PDA

View Full Version : Whose mother disapproves of your long hair

Belisarius
July 16th, 2011, 01:03 PM
So whose mother disapproves of you having long hair? My mother does.

Lishamatish
July 16th, 2011, 01:05 PM
My mummy pretty much supports anything that I want to do :)
She does think I am a bit mad though hehe xx

In2wishin
July 16th, 2011, 01:09 PM
My mom HATES my long hair. Besides the typical "witch" comment some get, she even went so far as to tell me I will never get a job unless I cut my hair :confused:

FluffSpider
July 16th, 2011, 01:11 PM
MINE! 'You look like a bald hippie'*cough*
Though, when I just want to whack it all off, she tells me not to(but that's probably not wanting to listen to my whining and have me cry for 2 days straight)

growingpains
July 16th, 2011, 01:13 PM
My mom "approves" by which I mean she likes I don't straighten it or dye it, but I don't think she cares too much whether shorter or longer, though if I went shorter than bob I don't think it would be her preference.

spigette
July 16th, 2011, 01:16 PM
My mother is so subtle and passive-aggressive that I am never sure how she really feels about things. :confused:

She says she likes it now, but for years she told me how "short hair would be so much more flattering to your body shape, dear", and "you should really be trying to draw attention up to your face".

It is impressive how she works in the dig about my weight while she is digging me about my hair, all while pretending she is giving me "helpful advice". :rolleyes:

Recently she has been asking me if I am considering colouring my grey. I said, no, I actually like it. After the first few times she asked, I finally said, "No - are you considering getting your mustache waxed?" That has shut her up for a while, lol.

Hiriel
July 16th, 2011, 01:19 PM
My mother doesn't care one way or another how I keep my hair. She loves cheese though ;)

I think she thinks my hair looks nice, though unusual, and that she thinks it's way more work than it really is.

elbow chic
July 16th, 2011, 01:24 PM
My mom is a lifelong longhair, so I can't imagine she disapproves. She's pretty much the only woman over the age of 25 in her office with hair that's not dyed and bobbed, but she's always been a nonconformist like that. :love:

Basically she's always been fine with whatever I want to do with my hair. Even the time I tried to get a rise out of her by threatening to dye it blue. "It's your hair, dear, if you want to live with it then go right ahead." Way to deflate the rebellion balloon mom. :mad:

My MIL, on the other hand... I can tell she doesn't like it, but she's pretty classy about not saying anything.

racrane
July 16th, 2011, 01:25 PM
My mother thinks SL hair is long and anything longer makes you look "older and fatter" - her words. I got one haircut styled into a bob which she paid for. Never again. Hated it. Anyway, I'm in college now so I can't hear her "I hate your hair" all the time.

ouseljay
July 16th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Mine likes the idea of long hair, but is convinced that mine is unhealthy because it's not blunt-cut and I don't get it trimmed every six weeks.

Edit: Long hair being waist-lengthish, probably. Once it gets longer she's almost certain to think it's "unflattering."

Zesty
July 16th, 2011, 01:27 PM
My mommy approves, I suppose. She pretty much supports me in whatever I do. She once commented that it probably wouldn't grow much longer than this (almost waist), but I think that's because she doesn't understand how hair works... But the other day she mentioned that she thought it would look nice if I grew my bangs out, even though it would take a long time to get them to the same length as the rest of my hair. I'd say that's at least supportive of the non-mainstream "long, one-length hair" style.

Narya
July 16th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Mine does kind of both. She agrees that she's never seen my hair shinier or healthier before, and she's had classic length hair when she was young so she kind of gets it. Every now then, though, she just looks at me and asks in the most innocent manner: "But you're are going to cut it shorter someday, aren't you?"

What she really doesn't approve is all the shed hairs (and I understand that completely)!

JellyBene
July 16th, 2011, 01:29 PM
My mom dislikes when my hair gets really long but what she dislikes even more is my natural ways of caring for it. I have to be so secretive about it. Especially my WO routine, she is CONSTANTLY telling me "why can't you just be normal and wash it?"

ArienEllariel
July 16th, 2011, 01:29 PM
My mom doesn't care one way or the other.

elbow chic
July 16th, 2011, 01:32 PM
My MIL REALLY hated when my husband grew his hair out back in the '80s. Poor thing sent him off for an exchange year in Europe as a reasonably clean-cut Midwestern boy, and he came back wearing weird clothes and listening to weird music with a mane of wavy dark hair and a scruffy beard. lol.

Moral of the story: mothers don't let your babies grow up to smoke hash in the Ukraine.

Ishje
July 16th, 2011, 01:34 PM
my mum has typical mum behavior , she thinks everything wear is pretty XD that includes my hair!

Rennire
July 16th, 2011, 01:42 PM
My mom is coming around a little bit. She used to say mean things like I had witches hair and stuff but now most of her comments are about how nice I would look with shorter hair instead. She still makes fun of my buns though. She says they make me look like an "old prude" :(

sakuramoon08
July 16th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Both my mom and my sister hate my hair. My mom cut her waist length hair the day she got married ( I've no idea why) a long time ago. And my sister cut her past waist length hair when she went to college, dyed it in streaks, and god knows how many colors she's gone through now. My mom's hair is super short, and my sister's is like hay and split and everything else in between, but nope, I'm the witch, the hippy, and I don't know what else they've said to me. They've threatned to cut my hair while I sleep too. My hair color is not that ugly, I was born with it!!!! Well, I was born with blonde hair, it changed on it's own. Sorry for the rant, but I get this everyday!!!!

Neneka
July 16th, 2011, 02:06 PM
My mom is into cheese. I laughed because she really is into cheese! She loves cheese and very often when I visit her we eat cheese and drink red wine. We like to experiment with all kinds of cheese. :D

Seriously. My mom wouldn't mind if I went bald. She says everything goes as long as I am happy. I think all parents must let go at some point. After all we are separate beings.

Oh, my fathers ex wife, I guess my step mother, doesn't like my natural texture and colour at all. She thinks it's too flat, grey and mousy and I should bleach it and blow fry it and use a ton of hair spray.. But she really doesn't count...

Mairéad
July 16th, 2011, 02:09 PM
My mom generally doesn't have an opinion of my hair. She's said she likes the short hair I have now but she's never disliked the long hair I used to have either. Most of my mom's comments are on the color of my hair.

QueenJoey
July 16th, 2011, 02:13 PM
My mom's hair is longer than mine (waist) so it would be kinda hypocritical if she disapproved my mid back length. However, I've learned not to tell my mom my hair goals, because she says my hair would get too stringy and lifeless. Also, she thinks I should wash my hair daily because it's so fine and prone to oilyness, whereas I'm trying to stretch to once a week.

She HATES when I use oils, says it makes my hair super gross and greasy and smell weird. She gets so mad and has banned me from using it. I hate disobeying her, but I admit that I still use my homemade oil blend every night in bed. I listened to her when she told me to quit spending ALL my money on hair stuff.

Imagine how mad she's get if she knew I want to start WO, and later NW.

skara_brae
July 16th, 2011, 02:14 PM
My mother doesn't care one way or another how I keep my hair. She loves cheese though.

Mine hasn't said anything about my hair -- probably because she realizes her opinion would have no effect on me whatsoever either way.

My mom is coming around a little bit. She still makes fun of my buns though. She says they make me look like an "old prude" :(

And what, pray tell, is wrong with that? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6616)

pepperminttea
July 16th, 2011, 02:20 PM
My mother approves of my long hair, but I have a feeling that will change when I reach 35/40. For herself she thinks "long hair is for the young" so I may be in for my share of ridicule when I no longer fit that age bracket.

GabrielleRose
July 16th, 2011, 02:23 PM
My mom I would have to say doesn't really approve. I say this because, ever since I was little she would just hack it off! I had super thick hair when I was little and she wasn't patient enough to brush it out, also she was paranoid about lice as well. Lately, she hasn't said anything rude but when she's mad she'll tell me it looks ugly and that she wants to hack it off.
:( My current length is the longest I've had, which is about an inch above my bra strap. What length can I call it? All, I know is I want to grow it to above my bum!

georgia_peach
July 16th, 2011, 02:27 PM
My mother always liked my hair longer. I believe she would approve of my growing out now. :)

georgia_peach
July 16th, 2011, 02:30 PM
My mom is into cheese. I laughed because she really is into cheese! She loves cheese and very often when I visit her we eat cheese and drink red wine. We like to experiment with all kinds of cheese. :D

Seriously. My mom wouldn't mind if I went bald. She says everything goes as long as I am happy. I think all parents must let go at some point. After all we are separate beings.

Your post made me smile. I had a very similar relationship with my mother. :cheese:(Here's a little cheese in honor of the both of them!)

neko_kawaii
July 16th, 2011, 02:32 PM
My mom likes cheese!

I grew up envying my mothers hair. It is thick and long and an amazing shade of rusty red. As a child I hoped I would grow up to have red hair. (I was born with black hair that fell out and grew back blond. About the time I was seven it was the color of cardboard and I hated it) However, at some point in high school a picture was taken of us with me "wearing" my mother's hair. I looked horrid! My complexion is not at all suitable for red hair! Quite a revelation. It was some time after that, that I realized my hair had darkened considerably and that I rather liked it (and it has red highlights).

She has always been supportive of however I wanted to do my hair: long, short, shaved, orange. And she does truly like cheese!

Dina L.
July 16th, 2011, 02:35 PM
My mum supports me in whatever I do. If not I can make her change her mind explaining why I think / want things in a certain way.

jojo
July 16th, 2011, 02:45 PM
My mum doesn't like long hair on me but she has given up saying anything. In the past she has said she wishes id cut short as long hair makes me look like a horse; I just reply well rather a horse than a toilet brush!

Majorane
July 16th, 2011, 02:56 PM
My mom has thin hair and not much of it, and a large scar on her head as well so her hair is not very pretty. and whatever I do with my hair, she likes it hugely. (although bobcuts are her favourite on me - why do all moms like bobcuts?). She is glad I didn't inherit her hair. To be honest, I am too.

