so I tried the protein/moisture test and am just as confused as I was. Some of my hair just breaks right there and some stretches. I tried a conditioner of egg, mayo, a bit of honey, and yogurt. I left it on for almost an hour, my hair felt so soft with it on.

I rinsed with very luke warm water and it immediately went back to feeling dry as heck, maybe even more so. I am starting to wonder if it is because the pink hair coloring is semi-permanent and more and more comes out if my hair even gets wet.
Maybe my hair really just needs moisture, which the more I think about how dried out it felt after the egg, it makes a bit of sense.

No clue, I've even thought about canola oil since I don't have EVOO, but don't know too much about using that.

I guess I need to start a grocery list.
I looked around at others who have had bleached hair and hennaed over it. The results don't look too bad and at least then I could get back to a more normal hair color. I may just have to invest in some BAQ and strand test!!

Will definitely keep ya'll posted and I think I am going to have to try that Garnier 3 minute! Thanks for the tip on that, LaceyNg! I was wondering about condish with no cones!! Time to moisturize!!!! LOL

LunaMoon
July 18th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Ok so I tried the protein/moisture test and am just as confused as I was. Some of my hair just breaks right there and some stretches. I tried a conditioner of egg, mayo, a bit of honey, and yogurt. I left it on for almost an hour, my hair felt so soft with it on.

I rinsed with very luke warm water and it immediately went back to feeling dry as heck, maybe even more so. I am starting to wonder if it is because the pink hair coloring is semi-permanent and more and more comes out if my hair even gets wet.
Maybe my hair really just needs moisture, which the more I think about how dried out it felt after the egg, it makes a bit of sense.

No clue, I've even thought about canola oil since I don't have EVOO, but don't know too much about using that.

I guess I need to start a grocery list.
I looked around at others who have had bleached hair and hennaed over it. The results don't look too bad and at least then I could get back to a more normal hair color. I may just have to invest in some BAQ and strand test!!

Will definitely keep ya'll posted and I think I am going to have to try that Garnier 3 minute! Thanks for the tip on that, LaceyNg! I was wondering about condish with no cones!! Time to moisturize!!!! LOL

Hair damaged from bleach need protein. If you are losing your curls pattern I can tell you need protein, yes, protein don't make your hair beautiful, so maybe you will think "your hair doesn't like protein". You need a good moisturizer for days to balance it. going no cones right now will dry out your hair more, but it is your hair. You can go "Au naturel" and put eggs, teas, henna, etc. I love it too but my hair is not damaged anymore. But if you want to reconstruct your hair you have to use protein (eggs will put protein on the hair, aphogee inside your hair - you can choose what you prefer). I know people think it is nonsense because protein makes hair dry at first, so "its bad'. hair is 98% protein. You strip the proteins out of your hair bleaching it. if you are going to moisturize with natural stuff you have to repeat several days. If you want quick results, buy a deep conditioner moisturizer to use.
My hair hates the protein from eggs, but loves the 2 minutes aphogee.

sycamoreboutiqu
July 18th, 2011, 12:22 AM
What about Henna glosses ?

That would be the best of both, a bit of henna to tame the pink tones and a good 2 hour conditioning session.

That would be my suggestion. You can start with a very small amount of henna and work up to the amount that gives you enough color to make a difference.

Henna Gloss = A small amount of henna in a lot of conditioner left on the hair for a few hours. Kind of semi-permanent but could leave permanent color.

Toadstool
July 18th, 2011, 12:54 AM
I found this article very helpful
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79

GreenEyedKat
July 18th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Hair damaged from bleach need protein. If you are losing your curls pattern I can tell you need protein, yes, protein don't make your hair beautiful, so maybe you will think "your hair doesn't like protein". You need a good moisturizer for days to balance it. going no cones right now will dry out your hair more, but it is your hair. You can go "Au naturel" and put eggs, teas, henna, etc. I love it too but my hair is not damaged anymore. But if you want to reconstruct your hair you have to use protein (eggs will put protein on the hair, aphogee inside your hair - you can choose what you prefer). I know people think it is nonsense because protein makes hair dry at first, so "its bad'. hair is 98% protein. You strip the proteins out of your hair bleaching it. if you are going to moisturize with natural stuff you have to repeat several days. If you want quick results, buy a deep conditioner moisturizer to use.
My hair hates the protein from eggs, but loves the 2 minutes aphogee.

