PDA

View Full Version : Great tutorial for those that want to do a crown braid on shorter hair

bunzfan
July 14th, 2011, 01:42 AM
I was looking for tutorials on crown braids for BSL length hair and i found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ its a bit like a rope braid crown braid it looks really pretty and easy:)

Katze
July 14th, 2011, 02:07 AM
has anyone tried this? It's inspiring because she looks like she has a similar hair type as mine (fine, thin ends, wavy) but not all the different lengths and layers. I am certain my hair would not stay in this 'do after stepping out of the house. The twists seem quite minimal, and how does she keep the ends staying in along the twists? It is refreshing to see at the end that there are indeed some loose pieces hanging out at her right-hand back of the neck.

Still, it really looks nice, and worth trying. Thanks!

bunzfan
July 14th, 2011, 02:19 AM
I just tried it on myself and i have fine textured hair. I'm ok until you get to the ends and try pinning it the weight of the hair at the ends not twisted from the scalp makes it want to slip out maybe it would be better with a real rope braid hmm.

bunzfan
July 14th, 2011, 06:24 AM
I just managed to do a crown braid on my pretty short hair.

Pics
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/emmerline1/002-14-1.jpg

Madora
July 14th, 2011, 06:57 AM
That was a great video, Bunzfan. I wear this style a lot!
Here is a pic from several years ago:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6554&pictureid=87285

I bend at the waist and start my twists just above my right eyebrow and work around my head.

I also found that if I divide the hair into 3 sections, I find it easier to work with (i.e. not getting mixed in with the hair I'm trying to braid. I put scrunchies on each section to keep it separate and remove the scrunchie when I'm ready to work on that section of hair.

This twisted French lacing technique is a lot easier (and faster) to do than regular French braiding and the end result is very pretty!

Nev
July 14th, 2011, 07:05 AM
that is pretty! i'm gonna try it out :) thanks for the link!

CrisDee
July 14th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Wow, I just tried it real quick on my short hair, and I think it worked! I didn't have bobby pins handy, so I didn't finish it - I was more following along with her to get the technique down and to see if it would work on my length hair. I'll hafta practice a bit and see if I can do it for real! Thanks for posting! :flower:

Alaia
July 14th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Nice! Maybe I will be able to do it!

She has some great videos.

bunzfan
July 14th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Thanks Madora i thought about trying this one after seeing the other boyelyn girl on film and i loved how it looked, i think they did Elizabethan taping but my hair is a bit short for that.

That's great Cris would love to see anyone elses pics.

Alaia she has some great videos and she's on facebook to.

Intransigentia
July 14th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Wow, that's lovely! My hair is right around BSL and I can do a regular three-strand crown braid fairly reliably (though not always tidily) but I haven't tried one like that. I think I'm going to have to watch all her videos because she has so many neat ideas.

cheetahfast
July 14th, 2011, 09:12 AM
I just tried to do this with my hair and it worked pretty well.

turquoisebud
July 14th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Great style! Everybody's pictures look beautiful! I thought I would add a link to my pic. It's not technically a real crown braid because I bunned the end on the side rather than tuck it in because it was getting to loose. :rolleyes: Not bad for a first try though. It's a very comfortable style as well. I can't even feel my hair! :p
Oops, stupid me, I forgot to add the link! :) Here it is - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7081&pictureid=107856

Madora
July 14th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Turquoisebud, your twisted braid looks gorgeous! Thanks for the link!

turquoisebud
July 14th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Turquoisebud, your twisted braid looks gorgeous! Thanks for the link!

Oh, thank you, Madora! :) I love the picture you posted earlier of your crown braid. I wish mine looked that perfect.

bunzfan
July 14th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Oh, thank you, Madora! :) I love the picture you posted earlier of your crown braid. I wish mine looked that perfect.

I agree it looks Gorgeous :crush: i think i am going to work on the twisted one some more so it looks as good as yours.

Sweetie
July 14th, 2011, 12:47 PM
I'll definetely try this one - thanks for sharing!

October
July 14th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I'll have to give it a shot.

sarahramen
July 15th, 2011, 02:37 PM
I can do this!!!!!! this is pretty much the only hairstyle i can do except for braids and a bun. also if done with SLIGHTLY damp hair i got really beautiful curls. they just lay nice. I love this style:D

Amarante
July 20th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Thank you so much for posting this, Bunzfan! I've been searching for styles that can be accomplished with my BSL length (trying the challenge of wearing my hair up). <3

Rini
July 21st, 2011, 03:52 AM
Thanks for the link! I just tried this and it worked, but as usual I got stuck at the other side (almost at the end of the braid) and messed it up. This happens to me with my dutch crown braid as well. I can do it all across the front of my head, and right the way around the back, but when I come to the finish I get confused. I also think this looks MUCH nicer on people with thicker hair. Still, it's a nice style and I shall continue to practice :D