And we are Dutch, so we eat cheese as much as possible. Cheesefondue hurray!

vanity_acefake
July 16th, 2011, 02:58 PM
My mum thinks that both my and my daughter's (eight) hair is far too long. My daughter's hair is waist length and mine is almost waist length.
I just tell her that my daughter wishes to grow her hair super long like a princess and if that is what she wishes to do then I'm happy to let her and help keep it healthy.
She has recently stopped commenting on my hair length (I win!).
:)

Neneka
July 16th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Your post made me smile. I had a very similar relationship with my mother. :cheese:(Here's a little cheese in honor of the both of them!)

Yay for cheese and peace loving mothers! :cheese:

nicolezoie
July 16th, 2011, 03:05 PM
My own mother would probably think the length I have is excessive, but at he same time she'd be overjoyed that it was this "excessive" length is what got me to work with Disney.... she passed away 9 years ago.

My mother-in-law, on the other hand, wholly disapproves of my hair, and from time to time tries to tell me that it won't always look this good..... sheesh. Genetics tells me otherwise. :P

QMacrocarpa
July 16th, 2011, 04:30 PM
She's a lifelong shorthair, and only comments on my hair when she can brightly say "Oh, you've cut it shorter!" So I think that counts as slight disapproval. But I have to give her credit for not actually complaining about my hair when it's longer. Sometimes silence is golden.

battles
July 16th, 2011, 04:30 PM
There needs to be a neutral option. My mom doesn't care, and she's lactose intolerant. :p

AshleyTheRed
July 16th, 2011, 04:47 PM
My mother has hip length hair xD

Amraann
July 16th, 2011, 04:56 PM
I would not really care what my mother thought if she was still alive.
I am sure she would have nothing nice to say whatever my hair looked like. .

pink.sara
July 16th, 2011, 05:01 PM
I have the opposite problem, since I cut it she's been nagging me to grow it again and doesn't understand that I keep cutting back to shoulder to get rid of bleach damage.
And even more embarrassing, when it was waist/classic she would insist I let it down to show people how long it was... Like an exhibit or something :rolleyes:

Blandine
July 16th, 2011, 05:05 PM
My mother died 20 years ago but I am sure she would not like my long hair. She always thought short hair was sooooo "practical" - HA!

She would, however, appreciate how I learned doing a bit of woodwork in the process of making my own hair toys.

Spacescape
July 16th, 2011, 05:06 PM
I am lucky to have a mother who approves of my long hair--in fact, whenever I start thinking about cutting it shorter than armpit-length/collarbone-length, she's the one who says "well, think about it, because once it's gone you have to wait for it to grow back..."

And, now that I think about it, she likes cheese, too! :cheese:

Caldonia Sun
July 16th, 2011, 05:42 PM
My mom has passed on, but she didn't like my hair long when I was young and she would HATE it even more now that it's silver and I'm older.

HuggyBear
July 16th, 2011, 05:50 PM
My mom doesn't care how I wear my hair or at least she has never said anything to me about it. She trims my hair occasionally and is very careful not too cut alot.
However, she does like cheese! :)

JuliaDancer
July 16th, 2011, 05:53 PM
My mom's hair is waist length, almost hip! She's a few inches shorter than me, though, so even though she proportionally has very long hair, my hair measured is actually much longer. She likes my long hair, but prefers when I have it down.

SpeakingEZ
July 16th, 2011, 05:55 PM
My mother strongly approves of me doing whatever I want with my hair. When she was a kid, her mother forced her to keep her hair long and now she never has it longer than SL. So, growing up, my mother never really had the heart to force me to anything with my hair, one way or the other.

As far as she's concerned, grow it long, cut it off, dye/ bleach it, spray paint it blue, who cares? It'll grow back. She knew I'd have the sense to keep it employer-friendly once I'd hit that age.

October
July 16th, 2011, 05:55 PM
My mom doesn't care. She just wishes she had my hair.. long, short, whatever. She has super curly hair that she hates. I tried giving her curly hair care info I see here, but she isn't too intrested in changing her ways.

Stub
July 16th, 2011, 06:01 PM
My mom has died, but she would have LOVED my long hair. Before her cancer she had beautiful thick blonde/silver hair almost tailbone, and frequently would ask me to french braid it for her. It was so hard for her to lose her hair in chemotherapy.

Raiscake
July 16th, 2011, 06:16 PM
My mom approves of me finally growing my hair out, but I don't think she'll approve of my final goal. She thinks waist length hair looks good on everyone, but anything beyond is too much hair.

EdG
July 16th, 2011, 06:39 PM
I picked the cheese option.

My mom had been complaining that my hair was too long for the greater part of two decades. Every time I visited her, she would complain. It was like listening to a broken record. :rolleyes:

A few years ago, I found a solution: show her the photos from the LHC meets I've attended.

"See mom, my hair isn't too long (when I'm standing in a line of LHC members)." :D

Not only did she stop complaining, but she was very impressed by the local members' long hair. She saw for the first time that long hair can be beautiful and something to be proud of (on both women and men).

Now, whenever I visit my mom, she asks me if I have attended any more LHC meets. :cheese:
Ed

Slinks
July 16th, 2011, 06:45 PM
There needs to be a neutral option. My mom doesn't care, and she's lactose intolerant. :p

lol - had a bit of a giggle there

My Mum is BSL and both my Mum and Dad (who is SL) love my hair .. my sister is usually WL but she recently cut back to SL .. they also love that I'm not dyeing because I have hair like my Dad's and he has the most gorgeous soft white hair :-)

My Dad also loves his cheese !! :eyebrows:

Jcv-Shelley
July 16th, 2011, 06:54 PM
My mom doesn't care. She just wishes she had my hair.. long, short, whatever. She has super curly hair that she hates. I tried giving her curly hair care info I see here, but she isn't too intrested in changing her ways.

Perfect explanation of my mother. Except, She actually misses my long hair after the first few months of the chop. It isn't that she's not interested in the things I tell her, she's just busy. I have been getting her attention lately though. I've convinced her to give up the straightener and switch to CO. Sadly, she usually twists her hair up in a peacok twist while going to work because she believes her hair looks "problematic." Where she was raised, every girl desired straight hair. I instead, love curly hair. :p

Mesmerise
July 16th, 2011, 07:25 PM
My mum literally had short hair her entire life, except for a brief period during the early 70s when she grew it to SL or so (I only knew cause I saw some slides where she had longer hair!!) However, she has never, ever said one thing negative about my hair, whether it was chopped short, very long, whether I bleached it really, really badly and needed her to buy me some dye (cause I was too embarrassed to go into the shop with my white/orange hair!!).

I mean there may have been some times when as a young child she'd say to me "are you SURE you want to cut your hair short?" after I'd been growing it...but she never actually stopped me from pretty much doing what I wanted! It always really shocks me to hear that there ARE mothers who criticize their daughter's hair... especially their adult daughters...even those daughters who are in their 50s and beyond who STILL get criticism from their mothers!! What is with that???

There's lots of stuff my mum would prefer I not do (like piercings, and tattoos etc.) but she's never, ever, ever even gone on about that. She just doesn't comment at all! (My dad will sometimes make rude comments, but that's my dad... and he's sort of half joking at the same time so we don't take it to heart!! My parents are actually uber conservative people, so considering that they're pretty reasonable).

So I picked that my mother likes cheese! Cause she does ;).

KittyLost
July 16th, 2011, 07:32 PM
My mam always says my hair looks better short and straight. I always retort you shouldn't have passed down the curly hair gene then. I come from a family of short curly hairs who know nothing about how to deal with curly hair so they keep it short to avoid dealing with curls properly. I'm the only one who has embraced natural texture.

My mother won't say anything nasty and I'll get the odd compliment on my hair but there's always a "i prefer" regarding my hair.

celebriangel
July 16th, 2011, 07:43 PM
My mother approved of me "growing my hair long" as I said to her on the phone, but the last time I lived at her house I had SL hair, and a pixie before that, and I've only spent short periods of time in her company thereafter (mostly with SL-APL hair). Since last summer when I saw her properly last (I went up at christmas but was ill so my hair was constantly in a pony) my hair has got to beyond BSL. I don't think she realised that on the phone - she thinks BSL is long. I am sure that when I pass waist or so she will start telling me to cut it, as she has all my life.

Nae
July 16th, 2011, 07:48 PM
My mom doesn't care one way or the other, but she does like cheese hehe. She is quite interested in all of my hairtoys though. She is always checking out the back of my head and ooohing and ahhhing. I love my mom!

Bene
July 16th, 2011, 07:50 PM
I wouldn't know. I've never asked her if she approves or not.

Toiréasa
July 16th, 2011, 07:54 PM
My mother has never made a comment on my hair long or short so I can't say weather she likes it or not so I picked Cheese!
She has had a pixie cut forever,except for a brief time in the 80's it was like nape length with a perm I have never seen it touch her shoulders.

October
July 16th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Actually, come to think of it - my mom probably does approve of long hair. She kept my hair at TBL when I was a child and when my 4 year old daughter insisted (for many weeks) that I cut her waist length long hair to shoulder length - my mom didn't seem to approve of how short I cut it. But, she's never actually said to me that she likes my hair long or short. But, since my mom has curly hair that she doesn't know how to handle, she keeps hers no longer than shoulder length.

OH - and when my cousin who we hadn't seen in over a year came over out of the blue - my mom kept commenting after she left about how long and pretty her hair was.. it was BSL and no.. it wasn't so pretty. Not because of the length of course, but it was FRIED!! It looked like straw - but, I was close to this cousin growing up and she showers twice a day and blow dries after every shower.

Xi
July 16th, 2011, 08:54 PM
My mum has never approved of it -- always said it made my hair look thinner (which it does). But she never made me have a haircut, and usually keeps her opinion to herself.