Ok well now that I know that! :) I shall continue protein and grab some hardcore condish. With that being said. What kind with cones would be recommended. At this point I think I should change my routine less while trying to pump protein and moisture back into it. Thanks for the info!!!

What about Henna glosses ?

That would be the best of both, a bit of henna to tame the pink tones and a good 2 hour conditioning session.

That would be my suggestion. You can start with a very small amount of henna and work up to the amount that gives you enough color to make a difference.

Henna Gloss = A small amount of henna in a lot of conditioner left on the hair for a few hours. Kind of semi-permanent but could leave permanent color.

Now I had't thought of that. I hadn't researched the glosses as much. This could be a good thing to do before actually doing a full on henna, which I eventually DO intend to do. Thanks!!!

I found this article very helpful
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79

Awesome article!!! Thank you so much!! This will definitely help me understand things a bit better!!!

LunaMoon
July 18th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Hi GreenEyedKat! Hope you are doing well with your hair!
About cones, what I do is never use a product that have a cone on the top of the list, but if is on the botton is ok for my hair. But depends what your hair likes. You will a lot in your plate right now, so go slowly with all this info, and try to moisturize well your hair, because you already did a protein treatment with the egg (you can use protein just few times a month). Keep it simple, moisturize well for 2 or 3 weeks and try some protein if your hair is needing. If you are used to cones, keep using, if you are cone free, good too.

GreenEyedKat
July 18th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Hi GreenEyedKat! Hope you are doing well with your hair!
About cones, what I do is never use a product that have a cone on the top of the list, but if is on the botton is ok for my hair. But depends what your hair likes. You will a lot in your plate right now, so go slowly with all this info, and try to moisturize well your hair, because you already did a protein treatment with the egg (you can use protein just few times a month). Keep it simple, moisturize well for 2 or 3 weeks and try some protein if your hair is needing. If you are used to cones, keep using, if you are cone free, good too.

Ok this is great info! Thank you again , LunaMoon! Ok so since I've done the protein, it's time to moisturize. I have been using a deep condish by Dove that is supposed to repair damage and I ended up using my last of it for my hair after I had done the protein treatment last night. It really felt like it did nothing, my hair is dry and crunchy, particularly the ends.

Just remembered I might still have my herbal essence hydration condish. Might have to dig that out for today. Will keep you all posted!

Calaelen
July 18th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Stylist here. First of all, what is your natural colour? and what colour do you want to achieve?

Do you want henna red hair until you can grow to whatever your natural colour is? Do you want to keep your hair coloured permanently, or do you want to eventually be all natural?

I have several ideas with what to do to help immensely, but I need the answers to those questions first.

Also, I wouldn't try anything else with your hair just yet..I might just be able to save it....lol

GreenEyedKat
July 18th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Stylist here. First of all, what is your natural colour? and what colour do you want to achieve?

Do you want henna red hair until you can grow to whatever your natural colour is? Do you want to keep your hair coloured permanently, or do you want to eventually be all natural?

I have several ideas with what to do to help immensely, but I need the answers to those questions first.

Also, I wouldn't try anything else with your hair just yet..I might just be able to save it....lol

Hiya! First off, thank you for hopping on here! :)

Ok to start off, my hair is a dark brown. I'll post a pic of the root color.

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac178/Kajelynn/My%20hair/IMAG0578.jpg?t=1311016950 Under indoor florescent light.

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac178/Kajelynn/My%20hair/IMAG0577.jpg?t=1311016757 Sunlight.

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac178/Kajelynn/My%20hair/IMAG0576.jpg?t=1311016561 Indoor, camera flash.

