PDA

View Full Version : What and why?

ApostolicMom
July 15th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Maybe I'm just ignorant... and unfortunately I don't have time to read all of the various posts about such things...

What are cones and all of these other things? Many of you don't wash your hair? What is up with the oils, powder, coconut etc? Is this to get hair to grow quicker and healthier?

I saw a thread that I wanted to comment on but in order to comment I needed to join so here I am... Is the goal of everyone here to grow hair to donate or is this just anyone who has or likes long hair?

(Just so you know- my hair reaches my ankles and I have never heard of this stuff so I am a little confused)

Anje
July 15th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Generally we're just people who either have long hair or want to grow hair long, most usually for our own purposes rather than donation.

Here's an article with some of the standard advice for new folks. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39)
And welcome.

gthlvrmx
July 15th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Welcome! Love your length!

This website is for anyone who loves hair, wants to talk about, learn, anything really :)
Cones are the synthetic oils inside several hair products, especially shampoo and conditioner, that are usually not soluble in water so the build up and start drying the hair because they block off moisture from getting in.
Some of us don't wash our hair a lot, or at all, because it's strips away our natural oils too much and takes away the moisture, plus the extra handling will result in a little more damage.
Lots of oils are used to make your hair more manageable, help retain moisture, and for others things like maybe break a few mineral bonds(coconut oil) to help with hard water buildup. They don't really always help make your hair grow longer, some may, but it's usually to protect the ends. Extra Virgin Olive Oil(EVOO) is another great kitchen oil that works great with a lot of peoples hair :)

RitaCeleste
July 15th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Its mostly people who want to grow long hair. I don't know of any movement to donate hair. Some hair needs pampering a bit when its so far from the scalp and natural oils. There are many ways to see that it gets the oils and moisture it needs as it grows longer. For some people that means water only and preening to distribute their own oils. For others it means washing hair with a light conditioner rather than shampooing all the time. If you wash with a cone free conditioner, it doesn't remove cones that are added to many other hair products and so either you give them up or you use shampoo occasionally to get them out. Others condition, shampoo, condition again. Still others just shampoo and condition because that's what their hair likes best. Also the people on this site have links to every cool hair toy site I think. You are bound to see pretty things to wear in your hair here, so be warned!

ApostolicMom
July 15th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Thank you. The article and your words helped -a little at least :)

Nae
July 15th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Lol, oh my. You are suffering from what is called LHC overload, this place is huge and there is a huge amount of information to wade through. Reading posts is going to be a great way to learn so just read a little here and there when you do have time. A great place to start is in the Articles section. Here is a great read called Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice. (It is also in the articles section but I will link it for you.) http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39

"Cones" are an ingredient in many shampoos and conditioners. Some people on here do really well if they cut the cones out of their haircare routines. Some people swear by them. There are a lot of abreviations on this site and you might do well to look over this link so you know what the "lingo" is around here. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=10

The oils? Well, I am sure you have heard of hot oil treatments right? Many LHCers have found that using a little bit of oil (coconut, olive, jojoba, ect) in there hair keeps their ends protected and happy and contributes to the overall health of their hair.

Powder? Hmmm, there are some powders that are used as a "dry shampoo" perhaps that is what you are thinking of.

Yes, this site is a huge collection of information on how to grow hair that is healthy and long. (If we can do it more quickly all the better!)

Overwhelmingly LHC does not seem to care for "growing it out to donate." Not necessarily because they don't like the companies but more because there is a lot of pressure on long haired people to donate, even strangers sometimes think they should give their two cents about that. Some people feel that some of the donation places are not entirely upfront about how much donated hair is sold and thrown away and how much actually goes to "kids with cancer."

We are a group of people who either have long hair or are actively growing it out. We do have some short haired individuals, generally ones who joined the forums years ago, decided long hair wasn't for them but stayed because they have many friends here.

It sounds like you would fit right in here with your ankle length hair. We would be happy to learn from you. Welcome to the forums!!!

ApostolicMom
July 15th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Thank you ladies... I will just have to browse here and there. Learn from me- probably unlikely. I always have people who expect me to donate because of how much hair I do have but my hair is the Glory God has given me and I don't plan to give it away (at least not until this body is no use to me anymore:)) Thank you for the quick responses. I look forward to interacting with all of you!

Slinks
July 15th, 2011, 02:24 PM
:-) what they all said .. I still learn everytime I read a thread like this, thanks to all ..

welcome !! can't wait for you to set up your own albums, would love to see your ankle length hair :-)

ArienEllariel
July 15th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Thank you ladies... I will just have to browse here and there. Learn from me- probably unlikely. I always have people who expect me to donate because of how much hair I do have but my hair is the Glory God has given me and I don't plan to give it away (at least not until this body is no use to me anymore:)) Thank you for the quick responses. I look forward to interacting with all of you!

Ditto. I don't plan on donating my hair. I'm growing my hair out for both personal and "religious" reasons. Well, technically I'm not religious. I just have a strong relationship with Christ. :) I'm growing my hair out to my knees.This forum is so so useful and full of information about different ways to care for hair. I'm sure you'll love it here! Look forward to seeing you around the boards. :D

ApostolicMom
July 15th, 2011, 02:48 PM
I'll have to figure out the album thing and take a picture. I have never really taken a picture- I almost always wear it up- obviously it gets in the way especially caring for a house and three kids.

I have wanted a good "professional" picture done lately before I get older and it starts really thinning and turning grayer than it is. :(

Nae
July 15th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Kids are good for picture taking if you don't mind having a few retakes.:D Put em to work!!

RitaCeleste
July 15th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Snap shots work! I have to wait on my sister and her phone camera. Its not a top quality photo but it hides lots of flaws. My daughter had a good camera and I learned to hate the honesty of that gadget. Quick photos are just fine though. I just discovered I could put my hair up and the videos and pics of updo's and buns and how to do them. This site has lots of information and links and great people, it just kinda sucks you right in.

Kristamommyx3
July 15th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Welcome! :flower:
It starts out overwhelming, but it's really all very interesting. Just take small bites of information as you want, and eventually it will all start to make sense. I am also a Christian home keeper with three children! Nice to meet you!