PDA

View Full Version : Color Pencils as Hairsticks: Is it harmful?

chahuahuas
July 13th, 2011, 08:36 PM
I don't own any hairsticks, and as a student, I would usually just grab a pen or pencil if I needed to toss my hair up in a pinch. Now that I've joined LHC and I've been seeing all the pretty buns, I've been inspired to play around with nicer buns. I still don't have hairsticks though, so I've just been grabbing colored pencils off a cup on my desk and putting a couple of those in.

I really like using colored pencils, since they're cheap and I already have every color on hand, but I'm not sure what damage they might cause. Do you LHCers think they're damaging to my hair? Are they more or less damaging than the pony I put them in?

QueenJoey
July 13th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Hmm, I don't know. Maybe I should find out, because I put my hair up with pencils, too. Colored pencils? That sounds so fun looking!

Honestwitness
July 13th, 2011, 08:43 PM
I like being able to grab a pencil, too, because they're usually so handy. However, I can usually feel a bit of drag when I push the point into my bun. I believe it's from the tiny gap between the harder wood and the softer lead. For my easily damaged, fine hair, I have concluded that is not a good thing. I really prefer double-pointed knitting needles, because they are so smooth. They are a bit more expensive than pencils, but they do come in some nice colors.

QueenJoey
July 13th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Ooh, I do know what you mean by the drag. And then when you take out the pencil, some strands get caught. (shudder)

I just like using them because I think they make me look kinda studious, and there's never a shortage of them.

C.H.
July 13th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Funny you should mention this. I have been meaning to get out my colored pencils and put them in my hair to get some ideas on what colors look best in my hair. Thanks for the reminder!

kahill
July 13th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Sometimes at work I'll use a pencil, but I always make sure that it's perfectly sharpened and smooth because I've had hair get caught around the lead, too. As long as you can make sure your hair doesn't get caught, I can't see the harm in using the pencils, but just be careful and if you feel any snagging, breaking, etc. discontinue using them.

For cheap hairsticks, try pretty pointed chopsticks or even knitting needles. My most-used sticks are #7 rosewood knitting needles I picked up at Hobby Lobby. They have a decorative knob on the end, so they look nice. :)

gthlvrmx
July 15th, 2011, 11:01 PM
What you can do is coat the wood on the pencil with nail polish or that nice spray they use to get that glossiness on hairsticks. Or you could of course use knitting needles!

Honestwitness
July 16th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Gthlvrmx, I like your idea about the nail polish. That could amso work for covering up the brand name imprinted on every pencil.

What kind of spray is the one you mention that is used to make hair sticks glossy? I'm very intrigued with that idea!

chahuahuas
July 16th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I agree, interesting idea with the nail polish. I'll have to see if I justify to myself sacrificing some of my colors, though.... lol

BlazingHeart
July 16th, 2011, 08:58 AM
I'm assuming he means some kind of spray wood finish. When I did woodwork, we used Varathane satin finish spray, I think. It worked nicely and it sealed the wood well, which meant that the colors didn't oxidize and change color as much as the wood aged.

If you're looking for cheap hairsticks that aren't pencils, you might try Pacific Merchantile (http://www.etsy.com/shop/PacificMerchantile?ref=fp_ph_1&src=prvshp) or Leginayba (http://www.etsy.com/shop/Leginayba?ref=fp_ph_2&src=prvshp). I have pieces from both. A few of the Leginayba pieces needed a touch of sanding when I got them, but otherwise they seem like a really good value for money (especially the forks).

~Blaze

Mesmerise
July 16th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Yeah, if I want to use a hairstick I use a pencil! I found a nice chunky red pencil of my DD's one day when I wanted to experiment to see if I could get it to hold up a bun! When it worked I continued to wear it.

However, I've yet to get it to work unless my hair is wet when I put it in... if my hair's dry...it just slips straight out and my bun falls apart :(.

GRU
July 16th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Other cheap hairstick ideas:

Children's Chopsticks (http://asianideas.com/chforkibura.html)

Full-size chopsticks cut down to size (and end made pointy with a pencil sharpener) -- you can even get some that have a twisty-design (http://asianideas.com/twchgiset.html) on them. I paint these with nail polish.

