PDA

View Full Version : Is this trade-off worth it?

FluffSpider
July 16th, 2011, 10:03 AM
I've been trying to stretch washes for a long time. In the winter, my scalp isn't as oily, so I could stretch to 7 days, but it was annoying. Now, in the summer, I can do 5 max unless... I use mousse(Syoss volume lift). I'm on day 6, and my hair looks OK in a bun, still. In the summer, on days 5-6, my hair clumps at the roots, looks uberstringy no matter what I do(well, except wash)-now it looks like day 4 hair. I think I can stretch to 8-9. So the question is: Should I wash every 5 and not use mousse, or every 8 with mousse? Aside from the drying factor(not too concerned, I only apply it to the first 3 inches of hair, counting from the scalp), are there any other risks for long term use? Hair weakening?shedding?breakage?Would you do the trade-off?

Madora
July 16th, 2011, 10:36 AM
I'm curious. Why use mousse??? Does it protect your hair? Do you use it for any other purpose?

I realize not all people can stretch washes (depends a great deal on their lifestye and type of hair they have).

I can't stand anything on my hair but shampoo and conditioner and water...and just recently, using EVOO once a month.

I can stretch my washes to 6 weeks (and sometimes longer) but I brush 100 strokes every day, am not active, my hair is a little on the dry side, and I keep it covered (mostly) when I'm outdoors.

It would seem to me that the less you put on your hair..and if you keep it brushed daily, the more likely the possibility you could stretch your washes (if your hair type permitted).

If your hair is oily, then stretching washes wouldn't be advantageous for your hair type.

FluffSpider
July 16th, 2011, 10:42 AM
My hair gets greasy in 3-4 days, but given I'm an F, stretching really helps with breakage-My hair hates being wet.
The mousse kept it from 'clumping' at the roots, or looking too greasy. Imagine a half an inch per half an inch of scalp, with hairs on it. That surface, after 5-6 days, clumps into a ...well, clump the thickness of a wool thread(the kind you know scarves of). It looks horrible, and it's obviously greasy. BBBing slightly de-clumps it, but almost plasters it to my scalp.

cindy58
July 16th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I'm not all that into the "wash stretching" philosophy. Let how you want your hair to look and feel determine the frequency. If you think it needs it, wash it.

That said, I used to be a daily or every other day washer when my hair was shorter, now it's usually 2x a week, occasionally as long as 5 days. It just sort of evolved that way, but if you're not using styling products and wearing hair up, it doesn't tend to "need" to be washed as often.

torrilin
July 16th, 2011, 01:55 PM
What other stuff have you tried? If I *seriously* wanted to go as long as possible between wetting my hair... I can reasonably go 3-5 days off sebum distribution with my fingers and a boar bristle brush. Using a dry shampoo like baby powder or cocoa powder could easily get me through another 3-5 days. Maybe longer, but it's not something that interests me greatly so I haven't tried.

The reason it doesn't interest me is because the majority of my breakage is from handling. The longer I try to stretch washes and wetting my hair, the more brushing and combing I need to do. The more brushing and combing I do, the more breakage I get. So for my fine hair, it's better to get it wet fairly often, use my diluted vinegar rinses and conditioner often, and do a lot of wet braiding and bunning as if my hair were much curlier than it is.

Madora
July 16th, 2011, 02:05 PM
@ Fluffspider...

Thank you for the explanation re: mousse. I would say you might be able to stretch washes if you did not use the mousse, for the simple reason that the mousse attacts stuff from the air on to your hair.

Brushing daily helps keep the hair looking good and not clumpy, something that would drive me nuts.

It is HOW you brush..and with what KIND of bristles that are in that brush, that will ultimately determine how successful you can be with regard to stretching your washes. Of course if your hair is oily, stretching washes may not be an option.

Also, your brush should be kept squeaky clean during the time you're stretching washes. Washing your brush every other day will help you stretch washes because you are in effect brushing with a clean brush and not putting gunk back into your hair by using a dirty brush.

Brushing gently and SLOWLY with a boar bristle brush is the gentlest way to help stretch those washes. Good luck!

FluffSpider
July 16th, 2011, 02:22 PM
I know, I was pretty blown away when I noticed or well...didn't notice the greasies. It isn't logical to me either but somehow it holds...
I tried: CO.C-COW-C. Nettle tea(external and internal). BBBing. dry shampoo(one day fix), CWC. Straight shampoo. Sebum control serums. Stretching washes. Not stretching washes. Overwashing. Cold rinses. Cold rinses then shampooings. Blowfrying. Not blowfrying. Oiling scalp before wash. Not oiling scalp before wash. I can go on and on^^