PDA

View Full Version : Chelating with Club Soda?

Sundial
July 15th, 2011, 01:19 AM
I know there are threads talking about chelating with club soda, but has anyone taken a look at the ingredient list on the cans? Its main contents are carbonated water and bicarbonate. How is this different from using baking soda rinses? :confused:

Aveyronnaise
July 15th, 2011, 02:33 AM
I've heard the bubbles are part of the chelating process too. I tried this a few months ago and it did seem to have 'some' effect. Not too much regular vinegar rinses have had a more noticeable result for me.
I am going to try the bubble soak again though to see if it does anything .

Sundial
July 15th, 2011, 03:15 AM
Ok now that makes sense! I was wondering whether I should be letting it run flat like beer rinses and couldn't decide :o thanks Aveyronnaise! You managed to answer 2 queries in just 1 post :flower:

Aveyronnaise
July 15th, 2011, 03:53 AM
No problem , Happy Chelating !

Tabitha
July 15th, 2011, 05:22 AM
I've used regular fizzy mineral water as a final rinse (San Pellegrino) and the bubbles feel really nice and refreshing on the scalp! it feels as if they're getting in between the hairs in a way that still water doesn't.

torrilin
July 15th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Simple. Carbonated water is carbonic acid. I suspect (tho I haven't worked out the math to be sure, partly because it's not straightforward to get the chemical amounts from the label) that baking soda makes club soda into a buffer solution (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffer_solution). This would make the p.H range a bit more stable than most of the other acidic rinses we'd use on our hair.

Sundial
July 15th, 2011, 05:51 AM
Fizzy drinks are actually created by the introduction of carbonic acid right? I'm assuming that the acidic nature of the sparklies should be good for hair :eyebrows:

But a bottle of Pellegrino wouldn't be enough for me :o I would have finished off half the bottle before I get a chance to use any on my hair. I haven't tasted club sodas yet and don't intend to start :p as long as I don't know if it's something I would like, my stomach wouldn't have to compete with my hair for rations. Don't any of you dare spoil it for me by telling me what it's like!

MeganE
July 15th, 2011, 05:53 AM
Fizzy drinks are actually created by the introduction of carbonic acid right? I'm assuming that the acidic nature of the sparklies should be good for hair :eyebrows:

But a bottle of Pellegrino wouldn't be enough for me :o I would have finished off half the bottle before I get a chance to use any on my hair. I haven't tasted club sodas yet and don't intend to start :p as long as I don't know if it's something I would like, my stomach wouldn't have to compete with my hair for rations. Don't any of you dare spoil it for me by telling me what it's like!

I bolded the part that's making me crack up over here. I know exactly what you mean!!

Sundial
July 15th, 2011, 05:59 AM
Simple. Carbonated water is carbonic acid. I suspect (tho I haven't worked out the math to be sure, partly because it's not straightforward to get the chemical amounts from the label) that baking soda makes club soda into a buffer solution (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffer_solution). This would make the p.H range a bit more stable than most of the other acidic rinses we'd use on our hair.

Would that mean club soda does not clarify the way baking soda rinses do or does it also do the job of clarifying? And similarly, does that mean that baking soda rinse is able to chelate too?

If so then it would sound like club soda is a safer choice for the job since some people have highlighted getting their hair wrecked by the alkalinity of strong baking soda rinses

Sundial
July 15th, 2011, 06:05 AM
I bolded the part that's making me crack up over here. I know exactly what you mean!!

I felt silly saying it because it seems like a naive way of thinking but that exactly what I thought at that point in time :p I know the greedy side of me was a little upset at hearing that San Pellegrino sparkling water had hair-friendly qualities to it, but I don't think I'll ever get round to trying since DH loves his sparkling too. If he finds that I'm siphoning off sparkling on top of beer, I don't think I'll ever be allowed on LHC again!

torrilin
July 15th, 2011, 06:27 AM
I don't know enough of the chemistry of how clarifying works to give a good answer. If you read through the wikipedia article on buffer solutions, you'll notice that it's very important to have both the acid *and* the base present, or the solution stops being a buffer. So if baking soda has to react with some of the gook in your hair in order for it to clarify your hair, the club soda would stop being a buffer solution. Does the baking soda have to react to clarify? I dunno.

I personally would not treat a club soda rinse as a form of clarifying until I've tried it and tested it. And I'm not really inclined to test since I can use a clarifying shampoo and a vinegar rinse to get my hair clarified and chelated, and on my hair that's a reasonable routine to do every day if need be.