PDA

View Full Version : Has your hair type and/or texture changed over the years?

DarkSky
July 16th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Just wondering what changes you have noticed in your hair type or texture over the years. Has it gone curlier or straighter, less frizzy/poofy etc. What were the causes of it? Hormones, growing out, change in hair care etc??

For me I think my changes have been attributed to hormones and childbirth. I've gone from 3b curls before having my first child to 3b/a after giving birth and now Im 3a with perhaps some 2c after my second child. My hair stylist told me at my last visit that she's noticed a big difference in my curls and frizz over the past few years. I'm not unhappy with the changes though since now I find my hair easier to manage. I do wonder how my curls will behave as my hair grows longer towards it's goal length though.

Please share your experiences :)

MissAlida
July 16th, 2011, 08:06 AM
I had a pixie cut for 3 years before I decided to grow it out again. Before the pixie, my hair was a 1b, maybe a 1c. After the pixie, it became 2c/3a. That is how it is now. I love my wurls and curls. They can be hard to manage sometimes, when frizz strikes:o. I always wanted 1a, very straight hair. But now that I have my curls, I don't think I would like to have straight hair anymore. Of course it would be easier to detangle and all, but I would miss my ringlets.So I'm happy with the change. Oddly enough, a short haircut changed the texture of my hairdressers hair also. She also went from straight to curly.:)

Peanutter
July 16th, 2011, 08:14 AM
My hair was thin but wurly till I hennaed it for 2 years, during which time it got straighter but got medium thick. Now I'm growing out the henna, but my hair is straight and not thick anymore :( Im hoping when the henna grows out a few more inches I'll get the curls back, but its scary for now!

Asahinasan
July 16th, 2011, 09:26 AM
After my first pregnancy in 06 my hair went from 1a to 3a curly, but each subsequent pregnancy brought it back closer to my straight hair... my last pregnancy and the 15 months of nursing let my hair grow very quickly, but its lost most all of the curl... :( luckily when I chopped my hair off in 09, I chopped most of the last remaining curl out so it wouldn't look goofy (which it was starting to do) its still wurly-ish... but not where it was unfortunately...

BlazingHeart
July 16th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I went from stick-straight as a child to very slightly wavy in my teens, to wavier in my early 20s. Probably 1a to 1c to 2a.

chahuahuas
July 16th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I used to think my hair got curlier as I got into high school, but now I've started to think that I just learned to take better care of it & LET it curl.

Do eyebrows count? Because mine turned from brown to BLACK.

krissykins
July 16th, 2011, 01:05 PM
My hair was straight as a child, became super curly during puberty, and is now just rather wavy. I used to blame the waviness on hair being stretched out, but it used to be 3a curls the last time I was at waist length about 5 years ago :shrug:

Jing
July 17th, 2011, 12:05 PM
It has gotten curlier. When I was a kid, it was straight as an arrow, then it got a bit of wave in my teens. I've had pixie cuts for years now, so I'm not sure when (or why) exactly these curls were begotten.

Miss Maisie
July 17th, 2011, 12:15 PM
My hair was really curly when I was little, then went to super straight, and now if I let it air dry without brushing it's definitely got a little wave to it.

dulce
July 17th, 2011, 12:15 PM
It was always curlier but got even curlier as I got older ,after menopause it has thinned out some and needs much more moisturizer and patchy silver has come in only in front and much more on one side[left] than the other[none in back yet] which makes some hair dos problematic.But it seems to grow as fast as when younger which is good.I still hope to reach tailbone length which I had when younger.

Emmental
July 17th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Yes!

I know some of my unfortunate texture is due to having a baby. I believe other texture changes have been due to growing it out, which has been a positive thing.

gthlvrmx
July 17th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Oh hell yes! I used to be a straight haired, dirty blonde boy! Then it turned dark brown with different shades in it and kept that, it went curly when i hit puberty but i didn't take care of it so eventually the build-up and all causes more waves, but i had 3a curls when it was short-short. But as it grows longer, the curls gets longer and eventually it's going to be wave.

Now im worrying what would happen if i shave my head again, seems like everytime i do i get a new hair texture...

DarkSky
July 19th, 2011, 09:28 PM
THanks for sharing everyone! I enjoyed reading all your different experiences!!!

