PDA

View Full Version : Growth stall?

Kristamommyx3
July 15th, 2011, 06:46 PM
My hair grew so much in the past year, but over the last few months, it seems to have slowed to a crawl. I am hyper vigilant about nutrients and protein, and even sleep. I see no reason I am causing this slow down. Do you suppose the summer heat actually slows my growth? I'm feeling seriously frustrated about it lately!:(. Oh and I drink green tea and water only, and I even coach cheerleading now, so I'm getting plenty o' exercise...what gives???

skraprchik
July 15th, 2011, 07:03 PM
I was just wondering the exact same thing. I don't think my hair has grown at all in the past month or so. If anything I have had even better habits than usual, so it's a little frustrating.

xoxophelia
July 15th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Are you actually measuring or does it just look like it isn't growing?

Kristamommyx3
July 15th, 2011, 08:07 PM
I can actually see a slight color variation from the last time I bleached it. I go by the slightly different shade on the new growth, and I measure that.

Kristamommyx3
July 15th, 2011, 08:09 PM
My roots are 1 1/4 inches and I last bleached the day before Easter! :(

Mesmerise
July 15th, 2011, 08:15 PM
My roots are 1 1/4 inches and I last bleached the day before Easter! :(

Well that doesn't sound TOO bad... Easter was a little less than three months ago, so it just sounds as if you've got a little less than 0.5" a month which is maybe a wee bit slower than average, but not excessively.

Bast
July 15th, 2011, 08:44 PM
It is possible to have stalls. No real reason why, how long they last can vary, and the best thing to do is wait it out, because it will pass.

Kristamommyx3
July 15th, 2011, 08:51 PM
****sigh**** what else can I do but wait I guess? :(
At least still growing, right? And it is in a+++ condition, so there's that...
I hope it gets back up to par soon. I usually get at least 1/2 inch a month, so I guess it's not too bad, but it sure seems like it's dead in the water this Summer. Maybe I should stop reading the how amazingly fast does your hair grow thread? :p

ange1ito
July 15th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Lol I was never as obsessed with my hair before I came to LHC. Some months i'm slow whilst some i'm fast, usually I see the biggest variations when i'm stressed or have too many tasks to sort at work and home. I am active, monitor my diet too. I would watch how much stuff you are taking on to see if there are any variations.

Sama
July 15th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Do you take a daily multi-vitamin? Maybe it's worth a shot to give that a try - it could give you a bit of a growth spurt. When I was pregnant and started taking prenatal vitamins, my hairs started growing like healthy, happy weeds!

Kristamommyx3
July 15th, 2011, 09:38 PM
I have three sons I stay at home with, and I'm head coach of a competitive cheerleading squad. I do have days that I'm really really exhausted.

Lol I was never as obsessed with my hair before I came to LHC. Some months i'm slow whilst some i'm fast, usually I see the biggest variations when i'm stressed or have too many tasks to sort at work and home. I am active, monitor my diet too. I would watch how much stuff you are taking on to see if there are any variations.

Kristamommyx3
July 15th, 2011, 09:43 PM
I take a variety of whole food vitamins and minerals, and fish oil every day. I've had to spend years perfecting my repertoire, because I inherited very severe migraines with aura, and believe me, nature has done a much getter job at controlling them than any drug a doctor ever tried to prescribe. It is a great suggestion, though to anyone else reading this post that is experiencing the same stall! :)

Do you take a daily multi-vitamin? Maybe it's worth a shot to give that a try - it could give you a bit of a growth spurt. When I was pregnant and started taking prenatal vitamins, my hairs started growing like healthy, happy weeds!

MissAlida
July 16th, 2011, 08:15 AM
I don't think it's because of the summer. Hair is believed to grow faster during summer, and slow down during winter. :)

Kristamommyx3
July 16th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Oh, goody! Lol

I don't think it's because of the summer. Hair is believed to grow faster during summer, and slow down during winter. :)

Panth
July 16th, 2011, 08:42 AM
If you've got roots coming through then the growth isn't stalling absolutely (although it may be slower - stress can be a prime cause of this). However you still may be getting a "stall" because although you are growing hair (as evidenced by the roots) you are loosing it off the bottom at the same rate or faster than it is growing. If you've not trimmed, the cause of this would be mechanical, heat or chemical damage.

In the absence of any changes to routine, I would suggest that perhaps your hair has reached a length that means it gets added abuse on the ends - between BSL and waist is a common stall point because then the effects of loose hair getting caught between your back and the chair really starts to mount up. So, you could consider wearing it up more and seeing if that helps (in my case it pushed me out of a false terminal between TB and classic and I'm now almost at fingertip). However, if you already wear your hair up lots, ignore this advice. :p

Kristamommyx3
July 16th, 2011, 08:46 AM
I have a very clean blunt hemline...could this be happening and I still wouldn't notice? I have seen a slight addition to my length, but only slight. I will def listen to your advice and wear it up most of the time, as much as I can stand to. Interesting thought! Thanks!

If you've got roots coming through then the growth isn't stalling absolutely (although it may be slower - stress can be a prime cause of this). However you still may be getting a "stall" because although you are growing hair (as evidenced by the roots) you are loosing it off the bottom at the same rate or faster than it is growing. If you've not trimmed, the cause of this would be mechanical, heat or chemical damage.

In the absence of any changes to routine, I would suggest that perhaps your hair has reached a length that means it gets added abuse on the ends - between BSL and waist is a common stall point because then the effects of loose hair getting caught between your back and the chair really starts to mount up. So, you could consider wearing it up more and seeing if that helps (in my case it pushed me out of a false terminal between TB and classic and I'm now almost at fingertip). However, if you already wear your hair up lots, ignore this advice. :p

jojo
July 16th, 2011, 10:43 AM

Not always mine hardly gets 1/4" a month during summer yet in winter I can get nearly an inch. As long as your getting the 6" "average" and some get a lot more and less, your OK its just your hair resting. Try not to worry about it or it will slow further down!

xoxophelia
July 16th, 2011, 10:48 AM
One thing to remember is that when you are at the length wear the hair has to grow out over the hump in the back before it curves in and the chest in the front it can look like it is hardly growing.

MinderMutsig
July 16th, 2011, 10:55 AM
I don't think it's because of the summer. Hair is believed to grow faster during summer, and slow down during winter. :) My hair sheds like crazy every spring, stalls in the summer and then gets a massive growth spurt during autumn and winter. I have had maybe 0.5 cm of growth over the past three months while I can easily get 0.5 to 1 cm per week in winter. So it's very well possible this stall is due to summer. Not all of us thrive in the heat. In fact, I hate summer with a passion and wouldn't mind if I never have to suffer one again.

Kristamommyx3
July 16th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Meeeee too! And I live in FL!!!! :D

My hair sheds like crazy every spring, stalls in the summer and then gets a massive growth spurt during autumn and winter. I have had maybe 0.5 cm of growth over the past three months while I can easily get 0.5 to 1 cm per week in winter. So it's very well possible this stall is due to summer. Not all of us thrive in the heat. In fact, I hate summer with a passion and wouldn't mind if I never have to suffer one again.

MinderMutsig
July 16th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Meeeee too! And I live in FL!!!! :D Oh you poor thing!:run:
I'm pretty sure I would have to be heavily medicated for depression if I had to live in a climate like that.

jacqueline101
July 16th, 2011, 05:13 PM
You have the same dilemma I have my hair grows then quits. I hate it but I don't think I can do anything for it. I've learned to live with it. Its life full of ups and downs.