PDA

View Full Version : Very pretty, but is this safe for hair?

Peashy
July 15th, 2011, 03:26 AM
I recently saw this tutorial on YouTube while looking for ideas and inspiration. I think it looks lovely but isn't it damaging to the hair when it is pulled up on one strand? I do love how soft and sleek her hair is though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LWKRXYATYQ&feature=fvsr

Sweet Beat
July 15th, 2011, 03:32 AM
I've tried it. For my hair this technique didn't work at all. It got very messy and I wasn't able to pull all the way. I maybe did it wrong, have too long hair or something ;) Good luck if you try it :D

pink.sara
July 15th, 2011, 03:35 AM
Hmm.. Looks like a nice way to break bits. I used to do something similar by taking little sections and twisting and twisting until the section doubles back on itself then using a bobby or spin pin to fix them in place. Looks like a mass of shiny coils when you're done and no risk of snapping bits off!!

Sweetie
July 15th, 2011, 04:11 AM
hmmm it reminds me of the backcombing effect....I think this technique absolutely damages hair......

vintage88
July 15th, 2011, 04:25 AM
made me cringe when she pulled the hair down the strand! I think it must cause some damage, but it is pretty though! :)

Sundial
July 15th, 2011, 05:42 AM
Like what Sweetie said, it seems similar to backcombing but I really have to agree it's a pretty updo and I wouldn't mind doing this to my hair once in a blue moon.

:p But this is coming from someone who still uses velcro rollers occasionally! I think that we should have fun with our hair sometimes without having to worry about it all the time :D Moderation is key, so long as you're not overdoing it I don't think it is that bad. Again it depends on hair types since fine thin hair may not take the abuse that well but you know your hair best ;)

Paranda Belle
July 15th, 2011, 06:12 AM
I think if you used a bigger strand of hair, it wouldnt be so damaging. You could also use a ribbon perhaps instead of a strand of hair to form the curl.

heidihug
July 15th, 2011, 07:02 AM
I don't think that style would work for anyone with hair longer than waist (or BSL, more likely). Personally, even if my hair was short, I know I would have dreadful tangles the instant I did that twist and slide technique, even if I used a ribbon instead of a strand of hair.

Madora
July 15th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Oh, God, pulling that hair like that!!! No way!

Angeletti
July 15th, 2011, 11:52 AM
That made me cringe when she slid her hair up that small piece of hair, I definitely wouldn't try it myself because it seems damaging. I achieve a very similar updo by rolling small sections of my hair around my fingers and securing them with hair pins, I have a picture of it on the second page in my hair album if your interested.

monsterna
July 15th, 2011, 11:58 AM
In every video I've seen of hers, she is doing something damaging. :undecided

PinkyCat
July 15th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Eeek. Yo. No.
Especially not with curls.

Macaroni
July 15th, 2011, 01:13 PM
I can't believe I saw that!

Slinks
July 15th, 2011, 02:44 PM
lol .. I'm still waiting for it to load .. all your comments alone are making me cringe !! :-) off to watch it now ..

OMG !!!!! I didn't think I would need to edit as I believed you all about how cringe worthy it would be BUT OMG all I watched was the first pull and my eyes popped out of my head !! I just had to report back .. lol

CareBear
July 15th, 2011, 07:42 PM
It totally made me go "EEEEK!" when I saw that first pull! shudder! My hair would be an absolute nightmare if I did that. I think her hair is either naturally straight or flat ironed. Also probably has a lot of cones or slippery products. I don't think it would be suitable for long hair (as we define it lol) it looks like hers is pretty short actually.

vanillabones
July 15th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Looks like backcombing, which I used to do, makes me want to cry now especially since my hair is so fine and thin... great way to make it even thinner ;) :( yuck.

jacqueline101
July 15th, 2011, 07:49 PM
I wouldn't try it it looks damaging to the hair.

Keller1128
July 15th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Monsterna - Same here. I've watched a few of her videos and they're usually very pretty hairstyles but are very bad for your hair!

Slinks - Me too! I saw the first part where she pulled the hair down that strand and had seen enough! Made me cringe!

GRU
July 16th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I didn't get past the first pull.... if I did that on my curly hair (you know what I'm talking about, PinkyCat!) the only way to recover from it would involve scissors.

No.

