PDA

View Full Version : Calling all natural blondes for help please!!!

GabrielleRose
July 16th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Hello fellow blondes,
I really need your help! I've been trying the CV bars and I'm not sure they're for me. :( I have tried alot of products but I have problems with many making my hair look dark. I was wondering what hair products do you use without altering your natural hair color? Or what products do you use to enhance it?

Jimothea
July 16th, 2011, 01:40 AM
! I will be watching this thread closely. I can't speak for the CV bars (COer here), but I'm a fairly medium-darkish blonde naturally.

As for products, I can vouch that ACV will bring out the reds. It hasn't taken away the [natural] blonde, or even darkened it by any means whatsoever (I have a very ruddy blonde tho), but I can definitely tell when I go without it for a month or so. I imagine it would be that way with any rinse that has a tint, like tea, coffee, rosemary, etc.

I get that dingey, dark--someone on here called it something along the lines of a dirty sofa, and I totally agree--blonde color really quickly. The only thing I've found for sure is frequent washing. Especially shampoo, as much as my hair hates it...ahh well.

If the fried bottom half is getting too brassy, I'll mix some purple food dye with my condish and let it sit for a while. Sounds ghetto I know, but it works pretty well. I think a fair few on here use commercial toners... Maybe check out the blondes thread? here's a link: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6310&highlight=blondes

let me know if the link doesn't work. HTH!

Siiri
July 16th, 2011, 06:40 AM
CO- and WO-washing and have made my hair a bit darker. Dry hair tends to look lighter, and moisturized hair where the cuticles lie flat darker. So you would need to wash your hair frequently with a shampoo that's not too moisturizing, and not use very moisturizing conditioners or oils. Some herbs like chamomile can make blond hair more yellow, but it doesn't make it lighter.

Lilli
July 16th, 2011, 06:54 AM
CV Chamomile Citrus brings out highlights. Try a diluted lemon juice rinse. Occasionally I wash with John Frieda Sheer Blonde Lightening shampoo - it doesn't have peroxide; it's more like a chelator to clean off any deposits.

PraiseCheeses
July 16th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Some herbs and their essential oils can darken blonde hair. One is definitely rosemary - which is a pretty common component of hair products. I think a couple others that are darkening are sage and thyme. Somewhere around here there's a compilation of oils and their properties.

..... Woot, found it (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=25)! Hopefully this will help.

Also, how is your water? Hard water can cause dulling mineral buildup that's especially noticeable on blonde hair.

GabrielleRose
July 16th, 2011, 01:40 PM
! I will be watching this thread closely. I can't speak for the CV bars (COer here), but I'm a fairly medium-darkish blonde naturally.

As for products, I can vouch that ACV will bring out the reds. It hasn't taken away the [natural] blonde, or even darkened it by any means whatsoever (I have a very ruddy blonde tho), but I can definitely tell when I go without it for a month or so. I imagine it would be that way with any rinse that has a tint, like tea, coffee, rosemary, etc.

I get that dingey, dark--someone on here called it something along the lines of a dirty sofa, and I totally agree--blonde color really quickly. The only thing I've found for sure is frequent washing. Especially shampoo, as much as my hair hates it...ahh well.

If the fried bottom half is getting too brassy, I'll mix some purple food dye with my condish and let it sit for a while. Sounds ghetto I know, but it works pretty well. I think a fair few on here use commercial toners... Maybe check out the blondes thread? here's a link: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6310&highlight=blondes

let me know if the link doesn't work. HTH!

It does have a dirty sofa color! I hate it! I guess when I used shampoo everyday my hair never got the dark tinge. Maybe I'll have to go back... :( I was thinking of trying the CV bars one more time and if that fails then back to shampoo and conditioner it is for me.

By the way, thanks for the link. :)

CO- and WO-washing and have made my hair a bit darker. Dry hair tends to look lighter, and moisturized hair where the cuticles lie flat darker. So you would need to wash your hair frequently with a shampoo that's not too moisturizing, and not use very moisturizing conditioners or oils. Some herbs like chamomile can make blond hair more yellow, but it doesn't make it lighter.