Color I want to achieve... some form of auburn via henna. (if that is possible.) I also do not mind having to do upkeep to maintain the color or mind if it's only dark brown hair with auburn highlights, in the sun.

I am vowing to myself that I am never using an unnatural hair dye again. About the only thing I will put on my hair from now on is henna. I've decided that one.

I'm afraid that I may have to dye it one last time to a more natural color to find a job. This scares me because I do NOT want to ever use synthetic dye again.

Calaelen
July 18th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Okay, so achieving a natural looking auburn easy as pie...You will need to find a good BAQ henna, and online is your best source for this. Do your research, some stain darker than others.

Now for the bad news, you will need to colour you hair one last time with over the counter colour, and I would go for a dark brown. One thing that not many non-stylists know is that darker colour boxed dyes use either 10 or in some cases, Feria...20 volume peroxide to oxidize the colour, while lighter colours, blondes, and bleach use 30 or even 40 and 50 volume peroxide...very very bad stuff.

When you use bleach as you have stated you have, you completely strip the cortex of any pigment, and all other matter of healthy hair stuff, leaving it weak, brittle, and sometimes even like cotton candy. using even a chemical dye to get something back into your hair will help strengthen it up giving it a base so to speak, we call this a filler. You can choose whichever dark shade you'd like, but try to see if you can find out what level peroxide they're using, level 10 would be ideal. the good news is that oddly using this much darker colour will give some strength to your hair, I promise :

If you can get into Sally Beauty Supply they have many different colour's where you can pick you shade and the peroxide separately. Alternately, Shoppers Drug Mart if you're in Canada, has a brand that comes in a red box where you choose your colour and developer separately as well, sorry I don't remember the name.

Worst case just go with a trusted store brand in a darker shade than you think you'll need get a permanent colour and not the ammonia free brands. once you've done that and let it settle for a week or so feel free to henna it up, just make sure you use pure henna.

If you do this you will find the texture of your hair greatly improves as your putting something on the inside of your hair with the synthetic colour, and coating it on the outside with the henna, then I recommend coconut oil, above anything else to baby your hair, use only that for protein, and then baby your hair like heck with moisture treatment and conditioner :)

Good Luck!!

GreenEyedKat
July 18th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Okay, so achieving a natural looking auburn easy as pie...You will need to find a good BAQ henna, and online is your best source for this. Do your research, some stain darker than others.

Now for the bad news, you will need to colour you hair one last time with over the counter colour, and I would go for a dark brown. One thing that not many non-stylists know is that darker colour boxed dyes use either 10 or in some cases, Feria...20 volume peroxide to oxidize the colour, while lighter colours, blondes, and bleach use 30 or even 40 and 50 volume peroxide...very very bad stuff.

When you use bleach as you have stated you have, you completely strip the cortex of any pigment, and all other matter of healthy hair stuff, leaving it weak, brittle, and sometimes even like cotton candy. using even a chemical dye to get something back into your hair will help strengthen it up giving it a base so to speak, we call this a filler. You can choose whichever dark shade you'd like, but try to see if you can find out what level peroxide they're using, level 10 would be ideal. the good news is that oddly using this much darker colour will give some strength to your hair, I promise :

If you can get into Sally Beauty Supply they have many different colour's where you can pick you shade and the peroxide separately. Alternately, Shoppers Drug Mart if you're in Canada, has a brand that comes in a red box where you choose your colour and developer separately as well, sorry I don't remember the name.

Worst case just go with a trusted store brand in a darker shade than you think you'll need get a permanent colour and not the ammonia free brands. once you've done that and let it settle for a week or so feel free to henna it up, just make sure you use pure henna.

If you do this you will find the texture of your hair greatly improves as your putting something on the inside of your hair with the synthetic colour, and coating it on the outside with the henna, then I recommend coconut oil, above anything else to baby your hair, use only that for protein, and then baby your hair like heck with moisture treatment and conditioner :)

Good Luck!!

