PDA

View Full Version : Non-hairstick updos?

bluesnowflake
July 15th, 2011, 05:32 PM
My hair is steadily getting longer and I'm very happy with it. However, for everyday use I've pretty much been using just a rose bun or braided bun. I don't really like hair sticks, so I was wondering what some good, everyday, updos are that can be done with pins? (I have gigantic u-pins that hold really well.) My hair is about hip and thickish.

CareBear
July 15th, 2011, 07:51 PM
My fave for the big u pins is a gibraltar bun. It's pretty much my go to bun lately, and the u pins hold it really well.

QMacrocarpa
July 16th, 2011, 06:49 AM
I like the flipped bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up3ftEV45_c), which I do with spin-pins, but likely other pins would work too.

Melanie Marie
July 16th, 2011, 07:14 AM
A French braid folded and pinned up can be very pretty. :)

Rtzgrl
July 16th, 2011, 09:21 AM
The figure 8/infinity bun is usually done with hairsticks, I know, but it should work with hairpins, too. I'll have to whip out my hairpins and see for myself. The figure 8 is one of my favorite updos.

AshleyTheRed
July 16th, 2011, 09:27 AM
sock bun! :D I'm wearing my hair that way now.

Madora
July 16th, 2011, 10:15 AM
You can do several styles with your length. It just depends on how you section it.

You didn't say if you can French braid or French lace. Assuming that you can French lace, which is the easier of the 2 techniques, here's a style that is quick and easy and looks lovely:

1) Detangle all your hair with a wide tooth comb.

2) Take a small section of hair about a quarter of an inch from your front hairline (just above the right eyebrow).

3) Divide it in two sections

4) Cross the left strand over the right strand and hold.

5) From the LEFT hand side, take a small section of hair about a quarter of an inch from your front hairline and ADD it to the section of hair on your LEFT

6) Now take ALL hair on the left and cross it over the strands on the RIGHT and hold

7) Continue working..always adding hair from the left to the LEFT hand strand.

8) When you come to the top of your ear, you are going to have to change hands and that will involve holding the hair UP just a bit to get everything correctly placed.

9) Continue to add hair from the left to the left hand strand and work around the head until you have no more hair to add.

10) If you have any hair left over, just braid it down, and fasten it with a hair friendly elastic. Tuck the tassle under the braid already in place (use a small crimped hairpin).

Voila, a lovely lace twisted crown braid!

Some hints: Always, always, always, detangle EACH section of hair as you make the crossovers. If you do not, the hair will tangle and you'll end up with a mess.

Before you start, try dividing your hair in 3 general large sections thusly:keep each of the 2 of the sections loosely banded with a scrunchie (to keep the hair out of your way. Make sure the hair in EACH section is lying flat, following the natural curve of your head).

The third section, which includes your front hair, should be parted horizontally (a very small part) on the top of the your head, about a 1/4 of an inch BACK from the front of your head. The majority of hair in this section remains to flow down your back, the hair in front is the hair that is used to begin the French lace twisting.

More tips: The angle of the French twisting determines the outcome of the style! Try holding the hair up gently, and to the left, as you twist it.

If you try this style, don't aim for a "picture perfect" do right out of the gate! Just practice until the motions feel "right" and your fingers achieve the dexterity you need!

This style can also be done in the bent at the waist position, which is what I use.

If done correctly, you'll have a beautiful French twisted crown braid, with little or no part showing.

You might try dampening your hair with water to provide slip.

Or the night before, doing an EVOO treatment which provides fantastic slip.

I have several other hairstyles that I've done over the years and I only use hairpins (the crimped variety). If you peek in my hair album, you'll see several braided styles that can be easily achieved with sectioning and hairpins. Hope this helps!

podo
July 16th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Any style that you can do with a stick you should be able to do with pins.

Madora - do you have a pic of this, either as a tutorial or finished look? Or (even better) a video?

Madora
July 16th, 2011, 01:31 PM
@podo...

Here is a link to a very good video tutorial on You Tube for creating the lace French twisted crown braid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

I'll post a pic of my latest attempt in a few moments (equipment permitting!)

Madora
July 16th, 2011, 01:56 PM
@for Podo and other interested parties:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=6554&pictureid=108009