I like your story, EdG -- maybe I should introduce her to the LHC.:)

Xandergrammy
July 16th, 2011, 08:57 PM
My mother passed away almost 8 years ago, but she loved my hair long, especially when it was in a single braid. I wish she could see how long it's grown!

Leucothea
July 16th, 2011, 09:10 PM
I can never really tell, some days she's like "Wow your hair is so long and shiny!"
Than other days she's like "You know, if I were you I would cut it right about here -points to collar bone-" or she'll be like "Just trim two inches, you won't even notice the difference..."

So I never really know? I think she wants me to feel like it's my choice and doesn't want me to feel pressured one way or another :)

TheMechaGinger
July 16th, 2011, 09:13 PM
I come from a family of long haired ladies all except one sour puss aunt with dyed bobbed hair, so I think I've got all around approval (almost). We're all really supportive of each others personal choices when it comes to appearance however, usually no negative comments

SarahKayfa
July 16th, 2011, 09:34 PM
My parents approve of my hair longer. They'd just prefer I'd let it go back to my natural color! My mom had classic length hair most of my childhood and chopped it off for one of those short layered do's in the 90's. She's had APL hair for the last few years and it looks wonderful with silver strands all woven it. Her hair actually inspired me to grow my hair out as well.

littlenvy
July 16th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Its not a full out disapproval but she does tell me a lot that I would look better and younger in a short 'cute' haircut. ;)

Seeshami
July 16th, 2011, 10:14 PM
My mother's hair is longer then mine.

Sama
July 17th, 2011, 12:54 AM
My mother most certainly approves. She had classic length hair for a long time in her twenties. Now, she and I have essentially the same length of hair, floating somewhere between BSL and waist. I can't imagine her disapproving of me looking almost exactly like her. ;)

Jezerellica
July 17th, 2011, 01:03 AM
So whose mother disapproves of you having long hair? My mother does.
My Mother. I have stories you would not believe. Now that I am an adult, she has no say. She just looks(with that look):rolleyes:brushes at it and that is the end of it! Ahhh, I love being an adult!!

Loreley
July 17th, 2011, 04:08 AM
My mother's opinion is interesting. When I do a deep treatment, wash my hair, S&D or buy anything hair-related she say I shouldn't spend that much time taking care of my hair and wasting money on hair care products. When I mention that maybe I will cut it or just trim a couple of cm-s she says it is good the way it is. I think she is irritated because she thinks I should do more important things than babying my hair all the time (which is not true). She is VERY old-fashioned, hates make-up or nail polish or anything like that. But sometimes she says that I should be like my cousins who are very girlish. They love fashion, expensive clothes (which I can't afford) and dress like the latest trends show. Who understands this, really? :confused:

hairwap
July 17th, 2011, 05:09 AM
My mothers loves long hair

arc691
July 17th, 2011, 05:37 AM
http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy68/terryandjody/Smilies%204/lightflowerfy9.gif

My mom takes all my hair pictures for me :) She's the one who encouraged me several months to look on the internet for "hairstyles for super long hair" and that's how I discovered the LHC.

Yes, my mom definitely approves!

http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy68/terryandjody/Smilies%204/HaveAHappyDayHeartFlowersBees.jpg

PianoPlaye
July 17th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Mum had a really glorious bob cut back when she was a student, (showcased glossy thick black hair, skin like cream, cheekbones of artistry & a beautiful neck) but is now BSL plus. She's liked the short cuts that emphasised the colour & movement of my then short hair, but now I've "rusted" & wear it back in a braid 98% of the time she has the sense not to grouse about it. After all, she wears hers up in a bun day in, day out & we trim each others hair.

When confronted by a nasty tangle, she was reaching for scissors, & she was really touched as my little sister & I raced to stop her. We managed to free 95% of the hair from the snarl with nothing other than conditoner, fingers and vehement instructions to "sit still!", and got another 4% freed with a bit of dextrous comb and three hands on work. The remaining knot (now tiny) we placed in her palm & she could see & feel what we had saved. She knows we approve of her long hair, and I think she reciprocates.

And she loves cheese. :cheese: The odder (goatsmilk, blue, serously artisan etc) the better, apparently. She only buys "ordinary" cheese for the grandchildren, since they are not fans of anything more wacky than Cheshire (or Wensleydale with cranberries, but that's another story.)

knittingyogini
July 17th, 2011, 06:53 AM
LOL. I didn't even think on it until I saw this thread, but now that you mention it...I'm not sure if she likes it or not, but I suspect that she slightly disapproves. Not due to her preference for long/short hair, but because my dad strongly dislikes long hair. I'd be willing to bet that she thinks I may be growing it at least partially to annoy him---which is totally annoying. I'm 38, mother of 2, and live in a different state. I'm well past doing things specifically to annoy my dad, but I wonder if she understands that yet? :)

Mutinous
July 17th, 2011, 07:13 AM
My Mum does like my long hair, though she prefers it when I straighten it out as opposed to my natural wave. She doesn't hate it naturally, just prefers it straight, which is her opinion I suppose!

I'm quite lucky I suppose, as I started growing my hair out as a 15 year old and she never cared really, despite this weird societal assumption that men=/= short hair.

longcurlygirl<3
July 17th, 2011, 08:29 AM
My mom says it is pretty one day, then I tell her it's grown an inch and she says " What are you going to do with All of THAT hair?". So it's hard, but she'll come around at some point :)

jasper
July 17th, 2011, 08:32 AM
I am fairly sure my mom would disapprove of seeing my long hair down. But I know any comment she would make would roll right off me, so it wouldn't matter. She knows it too, and doesn't offer comments.

snakewitch
July 17th, 2011, 08:57 AM
My mom's okay with it, until I decide to wear it up or want to buy hair products that are nice to my hair.

"But why don't you wear your hair down?" - apparently it's impossible for her to understand how that's not good to do if I'm trying to grow it.

"Why can't you use normal stuff on your hair?" - says the woman who used it for 20 years and has hair in a rather terrible condition.

"Why don't you straighten it? It makes it look so much healthier." - I'm not even going to bother with this one.

etc.

Elysium
July 17th, 2011, 09:44 AM
My mother doesn't disapprove per se, however she does tell me I need to cut it back to SL every time she catches me with it down! Apparently the ends "look too thin" because they're not cut bluntly.
She does approve of the fact that I don't use dye or heat anymore though :D
I'm proud of her for finally letting her hair go grey, after dying it brown for the last 20 years!

Jing
July 17th, 2011, 11:38 AM
My mother disapproved of my short-short hair, so I can only assume she will approve once my hair grows long again, but for now I'm not voting. We shall see!

eicamawa
July 17th, 2011, 01:27 PM
My mom doesn't really care much about my hair, as long as I take good care of it

alwayssmiling
July 17th, 2011, 01:51 PM
I don't know whether disapprove is the right word, but my mother said that my hair has no style now. She prefered it when I had it styled at the hairdressers. She also prefered my hair highlighted. I like the no style look.

tigereye
July 17th, 2011, 03:31 PM
My mum isn't much Of a fan of short hair, but then to her, APL is long. I don't think she minds much about my length, but more cares that I keep my natural colour. She hates dyeing her grey hair, but feels like she has to keep going now she has started, but that carries on into trying to get me not to dye my own (I want to henna it, but am waiting till I move out in September, to keep her happy), and she also doesn't like fairy-tale ends, so I get it cut more often than I would like. I think she is happy though that I don't use heat on my hair though, and doesn't mind too much about my crazy-ish hair care ideas, mostly courtesy of the LHC. :D

Ligeia_13
July 17th, 2011, 03:38 PM
I wouldn't go as far as to say she disapproves...but she's always saying short hair would suit me better and saying I need a trim or what not. Hinty hint? Haha.

Kathie
July 17th, 2011, 10:36 PM
My Mum would never impose her opinion on me. So she likes cheese!

Isala
July 17th, 2011, 11:06 PM
My mom currently likes cheese, but I can definitely imagine that once it gets long enough to stand out, she'll find some way to make fun of it... oh well :)

MissManda
July 17th, 2011, 11:32 PM
My biological mom seems to like my hair long, but I wouldn't know because I don't really talk to her that much. I think she, and possibly my dad, was the reason why I never had short hair as a child. All I remember is that she'd tell me how thick my hair is and that's it...

My MIL doesn't seem to care whether my hair is long or short, although she has said that my hair is pretty a couple fo times. :)

My dad's mom hates my hair and thinks that it needs to be short. :rolleyes: She's given me some of the worst haircut advice EVER and my hair always looked awful if she got the chance to put her ideas into action (cutting a blunt fringe all the way to back to my ears, getting strange forelock-looking bangs, undercut bob, etc).

bigred199
July 17th, 2011, 11:48 PM
My mother is supportive of my hair choices, and she commented today on how long it's getting. She likes to braid it. And I know for a fact she loves cheese.

Chibbylick
July 18th, 2011, 02:57 AM
Mine asks regularly when I'm cutting.
I'm not.
:)

MissAlida
July 18th, 2011, 03:07 AM
I think mine would approve of it if the shedding stopped. She's always whyning that all the house is full of hair...And she keeps telling me that I spend too much time on my hair, and that her's never shed(when she was young, she had waist lenght wavy, thick hair). :rolleyes:

Avital88
July 18th, 2011, 03:34 AM
hmm she saw my hair once at tailbone lenght,(i had waist lenght hair and extra extensions then)she loved it soo much.. if she wouldnt have seen that i think she wouldntlike long hair so much. she does tell me to cut my ends though haha which i need to do.. i would feel bad if she would dissaprove my choices, but still do it actually..

Alaia
July 18th, 2011, 03:36 AM
My mother hates it. Before I cut off my layers every single time I saw her she would comment about how I needed to cut my hair and grow up, that sort of thing.

She still thinks it is too long but I'm past caring about it.

