PDA

View Full Version : Penguin Cold Cap, for chemo patients

Little_Bird
July 14th, 2011, 05:21 AM
I just came across this and I just ran here :)

Check this out everyone... I think it's amazing. Watch the full video and then the links! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqYLXNKO2z0&feature=feedu

http://www.msc-worldwide.com/indexuk.html

vanity_acefake
July 14th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Wow. Tricia is an inspiring woman. I am going to follow her blog.
Thank you for posting this. I have never heard of cold caps.

ange1ito
July 14th, 2011, 07:13 AM
I saw it too. If it does work it would be like wow.

RitaPG
July 14th, 2011, 07:58 AM
I read about cold caps a couple years ago, but back then they weren't sure if it was really effective. That is just awesome :)
And Michelle's videos are sweet ^^

Sweetie
July 14th, 2011, 08:09 AM
this is absolutely good news - thanks for sharing

heartgoesboom
July 14th, 2011, 08:21 AM
my oncology professor told us that they used to tie off the scalp perimeter to prevent the chemo drug from circulating in the skull area thus preventing alopecia. except, it allowed cancer metastasis to the brain, so it's not done anymore. wouldn't cooling the scalp area to restrict the blood vessels be the same concept? (sorry if this was mentioned in the site, i didn't read through it.)

swetiepeti
July 14th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Glaxo Smith before they added the K also started to develop a topical drug that appeared to do the same thing. Sadly, it appeared they never continued on with thier studies. I'm assuming becasue they did not think they could make enough profit from it as I doubt it would be a covered item.

Ishje
July 14th, 2011, 10:58 AM
I heard about it, but I am glad to know it actually works ^^
will certainly remember this!

MagicAndMayhem
July 14th, 2011, 11:45 AM
my oncology professor told us that they used to tie off the scalp perimeter to prevent the chemo drug from circulating in the skull area thus preventing alopecia. except, it allowed cancer metastasis to the brain, so it's not done anymore. wouldn't cooling the scalp area to restrict the blood vessels be the same concept? (sorry if this was mentioned in the site, i didn't read through it.)

I was wondering about this. It seems like a neat idea, but this seems like a problem.

Anje
July 14th, 2011, 01:21 PM
That would be my worry too. Perhaps it's OK in cases where the cancer is still in an early stage and thought not to be metastatic?

slz
July 14th, 2011, 01:55 PM
It reduces superficial blood flow which is not what irrigates the brain, I'd say.