Ok I was kind of afraid of that, but think I knew it was coming to that. I also remember hearing somewhere that after bleaching dying it a darker color puts something back into your hair. Thank you very much Calaelen!

I just hope that my hair gets manageable eventually! I don't care how long this takes!!!

whitestiletto
July 18th, 2011, 04:46 PM
If you don't mind it being a little darker while you're growing the color out, a henna treatment might improve the quality a lot, but the color is permanent.

You could do cassia treatments as much as you want though, because cassia is faint yellow and completely fades out over time. Cassia is deep-conditioning.

whitestiletto
July 18th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Just saw the post above about you maybe chemical dying it again to fix it to the right color. If you do this, PLEASE do a coconut oil pre-treatment which is shown to prevent further damage! There is a long thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10495&page=2) on LHC about this. Completely coat all your dry hairs with coconut oil, 1-2 hours before you dye. If you're going to a salon, still do it, and tell the hairdresser the truth, that the chelating compounds in coconut oil sequester iron and prevent damage from radicals produced by the peroxide.

GreenEyedKat
July 18th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Just saw the post above about you maybe chemical dying it again to fix it to the right color. If you do this, PLEASE do a coconut oil pre-treatment which is shown to prevent further damage! There is a long thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10495&page=2) on LHC about this. Completely coat all your dry hairs with coconut oil, 1-2 hours before you dye. If you're going to a salon, still do it, and tell the hairdresser the truth, that the chelating compounds in coconut oil sequester iron and prevent damage from radicals produced by the peroxide.

Excellent advice! Thank you. I am going to wait a bit before doing it to see if any other advice pops up! Thanks, whitestiletto!

jojo
July 19th, 2011, 08:49 AM
How about trying a colour opps to try to remove some of the colour, ive managed to remove hendigo (which is normally very hard, almost impossible to shift) with Colour B4 which is the UK version of colour opps. Then id advice SMT's after every wash, your hair looks incredibly dry and crying out for moisture, also some protein treatments would really benefit your hair, make sure to do a deep moisture treatment straight after.

GreenEyedKat
July 19th, 2011, 06:14 PM
How about trying a colour opps to try to remove some of the colour, ive managed to remove hendigo (which is normally very hard, almost impossible to shift) with Colour B4 which is the UK version of colour opps. Then id advice SMT's after every wash, your hair looks incredibly dry and crying out for moisture, also some protein treatments would really benefit your hair, make sure to do a deep moisture treatment straight after.

I thought about that, but it would only take the pink out. It cannot remove bleach since bleach already removed stoof. Bleh, if that even made sense? :D

I am currently doing a coconut oil treatment and I had done a egg treatment for protein the other day which made my hair feel worse but after using some hydrating poo and condish it made my hair feel a LOT better. Hoping this coconut oil thing will help, but idk.....

After that, I'm afraid I have to dye it....*GULP* I am going with a nice dark brown to match my natural color so I can have a job. After that I am completely done with synth dyes!!!! NO MORE!!!!!!! Will update later!

McFearless
July 19th, 2011, 06:19 PM
I like the colour. Enjoy it and take care of it because I don't think you want to bleach the crap out of it again. I think it would look really cool once your hair grows out and you have the pink on the ends. Once the new growth has reached a stage you are comfortable with like chin or shoulder you can do a big chop, or small trims every month until the pink is gone. No matter what be patient.

GreenEyedKat
July 19th, 2011, 07:01 PM
I like the colour. Enjoy it and take care of it because I don't think you want to bleach the crap out of it again. I think it would look really cool once your hair grows out and you have the pink on the ends. Once the new growth has reached a stage you are comfortable with like chin or shoulder you can do a big chop, or small trims every month until the pink is gone. No matter what be patient.

Yes I really like the color too, but unfortunately I live in a small town and finding jobs would be impossible with it! :(

Saddening but alas, what else can I do?

