PDA

View Full Version : Thin my hair?

mrs.bad85
July 16th, 2011, 09:08 PM
I was talking to a friend the other night and I mentioned that I was growing my hair out (APL now working towards BSL) and I have thick curly hair only now that I am wearing it in a bun or a braid all the time it is more wavey than curly and she went on to say how she has her hair thinned and that it is better for thick curly hair to be thinned.

I am weary of this due to past experiences with layers and I don't want to sacrifice good length for curls.

Any advice is good ^_^

Mesmerise
July 16th, 2011, 09:13 PM
It isn't "better" for it to be thinned, unless you prefer it that way!

Some people with thick hair like to have their hair thinned because it's lighter and more manageable, but if you're happy with your hair the way it is then embrace it!

Cereus
July 16th, 2011, 09:16 PM
It seems such a shame to 'thin' hair. As it grows the weight helps pull it down. I'm not sure how thick and curly your hair is but I wouldn't thin it, just let it grow.

Anje
July 16th, 2011, 09:18 PM
My hair's not thick enough that anyone's suggested thinning it, but as I understand it, the regrowth is rather awful.

If you can handle it, grow it all. Added length will help control the triangle-head thing.

xoerincolleen
July 16th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I had my hair thinned once before and it was awful. Mine isn't curly, and it just looked weird for a few months. Don't do it unless you are truly unhappy with your thickness.

gthlvrmx
July 16th, 2011, 10:01 PM
It's not worth it, from my experience. A good tip is to not listen to what other people say unless they REALLY know what they are talking about and are there to help YOU BENEFIT with your hair. Thinning my curly hair just didn't work, the curls got curlier and it looked even bigger on me, all the layers are not worth it when you are trying to wear updo's.
Does your friend have thick curly hair? Does she know your hair better than you do? Just a few questions to think about before considering others opinions. If you feel up to it because you really want to do it, shoot for it. It's your hair :)

littlenvy
July 16th, 2011, 10:07 PM
There is no reason for anyone to thin out their hair. I would LOVE to have hair that thick or even half as thick as yours. :)

However; from what I read of thick hair people is that sometimes thickness and curl will create the triangle look pass APL. So a lot of times thick hair looks better in U or V shape hemline instead of a straight cut. That's all. No need for thinning. :)