PDA

View Full Version : Longer Lengths: Do You Turban After Washing (How Do you Do It?)

Snowymoon
June 24th, 2008, 05:10 PM
For those of you with longer lengths who turban your hair after washing it, how the heck do you do it? My hair is now longer than my towel, and I am curious as to how y'all longer-length folks handle that. :o (I have been a plopper for a long time, but I am interested in trying new things as my hair is getting so much longer these days).

Katurday
June 24th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Okay, I don't have long hair anymore, but I once did and I remember this problem.
I pretty much remember bunning loosely at the top of my head before doing the turban.
Only thing that worked for me.
D;

Chromis
June 24th, 2008, 05:16 PM
My hair is already longer than my turbie lol! I fold the ends up so it all fits in the towel. My hair never gets completely dry with a towel, but that does dry it enough to not be sopping.

misstwist
June 24th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Cinnamon Hair has helpful instructions on this on her site.

http://feline.home.mchsi.com/hairtowel/

Deborah
June 24th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Like Chromis, I just fold or sort of loop the part that hangs out, back on top of the rest of the hair. It works great.

LongForLife
June 24th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Well, my hair is the same length as yours, and I usually turban it. I only leave it in the turban for maybe 10-20 min though, and then I let it air dry down my back, most of the time.

I do have oversize towels, so this might help, but my hair is still much longer than the towel. I just bend forward so my hair is hanging down in front of me and then put the towel under the back. Cross over and form the turban as usual for any length. Then I flip it back to normal position and then usually just tuck the bottom section that is hanging out of the turban, up into the rest of the hidden hair. Occasionally I have a little of the ends sticking out, but that is just because I didn't really care. If you tuck them in there tight enough, they will stay. :)

Belisama
June 24th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Cinnamon Hair has helpful instructions on this on her site.

http://feline.home.mchsi.com/hairtowel/

Thanks for the link. :) My hair is quickly approaching the too-long for my hair towel and I have been wondering how in the world I was going to make it fit or if I would have to search for a new one.

Aisha25
June 24th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I bun my dripping wet hair very loosely on top of my head then very carefully wrap the towel on top of it make sure not to twist the bun into it;).

LongForLife
June 24th, 2008, 05:29 PM
LOL That link has such a small tidy turban... you should see my towel turban style.. looks more like the beehive hairstyle. ROFL

LongForLife
June 24th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I noticed that Cinnamon Hair's way is to avoid the hair flipping over that I do. As she says, to help tangles from forming.
I however am pretty lucky there. As long as I use conditioner, I can do all sorts of things, and my hair doesn't tangle at all. So my way may not work for many people.

Cheery
June 24th, 2008, 05:35 PM
I do the same as Cinnamon Hair. I have a turban thingy that was supposedly designed for long hair, but my waist length is quite a bit too long for it. I just fold the extra length into the turban and there you go.

missmanytoes
June 24th, 2008, 06:19 PM
I use one of these in extra-large: http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Summit-Towel-X-Large-Eucalyptus/dp/B0018DP77E/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1214350313&sr=1-20 I have to turn it so that I am wrapping my head with the short side, but man, this towel WORKS.

Ursula
June 24th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Well, I got myself a very large towel - a 24"x 48" "bath/drying" waffle weave towel from here: http://www.neatitems.com/microfiber_waffle_cloths.htm

I flip my head over, and arrange the towel lengthwise, so that the short end gets wrapped around my hairline, and then the length gets wrapped overlapping that and going down the length. The ends that stick out get folded up and twisted after the initial wrap of the end of the towel over the length. Then the coil of towel and hair gets flipped up over my head and down my back.

This holds quite securely, for up to an hour, and really wicks the water out of my hair without pulling it into frizz. The waffle-weave is a very thin towel, so it is not overly heavy or bulky.

If I was to go back and buy again, I'd probably get the largest towel, rather than the second-largest, but the second largest still works fine. On the other hand, the larger towel might not be as tidy a fit wrapped around my head, even if there was extra length...

spidermom
June 24th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I use a soft flannel pillowcase, bend forward, and drop my hair inside.

Cichelle
June 24th, 2008, 08:30 PM
I loosely twist my hair and put it on top of my head, then I put the turban over it.

Anje
June 24th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Shorter than you, but I do the folding-hair-at-the-nape-over-the-head thing that Cinnamon describes on her site. My hair isn't hanging out of normal bath towels yet, but when it does, I think I'll just double it back toward my neck again. It'll be a long time before a doubled ponytail hangs out of a towel!

Cinnamon Hair
June 24th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I was going to mention I had a tutorial on that, but looks like I'm late to the party. :D

yldchyld
June 24th, 2008, 10:13 PM
My hair is the same length as yours and really thick. I do the same thing other's here already said. I got a really wide, long microfiber towel from Bed Bath and Beyond and wrap it with it.
A tiny bit of the ends stick out, but I am not worried about that, I just tuck the end of the towel into the nape area.

I only turban for about 15 minutes because I have to blow dry my bangs straight or they go all wonky. I have been using the same towel for years, it looks awful...no longer white even tho I wash it fequently...but I love it.

Dianyla
June 24th, 2008, 10:30 PM
If I only have one towel, I do something similar to what Cinnamon Hair does. But, preferably, I use one full-size bath towel and one hand-towel. The hand towel splices onto the turban where the full-size bath towel leaves off. :)

julya
June 24th, 2008, 10:52 PM
I usually wrap the length up in a smallish microfiber towel, and kind of wind it up like a snake. Then I wrap that around my head and either cover the whole thing with my turbie twist or a buff. Works well for me.