Carolyn
July 18th, 2011, 06:31 AM
My mom never liked my long hair. It wasn't just my long hair, it was all long hair. She had the idea that only slutty, trashy women and actresses had long hair. We at LHC certainly know better, don't we?:D When I was little she kept my hair in a chin length bob, which I hated. I wanted a ponytail. We fought over hair (and clothes and later on make up) constantly. When I was in 8th grade she finally allowed me to have control over my hair but she never stopped disapproving of longer hair. Late in her life I think she finally gave up the disapproval and gave me a couple of compliments on my hair.

punkcatknitter
July 18th, 2011, 07:00 AM
My mom has been mourning the loss of my long hair since I cut it off when I was 12. So she's pretty happy now. And I got her to grow her hair (which has been chin or shoulder since before I was born) by agreeing to go back to my natural color. Which I did keep for a whole 2 years.... haha.

I do foresee us having fights at some point over trims... she likes VERY blunt straight across hair and I'd rather have the length. Note, this fight will be over her hair, not mine, as she has always been good about letting me do whatever I want with my own hair (even if she did twitch a little).

rockkcor
July 18th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Disapproves, so what?
;)

MsBubbles
July 18th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Interesting poll results! I would've sworn before looking that they would have been heavily swayed towards "Mother does not approve", based on some of the discussions we've had here in the past about childhood hair trauma! :)

I think I have scared my poor Mother into not giving me her opinion about my hair any more, so I'd have to answer the cheese version.

GoatLady
July 19th, 2011, 06:47 PM
My mother is no longer on this plane, but when she was I don't think she cared one way or the other about the length of my hair.

McFearless
July 19th, 2011, 07:22 PM
My mom thinks I have the most beautiful hair ever. She always tries to talk me out of getting it cut, even tiny trims.

jujube
July 19th, 2011, 08:40 PM
My situation is interesting. I got my hair shaved off when my mom started her chemo treatments for breast cancer. I kept a short pixie until her hair started growing back, and now we're pretty much growing at the same rate (got a few trims, and hers grew super curly for a year). We don't talk about hair much, my Mom is not appearance-driven, but so far we're both grown to almost shoulder. I think she'll keep growing her grays to APL (I'll hopefully show her great ways to wear it), and I'll be just starting at APL. I want to hit at least hip, if not BCL.

Persephone
July 19th, 2011, 08:53 PM
I got into a big argument with my mom when I was 18, and wanted to trim off several inches of damaged ends. She thought it was too much. So, I think she approves. But I have long hair because I like it, not for any other reason. :)

She was worried that it would never grow back when I chopped my dreads, but happily, she has been disproven.

Oldfashioned
July 19th, 2011, 09:15 PM
My mom doesn't really approve (and thinks I'm a little strange for using coconut oil) but my grandma is the one who REALLY doesn't approve. I got a short haircut once (a little longer than Halle Berry's but still really short) and Gma loved it! So... hates the fact I'm growing my hair out. Has no problem telling me that long hair should be tied back somehow or I'll look like a witch, but since I usually wear buns or french braid when I leave the house I seem to be safe. lol.

Can I say I like *cheese* ?

Alun
July 19th, 2011, 10:27 PM
My mum doesn't like long hair. For many years I didn't realise that it wasn't just because I'm a guy. Eventually it became clear that she doesn't like long hair on anyone. She doesn't have a daughter, though, there's just me, so it wasn't so obvious.

If my dad has any opinion on the subject, he mostly keeps it to himself. He did tell me a funny story once, though. It seems he was comparing notes with another guy his age, and they were both surprised that their sons hadn't changed their hairstyle as they got older. I think he figured he had got the better end of the bargain, though, because the other guy's middle-aged son had green hair.

My wife and both our kids (DS18 and DD14) have long hair too, but AFAIK my mum has never complained to any of them about their hair. Just me.

teal
July 19th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Wow, some of these stories are really saddening! Looks like some people never tire of projecting their ideals onto other people!! :(

My brother is the vocal one. When he noticed that I wasn't cutting my hair, he lost no time in telling me that he liked it, it looked good and he hoped it would stay long. I voted that my mom approves though she hasn't actually said so. She's only ever said that she didn't like my hair when it was dyed jet black because it was too dark for my skin tone, and I didn't find that out until years after the fact. She seems to have always found it interesting no matter what color or length it's been at, and it has run the gamut for both! (She thought it was cute when it was about two inches long and a pale blue-purple color.) Of late I've been telling her about some of the things I've been doing with it - no-poo, for instance - and she just asks me how the routines are going and tells me it looks nice when I put some effort into styling it.

She does not, however, eat much cheese. She only buys it when she's taking care of my older DS, because HE likes cheese. :cheese:

Tabihito
July 19th, 2011, 11:58 PM
My mom thinks just short of APL is the longest my hair should be, and any attempt to grow longer is "horribly unattractive, it makes you look like you don't take care of yourself". Though that's more my flat refusal to get a "stylish" cut and instead moving more towards a center part, growing out my bangs, and slowly getting to a subtle U hemline. I'm not a fan of straight hemlines, but all-one-length U? Love it.

However, cut it short, and she accuses me of being a lesbian. I can't win with the woman.

Mesmerise
July 20th, 2011, 02:24 AM
It's funny but the more I think about it...the more I realise I have literally NO IDEA what my mother thinks of my hair! I mean, she never, ever comments lol.

I am sure she's not keen on really blunt cuts though, because when I was little I remember wanting it straight across the back, and she wanted it "shaped"... but eventually I got my way! However...despite the colours I've had, the perms, blah blah...she's never really said anything.

When I had black hair I'm sure my dad teased me a bit. One funny thing though is that a couple of years ago he saw a picture of me with the two dogs I had at the time (I think I was 19/20) and he asked me if the person in the picture was one of my friends. Yup. He didn't recognise me LOL.

It is very sad to read about all those mothers who actively disapprove of their daughter's hair (and son's, for that matter). I mean, I wanted my DD to keep her pretty hair long, but I know it has to be her decision, and if I force her to keep long hair, she'll probably rebel and keep it short later (I do know people who have done that, and who have done the opposite too and kept long hair as adults after having forced short cuts as kids). So, my DD will probably go and do all that bleaching/dyeing stuff...and I'll probably disapprove :p but only cause I'm right off all that damaging stuff now. But I won't say anything, because I've done it all before myself!!

oktobergoud
July 20th, 2011, 02:46 AM
My mother is even growing with me! (Although she has begun earlier so her hair is already longer sigh :P)

BUT, keep in mind we both had pixies for a long time and a bob is already long in our eyes! My mother would never have waist length hair (and I wouldn't either :P) and I think that SHE would think it's way too much hassle and I'm not sure if she really approves long long LONG hair. Well, she would approve it, because hey, it's my body, but I think she would like a little shorter better :P

ingvild
July 20th, 2011, 02:58 AM
My mother thinks my hair is nice, now that it is longer! But, she thinks that "long" is anything from shoulder length and onwards. When it was BSL, she wondered "when I was going to cut it" (and then I had my mother trim it, actually). I think it was because it had been a year+ since I had it cut, though, not because she thought it was Long And Disgusting.

She does think my hair is very nice, though, it's the opposite to hers. When I was on holiday and went swimming in the ocean and worked like a champion to get my hair soft and smooth again - and succeeded - at least that's what I thought - she grabbed my ponytail and declared it feels like hemp! But her hair feels like cat fur, while mine is more like horse hair. :o

She's also very impressed with my braiding skillz. 8)

Othala
July 20th, 2011, 04:11 AM
Mine hates long hair on me and on anyone else.

marzipanthecat
July 20th, 2011, 04:19 AM
My hair is now longer than the profile photo here shows, so it is "freaky" length to my mother.

I like being a freak, if this is it.

TheCaityCat
July 20th, 2011, 04:39 AM
My mother is contrary. I can't win. When I got it cut, she lamented the loss of "all that gorgeous blonde hair!" When I decided to grow it out, she said "But it looks so pretty short!"

I'm the only blonde in my family and one of my sisters has long red hair. I'm pretty sure my mom tells us what to do with it because she wishes she had our hair (her hair is very short and used to be dark brown; if you ask me she could totally pull off the long-haired look!).

AlannaMaria
July 20th, 2011, 07:58 AM
I think my mom prefers my hair in the shorter range, but goes crazy when I straighten it and asks why I don't do it more...little does she know I've given up the heat styling for a while...: P Also, I'm not sure how she'd feel about my CO methods/stretching washes...she washes herr hair every day, and has always taught me to do the same, but my hair just doesn't like it...

Flutterbee
July 20th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Heh, my Mom's hair is longer than mine. She keeps hers around hip length. Every time I see hers I think about how long mine would be if I hadn't chopped not once, but twice. Ugh.

SunnyChicago
July 20th, 2011, 09:02 AM
I am both a daughter and a mother.... in our family, it is to each their own. Sure, when my daughter was small I would get her hair trimmed and I would care for it. As she got a little older about 8 or 9 I would let her help make the decision, do you want to cut it or keep it longer? Sometimes she was happy with the decision and sometimes she wasn't... I told her your choices are yours to make, but you then have to live with that choice. My Mom always looks at me and says "Oh, you don't have to worry, your hair always looks good" and I tell her that I work at it too! My mom always wanted 'movie-star' hair when she woke up in the morning... Perfect without having to do a thing to it!! :)

faithsdaisy421
July 20th, 2011, 12:32 PM
My mother is so subtle and passive-aggressive that I am never sure how she really feels about things. :confused:

She says she likes it now, but for years she told me how "short hair would be so much more flattering to your body shape, dear", and "you should really be trying to draw attention up to your face".

It is impressive how she works in the dig about my weight while she is digging me about my hair, all while pretending she is giving me "helpful advice". :rolleyes:

Recently she has been asking me if I am considering colouring my grey. I said, no, I actually like it. After the first few times she asked, I finally said, "No - are you considering getting your mustache waxed?" That has shut her up for a while, lol.
This is my GRANDMA... to the tee.

I wish I had the balls to ask her about her mustache...shudder:

BrightEyes
July 20th, 2011, 01:53 PM
My mom supports my long hair goals. But she is a long hair herself, her hair is usually between WL and TB.

