PDA

View Full Version : airplane hairdos

Oberon88
June 24th, 2008, 03:04 PM
I am going to be on a plane/ traveling for over 24 hours starting Saturday, and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how I should do my hair. I used to just wear it in a ponytail, but now it is too long.
I was thinking two braids. Does anyone have any success with a particular style?

burns_erin
June 24th, 2008, 03:07 PM
I favor two french braids with them as far apart as possible. I like them so far apart it is almost/really goofy looking. That way I am not laying on the braids, and when they are just right, they keep my head stable when I lay back and fall asleep.

Niphredil
June 24th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Usually I keep it in a basic braid, starting low at the nape.
The two frenchbraids doubling as headsupport are also a very good idea.

Anyway, choose a style that is comfy, protects the hair, and works without specific hairtoys. Just a plain (metal free) elastic/band.

Anje
June 24th, 2008, 03:31 PM
My usual travel style is a single braid, which then can be pulled over my shoulder so I don't lean on it. Two braids would work very well, too.

The big thing is that you want something comfortable to lean your head back with, that won't interfere with the seat, and you want something that won't set off metal detectors (Ficarres!) or attract the attention of security (hairsticks and forks, potentially).

Fencai
June 24th, 2008, 03:32 PM
i will third the braids. After being on a plane for 21 hours to Shanghai, I found that braids worked the best. easy to put in, easy to take out/redo if need be.

travel safe!

Laululintu
June 24th, 2008, 04:23 PM
I'll usually braid my hair for flying, and for long train journeys. It keeps it out of the way, and doesn't interfere with my ability to sleep on the journey.

Chromis
June 24th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I wear a false crown braid ala a certain Ukrainian politician that gets discussed here often. I'd do a real crown braid if I had the dexterity. It looks more grown up and professional than double braids (don't need security creeps harassing me for looking looking like some scary hippie or something!) and is easy to sleep on. A single braid still gets in the way for me on an airplane and gets all fuzzy.

Igor
June 25th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Single French braid with lots of leave in-conditioner. You can rest your head and it doesn’t mess up so fast, it keeps shorter pieces in check and there is no weight of an up do to pull and give you a headache

Miss Murphy
June 25th, 2008, 12:51 AM
I always wear braids for travel - be it on a plane, train or car.

Ususally I wear a braided bun with just a wooden fork, and when I'm on the plane, I take the fork out.

If your hair unravels rather fast, I would go with the two braids as suggested, or with the crown braids.

Godspeed! :)

blondecat
June 25th, 2008, 05:12 AM
brush your hair neatly over to one side and plait, It's very easy and very comfy.

mira-chan
June 25th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Plain braid which I clip up with a Ficcare in a folded braid when I need it out of the way.

Patty lou
June 25th, 2008, 08:37 AM
I find 2 braids the best as I can lean my head back and don't have a large bump on the back of my head, plus I think they look pretty, hair friendly elastics on the ends, no metal objects to cause trouble with airline security.

Patty lou

Rebelkat
June 26th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I would probably braid it. I don't know that a ponytail would do any good at protecting it on a flight. The two braids style that you suggested would work just fine!

FlipHunny
June 26th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I suggest to make sure it's comfy enough to rest your head on. Nothing too lumpy or anything that will easily become messy from rubbing your head against the seat. When I flew to the Philippines, it was 24 hours with 1 stopover. I had 2 piggy tail braids, and they lasted the whole way for me.

Celtic Queen
June 27th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Plain braid which I clip up with a Ficcare in a folded braid when I need it out of the way.

