PDA

View Full Version : Tea spritz for hair

ellen732
July 14th, 2011, 04:52 PM
I just wanted to throw this out there as I like to experiment every once in awhile. I like tea rinses for my hair, so I was thinking, does anyone have a tea recipe that they use in their mister bottle? Or, does anyone leave their tea rinse in (no final rinse) and how often? TIA.

DoubleCrowned
July 15th, 2011, 07:35 AM
From the lack of response, it appears that you have quite an original idea.

I have not tried a tea spritz, but one thing that occurs to me is to check to see if any of the teas you are thinking of using are also dye plants and whether the color is permanent. Tea spritzing could be a neat way of tinting hair while nourishing it.

QueenJoey
July 15th, 2011, 07:43 AM
I once steeped fenugreek seeds in hot water for four hours, drained the seeds, and used the liquid in my mister bottle. The thing is, I don't know enough about it to know how often I can use or if I must rinse it out or not, so I haven't used it in awhile. I wish I could be more helpful, but I really hope you get more replies. I'm very interested in this myself.

cheetahfast
July 15th, 2011, 08:03 AM
I just wanted to throw this out there as I like to experiment every once in awhile. I like tea rinses for my hair, so I was thinking, does anyone have a tea recipe that they use in their mister bottle? Or, does anyone leave their tea rinse in (no final rinse) and how often? TIA.

I didn't know that I was supposed to wash the tea rinse out...
I usually leave the rinse in, it makes my hair glossy and takes away the frizz. Also ever since I joined the rooibos experiment I've been spraying the tea on my hair instead of styling products after I wash, it keeps the frizz away and doesn't build up. I just brew a strong cup for my mister bottle.

emma907
July 15th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I use a concoction of catnip tea with drops of tea tree oil and lavender oil (for the smell, I think catnip smells a bit like wee) in a spray bottle.

And so far I've found when I spray it on sparingly after wash and once through the day it doesn't get sticky or build up but makes my hair really well conditioned.

A winner for me.

knoxkatie
July 15th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Here is an entire thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=71576) about spritzing rooibos tea on the scalp.

HairFaerie
July 15th, 2011, 10:18 AM
I use a leave-in rooibos mixture. (See thread posted above.)

I just made a special batch that also contains a little jojoba oil, castor oil, EOs of lavender, patchouli & cedarwood. It not only smells good but I am hoping the small amounts of oils mixed with the rooibos also help accelerate growth.

In the past I have made tea rinses from chamomile, sage, basil, horsetail and nettles.

Be sure to keep them refrigerated because they will get moldy. Eww.

knoxkatie
July 15th, 2011, 10:28 AM
I use a leave-in rooibos mixture. (See thread posted above.)

I just made a special batch that also contains a little jojoba oil, castor oil, EOs of lavender, patchouli & cedarwood. It not only smells good but I am hoping the small amounts of oils mixed with the rooibos also help accelerate growth.

This sounds lovely! I may have to copy cat this idea.

PamelaViktoria
July 15th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I've experimented with everything, but my hair never looked better just doing water only.

HairFaerie
July 15th, 2011, 10:37 AM
This sounds lovely! I may have to copy cat this idea.

Oh, I forgot to say that I used distilled water in the mixture.

I just used it and my hair is super soft!

ellen732
July 15th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Thank you for all of your responses. Well, this morning I brewed a cup of Celestial Seasonings Black Cherry tea (I use it in my henna too). The primary ingredient is hibiscus and it is an herbal tea so I figured it couldn't hurt. I put it in my mister bottle with two tablespoons of Aubrey's Aloe Vera liquid. After I washed my hair I spritzed it in before detangling. I combed it out and then put Fox's Shea butter conditioner in and I have to say my hair came out really nice. Very soft and shiny. When I originally posted this thread I was thinking of using black tea because that was what I use in my tea rinses but I was afraid of dryness and build up from the tannins. I like the tannins though because they give my hair some back bone, another words they make my fine hair not so fly away. I think I will stick with the herb tea for now though.