I've never been very close to her. But now that I am growing my hair and interested in haircare, we have something to talk about! I have told her about CO (which she does now:D) and coconut oil. She has purchased a GTS fork, but has been unsure how to use it. So lately we've been playing with her hair and figuring out what buns work for her. It's very motivating for me too, I love to comb her hair and dream of my hair being long one day. And it's given us an opportunity to just talk, which is something we haven't done much of.

I'm quite suprised that hair has helped my relationship with her. But it's been awesome, a two-fold blessing for me.

discoisntdead
July 20th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Not mine. She started nagging me when I had it cut short actually.

JulietCapulet
July 20th, 2011, 04:30 PM
If my mom had her choice she would tell me never to cut my hair. She loves long hair.:-D

Lostsoule77
July 20th, 2011, 04:41 PM
My mother is deceased so I voted for cheese. However she always had her hair between apl & bsl and always kept my hair long. This makes me think she'd still be fine with it being long. :)

Rtzgrl
July 20th, 2011, 04:55 PM
I guess I'm pretty lucky. My Mom likes long hair, even though her's has never been past APL. The only thing she doesn't like is when I wear it down. She's not very approving of the look in someone "my age". My sister looks down on it a bit, too, so no support there. Good thing I like wearing it up.

trilobite
July 20th, 2011, 05:07 PM
I miss my mom. I haven't cut my hair since she died. I think she would like it.

sun-kissed
July 20th, 2011, 06:08 PM
My mother has always loved long hair on me, and supports me no matter what length I have it. So far BSL is the longest it's been, but that's starting to change.

She has been suggesting I get a "highschool" cut soon because I am already so not 'normal', the long hair makes me look like I'm just way out of the teen-social group. Which is true anyways. Cutting my hair is not going to change that. ;)

Lollipop
July 20th, 2011, 06:10 PM
When I told her about CO she said all my hair will fall out. Needless to say, she doesn't know much about what I do now.

ETA: also, she has straight hair which she curls (has a perm now...) and when I showed her torrin paige's soft set video she just said it would be pretty if it was abou 6 in shorter. She really annoys me because she has more negative things to say than positive :mad:. When we're out she's always commenting on people's appearance.

aaperez
July 20th, 2011, 06:10 PM
My dad has actually got after my mom for letting me cut my hair bra strap length. :bigeyes: My mom likes my long hair and I'm now the only one in the family that has long hair because she and my brother had to cut there hair very short (pixy for my mom, gone for my brother) for work reasons but she is not fond/hates my fairy tail ends and wants me to cut it to a blunt end, :lala: that would make me lose years of growth because my hair grows slow :wail: .... so no :D sides i like fairy tail ends :p

Vanessa_za
July 20th, 2011, 06:51 PM
My mother aproves, she was happy when I told her that I wanted to go back to waist lenght :) !

rena
July 20th, 2011, 08:21 PM
My mom's not the one I have to worry about when it comes to my hair...

SwordWomanRiona
July 21st, 2011, 06:41 AM
Same here, my mum's great, and I've never have any problems from her when it comes to the decisions I take about my appearance, such as my wanting to have long hair. Mothers (anyone, really) shouldn't either approve or disapprove about that. The fact that too many do means people still see children as property in our present society. I hate that! :mad:

Coan-Teen
July 24th, 2011, 06:12 AM
My mother likes cheese. Ever since I devastated her when I was ten by cutting my hair super short without her permission (I wasn't allowed to cut my hair), she's been pretty laid back about my hair choices. I think she's happy I'm growing it again but she knows that I'll do as I please either way.

mrs.bad85
July 24th, 2011, 09:56 AM
My mom is glad that I have longer hair again and makes sure that she tells me often how much better my hair looks long (I have had a habit of growing my hair getting a bit longer that shoulder length and cutting it all off)

When I told her my new goal is BSL she was dubious she thought that I would start getting headaches from the weight.

pittsburgpam
July 24th, 2011, 10:01 AM
My mother passed away when I was 35 years old so I wish she could disapprove of my hair. I know she wouldn't though. I can't remember an instance when she ever critisized anything about me.

aliceinmadness
July 24th, 2011, 10:32 AM
My mother likes it in the sense that she wishes she had it. She just fumes with jealousy when I encourage the wave and body she's been trying to replicate for 50 years with perms, lol. I'm not sure if that counts as approval...

hypersensitive
July 24th, 2011, 11:53 AM
I thought my mother disapproved since she used to say things like, ur hair is too long. Lets cut it off to a bob like me. The horror! But then since ive been taking care of it lhc style, shes been giving me lots of compliments like wow your hair is so silky like a waterfall. today she was startled at how shiny it was this morning after i took out my sleeping braids. I am a very happy daughter haha. She even encourages me to oil my hair and use natural products!

wandlimb
July 24th, 2011, 12:07 PM
My mam doesn't mind what I do with my hair but she likes it long. I cut it very short in my teens and she never said anything until a couple of years after I decided to grow it. Then she said she thought it had been a bit too short then, but it was my hair. She likes the hairdos I get off here too.

furnival
July 24th, 2011, 01:14 PM
My mum has amazing thigh-length hair and used to frown at me when I did all the usual teenage dye-ing, shaving, nightmare stuff... now I'm trying to catch her up. Patience, she says. :sun:

Cainwen
July 24th, 2011, 01:25 PM
My mother has always been very supportive of my hair choices (except the pixie cut). She will comment if the ends get really damaged though and suggest I just get the ends trimmed. Which is probably a good thing at the end of the day :)

Celtic Morla
July 24th, 2011, 05:54 PM
My mum told me just a few weeks ag she liked me better with short hair but then againshe hasshort hair mostof her life!! I wonder what she'll say as it gets to my bum crack??LOL

Yame
July 24th, 2011, 06:12 PM
My mother is a hairdresser, so to her anything beyond BSL needs to be chopped off... :D

She always says it's too long, but I'm her daughter, so a lot of things I have or do are "too [insert adjective here]" for her. She knows I like it the way it is so she doesn't bother me too much about it.

She lives in a different country from me, but I actually let her trim my hair whenever I visit her, just to be sure I haven't been trimming too crookedly on my own. Like all hairdressers, she always trims more than I ask, but not too much because she knows I'll get very angry if the trims too much ;)

Each time, she says she's going to have someone sweep my hair from the floor as she finishes, so that I can't look and "measure" the hairs on the floor with my eyes. Each time she trims my hair, I look at the floor and complained she cut too much.

It didn't matter much since I was just maintaining length and not growing my hair out. Now I want to grow it a bit longer, so I guess she won't be trimming it for a few years.

Slinks
July 24th, 2011, 06:44 PM
people still see children as property in our present society. I hate that! :mad:

:-) this comment made me smile not because of how you worded it, that is true BUT because at 46 my parents still see me as their little girl .. I love that .. and I totally understand - my own children 1 at 19 and the other going on 18 are still my little kids .. they have always been free to express their own personalities tho .. my sons girlfriend thinks it's lovely (she lives with us) that I still class them as "my" kids ..

I posted earlier that my Mum and Dad support my hair growing .. and my Dad likes cheese ..

Islandgrrl
July 24th, 2011, 11:43 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to say my mom hates my hair, but she does think it's too long and looks better short. It does look good short, so I'll give her that. It just never feels good short. She's to the point where she doesn't say anything negative, though, and I appreciate that. Might be she's just glad it isn't knee length anymore.

But she doesnt know about my secret plan. Bwahahahaha...

AnqeIicDemise
July 25th, 2011, 04:04 AM
Mommy likes long hair. Hers was classic up until the 80s. I don't know why she got it cut, let alone so short (boyish hair). She started growing her hair out again last year.

Saranne772
July 25th, 2011, 06:19 AM
My mother disapproves of LHC but approves of my long hair. LOL

Scarlet_Heart
July 25th, 2011, 07:03 AM
While there is no shortage of things my mother disapproves of in regards to myself, long hair is not one of them. Mom is a life-long longhair.

ChristyM
July 25th, 2011, 10:08 AM

This just made my day. Love it.

My mom is pretty much the same. I'm never really sure what she is thinking. I do know that she likes my hair long, but not too long. I had my sister cut my hair up to my shoulders when I was a teen and she didn't talk to me for a week...go figure :)

Mebo
July 25th, 2011, 11:41 AM
My mom is 85, and still dyes her short hair auburn. She hates my hair. I don't really care what she thinks, and that's only one of the reasons I divorced my parents......

Jeno86
July 25th, 2011, 12:57 PM
My mother likes long hair on me just not as long as I plan on going. When I want to tell my parents about something, I tend to play it out as a joke to see their reactions. I was telling her that I wish I had known about Henna back when my hair was waist length. I joked that if I had known I wouldn't have had to cut off so much hair and that I would have knee length hair by now. My mother stopped, turned around and gave me this horrified/disgusted look. Well, going to have to get use to that look I suppose :P I still plan on having hair at least that length.

christine1989
July 25th, 2011, 01:06 PM
When I first proclaimed that I was going to grow my hair to waist she thought that it was a horrible idea. She said it would look bad because my hair was "too thin" and at the time it was quite thin from heat styling and over shedding. As I began taking better care of my hair it got thicker and heathier and my mom would comment on what a long way it had come. Now it is quite thick and she no longer makes comments that I should cut it. Although she still likes me best with a bob, she is quite impressed with the complete 180 my hair has done.

Misti
July 25th, 2011, 01:23 PM
My mother kept my hair in a pixie until I was 12 and from then on, she's thought it was too long. When I passed 40, she thought it was *really* too long.

Fortunately, I have started wearing my hair up most of the time as it's gotten toward tbl, so she doesn't have to look at it. That combined with an incident where she told me (again)that my bun made me look like an old lady. This time it was in front of her baby sister, who then commented "But don't you remember? Maman always wore her hair in a pug, too!"