Well, I tend to use moisturizing products because my hair gets dried at the length and split ends get the best of me. :steam

CV Chamomile Citrus brings out highlights. Try a diluted lemon juice rinse. Occasionally I wash with John Frieda Sheer Blonde Lightening shampoo - it doesn't have peroxide; it's more like a chelator to clean off any deposits.

I've actually tried that bar and it was too drying. -_- How do you do a diluted lemon juice rinse? As for the John Frieda, I tried that strengthening one for blonde hair and it broke me out along the neckline. T_T

Some herbs and their essential oils can darken blonde hair. One is definitely rosemary - which is a pretty common component of hair products. I think a couple others that are darkening are sage and thyme. Somewhere around here there's a compilation of oils and their properties.

..... Woot, found it (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=25)! Hopefully this will help.

Also, how is your water? Hard water can cause dulling mineral buildup that's especially noticeable on blonde hair.

Thanks for the info on the essential oils. And darn! Cause I thought rosemary was great for strengthening? Also, thanks for the link I'm eyeballing it right now. :)

My water is pretty darn hard I'd have to say since you can see the water build up on the shower walls.

JellyBene
July 16th, 2011, 01:47 PM
I am currently WO but when I did wash my hair I had the same problem with the CV bars, I am naturally dark blonde and they made me look light brown. The best shampoo and conditioner I have EVER used is called Shea Moisture. It smelled heavenly and has only the most natural ingredients! Here is a picture of it, the best one I could find is at the Targer website and obviously it is sold at Target.
http://www.target.com/Shea-Moisture-Butter-Retention-Shampoo/dp/B0038TVHGG
The ingredients are: Deionized Water , Decyl Glucoside (Sugar Beets) , African Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) , Aloe Vera Leaf Juice , Argan Oil , Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5) , Rosemary Extract , Sea Kelp Extract , Vitamin E , Lonicera Caprifolium Flower Extract (Honeysuckle) , Lonicera Japonica Flower Extract (Japanese Honeysuckle)

GabrielleRose
July 16th, 2011, 02:10 PM
I am currently WO but when I did wash my hair I had the same problem with the CV bars, I am naturally dark blonde and they made me look light brown. The best shampoo and conditioner I have EVER used is called Shea Moisture. It smelled heavenly and has only the most natural ingredients! Here is a picture of it, the best one I could find is at the Targer website and obviously it is sold at Target.
http://www.target.com/Shea-Moisture-Butter-Retention-Shampoo/dp/B0038TVHGG
The ingredients are: Deionized Water , Decyl Glucoside (Sugar Beets) , African Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) , Aloe Vera Leaf Juice , Argan Oil , Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5) , Rosemary Extract , Sea Kelp Extract , Vitamin E , Lonicera Caprifolium Flower Extract (Honeysuckle) , Lonicera Japonica Flower Extract (Japanese Honeysuckle)

I really want the CV bars to work, but I honestly don't like my hair looking brown. My blonde makes me feel unique, and I get upset when my boyfriend says my hair looks dark. :( He even told me last night that he preferred me shampooing and conditioning, because it kept my natural blonde looking fresh. He says my natural highlights remind him of Rapunzel in "Tangled". :crush: You really got love when they say such cute, sweet things!

I have actually been eye balling that brand, I was thinking of the coconut hibiscus because I adore the smell though I don't have curly hair lol!

MissEarlGrey
July 16th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Perhaps when you do your ACV rinse after using your CV bar, instead of diluting it with water, you could use chamomile tea with a touch of honey.

Lilli
July 17th, 2011, 06:25 AM
I've actually tried that bar and it was too drying. -_- How do you do a diluted lemon juice rinse? As for the John Frieda, I tried that strengthening one for blonde hair and it broke me out along the neckline. T_T

You have to get the lightening one - no cones. Much better. I squeeze half a lemon in a sports bottle full of distilled water. And I do use conditioner after CV bars.