Cal, NOT ammonia free? So tje kind with ammonia? I'll say I am a tad confused on that one. What's the difference? I mean besides one having ammonia and one not? :p

Calaelen
July 19th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Hi again. I don't recommend the coconut pre-oil in this case(before you do the filler colour). coconut oil penetrates the hair,and would stop some of the colour from filling in your hair. What you need is that filler pigment that the darker colour will give you. In this case there will not be too much damage with the much lower peroxide that goes with a dark colour. After you've hennaed, is when I recommend the coconut oil treatments.

GreenEyedKat
July 19th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Hi again. I don't recommend the coconut pre-oil in this case(before you do the filler colour). coconut oil penetrates the hair,and would stop some of the colour from filling in your hair. What you need is that filler pigment that the darker colour will give you. In this case there will not be too much damage with the much lower peroxide that goes with a dark colour. After you've hennaed, is when I recommend the coconut oil treatments.

Okies. Would an ACV rinse be alright?:confused:

jojo
July 20th, 2011, 04:22 PM
I thought about that, but it would only take the pink out. It cannot remove bleach since bleach already removed stoof. Bleh, if that even made sense? :D

I am currently doing a coconut oil treatment and I had done a egg treatment for protein the other day which made my hair feel worse but after using some hydrating poo and condish it made my hair feel a LOT better. Hoping this coconut oil thing will help, but idk.....

After that, I'm afraid I have to dye it....*GULP* I am going with a nice dark brown to match my natural color so I can have a job. After that I am completely done with synth dyes!!!! NO MORE!!!!!!! Will update later!

you could always do a henna after, though you would have to do a few unless you want it really bright orange. There was a member who hennaered bleached hair to help with damage, her hair turned out great and the henna helped with damage. But think carefully before doing, its very hard to get out.

GreenEyedKat
July 20th, 2011, 04:34 PM
OK I dyed my hair with Garnier Nutrisse and the color looks a bit dark, but oh my word, my hair is extremely soft! The conditioner was a shea, avacado, olive kind and it made my hair feel wonderful!
I am going to be waiting a few weeks and then maybe attempt to get some henna. I have heard a lot about jamila henna and yemeni, but I am not too sure the difference between the two.
I shall look around for some comparisons in the forums etc.

Thank you all for your help!!

GreenEyedKat
July 25th, 2011, 07:54 AM
I have found out that I love oils! LOL
I mixed a tbs of coconut oil with 1/4 cup EVOO and about a tsp of tea tree oil (not the essential kind, the Hollywood beauty kind) heated it for thirty seconds in a glass cup then took it to the bathroom and dipped my fingers in and coated my hair.
I even massaged it in my scalp.
When I was done coating from root to tip, I dip the tips of my hair in the remaining oil and then gently pressed out excess back into the cup with my palms.
I put a plastic bag on my head and then left it for around 2-3 hours.
When I rinsed it out, I used lukewarm water and rinsed very well then I CO washed with avacado,olive,and shea oil condish (amazing stuff! It's magic even!)
Rinsed with colder water and my hair is so soft!!! I mean amazingly soft! Even the ends which were completely horrible!!!
I am in complete awe!

The Hollywood Beauty tea tree oil has the following ingredient list:
Soybean oil, Tea Tree oil, Safflower oil, Vitamin E, Carrot extract, Aloe Vera extract, Rose Hip oil, Peanut oil, Sweet Almond oil, four kinds of parabens (which most people avoid, but at this point I am going to start transitioning into all natural, just not plunge in), and two dyes one red and one yellow which I am sure has a slew of bad chemicals.

I am hoping that the last ingredients are not in large quantities as they are toward the end of the list and I basically live off of synthetic crud right now anyway.

Anywho, thought I would share that!

LaceyNg
October 21st, 2011, 08:39 AM
hey GreenEyedKat!

just checking in, how's your hair now? :)

heidi w.
October 21st, 2011, 09:34 AM
OH NO! Although I think some people happen to look good in colors such as pink or torquoise, which I saw Lady Gaga sporting (but one wonders that it's a wig?)

