PDA

View Full Version : Camping for a month!

Finnenna
July 15th, 2011, 02:07 PM
I'm going on a driving backpack camping through the US with some visiting family!

I doubt there's going to be enough water for proper washing - is there some dry shampoo or something I can use in the mean time? I have a hat and a bandanna - is there anything else I should bring?

ETA: Also, what are some good, easy styles as I probably won't have a mirror? My hair is just past the tops of my shoulders - it is growing so slowly!

theodora
July 15th, 2011, 03:38 PM
What saves my hair whenever I go camping: I wear it constantly braided, either one or two english braids. You can use dry shampoo on the scalp, and I'd take a cone-free leave-in spray (I like the Garnier Triple Nutrition, it's lightweight and the bottle doesn't take much space) to protect the lengths and keep them conditioned.
And wearing a hat/scarf is also a good idea particularly to protect from the sun.

missmagoo
July 15th, 2011, 03:43 PM
My best advice to is to try and touch your hair as little as possible. When we camp I really and try to do styles that I know will last all day, because the less I touch my hair, the cleaner it stays.
If you have bangs or front layers, pin them back or lace braid them.
Peacock twists probably work at your length. I usually do a lazy wrap or infinity bun with a flexi 8. You might also be able to do a french braid and then clip the ends up with a flexi, plastic clip, or even a fork.
I have biodegradable shampoo that I use when camping, and if we aren't near showers, I wash my hair with a bucket- if we start to get past the 5 day mark. We just go to a secluded spot, I put my bathing suit on, and I have a little bird bath :)
However, many RV campgrounds have showers you can pay for, even if you're not camping there.
Backpacking, I put my hair up however I can that works with the hat I'm wearing. I usually wear a visor so I can put my hair in a high bun on top of my head.

trillian
July 15th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Oh how fun! I like two dutch braids, or just two low braids with a bandana for camping. I think you could probably do them at your length? Do you have a nice boar bristle brush? You might check through the water only thread for some suggestions.

Have a ball!

whitestiletto
July 16th, 2011, 12:19 PM
I would keep my hair oiled and in french braids or buns. Im on a road trip now and have my hair front half in two princess leia buns small, andthe rear half in a single loose braid in the back. Its the same length as yours.

podo
July 16th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Probably two braids or a peacock bun would be fastest and easiest, especially with no mirror - and they'll hold while you do your thing. Look into getting a camping mirror though, since it has many uses besides doing your hair. ;) I had one about the size of a playing card, with a hole through the middle to focus the sun's rays to start a fire.

Look at dry shampoos - I'm sure there are several listed on LHC that you could find in your area, or order online - or call one of the backpacking stores on the trail and see if they sell some, though you'll probably pay more and won't have many choices. You can put some in a camping salt shaker (or any non-glass shaker with a lid) if the bottle is too big.

For conditioning, depending on your hair, you might get away with none, or with a leave-in spray, or maybe oiling.

Good luck! And have fun!

Bill D.
July 16th, 2011, 09:46 PM
While on the road you can stop off at a KOA (a national chain of RV campgrounds) a few times and use their shower for a few dollars without paying for staying overnight. That would help avoid having a month's worth of dirt and oil in your hair.

Bill D.

SarahKayfa
July 16th, 2011, 10:03 PM
It sounds like a great opportunity for benign neglect. I'd caution against heavy oiling, because when I go backpacking my hair seems to collect a lot of dirt & smoke. I'd suggest rinsing your hair when you have the chance(at a campground or water source), brushing with a boar bristle brush to distribute oil and remove dirt, and wearing braids and a bandanna. There's good dry shampoos out there, but I'd suggest using them cautiously, because the scents can attract mosquitos.

Finnenna
July 16th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Thank you for all the suggestions! :D

xoxophelia
July 17th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Well I am very jealous of you! This would be one of my dream vacations :)

I would suggest bringing a hat or a bandana. I know it sounds tacky but if you are really in a pinch hair that isn't of extreme lengths can be washed in the sinks of rest stops. In the more remote areas it isn't terribly uncommon. Another option is to have a bucket, fill it with water, and rinse that way. Truck stops also have showers for fairly cheap.