Hell no.

sakuramoon08
July 16th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Oh my god!!!!! Heck no!!!! Sounds like a excellent way to really mess your hair up!!!! I vote a decided NO!!!!

pepperminttea
July 16th, 2011, 02:42 PM
The feeling I got when I first saw that was very similar to the feeling from hearing someone pull their nails down a blackboard. shudder:

You could also use a ribbon perhaps instead of a strand of hair to form the curl.

That's a great idea! :)

FluffSpider
July 16th, 2011, 02:46 PM
You guys do realise that finding these posts(without the original post) in any other forum would make people think a clip of someone beating a kitten was posted, right?
Is it damaging: Yep.
Would I do it? Yep. My messy buns come out sleek at times.darn!

auburn
July 16th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I've tried it. For my hair this technique didn't work at all. It got very messy and I wasn't able to pull all the way. I maybe did it wrong, have too long hair or something ;) Good luck if you try it :D

Her hair speaks for the hairstyle...it's kinda ...in not so good condition...

therefore... I think it's not good for the hair to do such hairstyle too often, too much manipulation involved... it would be ok once/month or so...

paintedhorse
August 22nd, 2011, 06:42 AM
it look nice when its done but i have to confess i cringed too when i saw her pull her hair back like that i imaged i could hear all the damage lol but it does look nice though

lunalesca
August 22nd, 2011, 06:51 AM
Nice hairdo, but it looks damaging. Maybe you should once give it a try - I won't :o

julliams
August 22nd, 2011, 07:52 AM
I tried it on one small bit and my strand snapped right away. I don't think this would work for me but it might if you had quite slippery hair perhaps?

spidermom
August 22nd, 2011, 08:19 AM
I wouldn't do it, either. Pushing against the natural lie of the cuticle would roughen it.

Eirelin
August 22nd, 2011, 11:59 AM
Actually, I have done it quite a few times now, and there is never any damage... If you do it right! She also has another version for straight hair that involves making a rope twist.

All you are doing is pushing the hair backward. Unlike backcombing, it is not rubbing against the small strand you are holding in your other hand. You will notice that it doesn't create a poofy mess like backcombing. Instead, you have defined curls. When you remove the pins, the hair just slides back down the strand without tangling.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn245/Eirelin/Hair/DSC01564.jpg

Her hair speaks for the hairstyle...it's kinda ...in not so good condition...

therefore... I think it's not good for the hair to do such hairstyle too often, too much manipulation involved... it would be ok once/month or so...

Actually, the condition of her hair has more to do with backcombing, regular coloring, hairspray, flat irons, and curling irons. I like a lot of her videos, but I avoid the styles that involve any of the above. As for the scrunchie curls (as I call them), I have not had any problems.

curlymarcia
August 23rd, 2011, 02:48 PM
The result is lovely, but I think it damages hair. I wouldn't try in my poor hair, but my hair is not at it's best. But I don't feel like you will have a lot of damage for one single time.
P.S. There are a lot of cute friendly hair styles on youtube

SoulOfTheSea
August 23rd, 2011, 03:14 PM
It is pretty, but man did it make me cringe when I saw it! D:

Cowgirl16
August 26th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Looks like a great way to get a big KNOT! I couldn't imagine combing that out :( I agree with the other posters it looks like back combing :eek:

SilverMcFly17
August 26th, 2011, 02:27 PM
I do the similar version that others have mentioned of twisting around my finger and pinning up. But thanks so very much for posting this video.. Because there's about a million videos on the side I now have to watch. UGH!!!:cloud9: As if I needed another way to spend time in front of this thing. LOL :D

kettle
August 26th, 2011, 02:51 PM
I really like lilith moon's stuff, but yeah, she does do some quite damaging things in some of her styles! I've seen this one before. There's this technique, and there's backcombing, so far. She's quite a fan of both. As soon as I spot either in a video, I stop it and move on to another!

She does have some lovely hair-friendly styles too. This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ&feature=channel_video_title) is one of my absolute favourites - I'm wearing it (or, something that vaguely resembles it) to a wedding tomorrow. She's really very skilled, and great at explaining things clearly, but I guess she is essentially a model working in the beauty industry, so it's usually about how it looks, above how damaging it might be for your hair.

mallorykay13
August 26th, 2011, 03:04 PM
even stroking my hair against the cuticle bothers me..

Audrey Horne
August 26th, 2011, 03:42 PM
It gives me uncomfortable feelings :-/ It just creates tangles, so I wouldn't do it.