PDA

View Full Version : Should you cut tapered ends off?

sakuramoon08
July 16th, 2011, 02:32 PM
I get tapered ends on little baby hairs and such, should you cut them off so that they keep growing? I would really like to know, thanks. :)

lapushka
July 16th, 2011, 02:37 PM
If I were you, I'd leave them alone. They're baby hairs, not awfully uneven terminal length. Besides, cutting the ends won't make those hairs grow more.

Wavelin
July 16th, 2011, 02:41 PM
How would cutting the hairs end off, change how its growing? The part of the hair we see is dead material, and it has no possible connection to growth time or rate.

I'm with you on the baby hairs though! But I think it's hard to know if it's just old "hairline damage" from elastics and such or actual baby hairs. Most of them are tapered and I thought that was how all hair looks like before it's been cut? It doesn't grow out with that "cut off" look, right?

jojo
July 16th, 2011, 02:41 PM
It depends on what look your after, if you like the look of tapered ends or fairy tales as we call them on here; then leave them. Your hair will grow regardless. If you like blunt ends then just micro trim them.

Anje
July 16th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Why would cutting a hair make it grow?

silverjen
July 16th, 2011, 04:21 PM
I've wondered whether the taper on baby hairs reduces the chance of split ends. I have no idea whether it would or not--it's just an idea that popped into my head. Either way, I would not trim. The taper is natural, and does not indicate damage.

Lianna
July 16th, 2011, 04:31 PM
If they're not long strands, I'd leave them alone.

Some people that have never cut their hair do find "new terminal lengths" after they start trimming. That's why I think the tapered ends have less chance of survival than trimmed ends. From what I've seen the trimmed ends split and/or brake less.

Amraann
July 16th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Tapered ends (AKA fairytale ends) are really a personal choice.

Now if you just mean little wisps of baby hair that grow along certain parts of your hairline?
I would leave those alone.

BTW unless your losing hair due to breakage from split ends then cutting will add no length to your hair or help gain growth.

jacqueline101
July 16th, 2011, 05:06 PM
I like fairy tails and that's a personal choice you have to make. If your referring to baby hairs as the ones that grow around the temple. If they are long enough like mine are try putting them into your hair style. Like I did I have pixie bangs and you can curl them with micro sized rollers.

Lianna
July 16th, 2011, 05:14 PM
I get tapered ends on little baby hairs and such, should you cut them off so that they keep growing? I would really like to know, thanks. :)

Tapered ends (AKA fairytale ends) are really a personal choice.

Now if you just mean little wisps of baby hair that grow along certain parts of your hairline?
I would leave those alone.

BTW unless your losing hair due to breakage from split ends then cutting will add no length to your hair or help gain growth.

I didn't think the OP meant fairytale ends, just the new hairs that have never been cut. My response was regarding those, not a fairytale hemline.

OP, could you tell which one do you mean? Or both.

Amraann
July 16th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Lianna, I believe that you and I are both saying basically the same thing just a little differently.

I agree with you about finding a new terminal after trimming but I think that is due to the old never trimmed ends breaking (not true terminal)
:)

Lianna
July 16th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Lianna, I believe that you and I are both saying basically the same thing just a little differently.

I agree with you about finding a new terminal after trimming but I think that is due to the old never trimmed ends breaking (not true terminal)
:)

I agree, that's why I said you should only cut if these hairs are long (which would mean aproaching terminal). I wouldn't go around searching all the hair for baby hairs and cut them, unless I did see a split/white dot on them. We can have tapered strands old or new.

If the tapered strands were in the last 3 inches or so I would probably cut them if my hair was very long. I don't have patience to "search hair", constant little dustings do the work just fine (1-2mm).

Madora
July 16th, 2011, 05:40 PM
If the tapered ends show any sign of damage, snip off the damage. If you don't cut out the damage, the damage will only get worse. Once a hair splits, the only thing to protect the rest of the strand is to cut off the damage.

Rocket22
July 16th, 2011, 06:49 PM
I personally don't like the little "tail" that I get when my hair grows, seems like the sides grow much slower then the back so I would vote yes on taking the tip off and it makes the ends nicer. Even if it's just a tiny tiny bit it helps with not taking a bunch off later... but that's just me and my vote :)

sakuramoon08
July 17th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Thank you everyone!!!! I get tapered ends on some of the middle lengths of my hair, but rarely on the longest strands (my hair has different lengths on it's own somehow) It's all starting to even out thankfully. I had thought if you cut off a tapered end that it would grow back longer than were it first tapered, I guess I was wrong!!!! Thank you again everyone!!!!

sakuramoon08
July 17th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Incidentally, do tapered ends mean that they are terminal length? That is why I thought if you cut them off, then they would grow back a bit longer past their terminal length.

Lianna
July 17th, 2011, 08:36 PM
People with terminal lengths have tapered hemlines, a blunt cut can only be achieved with trimming. We can't have a terminal length while trimming.

The tapered individual strands in the length is normal, you don't need to cut that unless it's damaged.

Tapered ends (a single strand never cut) is different than tapered hemlines ("fairytale ends"). The latter just means your cut isn't even because you didn't trim in a while.

Anje
July 17th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Incidentally, do tapered ends mean that they are terminal length? That is why I thought if you cut them off, then they would grow back a bit longer past their terminal length.
When individual hairs first emerge from the follicle, they have tapered ends. So no, it doesn't mean the hair's at terminal length, it only means that the hair has never been cut and hasn't received damage to cause it to break.

Remember that hairs get longer from the base attached to your head, not from the tip like plants do. A hair wouldn't develop a taper at terminal length because the tip of the hair would have had to start out that way.

sakuramoon08
July 18th, 2011, 01:08 AM
When individual hairs first emerge from the follicle, they have tapered ends. So no, it doesn't mean the hair's at terminal length, it only means that the hair has never been cut and hasn't received damage to cause it to break.

Remember that hairs get longer from the base attached to your head, not from the tip like plants do. A hair wouldn't develop a taper at terminal length because the tip of the hair would have had to start out that way.

Oh!!!! Anje that makes sense now!!!! Thank you. I don't know why, but I thought my hair grew from the ends down. Well I guess I can stop cutting tapered ends off, phew!!!! I feel slightly less idiotic now. Thank you!!!!! :D