Ever the enablinator, I am! :lol:

whichypoohs
July 16th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Knitting needles make great weapons too - a girl never knows when she'll need those

whichypoohs
July 16th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Your hair is gorgeous: I'd like to chop mine off and start again, however, I've been long forever and couldn't bear to go short. I love your colour though.

chahuahuas
July 16th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the hairstick recommendations, but what if I just really like using color pencils? I love bright colors, and I think they look fun. I would like to keep using them often, unless I find out that they're damaging my hair

As to the lead/wood gap, I checked the colored pencils, and my crayola pencils don't seem to have much of a gap. I think maybe they are built a little better than regular pencils, since they are more expensive and the colored 'lead' has a different hardness than graphite?

and whichypoohs, if you are talking about my hair, then thank you? But maybe you're talking about gru?

BlazingHeart
July 16th, 2011, 08:06 PM
As long as it's not catching, I don't see what damage a pencil would do to your hair. Mechanical damage is the only thing I'd worry about, and with a stick-type toy that tends to be pretty obvious, I think.

gthlvrmx
July 16th, 2011, 08:16 PM
I was thinking maybe it'd work since i saw that on squigglyflops instructions to smooth it down, sandpaper and gloss poly spray. That Varathane satin finish spray looks nice too!

http://squiggyflop.tripod.com//id17.html

the wooden area where you you sharpen the color pencil might have some part that may catch some hairs.
Someone else suggested to sandpaper my chopsticks if i were to use them, last i used regular wooden chopsticks, the wood got caught in my hair so many times -_- Not fun.

Thorny
July 16th, 2011, 09:49 PM
I've done this with pencils before. The reason why they snag is that the wood part at the tip that has been sharpened often has little splinters that create fissures where our hair gets caught. You either have to sharpen them and sand them so that the wood is super smooth or use clear nail polish (or a similar lacquer) to seal the part that has been sharpened.

I agree, interesting idea with the nail polish. I'll have to see if I justify to myself sacrificing some of my colors, though.... lol

You don't need to sacrifice your pencils! :) If you use clear nail polish to seal the end the pencil will be usable for drawing again as soon as you sharpen it.

gthlvrmx
July 16th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I've done this with pencils before. The reason why they snag is that the wood part at the tip that has been sharpened often has little splinters that create fissures where our hair gets caught. You either have to sharpen them and sand them so that the wood is super smooth or use clear nail polish (or a similar lacquer) to seal the part that has been sharpened.

You don't need to sacrifice your pencils! :) If you use clear nail polish to seal the end the pencil will be usable for drawing again as soon as you sharpen it.
Yya thank you for helping with that! A cheap and easy way without having to spend all the money and time ordering online :p

C.H.
July 16th, 2011, 11:35 PM

I can totally afford to sacrifice some colored pencils to a greater hair toy purpose. I have such a collection from various sets I've accummulated over the years. I have a large set of prismacolors, plus at least three packs of crayolas. I have no idea why I have so many. I could probably even create matching pairs.

clarinette
July 17th, 2011, 12:10 AM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pencil-Shaped-Chinese-Chopsticks-Hair-Stick-4pcs-EGHL67-/380337502546?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Kitchen_Cutlery_PP&hash=item588de1b952
Look at those :D

C.H.
July 17th, 2011, 12:21 AM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pencil-Shaped-Chinese-Chopsticks-Hair-Stick-4pcs-EGHL67-/380337502546?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Kitchen_Cutlery_PP&hash=item588de1b952
Look at those :D

I've come across these before. Cute idea, but too long for me. Some people are cool with the standard chopstick length, though.