My mother hasn't had a lot to say about my hair since then. :)

I'm still not sure what a pug is, but I am amused.

darklyndsea
July 25th, 2011, 04:11 PM
As long as I take care of it, my mom is supportive of whatever I want to do with my hair (well, okay, she wasn't supportive of my desire to dye my hair blue back when I wanted to, but that's a different matter).

kidari
July 25th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I voted cheese because she used to disapprove of hair past APL for everyone. She has the typical short permed hair that a lot of older women get. However, recently she chopped it into a pixie and she says my dad has been complaining daily. So I actually convinced her to stop perming, stop dying, stop teasing, stop using hairspray and velcro rollers and hair dryers on it! I convinced her to let it all go grey and grow it long so she could put it in elaborate updos. So we're going to start growing our hair long together! Yay!

eternalknot
July 25th, 2011, 11:21 PM
My mom's hair has always been past her waist, so she would never disapprove of her daughters having longer hair. Where and when she grew up, long hair was more common than not. Every woman wore her hair long, bunned or braided up.

Das Siechtum
July 26th, 2011, 11:54 AM
My mom always liked my hair, also since its growing long (beyond classic right now). I think its because I also do different things with it, like buns and braids.

jared.mccree
November 25th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Mebo, hello! I read a former post of your about a defendant having dreams about your hair. Are you an attorney? What type? I also saw you were in the military. Which branch? How long is your hair now and how long do you want it?

moon2dove
November 25th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I can't really say what my mum thinks yet, because we live about 300+ miles from each other and although we speak on the phone, I haven't thought to actually tell her. I will be seeing her just after the new year and I'm sure she will notice my hair is (fingers/toes crossed) longer than it has ever been. I will know then, I suppose :)
I secretly hope she approves!

moon2dove
November 25th, 2011, 12:23 PM
I voted cheese because she used to disapprove of hair past APL for everyone. She has the typical short permed hair that a lot of older women get. However, recently she chopped it into a pixie and she says my dad has been complaining daily. So I actually convinced her to stop perming, stop dying, stop teasing, stop using hairspray and velcro rollers and hair dryers on it! I convinced her to let it all go grey and grow it long so she could put it in elaborate updos. So we're going to start growing our hair long together! Yay!

Awww!! That is so nice!:D:D

moxamoll
November 25th, 2011, 12:27 PM
My mom is in the "whatever makes you happy" camp. I'm sure I've had styles and colours over the years that she liked more or less, but she'd never say anything mean. I think she was just happy when I was old enough to take care of it myself - having her brush my hair was torture no matter how long it was! :p

And she also adores cheese! Just for her: :cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese:

ebba
November 25th, 2011, 12:36 PM
my mom always likes my hair!
I grew up admiring her black, curly APL hair and nowadays my dad keeps trying to get her to cut it short but she keeps it longish and i love it.

BlondieHepburn
November 25th, 2011, 12:38 PM
I can't imagine why a mother would disapprove of her daughter's beautiful long hair! One would think she'd be proud! :shrug:
My mom has always been a long-hair advocate and she was the sad one when I chopped off my tailbone-length hair to my chin at 18.
I realise now that I am rather fortunate to have a mother who not only approves of my long hair, but taught me how to grow it that way. :heartbeat
As for those of you who face disapproval but continue to grow in spite of it, good for you!! :rockerdud

BlondieHepburn
November 25th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I can't imagine why a mother would disapprove of her daughter's beautiful long hair!

I can't imagine why a mother would disapprove of her son or daughter's beautiful long hair! Sorry, fellas...

Druid of Alba
November 25th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Well, I'm a guy, so I suppose that's a reason right there why she might disapprove. She doesn't like it, but she doesn't tell me to cut it or anything, she knows I'll do what I want irregardless, so she just doesn't ever talk about it, which is fine by me.

Rowan1980
November 25th, 2011, 01:16 PM
It isn't a topic that comes up as I tend to have more in common with my dad. Either way, it doesn't matter.

Orangerthanred
November 25th, 2011, 01:25 PM
My mother doesn't care. If I shaved my head, she'd still think my hair is pretty.

BlondieHepburn
November 25th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Well, I'm a guy, so I suppose that's a reason right there why she might disapprove. She doesn't like it, but she doesn't tell me to cut it or anything, she knows I'll do what I want irregardless, so she just doesn't ever talk about it, which is fine by me.

I adore men with gorgeous long hair! Ironically, my husband is bald. :p

Tota
November 25th, 2011, 02:29 PM
My mother somewhat likes my hair the way it is now, although she thinks it is boring. But when I recently told her that I'm serious about letting my hair grow to TBL, she was shocked and disgusted. She said that I am too old to wear hair like that and that it's 'immature' for a 27-year-old to care so much about hair. I'm so thankful fot the LHC to see that I'm not weird and stupid because I want long hair. I'll just have to wear my hair up whenever I visit her because her comment can be quite nasty.

Amber_Maiden
November 25th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I'd say disapproves. She doesn't like vanity, and sees my growing my hair as vain.

NotInPortland
November 25th, 2011, 03:08 PM
My mother doesn't like my disgusting ratty ends (aka fairytale ends which I like in my wavy hair thank you very much!!). I don't think she minds too much about the length....yet. I'm just waiting for the nagging and complaining to begin :D

Shuan
November 25th, 2011, 03:42 PM
She disapproves of mine, I get the occasional "When are you going to cut it off?" once in a while. Not paying too much attention to it though.

aisha.christine
November 25th, 2011, 04:27 PM
My mom approves of me growing my hair out, but she is especially happy that I'm growing out my natural hair color, and embracing my texture. I've straightened and dyed my hair since I was 11, and then kept it really short all throughout high school, so when I told her I wanted to grow my hair out she was so happy. It's nice to have approval from my mom. I would be so sad if she hated the idea of me having long hair. :(

Aliped
November 25th, 2011, 04:33 PM
My mom HATES my long hair. Besides the typical "witch" comment some get, she even went so far as to tell me I will never get a job unless I cut my hair :confused:

I get that a lot!

KwaveT
November 25th, 2011, 06:02 PM
My mother thoroughly disapproves of me having long hair. She tells me my hair is nasty and filthy and says anything else to try to discourage me from growing it. It is not even long yet and the fireworks have begun.

Mina17
November 25th, 2011, 06:32 PM
I voted that my mother likes cheese. My hair's not really long yet, but I don't think my mother would tell me whether she approved of my hair or not. She generally thinks it's not her business anymore to voice her opinion of me, to my face anyway.;)

MonaLisa
November 25th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Mine kind of does...disapprove :(

Ceridwen Iris
November 25th, 2011, 07:04 PM
My mum would LOVE to have long long hair herself, and strongly discouraged me from cutting it when I was a teenager (it was around waist length).

She is very happy to see my hair long again.

Egana
November 25th, 2011, 07:27 PM
My mother has had VERY short hair herself (1.5 inches or so, close cut all over) since college, and she can't imagine why I would want to have my BIG hair as long as it is, or even longer. Whenever I wear it down, she comments on how much hassle it must be. She doesn't really give me any grief, though, and comments on how lovely it is, etc. (which is nice!!!) So I guess she approves, but she doesn't understand. *grin*

clairenewcastle
November 25th, 2011, 07:30 PM
I don't have long hair any more but when I did my mother strongly disaprroved of it.

holothuroidea
November 25th, 2011, 07:49 PM
My mom always hacked it off when I was little because it would get so thin and scraggly when it was longer, when she encouraged me to SC everyday and did 100 strokes every day with a BBB without ever detangling. I was very relieved to get it cut just to not have to endure the pain of the brushing.

My hair isn't long yet. I told her I'm growing it out and she really didn't seem to care either way. However, when I told her the reasons I thought my hair looked scraggly before and what I was doing to change it she gave me some serious stink-face.

When she came over for thanksgiving she told me my hair looked nice. I told her I stopped using brushes and combs and she replied, "Yeah, it really looks like it needs a brush." o_o She then proceeded to take her comb out of her purse and comb my hair with it. It was a wide tooth comb and I had already detangled and dried my hair so it wasn't really an issue but it was kind of stupid.

When she came at me with the comb I said, "Don't break my hair!!" She laughed and informed me that hair does not break. :rolleyes:

ETA: The really stupid thing about all of this is that I've brushed my hair again a few times since this because I felt self conscious of un-brushed hair. Even though she said it looked nice before I told her I didn't brush it!!! Why are moms so powerful this way? lol

cnd0020
November 25th, 2011, 08:44 PM
My mom disapproves. She's had chin length or ear length for the past 25 years, so I suppose she just doesn't understand why I'd want to bother with it long.

MissAlyssa
November 25th, 2011, 09:07 PM
My mom doesn't dissaprove, She's always let me do whatever I want with my hair, but she does think some of the things I do to my hair are weird, and can't really understand why I dont style my hair or use products ;P

Pumpkin
November 26th, 2011, 02:34 AM
Even though I am a grown adult, my mother hates that I am growing my hair long again. When I am around her, I just wear it up...seems to keep her negative statements at bay.

dili
November 26th, 2011, 02:57 AM
my mom and my grandma always say i should grow my hair longer...but when i had it going to be hip lenght she told me to cut, but was very damaged...
now i dont know what she will say if i grow my hair REALLY long...

almond
November 26th, 2011, 04:05 AM
My mom used to hate my long hair, she always said I would look better with short hair, and that it makes no sense having long hair if I wear it up. I have always been trying to grow it, but let her trim it to get rid of the damage. She always chopped it back to shoulder or APL, and I didn't realize that I could cut if myself. She never had longer hair than SL.
Since a year and a half I trim it myself, and got from APL to almost waist and am happy with it...
Now she decided to grow out her short hair too! :D

CurlyCap
November 26th, 2011, 04:14 AM
My mom didn't really believe I was taking all possible steps to grow my hair back after my big chop.

To prove her point, she grew her hair out from APL to waist in year. :bigeyes: :wail:

Genetics. Sigh.

