PDA

View Full Version : hair breakage

Avital88
July 16th, 2011, 02:09 AM
Hello there,
So after a year of taking obsessive super good care of my hair i dyed my hair twice with a semi permanent color to get the blue black color i want sooo bad.
The color is amazing and i wished it would stay forever..
But my hair used to be quite healthy and now i noticed my ends got really thinner and my overall hair feels less 'alive' or less volumnious.
I kinda regret the thing i did to my hair now.
Is there anyone out there with experience in hair breakage? and if so, is there ANYTHING that i can do to fix this? or at least make it less worse.
i know i will be alright in the long run with some henna apllications and micro trims but what can i do now?like treatments or something?
Any help super appreciated!

Night_Kitten
July 16th, 2011, 02:35 AM
I have old dye on the last few inches of the hair, and I get exactly what your'e describing - thinner ends and more breakage than usual. For me the more moisture to the ends - the better, I keep them constantly oiled with coconut oil and am careful when handling them... It seems to be helping, along with small trims once in a while.

Try plenty of moisture treatments, and perhaps a protein treatment could help (depending on wether your hair likes protein or not) :)

Sweet Beat
July 16th, 2011, 02:41 AM
Sorry, but i have no experience from colored hair at all... But the shampoo and conditioner (Rita Hazan's collection made by Sunsilk) I'm using is originally made to colored hair. I like both very much and the conditioner is very good so maybe that can help you protect your hair... I think the commercial says that the color last longer with those products too <3

xoxophelia
July 16th, 2011, 02:54 AM
To reduce damage by decreasing how often you color try more CO washing if you don't already, keep your hair out of the sun and chlorine as much as possible, and avoid hot oil treatments.

I bet the damage isn't nearly as bad as it seems since you hair is thick to start with. I had something similar when I joined LHC (possibly a lot worse) and what kept me from having to chop off lots of hair was small trims, EVOO/jojoba, decreasing washes, gentle brushing, updos when my hair looked really bad o.o, and patience. I am still growing out the damage and will be for awhile but it is soooo much better.

Ishje
July 16th, 2011, 03:00 AM
when I bleached my hairs loved coconut oil. I oiled often and more than usual and it sure helped.
not all the damage is gone, but it is less dry and frizzy :)

Sundial
July 16th, 2011, 03:09 AM
I highly suggest stepping up on the TLC - switching to CO, increasing the frequency with which you do deep treatments, handling your hair less when it's wet, combing with a wide tooth comb after it air dries.

My hair is highly damaged from multiple bleaching and chemical treatments and I find that increasing the frequency of deep treatments made a huge difference for me. It got me through periods of stretching out my trims.

While you are at it, you may also want to be more vigilant about S&D in anticipation of more damage from the coloring sessions.

Avital88
July 16th, 2011, 03:20 AM
Thanks all so much!
S&D is really something i havent done for months.. i have to look for my scissors.. im planning a microtrim on August 13th.(full moon in leo)
But i really think i just have to take better care again or cut off a few inches to have it the way i wanted.
My ends are so old and fried many times(bleach/straightning everyday for years)so maybe its just time to get rid of them and start with a fresh less breakable hemline..
But since i just hit tailbone,, aaargh ,, its too painfull to cut of my tailbone hair to hip or waist again..especially after all the effort.
im really hoping in a few weeks with alot of treatments it will be a bit better, and more important that it keeps getting longer.. keep you all posted

jojo
July 16th, 2011, 05:25 AM
My gets like this sometimes and I just CO wash for a few weeks and it goes back to normal. I always work by the rule if I take it out (moisture by dying, straightening etc) then I need to put it back in.

ange1ito
July 16th, 2011, 06:29 AM
I noticed a big difference when I started using castor oil overnight a couple of times a week. My ends have permanent box dye on them. I cut mine back to get rid of the thinning I just could'nt stand it anymore.

pink.sara
July 16th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Not so much advice about the conditioning as I agree with all the previous posters about CO washing regular oilings etc. But if you kept up with your henna/indigo routine to get to black then applied a bright blue manic panic or directions style dye it would give you a blue black shine. :)

Peanutter
July 16th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Not so much advice about the conditioning as I agree with all the previous posters about CO washing regular oilings etc. But if you kept up with your henna/indigo routine to get to black then applied a bright blue manic panic or directions style dye it would give you a blue black shine. :)

You can actually skip a few steps there.. you don't have to use henna/indigo, you can just use indigo to get a blue black color. Its not as conditioning, but you could try cassia/indigo for the same effect without the reddish tint.

pink.sara
July 16th, 2011, 01:05 PM
You can actually skip a few steps there.. you don't have to use henna/indigo, you can just use indigo to get a blue black color. Its not as conditioning, but you could try cassia/indigo for the same effect without the reddish tint.

I don't find indigo sticks without henna first or alongside, that's why I recommended a henindigo then blue over. Indigo itself even on my black permanent colour base looked a greeny blue and washed out after a week or two. (Also found cassia and amla tend to wash out.)

Avital88
July 18th, 2011, 04:23 AM
My gets like this sometimes and I just CO wash for a few weeks and it goes back to normal. I always work by the rule if I take it out (moisture by dying, straightening etc) then I need to put it back in.

hmm thats sounds quite logical haha..
I really need to get back to babying my hair.. my braids ends touched the salt sea water a few times too the last couple of weeks, everytime by accident getting my baby out of the water because seeing a jellyfish haha.
So that isnt really helping either.
I hope my hair will be okay in a few weeks though..its frustrating

Avital88
July 18th, 2011, 04:26 AM
I don't find indigo sticks without henna first or alongside, that's why I recommended a henindigo then blue over. Indigo itself even on my black permanent colour base looked a greeny blue and washed out after a week or two. (Also found cassia and amla tend to wash out.)

i should try manic panic, can i buy it online?blue black is just all i want, the red brown i have seen for enough years now:) i will get back to henna and indigo after summer just for condition because i really need it.but if i can make it blue black without damage that is like a dream..thanks for posting..