Well, it seems to me your hair is frizzy because it's a bit dried out. (I'm being as polite and considerate as I can here.) I think you need to locate a color protect conditioner and shampoo. I think you need a hefty conditioning session, likely combined with an oiling when air dried.

I do not recommend doing any clarifying whatsoever, not for quite some time. This strips the hair nude of all moisture.

I recommend you use a wide-toothed comb to detangle and organize your hair.

I second wearing it up, if you can, as you endeavor to head toward your original color. This is a long-term project, as in perhaps a year or so.

I recommend you back away from any further coloring for a while--at least on your own. You could consider coloring your hair back to a "normal" color, but if you do, I strongly, strongly advocate saving and spending money to work with a qualified and very experienced professional colorist and stylist (separate jobs). Most stylists are taught about color, but coloring to me is so much about chemistry, and frankly, the pickle you're in demands the advice of a professional colorist. I would not recommend skipping this step if you decide to color your way back to natural for an interim solution. I don't know if you need to go to work or look a certain way for work, for example.

It could be a little while just to discover a professional colorist, and if you take on this task, I recommend you interview each colorist before making any decisions to do anything with your hair. Because at this point, if any stylist makes a mistake, you're looking at severe damage and hair falling out. Make sure you know the products you used, very specifically; and the timeline. That is vital, vital information. Most know not to color and perm in a certain timeline near each other because hair could then burn off and break off. Bad news that.

But yeah, if you need to color for an interim period, consult with a professional colorist, not just any ole hairstylist. And find an older person who has a lot of experience and is over the need to make a statement and wave their flag of successes. Older, more experienced people tend to be over all that personal need; and tend to be more focused on the client's need.

Watch what you wear in the head. Consider wearing a scarf under knit caps, for example.

Madora's advice is pretty spot on. I don't know where you live. Perhaps you live near a long hair George Michael salon which is located in Ohio, New York and Beverly Hills. Yes, it costs money, but it could be a positive experience nevertheless. And be sure to tip well! They consult with you before touching your hair. They're very good. I went to the New York Madora salon in Manhattan. A terrific experience.

You have your work cut out for you, honey. I'm terribly sorry you're going through all this. Well, I guess you now know not to dye and re-dye.

I wish you all the very best,
heidi w.

heidi w.
October 21st, 2011, 09:46 AM

According to the above, this concerns protein treatment. A colorist can help you with assessing if you need protein treatments. Protein is dicey. I would really avoid doing this kind of treatment UNLESS you understand the porous condition of your hair. Too much protein and your hair could suddenly erupt and begin breaking off in droves.

I think you would be wise to not generally follow all this advice on LHC and search instead for an experienced, and qualified colorist to help you out.

I also recommend, personally, at this juncture, against Henna. Henna apparently comes in different forms. And salon stylists are taught to not use henna because it eventually tends to seal the hair in a way that the uptake of conditioner doesn't work, and your hair needs a lot of conditioning.

If you ever want to learn more about Henna, allow me to recommend visiting the free website The Long Hair Loom. A lot of folks over there Henna and know a lot about it. Do not enter into this lightly. Really do your homework, and make sure you know what you're doing. There apparently are Henna threads here on LHC, but I can't point you to any. There may be an Article on the subject, which might help.

The final recommendation I have for you is to not be knee-jerk reactionary; instead, do some homework and be more deliberate, and most of all, patient. The last thing you want is hair breaking off or some such outcome.

Collect information, and then make decisions, and don't let friends influence your choices.

Good Luck,
heidi w.

PS It seems you've responded throughout this thread, and I tend to respond to the original post as a matter of habit. I'm going to look through the thread and see other posts from you. If I noticed properly, it seems you may have colored your hair again, already.

spidermom
October 21st, 2011, 09:52 AM
Heidi, this was an old thread.

heidi w.
October 21st, 2011, 10:18 AM
Le Ooops! I once again forgot to look at the date! Oh well. Thanks, SpiderMom. I wish some threads locked down after a certain timeframe of length.

heidi w.