Oldfashioned
July 19th, 2011, 09:37 PM
When my hair is SL I get a lot more curls and as it get's longer it turns into long stretched out curls to look wavy unless I put aloe vera gel in it then it looks curly. I have weird texture though... straight for a couple inches on the top of my head, turns wavy until it gets around my ears and then curls underneath the top layer.... got my moms curl pattern---permanent growing out perm look! Luckily it's thick enough to weigh down the curls because I like having waves unless I'm feeling curly!

Lostsoule77
July 19th, 2011, 09:49 PM
As a child my hair was probably 1b that changed to 1c/2a and I got into preteens. When I hit puberty it changed to 2b and has stayed there ever since. It actually switched on me while I had my only perm ever. I was wondering why it never came out and finally figured out that my type had changed. :)

noelgirl
July 20th, 2011, 06:45 AM
My hair goes between wavy and curly, switching about every 7 years. It started out very curly as a baby, and then straightened out when I was school-age. Then it went curly again in my early teens, then straightened in college. Now, in my late 20's, it's starting to go curly yet again.

Hawthorne
July 20th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Well, when I was little I was blond and curly

From about 4 until I had my first child I had darkish brown, dead straight hair

After the first kiddie, it started getting a little wavy

After the second, it got wavier / curlier, to the stage where now if I leave it alone to air dry I even get some ringlets. I also notice that the grey hairs are curlier than the dark ones!

Ligeia_13
July 20th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Definitely! It has been changing all my life.
When I was little, around 2 years old, I had almost black ringlets.

Then I got a haircut and it went poker straight until I was about 12.

From then on, it was wavy/poofy beyond imagination :p

When I hit around 16 it settled down into nicely defined waves.

Then at 18 I killed it straight again.

Now its sort of recovering back to waves.

MissHair
July 20th, 2011, 06:53 AM
I was born with black hair but later on turned blonde and then darkbrown. As to texture it hasnt changed at all. Always been straight.

I have a friend who used to have stick-straight hair til 17 years of age, then all of the sudden her hair turned curly, really curly. Same thing apparently happened to her dad, who had straight hair but later on turned really curly, almost afrolike. Its odd but so cool!

Idjit
July 20th, 2011, 07:26 AM
My hair was straight as a child and then, I guess around puberty, started to get really frizzy. I thought my hair was still straight it just was poofy for some reason. Around the age of 18 or so I started to realize this 'poof' was a texture and I actually had wavy hair. Now that I take care of it, it's mostly 2b.

Every time I cut my hair though it goes back to being mostly straight with tiny curls around my temples. The longer it gets the more it seems to curl but I've never had it longer then bsl.

Jing
July 20th, 2011, 07:26 AM
When my hair is SL I get a lot more curls and as it get's longer it turns into long stretched out curls to look wavy unless I put aloe vera gel in it then it looks curly. I have weird texture though... straight for a couple inches on the top of my head, turns wavy until it gets around my ears and then curls underneath the top layer.... got my moms curl pattern---permanent growing out perm look! Luckily it's thick enough to weigh down the curls because I like having waves unless I'm feeling curly!

Almost same here, though it never quite reaches curly, just straigh, wavy and then really, really wavy, except a couple of corkscrews around my face. Since my hair is chin length right now, it likes to swoosh out and up towards the ceiling at ear level. Some days it looks very silly indeed.

chahuahuas
July 20th, 2011, 09:56 AM
I want to add that sometimes it can seem like your hair texture is changing, but really, it's just external factors like your routine or your haircut.

Here's some of the factors I'm familiar with:

A good haircut can encourage your natural curl pattern, whereas a bad one can weigh the curls down & straighten them. (well, "bad" is a relative term; it would be bad to me because I want my hair curlier, but to a straight-lover it could be considered "good.")
If you unknowingly start using a product with silicone, your hair might get weighed down from build up and seem straighter.
If you move away to a college that has a dryer climate... well, I'm not sure whether humidity makes your hair curlier or straighter, but I know it does somethin'! :lol:
The stress of college or a new job could cause your hair to become less healthy, so that would effect the curl pattern as well.
A change in diet can also effect hair health & the curl pattern.
So sometimes when people think their natural texture has changed, they are actually the ones that changed (not their hair)! Just food for thought. :)