Definitely seconding that ; surprisingly enough, the ficcare do not start the metal detectors in my own traveling experience. That way, I got my hair completely out of the way for lugging around luggages and so on ( no braids caught in suitcase and backpack straps), but I can take it down and rest my head on the airplane seat to "sleep" in-flight.

rubyredslippers
June 27th, 2008, 08:21 AM
As with many others on here, I support the two english-braid idea (or french braids, if that's your preference). This is the style I always (or almost always) default to when travelling. I find single braids need redoing at some point. But it's all personal preference.

burns_erin
June 27th, 2008, 08:26 AM
A note aboput my suggestion of two really far apart frech braids. With them that far over they can go over your front, instead of trailing down your back. I actually once even tucked my braids down the front of the neck hole of my shirt when one of my fellow passengers was a little too interested in my hair.

jel
June 27th, 2008, 08:41 AM
For long haul travel I find the most comfortable style to be a French braid flipped up and folded. I use a Ficcare (for secure hold) high on my head (for comfort when resting my head). I've learnt to take it out and put it in the little box for keys/phone when going through the metal detector at airports - otherwise it sets it off.

Tangles
June 27th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Hmm--how about a very high bun or cute top knot--this way your head won't hurt from leaning against your hair.

Magdalene
June 27th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I do two french braids, and loop up the tails if necessary to take up length. I can also quickly put this up into a braided chinese bun if I need to look more grown up. Avoid sticks, esp. metal ones!

jel
June 27th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Hmm--how about a very high bun or cute top knot--this way your head won't hurt from leaning against your hair.

Interestingly, I find my flipped-up French braid quite cushioning to my head.

Gladtobemom
June 27th, 2008, 09:32 AM
So that as I turn a little to the right to get comfy, my braid isn't in the way.

Also, I usually just use a Blax silicone elastic to hold the braid. That way I keep it simple.

It also means I can put my braid in front of me when in a crowd so it won't catch on anything.

spaceagerock
November 22nd, 2013, 02:12 AM
I'm attempting to revive this thread as I've got a very long haul flight coming up in two week (UK-NZ). :)

I'm a nervous flyer as it is, but now I'm worried about my hair too! For the first time, I've managed to hit waist and I'm worried the travel (bags, other passangers etc) and the dry air will cause damage. My hair is super fine, Scandinavian hair (delicate lace, anyone?).

I've considered the double (french) braids, but they'll end up looking so shabby I'll take them out & ideally I don't want to be re-doing my hair at all. Thought about the crown braid suggestion too, but I need to travel really early in the morning to the airport so not sure I'll have to opportunity to do that unless I get up at around 4am :P Don't want to do a pony or cinnabun either because they end up "pulling" my hair after a while (think it's due to the fine-ness of my hair)...

Any more suggestions? :)

Tail Feathers
November 22nd, 2013, 02:24 AM
i travel a LOT for work (all over, americas, europe, middle east, etc)
and
now i always use a braided nautilus
since
it holds without pins and without ties

(many times, if i use metal pins, at the control points they make me take my hair down to show them otherwise)

and
i can undo the bun and rest comfortably with the braid, redo the bun to look pulled together
and arrive to destination with beautiful braid waves !

wish you a safe and happy journey
all best

spaceagerock
November 22nd, 2013, 02:40 AM
I wish I could do a nautilus without anything holding it up, but my hair is too fine/silky and it holds for about 2s. Hm, I suppose I could always use a plastic fork though..?

Tail Feathers
November 22nd, 2013, 03:27 AM
i would certainly think so
nothing plastic should set off the metal detectors !

Tail Feathers
November 22nd, 2013, 03:30 AM
i would certainly think so
nothing plastic should set off the metal detectors !

Paranda Belle
November 22nd, 2013, 04:14 AM
I'm another braided nautilus bun traveller. But I secure it through the middle with a beak clip when I'm not sleeping in my seat as I like my hair to be up in public. The advantage of using a beak clip is that 99% of people know it is a hair toy and won't think you will use it to harm people (although I think trapping someone's finger would hurt bad!) When I go through security I take the beak clip out and clip it onto my bag handle. It goes through the machine and I hopefully don't set off any alarms and can quickly and easily find my clip. My bun sometimes stays up, but if not it only takes a few seconds to redo.