Duchess of Erat
June 24th, 2008, 11:14 PM
I just put a big towel on top of my head and fold the ends around my hair (they cross at my neck, not my forehead). By making one side longer than the other, all my length fits in the towel. No idea yet what I'll do when that no longer works.

willowcandra
June 25th, 2008, 04:27 AM
I wash upright and before turbanning i do a twist like the start of a log roll and wrap my hair loosley like that before sticking the towel over. I only need a towel that's big enough to go round my head. But my hair is quite fine right now so it doesn't make a huge bulk.

Ms Monnie
June 25th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Get a turban from LisaJaney! She does really good x-long ones. I don't even bend over to put it on, I just let my hair hang down my back and the turban on "backwards" so I don't get any kinks during drying. Twist it up like a peacock twist and through the elastic loop then there'll be a few inches of towel still hanging over your eyes, I just tuck it under the bulk of the twist.

busnutmedic
June 25th, 2008, 04:38 AM
I don't turban anymore because I'm afraid of the damage it might cause! I'm not sure if it would or not, but I just put a towel around my shoulders and let my hair hang down my back.

Bonnie

EllisGurl
June 25th, 2008, 05:01 AM
My towel is 20x40. When my hair was shorter that was big enough but as it's gotten longer.... I take the short end of my towel and fold the right corner down so that the entire top edge is flush with the left edge. I then take the folded edge and drape it across the back of my neck as if to turban. I wrap it as I would a turban tucking the corner side under the long side and holding it in place with one hand whilst I wrap the length of the towel around the length of my hair. Finally, I twist the length gently and wrap it like a bun tucking the corner under and into the middle of the "bun" to hold it in place.

HTH

wonderlywroughte
June 25th, 2008, 05:24 AM
I use a microfiber towel that was made for use on dogs. :D So, it's really big and long. I drape it longways over my head so that the towel is still longer than my hair, and that way I can twist it up and make a bun with it. That way, I'm not folding up my hair or anything and I can still get good curl formation. :D

Snowymoon
June 25th, 2008, 09:51 AM
All very good advice. Thank you. :flowers:

Wonderly, may I request photos or a diagram/drawing of your towel/bun technique? :p I would love to see exactly how you are doing that. My hair is never as wavy if I turban than it is when I plop, so I am curious if there is another way to do it and yet still get some waviness. :D

Koskaan
June 25th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I fold my hair against my head before putting the turban on.

First I fold the ends up until they reach the back of my head. Then I fold up again for a second time. The second fold makes the ends end up inside a pocket, kind of. Then I simply make the turban the usual way.

This way, the hair won't dry very well, because most of the hair isn't in contact with the towel, but after half an hour the hair is dry enough to be worn down without dripping.

Xandergrammy
June 25th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I use an Aquis body towel and my hair is longer than the towel, but I kind of roll the towel with the hair towards my head after I twist the turban. It doesn't stay up like this very long, but it stays long enough for most of the wet to get out.

wonderlywroughte
June 25th, 2008, 12:50 PM
All very good advice. Thank you. :flowers:

Wonderly, may I request photos or a diagram/drawing of your towel/bun technique? :p I would love to see exactly how you are doing that. My hair is never as wavy if I turban than it is when I plop, so I am curious if there is another way to do it and yet still get some waviness. :D

Sure, Snowy! I will snap some pics this afternoon!

jtl45
June 25th, 2008, 12:57 PM
I am a bit past waist and typically will put my hair up in a loose top knot before i put the towel/turban on as it seems to help hold it in place! If I am pressed for time its just down and air drying naturally.

eresh
June 25th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I do it the same way as cinnamonhair, so the length goes on top, but the scalphair doesn't go "upside down"

Lady Godiva
June 25th, 2008, 02:31 PM
I haven't put my hair in a turban for, oh, forever. When I do full-length washes, I squeeze my hair very, very gently down my side to remove the drippiness (rather like milking a cow), and then Hubs detangles it for me immediately.

joyful373
June 25th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I don't use a towel... I use a men's XXXL (not even sure of the size anymore-- I have to go check) T-shirt, and then lightly twist for "turbanning." (Hey, a new word :) ) I have fine hair so it's not quite bulky- hope that applies at least a little bit to what you're looking for.

Snowymoon
June 25th, 2008, 04:17 PM
I haven't put my hair in a turban for, oh, forever. When I do full-length washes, I squeeze my hair very, very gently down my side to remove the drippiness (rather like milking a cow), and then Hubs detangles it for me immediately.

I am so glad you replied here. I always wondered how you did that. :) Does it take long to dry that way, and do you just leave it out to air dry? I usually end up putting my hair in some sort of bun before it is dry, it never fails. :o I just don't have the patience, I suppose. I also worry about my hair being down when I apply body lotion, etc. I don't want to get other things in my hair. I suppose I could bun it up for that process, though. :hmm:

To those of you who suggested folding the ends up and then creating the turban, I felt like this when reading it: :doh::silly: Now why did not I think of that? :lol:

sapphire-o
June 25th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I also got some extra long turbies from LisaJaney. They're wonderful. Probably still not long enough for classic length or beyond, but my tailbone hair fit perfectly.

zaftig2k
June 25th, 2008, 08:33 PM
For those of you with longer lengths who turban your hair after washing it, how the heck do you do it? My hair is now longer than my towel, and I am curious as to how y'all longer-length folks handle that. :o (I have been a plopper for a long time, but I am interested in trying new things as my hair is getting so much longer these days).

I made myself some longer "Turbies" out of towels, and they work fabulous. I always use the Turbie after showering for about 15 minutes then finger comb it out or bun it until dry.

IdiotBird
June 25th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I turban, then fold the loose ends in the the towel and press down to suck up the moisture.