PianoPlaye
July 17th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Another hairtoy that I have in the house?! (I've played with a plastic picnic fork & a tothbrush so far)
Now, can I riffle through the lads' Art Drawer without being caught.... :D

chahuahuas
July 17th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Instead of having matching colors, I like picking two colors of the same shade. I think they look really great together. Sometimes I'll do other pairings, but different shades of the same color is still my favorite.

gthlvrmx
July 17th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Instead of having matching colors, I like picking two colors of the same shade. I think they look really great together. Sometimes I'll do other pairings, but different shades of the same color is still my favorite.
Oh! Paintbrushes of course! For those artsy feeling days as well :p
Love the color pencil idea, simple :)

Aredhel77
July 17th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Another hairtoy that I have in the house?! (I've played with a plastic picnic fork & a tothbrush so far)
Now, can I riffle through the lads' Art Drawer without being caught.... :D

[HIJACK] just happen to be playing with an owl bookmark today, similar to this:

http://www.mindbodyspiritonline.co.uk/owl-glitter-bookmark-redbrown-4880-p.asp

I think it looks quite cute lopsided in my cinnabun.

[/END HIJACK :p :eyebrows:]

C.H.
July 17th, 2011, 04:59 PM

Hmm. That sounds even better. I've already stated in other threads that I like pairs that are similar but not identical. Don't know why I didn't think of this with the colored pencils.

chahuahuas
July 17th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Hmm. That sounds even better. I've already stated in other threads that I like pairs that are similar but not identical. Don't know why I didn't think of this with the colored pencils.

I'll have to take a pic of my hair french twisted with my green and light green pencils. I think it looks awesome :)

Muntchka
August 2nd, 2011, 03:14 AM
I haven't notice any harm done by using pencils, and how I love to use them. Although I don't do it as a profession I'm an illustrator so I love to carry some pencils, usually graphite 2H. And it's always funny when someone ask for something to write with and you say "oh I have a pencil!" even when you don't have pockets or any purse with you.

chahuahuas
August 2nd, 2011, 08:25 AM
I'll have to take a pic of my hair french twisted with my green and light green pencils. I think it looks awesome :)

Hee! I did it, but I didn't link to it on this thread. Here's the link to the my color pencil 'do! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=75151) :)

And one of the pics:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8222&pictureid=108658

I tried to do the color pencils in varying shades (the greens) and a complementing color (the purples!) I didn't match it to my outfit, but my outfit was plain ol' black and off-white, so I think this spruced it up with extra colors! :D

Cowgirl16
August 2nd, 2011, 09:48 AM
I don't think pencils would cause that much damage; unless your careless putting them in. I think it is a cute idea :D your better able to match your outfit :p

KittyLost
August 2nd, 2011, 11:01 AM
I do this with unsharpened pencils, as in never been used. I get funky pencils with giraffes on the end and use them quite well :) i've not noticed damage and it's cute.

C.H.
August 2nd, 2011, 11:33 AM
Hee! I did it, but I didn't link to it on this thread. Here's the link to the my color pencil 'do! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=75151) :)

And one of the pics:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8222&pictureid=108658

I tried to do the color pencils in varying shades (the greens) and a complementing color (the purples!) I didn't match it to my outfit, but my outfit was plain ol' black and off-white, so I think this spruced it up with extra colors! :D

This really does look fantastic, Chuahuas! Very inspiring. I have wanted to do french twists all my life, but now that I've finally learned how to do it I have too much hair for it to actually look good.

chahuahuas
August 2nd, 2011, 01:59 PM
This really does look fantastic, Chuahuas! Very inspiring. I have wanted to do french twists all my life, but now that I've finally learned how to do it I have too much hair for it to actually look good.
Awww, thanks! :o

GlassWidow
August 2nd, 2011, 02:23 PM
The colored pencils are such a cute idea! I liked the double ended knitting needle idea, too, so I googled it....have you guys seen these yet???

http://www.knitpicks.com/needles/8_Harmony_Wood_Double_Pointed_Knitting_Needles__Dk pdpn8wd.html

So, pretty, and they come in all different sizes. I just may have to order some...

C.H.
August 2nd, 2011, 06:47 PM
The colored pencils are such a cute idea! I liked the double ended knitting needle idea, too, so I googled it....have you guys seen these yet???

http://www.knitpicks.com/needles/8_Harmony_Wood_Double_Pointed_Knitting_Needles__Dk pdpn8wd.html

So, pretty, and they come in all different sizes. I just may have to order some...

Those are perfect for hairsticks! Thanks for the link.