PDA

View Full Version : hair coming out???

TealDolphin
July 15th, 2011, 09:31 PM
I am currently dealing with health issues, and not eating that good, so that could have something to do with it (but even during these health issues, until recently, I haven't noticed this problem); but lately when I try to untangle my hair, some of it has been coming out very easily; even just running my fingers through my hair will bring some hair out with it. I want to put a stop to it before it gets worse; I do plan to start eating better, but besides that is there anything I could do?

Madora
July 15th, 2011, 09:38 PM
I am currently dealing with health issues, and not eating that good, so that could have something to do with it (but even during these health issues, until recently, I haven't noticed this problem); but lately when I try to untangle my hair, some of it has been coming out very easily; even just running my fingers through my hair will bring some hair out with it. I want to put a stop to it before it gets worse; I do plan to start eating better, but besides that is there anything I could do?

To be on the safe side, see your physician and be checked for anemia. Also have your thyroid checked too.

I don't wish to alarm you, but if it IS anemia you best address the possibility ASAP. I had anemia - a very bad case - but didn't know it. It took an emergency hospitalization - several transfusions - to get my blood back up to where it belonged. Also, I had experienced a lot of hair loss..which I erroneously attributed to old age. It was the anemia! I never regained the hair I lost due to the anemia! Good luck! And please, take it from one who was damn foolish...eating CORRECTLY is IMPORTANT! Junk food was my downfall..don't let it happen to you! Drink plenty of water too!

TealDolphin
July 15th, 2011, 09:43 PM
I actually have been dealing with anemia on and off my whole life, due to a health issue I was born with...I will get that checked out; thanks.

And eating healthy for me is hard, haha. :P But I plan to try.
I'm only 19, so it isn't due to old age.

TealDolphin
July 15th, 2011, 09:53 PM
I just remembered, I take an iron pill everyday, and I had my blood work taken the other day in the hospital, and the doctor didn't mention anything about anemia, so I assume it's fine.

TealDolphin
July 15th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Are there any other issues it could be besides health?

Magicknthenight
July 15th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Are there any other issues it could be besides health?

Could it be a new product your using? Like a new shampoo for example? It could be too harsh. I'm not sure of your routine but maybe try something without Sulfates. Or if you just started something different like CO...that could be it. I always shed more when I wash like that for some reason. I hope you find out what it is soon.
Maybe whats coming out was already meant to come out. You can lose up to a certain amount each day before its considered abnormal. I don't remember what the exact amount was..maybe 100? Maybe someone else will pop up with a better answer..
Also some people shed more during different seasons. Perhaps you shed more in hotter weather then in the colder months.

TealDolphin
July 15th, 2011, 11:22 PM
The only new product is a mousse...but I had used it a few months ago, and no problems then???

I currently use this shampoo and conditioner: http://www.amazon.com/Matrix-Sleek-Look-Shampoo-Conditioner/dp/B001AT5LEU

TealDolphin
July 16th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Bump bumpity bump bump

emma907
July 16th, 2011, 04:18 PM
I can sympathise with you, I've been having a major shed lately.

I think I can trace it back to when I was on a low protein diet when I was in Africa 3 months ago (any shock to the system that can force hairs into there resting stage can take 2-3 months to actually be noticed, ie start falling out)

I have Telogen Effluvium, it sounds similar to what you have but I'm no expert. I recommend also to see a DR just in case is something else or hormonal.

It can be very scary to find hair coming out all the time, it still freaks me out! I also have Alopecia Areata - which has given me a nice bald patch on my head!

MOST hair grows back after any shock such as Telogen Effluvium so keep an eye on your thickness and if there is no change then its OK. If there is significant change see a DR.

TealDolphin
July 16th, 2011, 07:11 PM
That makes sense; I actually did have some trauma happen to my body recently, resulting in me staying in the hospital for a month; I just hope it stops and isn't permenant; thanks!

Mesmerise
July 16th, 2011, 07:20 PM
That makes sense; I actually did have some trauma happen to my body recently, resulting in me staying in the hospital for a month; I just hope it stops and isn't permenant; thanks!

This is probably your answer then! Often people find that two to three months or so after they've had a major illness/injury, or some sort of surgery etc, their hair will fall out in greater than normal quantities.

Generally, though, after a couple of months the hair loss will stop and the hair will return to normal. However, you may experience some temporary thinning (you'll know it's temporary as you'll see a lot of little new baby hairs start growing to replace those you've lost).

SallyCinnamon
July 16th, 2011, 07:23 PM
The last 2 times I had a shed, I jotted down things that worked and things that made me shed more.

Things that made me shed:

* Thick, creamy conditioners on my scalp (The ones that caused me to shed most were Herbal Essences and Nexxus Humectress conditioners, but most really thick ones will cause me to shed)

* Scalp problems (itchy scalp mostly. Sometimes I would get red patches.)

* Taking too many vitimins, believe it or not. I was taking a one-a-day multi vitamin plus a hair vitamin. I must have been getting too much of something because that combo made me shed bad. The shedding stopped when I stopped taking that hair vitamin along with my multi.

Things that I believe helped:

* Using conditioner only on the length, not on my scalp. I have heard many others here say they do the same thing. It really works for me.

* ACV rinses and Selsun Blue shampoo. I use them both once in a while to prevent scalp problems. I find the Selsun Blue moisturizing shampoo (with the green top) is not as drying as Head and Shoulders for my hair. When my scalp is happy, I shed less.

* I stopped dying my hair. I used to shed a lot more every day when I dyed my hair. I thought it was normal for me. Stopping the hair dye stopped a lot of my shedding (and it was also probably contributing to my scalp problems)

I really hope you find the cause of your shedding! I know from experience that it can be difficult to pinpoint the cause. In the meantime, try not to stress! It might just be a seasonal thing.

ddiana1979
July 16th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Other than the obvious medical conditions like Madora & others mentioned, stress makes me shed like crazy. When I was finishing my Ph.D. dissertation, disturbing amounts of hair would fall out in the shower. I was afraid I was going to go bald (but fortunately didn't).

BlueMuse
July 16th, 2011, 07:42 PM
I have an anxiety problem, and if I get very stressed I can start shedding quite a bit. So it could possibly be caused by stress if you're stressed.

TealDolphin
July 16th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Thanks everyone :)

TealDolphin
July 18th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Okay, the doctor thinks it is because of the trauma (surgery) I went through. It's not permenant though I hope.

Darkhorse1
July 18th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Any sort of major stress will cause hair to fall out--I had this happen and it freaked me out big time. In my case, the massive stress I was under caused a major flare of painful dandruff, which in turn caused my hair to fall out in handfuls. I'm lucky I have a lot of it.

Now if you have health issues, such as any auto-immune disease, you do run the risk of losing your hair. Lupus, fibromyalgia and other auto immune diseases can cause hair loss. However, you can use rogaine and it will grow back (mom is going through the re-growth phase right now)

Since you are taking iron pills, my guess is you are low in iron. A neighbor of mine had this problem and her hair was constantly dry and thin.

((hugs))) to you that you feel better soon, and know that whatever hair loss you are currently experiencing is most likely due to stress, and in that case, it WILL grow back. Speak to your doctors about your concerns as they can help you understand things as well.