PDA

View Full Version : Tiny rant about layers, and a question :)

GabrielleRose
July 15th, 2011, 03:49 PM
So ,here's my rant on layers. I'm sure some hate them too, but still I had to make a post lol! I think they are gorgeous when you first get them, but as soon as you grow them out they look horrible (on me atleast). I feel like my hair gets stringy when it grows out. So, I have a question for anyone who reads this. If you're growing your hair out, should you just let it grow all out or keeping cutting away to get rid of the layers?

Sama
July 15th, 2011, 03:52 PM
I trimmed my layers away slowly over time until eventually they were all gone. I think a lot of LHCers do the same. I wasn't ready to let go of the length my longest layers provided, regardless of how stringy they looked. Now that they are gone, I am glad I finally made the final 3-inch cut to get rid of them once and for all.

GabrielleRose
July 15th, 2011, 04:02 PM
I trimmed my layers away slowly over time until eventually they were all gone. I think a lot of LHCers do the same. I wasn't ready to let go of the length my longest layers provided, regardless of how stringy they looked. Now that they are gone, I am glad I finally made the final 3-inch cut to get rid of them once and for all.

Then maybe I will trim them slowly, my last cut was last month. I didn't get my layers refreshed I just got my hair cut into a V with some bangs. My hair seems to be growing back to where I almost had it. So, what do LHCers mean when they say they're trying to thicken the ends?:confused: By the way I was thinking of my next trim in December. I want to try not trimming so much, cause then I get horribly depressed about losing length. :(

qtmama1971
July 15th, 2011, 04:10 PM
I love the fullness and crown height you can get with layers, which is why I have talked myself into them multiple time. The problem for me has been day to day use. When I had the time to roller set my hair and really "do" something with it... it looked great! But then there was the 99.8% of the time that I didn't "do" anything with it. That is when I found that it looked stringy and unkept. I had fewer options, too. Layers don't like to stay put nicely in a braid. I've made this mistake many times, and have nearly always found it less jarring to nick a little off the bottom as it grows back out.

ennuideluxe
July 15th, 2011, 04:14 PM
I like the look of layers, and I love the concept of them. But, and this is a huge but, it's been my experience that the vast majority of times I have gotten layers, they were put in by someone who didn't really take into account my hair type, texture or thickness. It was almost as if they were reading from a textbook-- okay, it says to cut here, so I'll cut here, regardless of how it look!-- than looking at my head/hair and figuring out what would be most flattering.

I have both hacked off everything when I had layers I didnt like as well as trimmed them out gently, reasonably and rationally over time. While trimming them out over time was great for keeping length, I found that hacking the entire thing off was much more satisfying in the case of truly offensive layers.

jojo
July 15th, 2011, 04:17 PM
When I had layers, I just trimmed the length and let the layers catch up, which they did within 3 years. I like layers on people with thick hair but on me they make my hair look very thin and scraggly.

Raiscake
July 15th, 2011, 07:01 PM
I'm growing out an "Asian mullet" cut which was pretty popular here (ETA: by here, I mean where I live lol) a few years ago. I liked it and I don't regret getting it, but the growing out really is awkward. When I started, I had a ton of layers ranging from my ear to midback. I cut a bit of length to let the layers catch up. Somewhere down the road, I had my layers redone to make them look more normal-sh as supposed to looking like a mullet. They bother me less now that I have my hair up all the time.

Keller1128
July 15th, 2011, 07:35 PM
I have layers too :( and am growing them out. I just got a trim at the beginning of this month (took an inch off) and I suppose I'll continue to get periodic trims when I get up the guts to do it. You can also do what Raiscake said and just wear your hair up all the time! An annoying thing with that though (which I'm sure you know) is that you have hairs sticking out every which-a-way when you wear your hair up with layers. I just know I'll be glad when mine are gone but don't want to chop them all off because that would leave me with shoulder length hair :/

Lilli
July 16th, 2011, 07:00 AM
I trim them until they are only 1-2 inches shorter than the overall length, and then I let it grow.