PDA

View Full Version : Super Long hairs- tailbone onwards?...

Saranne772
June 24th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Well, my hair is just past tailbone and approaching classic. I have been finding that it gets into everything when it is down. This happened for me ever since waist when out in public so if I was to be in a crowded place I would tend to wear it up. Now Im even finding it at home when I am having a relaxing day. I like to wear my hair down when I am at home all day- or a least in a ponytail. But even a ponytail isnt working at the moment. I do shove it into a snood from time to time, but my parents dont approve of it and at the moment I dont want to annoy them (they are being extraordinarily protective because I am leaving home in about 2 months- I dont think they want to let go) that can be avoided. Plus they slip off as the size of snood I have is a bit big.

Oh and I dont like fussing with hair sticks and the like just for being at home (Ive been lazy recently and tis too much for being home). On top of this all my easy styles- like the log roll/french twist variant I do are not currently working as my ACV rinse and shampoo bar routine (other way around) has made my hair much softer and none of them hold.

Did you find this problem, what advice can you give and what solutions did you find?

Thanks
Sah

missmanytoes
June 24th, 2008, 05:11 PM
hmmm...at tailbone I didn't consider myself a super longhair. OK, I guess in the general population I am, but I have all of you to contrast and compare to here, so I never really thought of my hair that way. And yeah, I discovered once I got past waist that the hair was always in the way. I just stick it up into a chain bun (my latest hairdo) or my old fallback is a twisty bun...but that only works on damp hair now. I guess my hair is too long for it now, but I've been wearing it forever. Anyway, you can find instructions for the chain bun at http://www.network54.com/Forum/242462/message/1198934082/chain+bun and as far as my twisty bun goes, just make a ponytail (no holder required), twist, twist, twist (it will coil up on itself and make a beebutt sort of thing) and then take some hair from the bottom outside of the twist and tuck everything into that. I twist with my right hand in an anti-clockwise motion so I grab hair from the lower left side of the bun to tuck into. Try putting your hair up when it is damp - your log roll/french twist variant may work then even if it doesn't when it is dry.

Saranne772
June 24th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks missmanytoes! I will try that one :)

And yeh I know what you mean. I dont class myself as super long yet either- I just specified tailbone onwards because that is where I am at (give or take- as I am just past) but its mostly the super longhairs who will be able to help I expect you know?

Chromis
June 24th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Your parents are disturbed by a snood? Whoooah there, what's next...she'll be showing her ankles!

Giggles aside, ponytails have not been feasible for quite some time for me. I switched to a single braid when the ponys became too snarly and I wanted my hair downish but contained (I offered them carrots, but they didn't like that bar). I normally wear a log roll or sometimes a cinnabun, 8's are just starting to work for me again, but every now and then my scalp just likes a rest!

Deborah
June 24th, 2008, 05:28 PM
I find that a braid or two will usually work where a ponytail just isn't enough. If hanging down the back is what bugs you, maybe braid all the hair in one braid drawn to one side, then it can hang down in front of you where it will generally get into less mischief. :flower:

p.s. I cover too, so I know some of the issues you may face. I am glad that you are honoring your parents' request, especially as you prepare to leave their home.

LongForLife
June 24th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Almost everyday when I am just around the house, I wear mine in a looser "ponytail" but at the nape of my neck, not up on my head. It does still come forward in my way, especially when I lean over, but this can be combatted by braiding it in a looser braid at the nape of the neck. Otherwise the last suggestion about a braid on the side could be of help too. I don't do that because being in the front would bother me. It just depends on your preference.

Delila
June 24th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Hey, I like the chain bun, I'll have to try it. My knot bun is getting a bit lost with extra length, so this looks like a doable next step.

Thanks for posting instructions!

Kittee
June 24th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Yep that chain bun looked fun. I do that but with a pony tail, just one loop. Can't believe I never thought to keep going lol.

Saranne you cover your hair?

harpgal
June 24th, 2008, 06:15 PM
For my part, super length means anything classic or beyond. At TB, I could still wear a single braid but at my present length, I have to wrap the braid up into some kind of a bun. A single braid that is worn down gets in the way. I merely wrap it up in the morning and let it down for sleeping at night. It has become so easy that it's effortless. ;)

mommy2one05
June 24th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I am curious, what is a hair snood ( I had never heard of such a thing)?

Shell
June 24th, 2008, 07:01 PM
A snood is often a crocheted or net covering that is kind of like a bag that goes around your hairine and holds/covers your hair. I can be made of solid fabric too. It's been in style at various times, and can be purchased online and at Renaissance Fairs generally.

