View Full Version : Temporary Hair Color

kahill
July 15th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Has anyone had success with any sort of temporary hair color? I've never, IN MY LIFE, colored my hair. I have almost 36 inches of virgin hair, and am LOVING all of these gorgeous heads of henna-dyed hair.

I'm just wondering if there is anything that is TRULY temporary that will actually wash out 100%? Just in case I want to experiment. I don't want to try something and spend the next 5 years growing out this length again, particularly when I'm shooting for knee-length right now.

TIA!

jaquelines
July 15th, 2011, 02:07 PM
well..on blonde hair, there is a risk that you will not get the color as easy to go away. i use semi-permanent colors and i had bleached hair. i wanted to have a cooper/red/orange thing and the effect i loved from the semi-permanent dye faded very quick, instead i had a rest of the color and it didn´t looked nice. it didn´t bothered me either, because i wasn´t going to go back to my original color, but i think it is sage to say, that you might need quite some time to really get over the color. especially if your hair is very porous.

Ann Marie
July 15th, 2011, 02:32 PM
If you want the henna experience without the color commitment...try cassia....

It will make your hair a bit golden....and was out in about a month.
Make sure you clarify first...especially if you have hard water...

Mix with luke warm water....add a bit of olive oil (about a capful) and some essential oil. I like tea tree.

If you like...you can add a bit of henna later ....(this is what I did)
Blonde hair will POP with henna...so precede with caution! It will be bright....

I have dark blonde hair and use 1/3 henna/ cassia...I love it.

Also...test the mix on your wrist first to test for allergies!

Also....I have a hard time getting semis out of my hair...so be careful....:rolleyes:

If you are using chemicals....try a med Blonde...and semi-color...not demi-

Note that for example....I have dark blonde hair...I used dark blonde demi and it came out med/dark brown...that is because color on top of color makes darker...so I should say to use light blonde on your hair just to try...

You have to ask...do I want to go darker? Ashier....redder etc....You need to know the base color...

Ash is a green base....blue/red is I believe neutral...red/red copper is warm! And you are mixing with whatever base you have on your hair!

You can also try a glaze! This lasts about a week!

Hope this helps! Have fun!:cheese:

kahill
July 15th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Having never dyed before, I'm not sure how porous my hair really is, but I figured being a blonde that the color may never really go away.

Thanks for your insight!

Quezie
July 15th, 2011, 02:33 PM
There really is no way to guarantee that it will wash out completely, especially since blonde hair is usually pretty porous.

The only thing I can think to do is to find the dye you're interested in, dye some of your shed hairs, and see how many washes it takes to get it out completely?

kahill
July 15th, 2011, 02:47 PM
If you want the henna experience without the color commitment...try cassia....

It will make your hair a bit golden....and was out in about a month.
Make sure you clarify first...especially if you have hard water...

Mix with luke warm water....add a bit of olive oil (about a capful) and some essential oil. I like tea tree.

If you like...you can add a bit of henna later ....(this is what I did)
Blonde hair will POP with henna...so precede with caution! It will be bright....

I have dark blonde hair and use 1/3 henna/ cassia...I love it.

Also...test the mix on your wrist first to test for allergies!

Also....I have a hard time getting semis out of my hair...so be careful....:rolleyes:

If you are using chemicals....try a med Blonde...and semi-color...not demi-

Note that for example....I have dark blonde hair...I used dark blonde demi and it came out med/dark brown...that is because color on top of color makes darker...so I should say to use light blonde on your hair just to try...

You have to ask...do I want to go darker? Ashier....redder etc....You need to know the base color...

Ash is a green base....blue/red is I believe neutral...red/red copper is warm! And you are mixing with whatever base you have on your hair!

You can also try a glaze! This lasts about a week!

Hope this helps! Have fun!:cheese:

I had sort of trying a little more red. How do I figure out what my base color is? I have, basically strawberry-blonde hair. (see my avatar) But a little lighter blonde might not be bad. And I forgot to mention that I'd prefer a natural method, rather than chemicals.

But I'm a little bit of a coward and don't want to commit to any permanent change - especially one that I'll eventually have to grow out...

Ann Marie
July 18th, 2011, 10:21 AM
I had sort of trying a little more red. How do I figure out what my base color is? I have, basically strawberry-blonde hair. (see my avatar) But a little lighter blonde might not be bad. And I forgot to mention that I'd prefer a natural method, rather than chemicals.

But I'm a little bit of a coward and don't want to commit to any permanent change - especially one that I'll eventually have to grow out...

So your hair is a warm color...

You could try a few hi-lights in the front...that would be very pretty if you want to go lighter...

If you go darker...the reason it does not wash out with semis and demis is that they use a touch of peroxide....and this lightens hair a bit...just a tad...enough to make it a bit porus...just enough to let a little bit of the color stick as it fades...this does not show on darker hair...nor does it lead to much damage...if at all...

I think a few baby fine strands in the front could be lightened....you will always incur a bit of damage when lightening...but your hair is already blonde so not as much because you could lighten only one level.

For natural colors....I would try cassia...it will leave your hair completely intact after it washes out....

I love the glossy mirror shine of henna/cassia...or just cassia...:D

There is a thread here..."help me choose a henna mix"...she has loads of pics...her hair is a tiny bit darker than yours and she has pics of her strand test....(henna and cassia)

Ann Marie
July 18th, 2011, 02:30 PM

here is the link...this should help with henna/cassia
http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32012 :)

Anje
July 18th, 2011, 02:40 PM
For really, truly temporary stuff, I would suggest you look at Fanci-full rinses (http://www.haircareusa.com/roux_fanci_full_rinse.htm). They're supposed to come out with the next wash, so even with your light hair, presumably you should have it all out within a few washes. I can't say I was extremely fond of the texture or anything the one time I tried them (and the dark brown just did not cover my red), but it should give you some color without any permanent staining.

ETA: I think you can get them in brick-and-mortar stores and almost certainly for better prices than on that site I linked, but no guarantees that they'd have the color you wanted. (Search online a bit more. I just chose a link that had color examples.) Tend to be targeted at folks who want to cover gray, if that helps you search them down at all.