MasCat
November 26th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Cheese. with wine. And walnuts.

As long as I can have braided pigtails she is happy :) But she would probably love it even if I'd cut it. She never had her hair past chin :O

Ice~Cold~Wind
November 26th, 2011, 07:56 AM
My mom has loved my hair no matter what length it has been. She even got on my case when I started to neglect it.

I'm the only person in my family who has ever had hair longer than my mid back, but so far I haven't gotten any crap for it. Lol.

Ice~Cold~Wind
November 26th, 2011, 08:01 AM
My mom didn't really believe I was taking all possible steps to grow my hair back after my big chop.

To prove her point, she grew her hair out from APL to waist in year. :bigeyes: :wail:

Genetics. Sigh.

I wacked my hair as well(a good foot of it)and I didn't take any measures to ensure its growth(had a small bout of mild depression due to job issues e_e)but it has gone from a bob to APL in less than 6 months. That's about a good 6-7inches. :D I dunno, some people can grow their hair pretty quickly.

papillion
November 26th, 2011, 08:34 AM
My mum likes my hair long, and is very good about being constantly asked to take photos of it! Her hair is shoulder length now, but when I was small it used to be around waist length.

She's always been supportive of whatever I do to my hair, ever since I was 10 and asked to start growing my hair long.

Mayflower
November 26th, 2011, 09:23 AM
My mom (now 48 years old) has had long hair all of her life, which she now maintains at waistlenght. She has always loved me with (very) short hair because according to her I have a very feminine face so I can get away with it. I've had short hair quite some time in my teens though, so she doesn't mind me growing it out now.

She comments at how long it is getting from time to time and how healthy/shiny it looks. She's not the biggest fan of me henndigo'ing it a dark dark colour but other than that she's very supportive! I wish I had more of her hairgenes though:( her hair is sooo thick and healthy (even though she just shampoos it, not even conditioner!) and never gets greasy.

Annibelle
November 26th, 2011, 10:28 AM
My mom doesn't care one way or another. I don't think she's ever noticed my hair. Maybe when it gets really long, she'll say something... but it's not long enough to merit notice yet. ;)

akuamoonmaui
November 26th, 2011, 01:11 PM
My Mom has never liked long hair. She always is critical that "it isn't healthy" or "the ends are scraggly". She's reluctantly complimented mine, it seems she likes it even though she doesn't want to.

I can chalk it up to LHC!

sneakybea
November 26th, 2011, 01:29 PM
My mother teases me about my long hair, but I'm not sure how much she really dislikes it or how much she really does it to get under my skin. I am pretty sure that my physical appearance in general isn't something my mother cares that strongly about--it's who I am inside that counts.
But my mother does like cheese . . .

Ava666
November 26th, 2011, 10:03 PM
My mum approves of my hair. she's starting to grow her hair out :D oh and she said she also likes cheese.

Sunsailing
November 26th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Lost my mother a few years ago. She really hated me growing my hair. She would make more comments to my wife about it than me....thinking that my wife would have more influence to convince me to cut it.

My mother-in-law makes comments, but not to me directly. She showed my son a picture of me during Thanksgiving and commented about how much better I looked with short hair. My son disagreed, mostly because he has never known me with short hair.

allio21
November 26th, 2011, 11:01 PM
My mom had longer hair than me at my age but she hates having long hairs everywhere in her house. On the other hand my dad HATED when I cut my hair super short 2 summers ago.

beckishness
November 26th, 2011, 11:05 PM
I am fortunate to have a mother that compliments my hair. Every time I see her she always has something nice to say, and she always asks me for hair care tips. :)

Modarunner
November 27th, 2011, 12:17 AM
My mom likes my hair any way as long as its my natural color, she hated it when I used to dye my hair dark brown and black and add crazy colors to it. She's fine with my hair long, but I'll never tell her what my hair length goals(mid-thigh), because she would probably think that was too long. Also, I never tell her about my natural hair care routine, that would be too weird for her.

Elayne
November 27th, 2011, 01:49 PM
When I was young my mother kept my hair very short because it was "easier to deal with"

She has been pestering my to cut my hair since before it was even shoulder length.

Ava666
November 27th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Elayne, when I was younger my mom made me keep my hair short too. although her reasons were basically the same, it was when I started taking care of my hair (since she always had to yell at me just to get my hair brushed) then I could do whatever style/length I wanted.

jacqueline101
November 27th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Mine thinks my hair looks unkempt long but this time around I'm taking care of it.

Dragon Faery
November 27th, 2011, 06:27 PM
My mother likes long hair on me just not as long as I plan on going. When I want to tell my parents about something, I tend to play it out as a joke to see their reactions. I was telling her that I wish I had known about Henna back when my hair was waist length. I joked that if I had known I wouldn't have had to cut off so much hair and that I would have knee length hair by now. My mother stopped, turned around and gave me this horrified/disgusted look. Well, going to have to get use to that look I suppose :P I still plan on having hair at least that length.

I feel my parents out like this too, for similar reasons.

I'd say disapproves. She doesn't like vanity, and sees my growing my hair as vain.

Same.

In general, she's very supportive of me. But the hair is a tricky business. She's usually telling me I have nice hair and it's pretty, and things like that. And she's interested in the things I'm learning here. But when I talk about growing my hair longer intentionally, she disapproves of the time and money I spend on products and treatments (more time than money); and she says that if it's too long it will look disproportionate and out of balance; and she asks if I think I'm being vain about it.

Usually I reply with something about how I'm not spending any more time on my hair than most women spend on their daily beauty routines, and my routine is cheaper and less damaging, and I'd rather spend my money and time on this than on makeup and jewelry. (Have to make sure to mention the makeup since she wan't be caught anywhere without it.)

But yeah. She thinks it's a bit vain anyway.

catamonica
November 27th, 2011, 06:39 PM
My mother is living In another state. She wouldnt like my waist length hair. And Im not going to
tell her. She would just say you need to cut it.

FrozenBritannia
November 27th, 2011, 07:05 PM
My mom likes cheese!:cheese:

When I was very little, she kept my hair short. Apparently I hated sitting still for the combing. But by the time I was four I had waist length hair, and I kept it more or less till I was seven. The longest it has been since then was last summer, and it was again nearly waist. She liked it, I think. As a teen she disliked when my hair got past shoulder, but the last time I saw her she commented that she didn't think my hair would ever get waist length again(because of it falling out) and she seemed wistful. My hair is just last shoulder now, and I'm aiming for tailbone!

weddy
November 27th, 2011, 07:31 PM
When I was younger, she'd be ok either way, ONLY if it was healthy, shiny, and trimmed nicely, otherwise she'd say I needed a haircut just to make it appear healthier.

She didn't say much about my length during my 30's, maybe it was because I was carrying enough extra pounds that it made my face rounder LOL. But when I lost weight in my late 30's and did a big chop to remove dead straw, she was all over me about how cute she thought it was, until my "worst hair cut ever" a few months later, when all the women I knew gave me "sympathetic looks" LOL

Now she's been on me about how bad my faded orange looked, and how I finally had enough silver to "pull it off". Well since DH had been saying the same for a few years, I figured I'd make us all happy and go silver. But I haven't visited my mom since me and my stylist both decided to keep it shoulder length during the grow out - she'll probably disagree and think I should have done the big chop to get rid of all the dyed hair. Oh well ^_^

catamonica
November 27th, 2011, 08:56 PM
My mother is living In another state. She wouldnt like my waist length hair. And Im not going to
tell her. She would just say you need to cut it.

PixxieStix
November 27th, 2011, 09:20 PM
I have a wonderfully supportive mother who nearly cried the day I had her chop off my BSL/Waist hair to 1 inch. But, she understood why, and now that she knows I'm growing out again, she cannot wait to see where it goes. She's a henna/indigo head, and now her daughter is a happy henna head too. :D She pretty much rocks is all I can say. She is supportive of my FH growing out his hair long too. She'll be doing both our hair for the wedding in July 2012.

BunnyBee
November 27th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Hmm i think some of these mothers are jealous XD

My mum wants to grow her hair too :) She'd be very upset if i cut mine short. I've had plenty of other people disapprove though. Why do people always feel the need to give their un asked for opinions on how you look??

She loves cheese too though!

Diamond.Eyes
November 27th, 2011, 11:24 PM
My mom likes the fact that I'm growing my hair out. She was excited when I told her I wanted to go back to my natural color a few years ago, and she's even happier that it's getting long. But when I used to live with her, I think all of the strange things I used to put in my hair freaked her out a bit :laugh:. I'm glad that my DF doesn't mind as much as she did :).

Totte
November 28th, 2011, 12:29 AM
Mine does. Hence I had boyish cuts until the last year of high school and was frequently mistaken for a boy>_>

PriscillaCherel
November 28th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Mine approves, when I was 10 and cut it in a V-shape(tailbone lenght) she was in shock!!.. She supports me to get that length back again because she knows it's just fits and is... me:)

Garnetgem
January 22nd, 2016, 08:59 PM
My mother approves and she was disappointed when i cut it short and now i am growing it back she says grow it longer this time! and yeah i sure will...:)

lapis_lazuli
January 22nd, 2016, 10:50 PM
Grr, my mom did disapprove of it at first but since I've been wearing it up, I think she's indifferent. She'll drop 'subtle' suggestions to go to the hairdresser's but she won't convince me!