Even at home I often wear my hair up, and have for a long time (I'm at classic now). Frankly, it's just easier. Saranne, you will find as you reach each new length (even an inch can do it) that you have to adjust your styles. I had to do this as I reached classic, and if I grow a few more inches I'll have to do it again! You're in the right place for a solution though. I know you want to wear your hair down at home, but may I suggest an easy style done with a ficcare/fakkare? That's a very simple at home style that can be worn out and looks great.

I hope you find a style that you like. You might try looking at people's albums to find styles you like; just PM them and I'm sure they'll tell you how they did them!

yldchyld
June 24th, 2008, 07:25 PM
I twist and clip mine up with one of those giant claws (or a ficcare would work) It doesn't look pretty, but I'm at home..so so what?

Or I braid it, but the braid does sometimes swing around or cause the youngest cat to go bonkers.

Shell
June 24th, 2008, 07:38 PM
A long braid is deadly for me, and for others--talk about a weapon! I only do a long braid for going out, but not for dancing--too dangerous.

Teazel
June 24th, 2008, 10:14 PM
I usually have my hair in a single plait at home, or in an infinity bun - which is ridiculously easy to throw together.

You might like to take a look at the Classic length group (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/group.php?groupid=22), as quite a few people have listed their casual styles. :)

shrimp
June 25th, 2008, 03:26 AM
I still often go with a single plait at home, I just have to remember to keep it round my front (where it only reaches hip length) and keep a hold of it at times. Oh and also remeber not to get it trapped between crossed legs hwne sittign down :oops: I wouldn't wear it out of the house as then it would get dangerous - the tassle is beyond tb.

Other than that I can usually shove my hai rup in a messy bun in 30 seconds which will hold for the day.

The only time my hair tends to be down right now is while I'm sitting at my desk in my office where it's pulled around the front. Not ideal but it gives my scalp a bit of a break.

Saranne772
June 25th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Saranne you cover your hair?

My avatar may have given the impression that I cover all the time. I only cover when doing church related activities. I.e. at all services and also tracting/open airs :)

Thanks for the replies. I do braid from time to time but I have taper and the ends stick out so badly after a while that I hate it!

Periwinkle
June 25th, 2008, 08:34 AM
What's your problem with the ponytail at the moment? One of my friends, when she was much younger (like 6 or 7), used to have hair she could sit on, and she used to always wear it in a low ponytail with elastics all the way down to stop it getting tangled.

Then she chopped it all off and now she straightens it and dyes it etc. etc. but that's irrelevent :(

mira-chan
June 25th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I wear it up most of the time, even at home. I sit on the end of my braid now so that doesn't always work either. When I want to have at least some of my hair down I wear a bunnitail type style. I generally start it like a cinnamon bun but only wrap around once then pull the hair straight under and let the ends lose going straight down. Original version is a knot with a tail of loose hair, this can stay up with out a stick/fork/pin on some hair types/lengths. Third one is a log roll with the ends loose instead of trapping them around.

I do these usually when fully up styles pull and feel heavy as these feel lighter.

Islandgrrl
June 25th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Saranne -- when my hair was knee length, I either braided or bunned it most of the time, just to keep it from getting in the way. The equilibrium bun is really good if you have taper - if your braid is long enough, just leave it loose at the end and you can do the equilibrium with a braid (I used to do it, never knew it had a name!).

Explain the problem with the snood, if you would? I don't understand....

eresh
June 25th, 2008, 05:01 PM
At home when I don't feel like bunning, I just make a single braid and fold it in half, or clip it up with a ficcare and let the remaining braid hang over it.

missmanytoes
June 25th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Saranne, I forgot (because I haven't done this in a while). Another thing you could try is tie damp hair into a knot. Depending on your hair type a knot can shorten your pony tail by a considerable amount. Mine goes from ~tailbone to ~bsl with one knot at the nape and a damp knot will stay in my hair for quite some time. I'm personally fond of hairstyles that require as few fasteners as possible (like 1 or less).

Saranne772
June 26th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Explain the problem with the snood, if you would? I don't understand....

My parents think they look silly and don't want people making fun of me or thinking that Im really strange. You know? So to please them I only wear indoors and not much then.

Thanks for the other ideas, I will try them :)

Laululintu
June 26th, 2008, 06:26 AM
I can't wear a ponytail for long, as tangling can be a real pain. I often just braid my hair, and just hang the braided part over one shoulder if it's likely to get into trouble if left to hang down my back.

Nini
June 26th, 2008, 06:56 AM
I keep my hair braided or bunned all the time. The only time it's down is right after washing when I airdry as much as I can before putting it up again.

Doing farmwork I've rediscovered the Buff, but as your parents don't like the snood, they probably won't like the Buff either...

Nini