PDA

View Full Version : Flying out to Vegas next week and terrified for my hair!

Asahinasan
July 14th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Ok this might seem slightly crazy (it sure did to my hubby last night when I brought it up to him!) BUT... Next week we are flying to Vegas for our fifth wedding anniversary, and I'm terrified that I'm going to manage to damage my hair while out there...

I'm planning on bringing my own shampoo and conditioner and my oils while out there (In approved flying containers of course) but my hair is very fragile as it is, and its used to being in extremely humid climate... well I'm not sure what to do out there in the ovens of the world (I remember very vividly stepping off the plane last time I was there and feeling like I had just stepped into an oven... yeah I don't buy into the whole "Yeah its hot, but its a DRY heat" give me a nice soupy heat to slog through ANY day of the week!)

so I know to drink plenty of water while there, and I will have my coconut oil to slather my hair and skin in, but I'm still terrified that my hair is going to dry out while out there!!!

HELP ME not be so terrified! my hair is BSL length so I need to know what kind of styles I can do in Vegas to protect my hair that I can easily transition from out by the pool, to a fancy dinner without messing with it too much... (were out there for our anniversary AND for a vendor show for my hubby's company, so I have to be presentable as well) because my hair is so fine, sticks don't stay in my hair, and its still too short to do TOO much with... I try the double french braids, but then I look extremely young (I already look like a teen, throw my hair up into a youthful style and I look like I'm 10!!! )

I need help I know!!!

slz
July 14th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Heavy oiling + braids, I'd say.

KatiSasha
July 14th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I would say oil your hair while it's still damp to seal in the moisture, and try to bun it while it's still damp to go out to the pool (spin pins from goody are amazing at holding just about any type of hair), then when you come back you can let it down. For dinner/being presentable - what works for me is to gather your bangs (or just the front part of hair) twist it in a little pouf in front, secure with pins. Then carefully brush the rest of the hait and put it in a peacock twist. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boGblrUa_O8 This one is done with sticks, but you can always use a clip. Always worked for me in Vegas :) Good luck!

QueenJoey
July 14th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Oh my gosh! I'm going to Vegas with my fam-bam (family) in a few weeks! Maybe we'll run into each other!

Umm, I say braid it and wear scarves alot. The scarves can cover your hair to protect it, and then take the braids out for the vendor thing so you have some nice waves.

Madora
July 14th, 2011, 08:54 PM
When outdoors, wear a WHITE scarf..or a white straw hat. White helps deflect the heat from the sun. Our US postal carriers wear white solars.

You can remove the headgear when indoors.

Wearing a protective covering is a good way of protecting not only your hair, but your SCALP from sunburn, something you definitely DON'T want to experience!

Have a grand time!

missmagoo
July 14th, 2011, 09:49 PM
I live in a very dry area all the time! Here is what I do:
I use Weleda Rosemary Hair Oil after I was my hair, while it is still wet to seal in the moisture. If my hair is feeling especially dry, I leave in some conditioner and then use the hair oil to really seal things in. I wash my hair every 3-4 days.

I'd do a deep treatment right before you leave to make sure you have maximum moisture in your hair.
This summer I've been wearing my hair with each side of the front in a lace braid and then everything back in a bun a lot (the cupcakesandcashmere blog did a tutorial on it a few weeks back). It works for so many scenarios: at the pool, a windy day, out being active followed by dinner, etc. I also wear it for a night out.
HTH!

Malibu Barbie
July 15th, 2011, 02:20 AM
I grew up in AZ and was in 100+ heat most of the time. Never really thought about what the climate did to my hair. I would just go out and have a great time:)

jojo
July 15th, 2011, 04:43 AM
Aww I love Vagas, I got married in the Venitian nearly 10 years ago now. Agree with the white hat. Have a fantastic time x

Raiscake
July 15th, 2011, 06:06 AM
I lived in Vegas for a few years. I think the summer dryness is much more forgiving than the winter one. My hair didn't suffer much though. Try damp oiling and put your hair up as per usual. Good luck!

torrilin
July 15th, 2011, 08:14 AM
braided updo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HKWx47RD20&feature=player_embedded#at=389) and bweeta's buns (http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige#p/c/F3508F6411A91FDE/27/Bq0QSgCdeKU) are two variations on a theme. It's a theme I use a fair bit, and on ii thickness it should about work at your length. Twin braids can look very young, but they don't have to stay young looking. For both versions, French or Dutch braids might look a bit fancier, or might add some extra interest near your face. Twin braids tend to be pretty trouble-free for me to put in, and they last well for several days, AND it's easy to just add a bit more oil and otherwise ignore your hair.

As far as transitioning to fancy dinners... make sure to pack a few decorative bits and bobs. If you watch Torrin's videos, her hairstyles tend to look fanciest when she incorporates ribbon, or when she adds a few bobby pins with decorated ends. The more you add and the more sparkly it is, the more formal your hairstyle will appear. Springing for 4-6 decorated hairpins that coordinate with the jewelry you tend to wear for formal stuff would be a good long term investment.

knoxkatie
July 15th, 2011, 08:58 AM
The water in Vegas was great for my hair for some reason. I second the coconut oil, braids, and scarves suggestion. I think a braid to one side is pretty cute and doesn't look as youthful as pigtails. I've also been doing the braid that ends in a bun at the nape of my neck.

Take a vacation from worrying about your hair and have fun!

1953Diygal
July 15th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Your plans sound like good ones. Make sure to take some kind of mister and if I were you, I'd be careful of humectants. Since we live in a desert, they don't help very much. They actually remove moisture from your hair. Truth be told, I don't do SMTs all that much any longer....only when there's moisture in the air.

Maybe you'll luck out and we'll have one of our monsoons we've been having lately when you're out here.

I'm just trying to add a little levity to the situation, but I think you'll live to tell the tale. I've lived in Vegas since 1991 and my hair has lived to tell the tale. :eyebrows::eyebrows:

swetiepeti
July 16th, 2011, 12:26 AM
I'll be in Las Vegas as well, 4-9 August

Dark Queen
July 16th, 2011, 01:33 AM
I was in Vegas just last month, and it really wasn't that bad. I did bring my coconut oil with in a small jar and used as I normally would after a washing. Despite the dryness, it was fine. I mostly kept my hair up in a clip so it wouldn't pull on my backpack purse, so I'm sure that helped too. I wouldn't worry too much about it so long as you're prepared.