See below:
My mom: Why don't you cut it? Me: Shhh, don't listen to the bad lady...

http://cs628522.vk.me/v628522829/13fc0/8B1l-7FYxG8.jpg

VisionOne
January 23rd, 2016, 01:22 AM
My mother has had short hair her whole life. She claims that her ends just breaks as she hits shoulder length and therefore she has had the same pixie cut for at least 15 years. My mother thought my length goal of around TBL-classic was quite extreme at first, and she still kind of does even though she does not comment on it anymore.
Now she is quite supportive and tells me my hair looks nice when it is freshly washed or in a nice braid. The only time she complains is when she finds my long, shed hairstrands all over the house... haha! :whistle:

Angela_Rose
January 23rd, 2016, 04:46 AM
At first, she thought I was bonkers for wanting to let it grow, let it grow, let it grow. But now, since I have been in "that phase" for so long, she has come over to my side. Several years ago, I visited her office for the first time, and when she was introducing me to a co-worker, she said, "this is my daughter with all the hair," reached behind me, pulled out my stick and bun, and spun me around by my shoulders. So...

gregh
January 23rd, 2016, 06:09 AM
Mom did not approve of her son going long. She comments less now that I can tie it back, just a "that ponytail is getting really long" every once in a while.

parkmikii
January 23rd, 2016, 06:14 AM
My mom is quite supportive but she thinks length past thigh are 'exaggerated' XD

Platzhalter
January 23rd, 2016, 06:17 AM
My mother usually minds her own business and doesn't seem to care :shrug:

humble_knight
January 23rd, 2016, 07:02 AM
My mum used to say I looked like I was in Al-Qaeda. Now that ISIS are on the scene, she sometimes says I look as if I'm one of them.

lapushka
January 23rd, 2016, 07:25 AM
My mom neither approves nor disapproves. She likes whatever I like. It's never been a problem. Not that she won't have comments on it (always :lol:) but my hair is mine to do with as I please. She does like APL/BSL length on me more, I think. Just for the fact that I can wear it down then and she loves the thickness of it. You can't really tell that with the bun I have now and so... yeah. Cheese. :D

Beatrixity
January 23rd, 2016, 09:32 AM
At first, she thought I was bonkers for wanting to let it grow, let it grow, let it grow. But now, since I have been in "that phase" for so long, she has come over to my side. Several years ago, I visited her office for the first time, and when she was introducing me to a co-worker, she said, "this is my daughter with all the hair," reached behind me, pulled out my stick and bun, and spun me around by my shoulders. So...

My goodness! What a fabulous introduction! I'd like to have hair long enough to do that some day. :)

My mother completely supports my efforts to grow to new lengths. She listens to all the chemistry behind hair that I've learned and isn't too freaked out at what I put in my hair. She was NOT a fan of the two months I was NW/SO, but I can't blame her, that was pretty extreme. My mom is pretty much happy with any length as long as I don't bleach or dye, she's afraid of all the chemicals. I think the most indicative thing she's done to support my hair growth journey is that for Christmas she gave me a silk pillowcase and ficcare, just because she knew I've been eyeing them forever! I have a lot to be thankful for. :love:

missrandie
January 23rd, 2016, 09:51 AM
Mom and I both had long hair in my younger years, and over the last... 10 years or so we both did the cut/color/experimenting thing. She thought that she was getting too old for long hair and cut it into a bob, which simply showcased all her silvers. I pixied mine, and never truly loved it.

Then one day I tell her that I'm starting to grow it out, and she laughed at me! She was already back to APL. Silly woman got a head start on me.

She is now at MBL, with a silver canopy and hair the color of mine further down. And here I am, just past CBL.

She definitely approves of long hair :)

chen bao jun
January 23rd, 2016, 10:42 AM
Doesn't disapprove exactly--sometimes she greatly approves--but at other times gets frustrated with her own hair and then gets nasty about mine.

I realized this last time I visited when she told me that 'all my hair' looked wild and 'too thick'not very good and pulled it (not in a loving way--it hurt).

Then a couple of hours later she lets out that she'd gone and had a hair weave that had broken her hair off AGAIN (its not the first time) and given her bald spots and set her back a great deal from the last when I was there, when she had been applying castor oil and keeping her hair natural and it had grown to thick brastrap, the same length I pretty much usually have, since childhood, but which is more problematic for her more fragile hair (especially becasue, TBH, she abuses her hair much more than I'd ever abuse mine and then gets mad when it has a bad result, which it always does.)

I've learned to take her remarks about my hair with a great deal of salt, because much more than is usually the case with a mother, they are COMPLETELY tied in with, how her hair is doing at the time.

But always to other people, she is very proud of me and my sister's hair and the longer it is, the prouder she is of it.

ETA: She's always said stuff like 'If I had your hair' and last time I saw her, I pretty much said straight out (after the hair-pulling thing, which was really uncalled for, I still think), that if she had my hair, she wouldn't have my hair. If I hair-weaved, and jheri curled and hair dyed and relaxed bone straight every 6 weeks and all of the other stuff she is always doing at different times, I wouldn't have any more hair than she usually does; though I admit my hair is naturally stronger, nobody's hair could take the stuff she does (when she goes in quest of 'easyness and low maintenance' and survive.)

I love her greatly and she certainly does naturally have beautiful hair--but we are keeping a good relationship at the moment by NOT HAVING ANY HAIR DISCUSSIONS OF ANY KIND. She is also not allowed to pull my hair again like that. I mean, really.

MandyBeth
January 23rd, 2016, 11:12 AM
Mine never cared about length, but spent many hours bemoaning the fact I refuse to have "normal" hair - that mid blonde shade, then straighten, then curl/wave....

My best friend, her mom has known me since I was 10. She flipped a bit first time I wore a ponytail in front of her because she was so used to my very short hair. But she's nice about it and loves her claimed grandchildren all have long hair. Doesn't see anything weird about Minion having floor + length hair.

Hairkay
January 23rd, 2016, 11:15 AM
My mother likes my hair the length it is. What I have gotten from her was some sort of heat straightening tool. A hint that she'd like to see my hair straightened at least once. I've never used it. It's gathering dust at the back of the wardrobe. I just grumbled that my skin can't take the heat.

languagenut
January 23rd, 2016, 01:16 PM
My mom has had past-waist-length hair for as long as I can remember, and she (who does all the haircuts in our family) never gave me more than a little trim. So obviously she likes long hair. She does seem to be still a little sad that when I was a kid she liked to style my hair and I always resisted. I wanted to climb trees or something, not sit around while someone plays with my hair! And she always pulled it too tight, and it hurt my scalp. Now she likes to buy me hair accessories, even though she knows that often as not they don't work with my hair. But the Flexi-8s and hair sticks she bought me for Christmas 2014 have been a great success!

I'm quite sure that if I got my hair cut significantly shorter, she would be disappointed, though I don't think she'd try to force me to keep it as it is. But she needn't worry, as I like it how it is. :-)

MsPharaohMoan
January 23rd, 2016, 04:37 PM
My mother completely supports my efforts to grow to new lengths. She listens to all the chemistry behind hair that I've learned and isn't too freaked out at what I put in my hair. She was NOT a fan of the two months I was NW/SO, but I can't blame her, that was pretty extreme. My mom is pretty much happy with any length as long as I don't bleach or dye, she's afraid of all the chemicals. I think the most indicative thing she's done to support my hair growth journey is that for Christmas she gave me a silk pillowcase and ficcare, just because she knew I've been eyeing them forever! I have a lot to be thankful for. :love:

Mom and I both had long hair in my younger years, and over the last... 10 years or so we both did the cut/color/experimenting thing. She thought that she was getting too old for long hair and cut it into a bob, which simply showcased all her silvers. I pixied mine, and never truly loved it.

Then one day I tell her that I'm starting to grow it out, and she laughed at me! She was already back to APL. Silly woman got a head start on me.

She is now at MBL, with a silver canopy and hair the color of mine further down. And here I am, just past CBL.

She definitely approves of long hair :)

These were so happymaking to read.

"How long are you going to go?" My mother with concerned, wide eyes.
"Below my butt," me all proud :eyebrows:
I think she's just happy I'm happy :lol:

goneJackal
January 23rd, 2016, 06:37 PM
My mother disapproves my hair. She frequently tells me I should cut it.
Last week, though, she said "Your hair looks great, son. But you should cut it."

http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_lingua.gif

Red.
January 23rd, 2016, 07:32 PM
My mom loves my hair and says she wishes she could take it for herself. :p

mary*rose
January 24th, 2016, 10:00 AM
My mom REALLY doesn't like the fact that I'm NW, but we stopped talking about it. She'll comment on when I do something nice with my hair, though. I know she thinks fishtails and braided updos are pretty.

Olavi
January 24th, 2016, 10:18 AM
A) My mom really, really likes cheese. All cheese. So far, I haven't heard her saying she didn't like some particular cheese. I could maybe gift her cheese every birthday and Christmas for rest of her life and she would be more than happy.

B) She doesn't really care whether I have long or short hair, dyed or not dyed, etc. as long as I like my hair. She may comment if she notices something new or something weird or something she knows I wouldn't like but haven't noticed myself (like tangle). Oh, and she thinks some aspects of my hair care are funny, like S&D and special brushes and hair ties, and may make fun of them but not in mean manner :D

lapis_lazuli
January 24th, 2016, 11:55 AM
My mom REALLY doesn't like the fact that I'm NW, but we stopped talking about it. She'll comment on when I do something nice with my hair, though. I know she thinks fishtails and braided updos are pretty.

Same with my mom. She likes it when I 'do' something with it.

Rhodugune
January 24th, 2016, 01:41 PM
I started to want my hair long when I was about 5, and then my mum was against it as I didnt know how to care for it myself, so she told me so when I asked.
And I was very upset but I understood her reason for it as I was really against letting her brushing my hair as my scalp was so sensitive and I used to get these big ratnests at the back of my head that made it into a fight every time she tried to brush them out.

But she made me a deal, when I could wash it myself and brush it regularly so I wouldnt get those big tangles anymore I could grow it as long as I wanted.

And that is what I did, by the time I was six I was growing my hair out and since then she never minded what I did with my hair as its my hair and my body.
She past away over 10 years ago and she used to give me lots of compliments on my hair over the years, so I think she felt long hair suited me.

Gaalsong
January 25th, 2016, 09:32 AM
My mom is a hippie cat lady with tons of kids, and she has long curly hair which she dies red sometimes. We call her Mrs. Weasley. She loves my long hair goals and also other things I do that are against the norm. We are rebels!

My grandmother is another story.